All 200 Austin American Statesman employees offered severance package

Horn Under a Bad Sign

Ahori Si, the Austin American Statesman's Spanish-language newspaper, is being killed off. Also, all 200 employees of the Statesman have been offered severance packages if they leave next month.

https://www.statesman.com/business/statesman-end-ahora-offer-voluntary-severance-all-employees/tENrq1FeHfgoAIe9hNeGRM/

Meanwhile, Trump's tariffs on Canadian newsprint are drastically increasing costs, hastening the demise of local newspapers all over the country:

https://m.chron.com/business/article/Trump-s-Newsprint-Tariffs-Hasten-Local-13143351.php

21 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Meanwhile, Trump's tariffs on Canadian newsprint are drastically increasing costs, hastening the demise of local newspapers all over the country:

I don't know anyone who gets our local paper in print anymore.  Like me, they read it online.  Hard copy is printed and available at some stores, but it is no longer delivered.  

Hodor - is that referring to Ahora Sí employees (of which there are 200) or the entirety of the staff of the Austin American Statesman?
Ahora Sí, the American-Statesman’s weekly Spanish-language newspaper, will cease publication Oct. 11, the company said Thursday.

**The announcement came at the same time the Statesman announced all its 200-plus employees would be eligible to take a voluntary severance package.**

I'm confused...is all of the spanish division being shut down and part of the statesman's staff (those 200)?  Or are they getting rid of all their employees - I would think they have more than 200?  I can't tell if my drinking or your posting is the culprit here. 

AUSTIN, Texas

The Austin American-Statesman is shutting down its weekly Spanish-language newspaper, Ahora Si, effective Oct. 11.

It also is offering voluntary severance packages to all of the Statesman's more-than-200 employees.

The newspaper management said those granted the severance packages would leave their jobs next month. The management did not say how many jobs it was cutting.

Statesman publisher Susie Biehle said managers will consider staffer buyout offers according to the newspaper's continuing business and news coverage needs.

Edited by yaqdum

More like, Adios, No.
Like, maybe no one reads it and they canned it.

The entire newspaper industry is going completely, utterly down the toilet.  And that's usually a good thing.
This has shit to do with trade wars.
It has shit to do with the Statesman itself is hemorrhaging money and needs to cut costs.

Any newspaper worth a shit knows it's going to have to appeal to online-Gen zzzz whatever readers, who don't like the same things their granddaddies did.
Simple get with the times or die.

The day the last print newspaper folds (which I hope is soon) I will be dancing on its greasy printing-ink grave.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

More like, Adios, No.

The entire newspaper industry is going completely, utterly down the toilet.  And that's usually a good thing.
It has shit to do with the Statesman itself is hemorrhaging money and needs to cut costs.

Any newspaper worth a shit knows it's going to have to appeal to online-Gen zzzz whatever readers, who don't like the same things their granddaddies did.

The day the last print newspaper folds (which I hope is soon) I will be dancing on its greasy printing-ink grave.

The Austin Chronicle is a great read every week. I hope it survives.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phdhorn said:

More like, Adios, No.

The people are the only censors of their governors: and even their errors will tend to keep these to the true principles of their institution. To punish these errors too severely would be to suppress the only safeguard of the public liberty. The way to prevent these irregular interpositions of the people is to give them full information of their affairs thro’ the channel of the public papers, & to contrive that those papers should penetrate the whole mass of the people. The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers & be capable of reading them. -- Thomas Jefferson

16 hours ago, phdhorn said:

More like, Adios, No.

You should have thrown in a line about saving trees.  Could have saved you from some of the salty feedback.  

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The people are the only censors of their governors: and even their errors will tend to keep these to the true principles of their institution. To punish these errors too severely would be to suppress the only safeguard of the public liberty. The way to prevent these irregular interpositions of the people is to give them full information of their affairs thro’ the channel of the public papers, & to contrive that those papers should penetrate the whole mass of the people. The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers & be capable of reading them. -- Thomas Jefferson

Shorter sentences, Tom!  (My guess is that Tom would be on the Internets sandblasting today's newspapers, Renaissance Man that he was).

Edited by phdhorn

On 8/10/2018 at 11:52 PM, futureman said:

I get two different papers delivered every day and enjoy the fuck out of them over a cup of hot coffee. 

Same here. I get the NYT and the WSJ. I get caffeine-drunk and flip between "Oh My God We're All Gonna Die" of the NYT and the "Oh My God Half of Us Are Gonna Die, Buy Plastics" of the WSJ.

Then I put them in the corner where the puppy has her emergency poop spot. Try doing that with an iPad.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.statesman.com/news/local/publisher-editor-announce-departures-from-statesman/oRbz0gEXIISQsDVLb1gInL/

Publisher Susie Biehle and Editor Debbie Hiott announced Monday that they are leaving the American-Statesman.

Biehle has been the newspaper’s publisher since November 2012, and Hiott has been editor since November 2011. The announcement of their departures comes five months after GateHouse Media finalized its purchase of the Statesman from Cox Enterprises, which had owned the paper for 41 years.

Leave it to the statesman to ambiguously report their own story.. Every time I read one if their articles I walk away with unanswered questions or slight confusion. Shitty writing is shitty.

But.. it will be somewhat of a loss to lose local coverage of some sort. Hopefully a leaner statesman can still deliver the basics, or something better will fill the void. 

22 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

Leave it to the statesman to ambiguously report their own story.. Every time I read one if their articles I walk away with unanswered questions or slight confusion. Shitty writing is shitty.

But.. it will be somewhat of a loss to lose local coverage of some sort. Hopefully a leaner statesman can still deliver the basics, or something better will fill the void. 

Nope and nope. It's like saying "Hey, I really like how four of our starting offensive linemen went out for the season in training camp! I really believe our five scholarship linemen will be able to run our basic offense, or hey, maybe ten walk-ons will be better than our scholarship guys!"