¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

I’ve read that while a coral snek’s venom is highly toxic, because of its particular bite it doesn’t inject as much venom as other sneks, so human bites are rarely fatal. Is that right [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention]?
No reported deaths in Texas from a coral snake bite since the antivenin was developed in 1960. Before that it was mainly aggies.
  • Hook 'Em 4

I’ve read that while a coral snek’s venom is highly toxic, because of its particular bite it doesn’t inject as much venom as other sneks, so human bites are rarely fatal. Is that right [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention]?

I think it’s a combination of factors. But here is a good article that pokes holes in myths about coral snakes.

http://thevenominterviews.com/2016/06/02/mythbusting-coral-snakes/
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

A couple of years ago Homesickhorn and I met this high school kid into herping out on snake road. He knew quite a lot about snakes and helped us shine a ton of sleeping rough green snakes asleep in trees. Now he is studying at aggy, but I follow him on Instagram to see all the snakes he finds. Well, he posted this yesterday:

baec2faf4dcf99bb6b85fbf373624554.jpg

f283ad9f5e7a0044ea74ab4bde34ece7.jpg

He went to the hospital and was in the ICU but will be fine. Along with the bite, his ego is bruised because of doing something dumb. I told him I am glad he is ok, but this is what happens to people that study at TAMU.

How the fuck did he manage to get bitten? Did he grab the coral snake and rub its head with his finger?

Did a little work at the hole and round this fella under the treehouse. Broad banded copperhead. Maybe 2.5ft long and as pretty stout.

20230507_132858.thumb.jpg.61dec39e10c5b7c080297bb746bf84c1.jpg

Enhance!:

20230507_132938.thumb.jpg.d0c2baf892263bc5dd2a82ef017d4564.jpg

Figuring he liked the water trough that had a few inches of rain in it, I dumped the trough. The ruckus made him hide in the bucket, which with convenient nope rope handle and a long painter extension pole made it easy to relocate a ways yonder. In laws wanted me to kill it, but I stayed my hand. So i think we are cool now.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I have a deep-seeded primal fear of sneks. They scare me shitless, and no way am I getting as close to them as other folks on this thread. I still have the occasional nightmare of being surrounded by a bunch of venomous sneks like in a Raiders of the Lost Ark scene. 

But at the same time, when I was a kid I had a geeky fascination with sneks. I would always check out snek books from the library, and any one there was a TV show about sneks I’d be watching. Even today I can go down a Wiki or YouTube rabbit hole about sneks. Which is why this has been one of my favorite threads on Surly (and Shaggy before it).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Puerto escondido mexico. 

of course Mrs Bob says authoritatively it is NOT a yellow bellied sea snek because it’s tail stripes aren’t identical to the googles images

Tell her to let it bite her then. If it's a ribbon eel with similar markings, it won't be venemous.

21 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

She moved in - in March. Inspection probably would have happened in February? Snakes probably weren't too active then and still in their den. I bet the previous owner was really motivated to sell before spring.

31 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

@thunderlounge

Where is this? 

Plain bellied water snake? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Cole County, MO. 

Thinking a Northern Water Snek (Nerodia sipedon). 

Let me rephrase that. I’m hoping that is what it was. 

IMG_9490.thumb.jpeg.1d5a5dd424a8d7f14766a643ed353d92.jpeg

As opposed to this…

IMG_9489.thumb.jpeg.c274c3b95fca7806170015bcb5d9de99.jpeg

Color pattern was very similar to one of those. It wasn’t as fat as I’d figure a moc to be for it’s size. Maybe 3ft. Was hard to tell from where I was, and couldn’t really get closer. 

Pretty sure that's a coachwhip. 
I went for a hike last week in the Saguaro National Park  a little after dawn. At one point I got turned around and wound up on a very narrow track with brush alongside. I was hoping to see a kingsnake and hoping not to encounter a mojave green, but I did see a black coachwhip. Super cool. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

After all the rain we had here in Houston I thought snake road would be active. Sun was out and temps were good. The amount of water on the road was reminiscent of two years ago. Unfortunately I couldn’t make it out at dusk so I had to settle for the afternoon. And unfortunately, no big targets were observed. I lost count of ribbon snakes but it was at least 15. One rat snake and a few plain bellied water snakes. I actually was just content to see all the animals moving around (snakes, armadillos, turtles, frogs, birds). I only took one photo of a snake. /blog

660bb2a9574cc7ada09efc3f2854c8d4.jpg

eced1eb7b0fc6f9c9964ca9abb183362.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

After all the rain we had here in Houston I thought snake road would be active. Sun was out and temps were good. The amount of water on the road was reminiscent of two years ago. Unfortunately I couldn’t make it out at dusk so I had to settle for the afternoon. And unfortunately, no big targets were observed. I lost count of ribbon snakes but it was at least 15. One rat snake and a few plain bellied water snakes. I actually was just content to see all the animals moving around (snakes, armadillos, turtles, frogs, birds). I only took one photo of a snake. /blog

660bb2a9574cc7ada09efc3f2854c8d4.jpg

eced1eb7b0fc6f9c9964ca9abb183362.jpg

Where is snake road?