¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I do think it’s a gopher, but it’s weird. Like a Trans-Pecos Rat Snake.

Exactly, the front end sure looks more like a trans Pecos rat snake, and the markings are not quite what you would expect from a gopher snake. Also, the head just isn’t quite right. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 7:42 PM, 4th and 5 said:

Exactly, the front end sure looks more like a trans Pecos rat snake, and the markings are not quite what you would expect from a gopher snake. Also, the head just isn’t quite right. 

Could the front end be less fully developed, since it is a juvenile? My vague sense in walking past this guy was that the head made it look like a young-un. But I am not a snake naturalist so I don't really know anything.

Took my girls out to snake road. Temperature was hovering around 72-73 which is about the minimum to see snakes being active. Barely caught a glimpse of a water snake as it fled into a creek. On the second pass we saw this healthy cottonmouth. Maybe 2.5’ and lethargic due to the temp. Girls were excited. My 6 year old want to get a pic of me holding it with my hook. Need to see how those turned out.

a2ec08601b04c77eae419c172cb797d5.jpg

e1faa21befdab84a5e985ffc3f9b486c.jpg

Juvenile racer and a ribbon got away from me. Girls had enough for the day, but on the way home saw this large skin. Figured Ratsnake due to its location, but looking at it closer it seemed to be a coachwhip.

b7054483007ef25298aaf013a4e2a013.jpg

I didn’t want to leave because it seemed like things were starting to move around. Oh well.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 4/9/2023 at 4:03 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Took my girls out to snake road. Temperature was hovering around 72-73 which is about the minimum to see snakes being active. Barely caught a glimpse of a water snake as it fled into a creek. On the second pass we saw this healthy cottonmouth. Maybe 2.5’ and lethargic due to the temp. Girls were excited. My 6 year old want to get a pic of me holding it with my hook. Need to see how those turned out.

a2ec08601b04c77eae419c172cb797d5.jpg

e1faa21befdab84a5e985ffc3f9b486c.jpg

Juvenile racer and a ribbon got away from me. Girls had enough for the day, but on the way home saw this large skin. Figured Ratsnake due to its location, but looking at it closer it seemed to be a coachwhip.

b7054483007ef25298aaf013a4e2a013.jpg

I didn’t want to leave because it seemed like things were starting to move around. Oh well.

coachwhips climb trees. I don't know if they shed in trees.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it belongs here as well. Podcast with Paul Rosolie, an American Conservationist living in the Peruvian Jungle for many years. Some cool stories about anacondas and cobras (from time when he lived in India). 

This is a great listen.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to go to Austin today for something and stopped off at a flip spot I know. Two very bitey coachwhips. In fact, one tagged me on the forearm to dissuade me from grabbing him. Which worked. Hard to grab a snake/take photo while propping a board up with other hand. He retreated to a tree and when I tried to grab him, he bolted. Little shit.

263496b592891eb8fff2eba218844d6c.jpg

d249f16fa91867fa907d95d1b5e31ac0.jpg

Everyone should have a snake grabber tool imo. I like snakes from a distance but am not excited about grabbing them, especially anything venomous. It is less than 50 bucks and the snakes can be moved somewhere to continue killing pests. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Everyone should have a snake grabber tool imo. I like snakes from a distance but am not excited about grabbing them, especially anything venomous. It is less than 50 bucks and the snakes can be moved somewhere to continue killing pests. 

Have you considered TRT? Because everyone knows a man dispatches snakes with a gun.

22 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Found this guy at my back door. Relocated him to the woods way away from my house. I love these dudes, just stay farther from my back door bro.53f0354a799143b671557501731d29a7.jpg

My wife saw a juvenile coral this morning in Mueller. They out here in these  streets greenbelts. 

On 5/2/2023 at 7:00 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

Found this guy at my back door. Relocated him to the woods way away from my house. I love these dudes, just stay farther from my back door bro.53f0354a799143b671557501731d29a7.jpg

The only thing worse than getting bitten by one, albeit extremely unlikely, is the Nextdoor diarrhea that comes with a sighting. 

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:40 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

coachwhips climb trees. I don't know if they shed in trees.

Not sure if they shed in trees, but I know they shed in kitchen ranges.  First time I took my GF (now my wife) to the deer lease when we were dating, I opened up the door to the old pier & beam cabin, turned to my right, and there was a 6' coachwhip shed contorted around the burners on the gas range.  She wasn't too thrilled.  Also saw a massive blue indigo that afternoon coming back from the blind.  That ranch in Live Oak County was very snakey.  

49 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The only thing worse than getting bitten by one, albeit extremely unlikely, is the Nextdoor diarrhea that comes with a sighting. 

I released it in a section of our park that is probably 8-10 acres of heavily wooded cover. You cant even walk into it without getting destroyed by briar. A group of board members were meeting about something at the park and saw me dump something. They flagged me down and asked what I was doing, I told them. All but one about lost their damn minds. 

My response:

image.png.249d2e2cf9628e8e2c01c1fd87e19eb9.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I released it in a section of our park that is probably 8-10 acres of heavily wooded cover. You cant even walk into it without getting destroyed by briar. A group of board members were meeting about something at the park and saw me dump something. They flagged me down and asked what I was doing, I told them. All but one about lost their damn minds. 

My response:

image.png.249d2e2cf9628e8e2c01c1fd87e19eb9.png

Should've told them they're cannibalistic so you were doing it to control the Coral Snake population.

My end of the street went on full lockdown / panic mode On Tuesday because there was “a BIG snake at least a foot to a foot and a half long” sighted in my next door neighbor’s flower bed. 

I am honestly dumbfounded some Panicky Patsy didn’t call 911.  

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Really pretty cotton mouth.  From a distance I thought it was a copperhead because it was so light.  Just a juvenile so will get darker as it gets older.

What was the terrain like?  Was it color matching?  It looks like sand/rock.  I mean weas it born brown or did it change based on environment?

20 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This is the Katy prairie. Should be much darker. Here is another from a couple months ago, same road.

Well I guess the road babies are browner.  Juveniles I've found near water/heavy vegetation are blacker/much darker but still with with juvi pattern.