¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

Our dog has started to relax behind/under some bushes next to the house. Over the years, I've found numerous smaller diamond backs close by. Question, will snakes avoid an area if it "smells" like a potential predator is active in the area?

I honestly don’t know but I am inclined to think not particularly. Maybe someone else has a good answer.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I honestly don’t know but I am inclined to think not particularly. Maybe someone else has a good answer.

I don't think the smell of predators deters snakes. But predators like cats and dogs can kill or drive away rodents. That in turn results in fewer snakes around, since they are generally looking for food.

Edit to add, this is to @Steel Shank, get your dog the snake vaccine at the vet. Its cheap and it works.

Edited by texastough
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Also, do the moth balls really work to ward off snakes sneks?

No, they don't. There is not a product that you can spread to keep snakes away. Full stop, period. Keeping the area around your house free of brush/debris, and free of rodents is how you keep snakes away.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, JMFP said:

Was told to use the crystals, that the naphthalene really irritated/burned their belly scales.

Nothing actually works.  Spreading moth balls or crystals around your yard isn't a good idea.  Naphthalene is a pesticide that isn't great for the environment, is toxic to pets, and could kill plants.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, capnamerca said:

No, they don't. There is not a product that you can spread to keep snakes away. Full stop, period. Keeping the area around your house free of brush/debris, and free of rodents is how you keep snakes away.

Outdoor cats are pretty good at keeping them away, or well keeping them decapitated in your back yard. I'd rather have snakes than cats though.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Outdoor cats are pretty good at keeping them away, or well keeping them decapitated in your back yard. I'd rather have snakes than cats though.

Definitely pro-snake when it comes to cats, also pro-coyote when it comes to cats.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Nothing actually works.  Spreading moth balls or crystals around your yard isn't a good idea.  Naphthalene is a pesticide that isn't great for the environment, is toxic to pets, and could kill plants.

I throw them under my shed. Dog aint' getting under there and I don't give a shit about the flora that doesn't grow under it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just finding this thread.  I live in a rural area (NE TX) plus I do a fair bit of hiking so I see quite a few sneks.  Oddly enough, despite growing up in the country, I have never seen a coral or rattlesnake in the wild.  Nor have a ever seen a scorpion in the wild except for a recent trip to Zambia where I found one in my hotel room.  Have seen my fair share of copperheads, watermoccasins, and a wide assortment of nonvenemous sneks.

The below snek was at least 4' long.  Not sure what he is as it scampered away before I could get out of the truck for a closer look.image.thumb.jpeg.ab7442aa16d4d13cb5803d331d6a07fc.jpeg

My son is working for a junk removal company. He is supposed the haul off this pile of crap at a cell tower site.  He was advised to either nope out if possible or proceed with extreme caution.

IMG_6771.jpeg

Edited by SurlyGator
Autocorrect blows.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Indeed a rat. 

Pops been relocating it from the side of their garage to the woods for the last week. Said it’s been a bit aggressive about it all.

I had a Rat Snake that kept coming back to my deck. I documented it with pictures on this thread a long time ago. Turns out there was a hole in the soffit that a sparrow had decided to nest in. I got rid of the nest and patched the hole, took the snake far away and the problem went away. I'd guess there is an attractive nuisance, somewhere near the garage, at play.

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

That was one thought I had. The other was maybe their own  nest was somewhere real close. 

They can be persistent fuckers. Good thing they are harmless.

ETA: Nice to see your Pops isn't a hoe to the head kinda guy. Good for him.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Hook 'Em 3

Sorry for the shit pic, but I was trying to keep my dog from attacking the dude. I think this is a coachwhip. Super long and skinny, kept its head 4-6" off the ground when moving like it was a cobra. I was moving our redneck pool and it was under it. Scared the shit out of me at first. Then saw it was a good snek.
e471b70c3a96398a8a4e8becef868f10.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Jerry Callo said:
4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:
They eat rattler babies right? I saw 5 rattlers today, from juvenile to a huge fucker while doing tractor work at the ranch. Rattlers are everywhere here.

Yes. I'd want that coachwhip around if you're seeing rattlesnakes.

Sweet. Well it went unmolested other than accidentally disturbing its temporary home.

I actually just missed a coachwhip this evening. Took a drive with my pops through Aransas Wildlife Refuge. Saw it on the road by
It some floridas asshole was right on my ass driving too fast through the park. I pulled off the road and turned around but by this point he was starting to move and I as approached he bolted. Only saw two other snakes but not close enough to ID, but I suspect checkered garter and ribbon.

20 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I actually just missed a coachwhip this evening. Took a drive with my pops through Aransas Wildlife Refuge. Saw it on the road by
It some floridas asshole was right on my ass driving too fast through the park. I pulled off the road and turned around but by this point he was starting to move and I as approached he bolted. Only saw two other snakes but not close enough to ID, but I suspect checkered garter and ribbon.

I need to get you out here. Mostly rattlesnakes but I bet you would find the coachwhips. I have seen several but they usually bolt super fast. This one lingered. I actually thought I was shooting a video and only after it took off, realized it was that one pic. Fml.

Coachwhips are really fast. I had a 6 footer for a while in 6th grade. A buddy and I traded an Alligator lizard we caught for the coachwhip.

Herp trade with a middle school science teacher. I can't imagine a teacher giving a six foot snake to two 6th graders these days.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1