The Decline of Paul Ryan

Hugo Stiglitz

We must never forget about this motherfucker.

He’s been laying low allowing people like Nunes, Jordan, and Goodlatte to run the coverup.

They get to do that because Paul Ryan is allowing it to go on.

Trump’s abuse of power and constant lies are directly connected to Paul Ryan not doing his duty.

I loathe Paul Ryan more than Trump. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

34 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We must never forget about this motherfucker.

He’s been laying low allowing people like Nunes, Jordan, and Goodlatte to run the coverup.

They get to do that because Paul Ryan is allowing it to go on.

Trump’s abuse of power and constant lies are directly connected to Paul Ryan not doing his duty.

I loathe Paul Ryan more than Trump. 

Why didn't you just post this in the "Paul Ryan is badass AF and I want him to be Speaker" thread? The title and history of that thread alone is a great commentary on Paul Ryan.

Are we going to get a number of replicated threads titled "The Decline of..." similar to Bill O'Reilly's lame "Killing" series?

37 minutes ago, F250 said:

Why didn't you just post this in the "Paul Ryan is badass AF and I want him to be Speaker" 

Misleading thread title.  I’m not going to bump a thread that praises Paul Ryan in the thread title. He doesn’t deserve it. 

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

"Before I go to jail, remember all the good things I did."

No shit. Came within a short hair of repealing ACA with no demonstrable plan to replace it with something that would work as well. Assholes.

Edited by retread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/he-was-the-future-of-the-party-ryans-farewell-triggers-debate-about-his-legacy/2018/12/18/f4f145fc-02df-11e9-9122-82e98f91ee6f_story.html

But after two decades in the House and three years as speaker, the Wisconsin Republican’s long-term legacy is already a matter of fierce debate inside his own party.

While Ryan shepherded a broad GOP tax bill last year and negotiated major increases in military spending, his repeated promises to sweepingly address the solvency and growing costs of two mandatory government programs — Social Security and Medicare — never happened, even though Republicans controlled all levers of government for the past two years.

Ryan often spoke of the imperative of fiscal discipline, especially during the eight years of the Obama administration. But the nation’s red ink has grown since Ryan became speaker, soaring from $438 billion in 2015 to $779 billion this year. And many economists blame the tax cut as a culprit as next year’s deficit is projected to hit nearly $1 trillion.

Politically, the picture is just as bleak, according to a bloc of Ryan’s former fellow-travelers in the conservative intellectual sphere. His brand of aspirational conservatism has shown little currency in the face of President Trump’s brash populism, and November’s midterms put an exclamation point on Ryan’s efforts to insulate the GOP from Trump: Republicans lost 40 seats, their worst showing in 44 years, and relinquished the House majority.

“He was the future of the party, but it’s been a disappointing couple of years,” said William Kristol, a conservative commentator and Trump critic who has known Ryan for decades. “He was in a tough situation and didn’t make the best of it.”

Ryan and his allies are arguing the opposite in these final weeks, making the case that the pointed critiques ignore the political reality of the Trump era, in which traditional conservatives like Ryan have been forced to seek wins where they can and otherwise play defense against Trump’s bad impulses.

His farewell address, to be delivered in the Great Hall of the Library of Congress, will seek to highlight those victories and acknowledge how and why he fell short elsewhere, said an aide familiar with his planned remarks.

Yet the journey from beacon of the GOP’s future to emblem of its tumultuous present has Republicans — who, nearly to a person, say they like Ryan personally — grappling with whether he is responsible, alongside Trump, for the party’s drift.

Several longtime friends of Ryan declined to make public comments, citing their private disappointment in him and saying Ryan would be personally hurt if they shared their blunt assessments. “Paul doesn’t want to believe it’s all as bad as it is,” one said.

Zwick said Ryan will pursue private-sector opportunities while remaining engaged in the same issues he promoted in his political career, including tax and entitlement reform and poverty policy.

This lying motherfucker, acting like he was somehow helpless against Trump.

Bitch, you threw your legs open for him so fast, even Stormy Daniels blushed.

And he’s going to pursue private sector opportunities AKA lobbying.

At least he can be a shameless whore on someone else’s dime for a change.

• Like 3

When future historians look back and write a book on Speaker Ryan's legacy, it'll be called "Exploding Deficits and the Furrowed Brows that Created Them."

This photo really captures his essence. Could be used on the cover.

paul-ryan-weights.jpg

And people considered him a policy "wonk".  The asshole doesn't have the intellect god gave a cockroach.  Which brings to mind a comparison between Ryan and cockroaches, which ends up being an insult to the roaches.

But check this shithead into the roach motel, please.

Is Paul Ryan calling his dumb irresponsible tax cut giveaway "tax reform?" As if it could only be accomplished by a true visionary and radical thinker? 

"Tax reform was just an idea..." Bwahahahaha. Yeah, dude. Dare to dream the impossible dream. As if the 1% who control about 40% of this country's wealth sat around hopeless, waiting for a heroic genius to come along. Shit. The Koch brothers probably had a bunch of accountants and lobbyists draw up the damn legislation and delivered it to Paul Ryan with a briefcase full of money. 

You need to translate Ryanspeak into English:

That’s when I [and the rich and powerful people that own me] decided to go big and put together a completely comprehensive plan to update the nation’s entitlement system cut benefits for the poors and reform the tax code give the poors' benefits to billionaires, hedge fund managers, and corporations in the form of tax relief.

• Like 9

Ryan was never about "reform."  His game was always about simply cutting taxes and gutting entitlements to pay for it.  First, he'd cut taxes and increase the debt.  Then, he'd use the debt as an excuse to cut SS and Medicare.  Oh, and this was the same person who got SSDI as a teenager and then spent his entire career trying to gut SS before he retired as on a government pension at 48.  Fuck Paul Ryan.

• Like 7

Lies really are the staple product of the GOP aren't they?

Hearing Ryan decry partisanship the first thing that popped into my mind was his refusal to allow a vote in the house on a comprehensive immigration bill that would have fixed the majority of issues we still face today.  I even heard a retiring US congressman republican lament that the bill didn't pass.. because of lack of support from right wing Republicans and the democrats.  Which of course is a lie!  The reason that is a lie?  The bill would have passed EASILY if simply given a vote, instead the purely partisan ryan refused to bring it to the floor if he could not pass it with ONLY GOP votes.  Hard to get more fucking partisan than that.

I guess when you have embraced so many lies for so long, and lied about your principles for so long, actually believing the lies you created should be expected.

It's good news that the Cowardly Ryan is moving on to cash in on his fake principles.

34 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Hearing Ryan decry partisanship the first thing that popped into my mind was his refusal to allow a vote in the house on a comprehensive immigration bill that would have fixed the majority of issues we still face today.  I even heard a retiring US congressman republican lament that the bill didn't pass.. because of lack of support from right wing Republicans and the democrats.  Which of course is a lie!  The reason that is a lie?  The bill would have passed EASILY if simply given a vote, instead the purely partisan ryan refused to bring it to the floor if he could not pass it with ONLY GOP votes.  Hard to get more fucking partisan than that.

The Hastert Rule, only allowing votes where the majority of the majority support it, is the norm now.

The Hastert "child molestor" Rule is the most partisan and divisive thing the GOP has done in Congress.  A principled person (as our founders envisioned) would allow debate and votes.

Ryan was a pure partisan, his regrets about civility and partisanship are a fucking joke. As bad as his workout picture and fake marathon time...

PS the Dems are not much better, but they tend not to be able to act as well because their caucus is simply more diverse. The GOP votes as a block much more effectively, much more often and that has been the case a long time. The GOP blocks good bills that would pass, because their cowardly leader preferred his job over the good of the country.

Edited by horn4life

54 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I guess when you have embraced so many lies for so long, and lied about your principles for so long, actually believing the lies you created should be expected.

It's good news that the Cowardly Ryan is moving on to cash in on his fake principles.

the demos should immediately pass that bill in january.

52 minutes ago, horn4life said:

As the Bloomberg op ed linked earlier noted, Paul Ryan accused Obama in 2012 of ignoring an urgent report from a bipartisan debt commission, when in fact the debt commission never issued its report because Paul Ryan himself torpedoed it. He's always been a lying piece of shit.

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I like how Paul Ryan is acting like he’s taking a victory lap but meanwhile the debt is at an all time high and the government is shut down in his last days as Speaker.

There is no more perfect coda than that for the end of the Ryan era.  The perfection is actually kind of beautiful.

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There is no more perfect coda than that for the end of the Ryan era.  The perfection is actually kind of beautiful.

And the government is shut down precisely because of the failures that underlie his entire speakership.  He could bring the CR to the floor and get it passed with 300+ votes.  But he's too much of a coward to do so and possibly incur the disapproval of the man-child in the White House.

What an abject fucking failure.

• Like 2

THE HASTER RULE is why the GOP is unable to produce any meaningful legislation despite having complete control of ALL three branches of Govenrment! Besides of course the usual blow a giant hole in the deficit with tax cuts. It allows cowards like Ryan to not be a leader, but a bull with a ring in it's nose. 

Well at least Trump will further enrich himself by having the goverment spend a few more million housing security in Mar A Largo while our 220 pound (lie again) baby plays golf.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...