2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

This is absolute dogshit.
Someone needs to man up in the locker room after this game and light a fire.
I get it’s a long season and there will be a terrible stretch, but no excuse for the piss poor execution the last 3 games.

“Carlos Beltran to the white courtesy phone.” And when he picks up, hire him to coach the rest of the year...or longer. 

Seriously, I get that Altuve matters a lot. I’d like to think Correa does too, except his numbers don’t suggest he’s THAT much of a difference maker. I just don’t think getting those two back will suddenly be the total answer, because we weren’t clobbering teams all that’s consistently with them in the lineup. It’s simply going to take more bats. 

36 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Hinch is sometimes full of shit. Pregame he was talking about how Altuve was feeling much better, day to day, bouncing around, itching to go.

He always spouts bullshit like that. At the end of last year Reddick could have gone at anytime according to Hinch and he missed the last two weeks. 

13 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Seriously, I get that Altuve matters a lot. I’d like to think Correa does too, except his numbers don’t suggest he’s THAT much of a difference maker. I just don’t think getting those two back will suddenly be the total answer, because we weren’t clobbering teams all that’s consistently with them in the lineup. It’s simply going to take more bats. 

Look, I get frustrated with the guy too for seemingly always dealing with nagging injuries; he's not exactly Cal Ripken out there in that regard.

But he absolutely makes a huge difference in the lineup. He has a 134 wRC+ for his career, and 128 this year. That 128 ties him for 3rd among SS behind only Lindor and Machado, and it is fairly likely that that number will come up a bit (if he ever plays again). When he's out of the lineup, it means that Marwin or JD Davis is probably in. Marwin is sporting a wRC+ of 86 this year (14% below MLB average) and Davis is at 57 (43% below MLB average). 

So you're taking away a very good bat (+28%) and replacing it with a pretty bad one (-20%). Every day. That's a huge difference. 

Now take Altuve and his wRC+ of 139 out of the lineup also (1st among 2B in MLB), and now you have both Marwin and Davis in. So you're replacing 128 and 139 with 86 and 57. 

The offense is going to be very inconsistent (and very frustrating) with these guys out. Springer and Bregman can only do so much. 

Meh i'd rather altuve and Correa sit and be healthy for the real season in October than beating the rangerettes. Every team has ups and downs in a 162 game season and I have confidence this reigning World Champs will figure it out. 

Springer, Bregman and Gurriel are good enough to get hits and score so they need to step up.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Meh i'd rather altuve and Correa sit and be healthy for the real season in October than beating the rangerettes. Every team has ups and downs in a 162 game season and I have confidence this reigning World Champs will figure it out. 

Springer, Bregman and Gurriel are good enough to get hits and score so they need to step up.

Agreed. It is baseball. 162 games. Shit happens. Injuries happen. About this time last year the Stros got swept by the WSox.

The plan remains the same:

Stay ahead of the Tribe

Get the SS (and now ALMVP) healthy

Get a plan for the Pen 

Agree that there is no reason to panic, but the longer CC is out, the less I am convinced that he is sitting due to "minor low back soreness." That probably shouldn't keep you out for 6 weeks (and counting). 

This lineup, without those 2, is pretty ordinary. Hopefully the club can hover around .500 with both of them out.

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agree that there is no reason to panic, but the longer CC is out, the less I am convinced that he is sitting due to "minor low back soreness." That probably shouldn't keep you out for 6 weeks (and counting). 

This lineup, without those 2, is pretty ordinary. Hopefully the club can hover around .500 with both of them out.

Most teams are when the two best hitters are out. i'll panic when we aren't in first and looking like we won't make the playoffs.

20 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

The problem is there is a real danger of not making the post-season if things go bad wrong.

We had 15 game lead on August 1 last year. It's a little tighter this year.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok well panic away. 

These last two games should have been lay ups. We should have a seven game lead looking to sweep the Rangers heading into a brutal road trip. Instead, we are struggling to take one game from the worst team in the division. We got lucky that the A's and Mariners are also shitting the bed.

It would be nice if our healthy all-star caliber players would step up and lead.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

These last two games should have been lay ups. We should have a seven game lead looking to sweep the Rangers heading into a brutal road trip. Instead, we are struggling to take one game from the worst team in the division. We got lucky that the A's and Mariners are also shitting the bed.

It would be nice if our healthy all-star caliber players would step up and lead.

That's the thing - with Altuve and Correa out of the lineup, there aren't any layups. It's a totally different team. 

Correa has now missed 106 games between 2017-2018. That's 40% of the 268 regular season games. It's phenomenal how well the club has done without him the last 2 years, but his consistent absence will eventually take its toll. 

Luhnow pregame:

Correa close to rehab assignment. Going to workout with team in Seattle. Send to AAA back half of that week. Activate in SF or right after when the team comes back home

Trade deadline:

Feel they've accomplished things they had to accomplish; now working on things they’d like to accomplish but don’t want to give up the farm.

Few other deals they will continue to work on and would like to get done.

MiLB:

Martes: continues to recover. need to build him back up in August. may have him back up in September

Whitley: live bullpen session scheduled next couple of days. Expects back in CC in mid-August. then decide in September to get him innings in fall league/instructional, or bring him up.

Tucker: likes to give at least 50 ABs before re-evaluating which he's quickly approaching. wants to win division as early as possible and will see what makes the most sense in August. May go against the desire of not sending him back down if he continues to struggle. Possibly bring Jake back up. All conversations to be had in the coming weeks.