2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

11 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm as eager as anyone to bash Giles for last night's pathetic display (and already have). But the bigger issue would seem to be why we aren't scoring runs. While the obvious answer is, "We're terrible at situational hitting, on many nights hitting in general," it should be fixable with the talent on our roster.

The obvious answer is we are scoring runs. We’re 5th in MLB in runs scored. 

25 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That number can be deceptive. If we score 12 then 0 we average 6 runs a game. Offense is struggling this year 

If they don’t get at least 2 in the 9th, 31% of the Astros games they have scored 0 or 1 run

it’s almost amazing they are 8 above .500

17 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

If they don’t get at least 2 in the 9th, 31% of the Astros games they have scored 0 or 1 run

it’s almost amazing they are 8 above .500

This.  I’ll keep beating that dead horse till it gets life.  31 games. 10 of them we have scored 1/0 runs.  That’s horrendous. 

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It does. It really does.

But being in first place doesn't suck.

Being 20-12 doesn't suck.

Being the defending world champs doesn't suck.

But losing sucks.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, oh God, yes.

Yes.

I know everyone is assuming that Tucker will be the mid-season call-up to help with outfield offense, but I didn't realize that Yordan Alvarez has been playing LF almost exclusively this year at AA, where he also happens to be absolutely smacking the shit out of the ball.  He's only 6 months younger than Tucker...   

11 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

The offense will eventually come around, and the starting pitching will cool off. We're still in good shape. Just keep grinding and we'll be there at the end.

The offense will get better.

But don't hold your breath waiting for it to look like the 2017 offense. Marwin is back to being Marwin, Gattis looks finished (and he was never that good anyway), and LF is a strikeout hole in the lineup. That's 1/3 of the lineup that is well below average. Right now, there are no answers for these spots. Tucker hasn't been particularly good in AAA yet, though I still think he gets the LF job by midseason. Gattis is pretty worthless - has no defensive position and can't hit. He needs to be removed from the roster. I like Marwin as a utility guy, but he should be in the lineup maybe twice a week.

• Like 1

I think expecting Tucker to be the savior this year is unrealistic for a kid. I really don’t think we see him before September. Next year he should be up early if not opening day. It’s time to start looking for trade targets for DH and OF. Preferably one year rentals that won’t cost an arm and a leg. Jay Bruce and Adam Jones come to mind first. If they decide to go the trade route it’s really a question of how much do you spend to win now versus the future. We’re probably two years away from Tucker, Whitely, Alvarez etc being established major leaguers. By then Verlander, Keuchel, Morton and Cole could all be gone. Along with Reddick. Luhnow is about to earn his money if the offense doesn’t pick up.

Team stats by position:

1B: .236/.314/.340; 84 wRC+

LF: .221/.307/.393; 95 wRC+

CF: .223/.280/.415; 90 wRC+

DH: .193/.272/.289; 60 wRC+

So...44% of the everyday lineup has combined to hit at about 85% of the league average hitter. And those (other than CF) are supposed to be offensive positions. This means that half the lineup everyday is made up of terrible hitters. 

Again, until Gattis stops getting DH ABs and we get a LF who can hit, don't expect this to change much. I have some hope that 1B will improve because Yuli has missed about half the season so far. 

Luhnow was 2 yrs ahead of my in HS.  Just got an email that he'll be the commencement speaker at our HS grad.

He was part of what was called the "Honor Committee."  They oversaw disciplinary matters.  I was called in front of them that year.  I bullshitted my way out of it.

Edited by Sbbruin

2 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I think expecting Tucker to be the savior this year is unrealistic for a kid. I really don’t think we see him before September. Next year he should be up early if not opening day. It’s time to start looking for trade targets for DH and OF. Preferably one year rentals that won’t cost an arm and a leg. Jay Bruce and Adam Jones come to mind first. If they decide to go the trade route it’s really a question of how much do you spend to win now versus the future. We’re probably two years away from Tucker, Whitely, Alvarez etc being established major leaguers. By then Verlander, Keuchel, Morton and Cole could all be gone. Along with Reddick. Luhnow is about to earn his money if the offense doesn’t pick up.

Bruce crossed my mind after the game Tuesday but really don’t see that making sense... although we would be dealing with the mets so who know.

Still, would be a painful/ expensive pill to swalllow though. I don’t think Front Office and Bruce were that far apart on a deal I’m the offseason. now it’ll likely cost at least whatever Astros highest offer was in the offseason + prospects.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Luhnow was 2 yrs ahead of my in HS.  Just got an email that he'll be the commencement speaker at our HS grad.

He was part of what was called the "Honor Committee."  They oversaw disciplinary matters.  I was called in front of them that year.  I bullshitted my way out of it.

So was high school Luhnow a good dude or not?