Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

6 hours ago, markstanco said:

Slorch is posting to the wrong subs and day drinking.  Again. 

Trucks at top of( previous) page.

Day drinking? Unfortunately not today, but I just did my taxes for  a "Holy shit!" moment... and bourbon flowing.

Edited by slorch

On the rally car video on the 3rd and 4th shot, I thought it was actually going back to the first car.  "Nope, that's a 3rd...and then a 4th."

Instead of the 38 photogs being useless next to the wrecks, why didn't anyone go upstream?   Not in the plan?

There's not much more of a Texas photo than this one of my dad and I pulling out the engine of a '65 Chevy C-10 amongst the summertime cedar trees and dirt patches out at Lake Travis. We rebuilt the engine, restored the truck, and turned it into my standard ride throughout high school and time at UT. 
IMG_9007.thumb.JPG.c2900cfff647660da2236b2f45018f34.JPG

Repped as well….but that’s the real deal.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, burntorangebongos said:

Whoever is filming is a complete dumbass. 1. dropped food on the ground like maybe chips by the tent. 2. stuck head/hand out of the tent just to film? That ain't but dumb. Or maybe this is staged and bear is tame?

1 AND 2. Doing it for the internet likes.

On 2/4/2022 at 9:54 AM, burntorangebongos said:

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
Brando, "The King and I", and "The Catcher in the Rye"
Eisenhower, Vaccine, England's got a new queen
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana, goodbye

We didn't start the fire I started the fucking fire you muthafuckas [/Fire Hawk]

• Haha 4

On 2/4/2022 at 7:17 PM, brakeman said:

the series of offs that are all about the same..... followed by a near save that gives you hope someone will make it..... followed by Leeroy Jenkins full sending it straight through the corner despite the other drivers at the corner waiving him to slow down.... 

On 2/5/2022 at 6:31 AM, slorch said:

On the rally car video on the 3rd and 4th shot, I thought it was actually going back to the first car.  "Nope, that's a 3rd...and then a 4th."

Instead of the 38 photogs being useless next to the wrecks, why didn't anyone go upstream?   Not in the plan?

No kidding. They just wanted to continue watching people eat it. 

11 hours ago, mchookem said:

there was a kid in my junior high that could do that - maybe not blindfolded but solve it in a few minutes. i've always figured there was a 'trick' to it but that it requires memorizing like 250 different turns.

our brains are fascinating.

My 10 year old son has been doing those for about a year now.  He sat and watched some YouTubes for a few days learning the algorithms.  He'd learn one series of moves in a day and make sure he knew it before learning the next.  I've never blindfolded him, but I'd be surprised if he can't do it.  Just this weekend he was solving it while having a conversation with me.

They sell cubes that are super easy to turn--speed cubes.  I'm told they drastically reduce your time.  I think his best time was ~1 min.

They also sell different shapes besides the classic 3x3 cube.  2x2, 4x4, triangular pyramid, etc.  He learned the 4x4 at one point but forgot it because he didn't practice much.  It's more involved.

And then for the truly sick and twisted minds, there's this bad boy, and others that looks worse.  My son claims a kid at school can solve it, but I question if he actually means "has solved it".  As in, he watched a video and did it once.

Peralng Megaminx Speed Cube Dodecahedron Puzzle Cubes (Black), high Speed rubiks  Cube Puzzle Toy, Brain Teasers game, Ship from USA - Walmart.com

38 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

My 10 year old son has been doing those for about a year now.  He sat and watched some YouTubes for a few days learning the algorithms.  He'd learn one series of moves in a day and make sure he knew it before learning the next.  I've never blindfolded him, but I'd be surprised if he can't do it.  Just this weekend he was solving it while having a conversation with me.

They sell cubes that are super easy to turn--speed cubes.  I'm told they drastically reduce your time.  I think his best time was ~1 min.

They also sell different shapes besides the classic 3x3 cube.  2x2, 4x4, triangular pyramid, etc.  He learned the 4x4 at one point but forgot it because he didn't practice much.  It's more involved.

And then for the truly sick and twisted minds, there's this bad boy, and others that looks worse.  My son claims a kid at school can solve it, but I question if he actually means "has solved it".  As in, he watched a video and did it once.

Peralng Megaminx Speed Cube Dodecahedron Puzzle Cubes (Black), high Speed rubiks  Cube Puzzle Toy, Brain Teasers game, Ship from USA - Walmart.com

Back during the time of the original Rubik's Cube craze ('81-'82) I was big-time into it.  I bought three different books that had algorithms for solving the original 3x3x3 cube and I worked through them and came up with my own process that combined the methods I read about.  I had three different cubes and one of them was my "speed cube" I would use when timed.  I took it apart and used vaseline on the parts to cut down the friction so I could move it faster.

My middle school had a competition.  You started with your homeroom class then advanced a couple of times until we have twelve kids (four from each grade) advance to the school-wide competition.  I came in third place in the school.  (Yeah, I know, csb.)

I don't remember my fastest time, but I had several that were under a minute.

No way in the world could I do it blindfolded.  That's some next-level, eidetic memory shit.

21 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

eidetic

TIL what eidetic means. 
And you and I are generational peers. I did all of the stuff you mentioned in your post, at the same time, except that my junior high in northern NM didn’t have a competition. I went to one of the worst public school systems in the country, then and now. 

52 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Back during the time of the original Rubik's Cube craze ('81-'82) I was big-time into it.  I bought three different books that had algorithms for solving the original 3x3x3 cube and I worked through them and came up with my own process that combined the methods I read about.  I had three different cubes and one of them was my "speed cube" I would use when timed.  I took it apart and used vaseline on the parts to cut down the friction so I could move it faster.

My middle school had a competition.  You started with your homeroom class then advanced a couple of times until we have twelve kids (four from each grade) advance to the school-wide competition.  I came in third place in the school.  (Yeah, I know, csb.)

I don't remember my fastest time, but I had several that were under a minute.

No way in the world could I do it blindfolded.  That's some next-level, eidetic memory shit.

That’s some cool shit

IMG_9981.GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, nnm said:

TIL what eidetic means. 
And you and I are generational peers. I did all of the stuff you mentioned in your post, at the same time, except that my junior high in northern NM didn’t have a competition. I went to one of the worst public school systems in the country, then and now. 

Well if you’re still going to school some 40 years later, I would have to agree that their schools certainly seem to suck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

For those Rubik's cube competitions, is there a set starting point for how 'messed up' the cube is?  Who gets the cube into that position?

The way it worked was that you handed your cube to the person next to you and they had a minute to scramble it.  Since they were in competition with you, they had incentive to mess it up good.