Favorite torchy's taco

Tap

Stopped by today, went with Migas and a breakfast #1 for lunch. Both were pretty good. Looks like they have rolled out a number of new menu items since last time I stopped in along with some price increases, but I may stick with the breakfast taco for a while.

36 minutes ago, Brew said:

Stopped by today, went with Migas and a breakfast #1 for lunch. Both were pretty good. Looks like they have rolled out a number of new menu items since last time I stopped in along with some price increases, but I may stick with the breakfast taco for a while.

There's just nothing like a $6 breakfast taco in an old Mission cardboard flour tortilla.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...

March TOTM - SCALLYWAG 

lightly breaded coconut shrimp with New Mexico green chiles, bacon, shredded jack cheese, house-made pickled onions, homemade peach habanero jam, and cilantro on a fresh flour tortilla.

IMG_6389.thumb.jpeg.e97fbeac47bfd358bf48c5258bdad58f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Have changed my mind today about torchy's. Went there for lunch. Place was packed. It kinda sucked. I paid attention to the tortillas for the first time and yeah, they kinda sucked. Plus the dude walked around for ten minutes trying to find my table. Just call out the fuckin number. I'd rather go pick my food than the current system. Also the people that work there are not the friendliest type people.

Nm

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/1/2024 at 3:01 PM, Brisketexan said:

I hate Torchys.
That taco probably sucks.
But…I do miss the tortilla fried catfish con queso at Shady Grove. It shouldn’t have worked, yet it was fantastic.

Tortilla fried queso catfish at Shady Grove was a divine dish sent directly from Heaven.  RIP Shady Grove. :(

the rest of my family loves torchy's . . . I think it's very meh (their queso is quite good though).  Anyhoo, last time I was there I did notice their tortillas were different than the store bought walmart-level shit they used to use.  They tasted and looked home-madeish (by somebody).

On 6/1/2024 at 10:17 AM, UTPhil2006 said:

New June TOTM - Alabama Shake 

Fried catfish with flavorful poblano slaw, Peppadew peppers, cotija cheese, avocado sauce, cilantro, and lime wedge, all served on a house-made flour tortilla.

IMG_7128.thumb.jpeg.4257fe829872c0111a1c6712e357bf5b.jpeg

I’ll take one for the Surly team and report back

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I think they mean they take some premade dough and run it through a press. 

If that's what they are doing, that's a HUGE improvement for them.  There's nothing wrong with getting fresh dough made off-site or beforehand, then pressing and cooking.  Hell, Cabo Bob's does that, and their tortillas are pretty damned good.

I still hate the concept of $6 gringo tacos.  But better tortillas would be a big step up.

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If that's what they are doing, that's a HUGE improvement for them.  There's nothing wrong with getting fresh dough made off-site or beforehand, then pressing and cooking.  Hell, Cabo Bob's does that, and their tortillas are pretty damned good.

I still hate the concept of $6 gringo tacos.  But better tortillas would be a big step up.

Meh. It looks like the tortilla equivalent of Subway's "fresh baked" bread. 

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Meh. It looks like the tortilla equivalent of Subway's "fresh baked" bread. 

Maybe, maybe not.  I won't be rushing to Torchy's soon to confirm.  But I do know that the old-school fresh made tortillas at Taco Cabana were plenty good, and the fresh made tortillas at Cabo Bob's are legit good.  Nothing wrong with using pre-made dough (shit, when I make tortillas, the dough rests and sits for a while, so it may not be that different).  Do I trust Torchy's to get it right?  Not really.  But anything is better than those storebought shit tortillas they used for years.

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

the rest of my family loves torchy's . . . I think it's very meh (their queso is quite good though).  Anyhoo, last time I was there I did notice their tortillas were different than the store bought walmart-level shit they used to use.  They tasted and looked home-madeish (by somebody).

Yeah, they have been a lot better lately (at the Escarpment location anyway)