Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

20 minutes ago, sachick said:

you would think they would give Joni Ernst some leadership role so she can stand up there with them.   Whether you agreed with him or not, Orrin Hatch used to be sharp.  I seriously don't know if he knows his name these days.   Unfortunately we all get to the point that we're not allowed to make important decisions for ourselves because of lost mental capabilities.   It's not good that he's making decisions for all of us.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Rand Paul is so jealous right now

I guess he's too busy with Russia

You gotta love the WH and the Senators playing good cop, bad cop. Each side saying that the other was the one driving the scope of the FBI investigation.

Edited by retread

This probably deserves a new thread, but I'll ask it here:

After Kavanaugh is confirmed, which of the fine people on "The List" should Trump nominate next?  I guess we should pick two - one for Thomas' spot and one for Ginsberg's.   So pick two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_Supreme_Court_candidates

I'll go with Hardiman and Kethledge.

2 minutes ago, retread said:

guess he's too busy with Russia

Rand Paul’s absence in this fiasco is curious though.  He never misses these opportunities at quality “both siderism” media attention.

I guess he’s calculated he doesn’t want any appearance of going against dear Cheeto.

They keep talking about 7 background checks. BK's freshman roommate from Yale has been on CNN a couple of times, and he says that the FBI has never talked to him during any of these bg checks. Wonder why they never heard of BK's questionable behavior.

I know that the old white guys that make up the gop don't want to hear this, but a conservative woman on the court would be positive. 

If everyone is equally qualified (as the people who put the list together believe), choose the one that might have had a different life experience than everyone else on the court. 

1 minute ago, retread said:

They keep talking about 7 background checks. BK's freshman roommate from Yale has been on CNN a couple of times, and he says that the FBI has never talked to him during any of these bg checks. Wonder why they never heard of BK's questionable behavior.

You don't look for what you don't know to look for.

This is the fallacy of the argument of "X background checks."  

Just now, seven said:

I know that the old white guys that make up the gop don't want to hear this, but a conservative woman on the court would be positive. 

If everyone is equally qualified (as the people who put the list together believe), choose the one that might have had a different life experience than everyone else on the court. 

Plus women live longer than men.  

1 minute ago, seven said:

If Trump gets to replace Ginsburg, I would be shocked if it wasn't Barrett.

3 minutes ago, seven said:

I think most would actually agree.  

My favorite part of today was Grassley complaining about media bias and how reporters only wanted to interview anti-Kavanaugh protesters.

Because the media has only interviewed die hard Hillary supporters during the 2016 election and afterwards.  

Wait, no they didn’t because those obviously don’t exist.  I can’t go through two media cycles without hearing from everyday Trump voters. 

13 minutes ago, seven said:

Barrett will be next nominated if a seat opens up while Trump is still in office.

20 minutes ago, seven said:

If i'm forced to choose between an old straight white leftist justice and a young black lesbian conservative justice, give me the former any day of the week.

58 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

He has impeccable credentials.   Of course he is qualified.

Let me walk you through this:

Let's say a Supreme Court nominee had impeccable credentials.  Outstanding reputation on the 9th Circuit, whatever.  Thoughtful, articulate, well-reasoned opinion, the whole 9 yards.

And then let's say that nominee had been convicted of murder.

Would he be qualified for a seat on the SCOTUS bench?

• Like 1