Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Herman is having trouble managing the game because he’s constantly having to babysit other coaches. 

I think there's a lot to this.  I think a veteran head coach, who has figured out how to delegate everything without the wheels falling off, can meddle extensively on one side of the ball or the other, but it's waaay too much for a newb like Herman.  

But I'm told he has "attention to detail," that Charlie Strong lacked.  So there's that.

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think there's a lot to this.  I think a veteran head coach, who has figured out how to delegate everything without the wheels falling off, can meddle extensively on one side of the ball or the other, but it's waaay too much for a newb like Herman.  

But I'm told he has "attention to detail," that Charlie Strong lacked.  So there's that.

I don’t buy this at all. Riley is head coach and offensive coordinator. He makes sure his side of the ball excels and fires the guy responsible for the other side if it doesn’t measure up. It ain’t hard. We have too many enablers who won’t to make excuses for a poor leader

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's another issue.  There were slim pickins at the time.

I sure like Chris Klieman's resume.  But he was too busy wining FCS NCs back then.

No question. Who was out there ?

there is a lot more parity in the league with re- emergence of Baylor, KSU, ISU, etc

This makes it crucial to get someone who is into fundamentals of football with proven coordinators and position coaches.

14 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

I don’t buy this at all. Riley is head coach and offensive coordinator. He makes sure his side of the ball excels and fires the guy responsible for the other side if it doesn’t measure up. It ain’t hard. We have too many enablers who won’t to make excuses for a poor leader

That's possible, too.  Not sure Riley is a good example.  He stepped into command of a pretty well-oiled machine that he'd been part of for a couple of years.  He just had to do what Bobby did, and fire his brother. 

Also, my comment was in no way intended to excuse or enable Herman (as if anything I think or say has any impact on him at all).  It was a comment on potential difficulties that cause head coaches to fail, which is an endlessly fascinating topic since I get to observe it so frequently.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I’d have a hard time not cheering for North Carolina

Really?   Trace it back to that clown Brown in December 2013 and we wouldn't be hand wringing this shit right now.   Fucker sabotaged the program by deciding to go "recruiting" in Florida and the rest is history and what we are dealing with today.

• Like 1

Really?   Trace it back to that clown Brown in December 2013 and we wouldn't be hand wringing this shit right now.   Fucker sabotaged the program by deciding to go "recruiting" in Florida and the rest is history and what we are dealing with today.

Yeah, well last time we didn’t suck donkey balls, he was the coach. So until there’s not that, there’s that.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's possible, too.  Not sure Riley is a good example.  He stepped into command of a pretty well-oiled machine that he'd been part of for a couple of years.  He just had to do what Bobby did, and fire his brother. 

Yeah but that wasn’t easy. He had to have the balls to fire the brother of the guy who set him up. But he showed he’s a leader and he did what he had to do

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The way to do it was how Bob Stoops did it. 

Mentard can double down on his arrogance and lack of accountability because......he can. 

He is too costly to shitcan and he knows that. While he may appear to be shell shocked or shaken he is laughing and counting money every time he blinks. And there is essentially nothing that can be done about him or his crew unless he goes along with it. 

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I remember shouting from the mountain tops that I wanted Dan Mullen. You could argue that he hasn’t been better than Herman at Florida, but he’s definitely a better coach IMO. 

Yeah, that's a name that occurs to me.

Why would anyone say he hasn't been better than Herman?  He's 17-4.  Tommy's 15-7 in the same span, and 17-10 in his first two.

1 minute ago, El Squared said:

Mentard can double down on his arrogance and lack of accountability because......he can. 

He is too costly to shitcan and he knows that. While he may appear to be shell shocked or shaken he is laughing and counting money every time he blinks. And there is essentially nothing that can be done about him or his crew unless he goes along with it. 

Eh, I don't believe this. Hanlon's Razor.  Don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, that's a name that occurs to me.

Why would anyone say he hasn't been better than Herman?  He's 17-4.  Tommy's 15-7 in the same span, and 17-10 in his first two.

The only argument would’ve been who cares about his record because the sec east is actual hot garbage, but so is the big 12. So, kinda ruins that argument. He’s a better coach, and it’s crazy to me that they didn’t even consider him.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's another issue.  There were slim pickins at the time.

I sure like Chris Klieman's resume.  But he was too busy wining FCS NCs back then.

Ohia State took Jim Tressel out of lower tier status. He won 6 Big 10 championships and one NC and then got fired for ethical stuff. Winners always seem to get fired for ethical stuff.  Cheating pays.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 2

I'm not ready to fire Tom.  But I am on board the fire Orlando boat.  It literally can't get worse on defense.

This stat line tells me that Beck is calling plays again

21 rushes by RBs.  9 rushes by our QB.  48 pass attempts (only 22 completed).

This may get very ugly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Tom....ask yourself....if you were TCU, what is your best chance to move the ball on Texas' defense.... please tell me you didn't really believe that they would come out and just run the ball.  At least, don't admit that that's what you game planned for.

That's his way of saying, "I thought Patterson was as stupid as Gundy."

3 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I'm finally buying in full. We hired a fraud. He needs to go along with Todd Orlando and Tim Beck.

Pretty sure that if Mensa is fired, no chance in fucking hell a new coach would think Beck and Orlando are worth a shit. Herman is fucking blind to not see that his coordinators and position coaches are fucking awful.

I was also trying to “wait it out” and see if we could turn it around.

Nope.

Same old shit we’ve seen for the last several years...except this guy assumes he knows more than anyone and his house of cards is about to fall. His attitude makes me want him gone now.

Edited by Tailgate

Pretty sure that if Mensa is fired, no chance in fucking hell a new coach would think Beck and Orlando are worth a shit. Herman is fucking blind to not see that his coordinators and position coaches are fucking awful.
It's like a guy bringing his frat buddies to work for him and no matter how bad they are failing, he does not hold them accountable. Beck and Orlando are fucking awful. Reminds me of Mack with Greg Davis.

1 hour ago, jinx said:

I'm not ready to fire Tom.  But I am on board the fire Orlando boat.  It literally can't get worse on defense.

This stat line tells me that Beck is calling plays again

21 rushes by RBs.  9 rushes by our QB.  48 pass attempts (only 22 completed).

This may get very ugly

Im ready to fire Tom.    Maybe Malzahn would like a change a scenery and a chance to make the playoff?

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Boy, Nahlin at IT is double and tripling down that Herman is the guy and will have success here. 

Bunch of people calling him out asking what makes him think that.   

those guys know shit all about football.  they just want an in with the staff.  until it is obvious the HC is going to be fired they will knob slob

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I’d have a hard time not cheering for North Carolina

Just wait a damned minute here.

I want Herman gone. I've seen enough to know he isn't good enough to deserve the job. But that's just it; I don't need him losing to Mack to prove that he should be gone.

Mackovic beat Mack, that wasn't a reason to keep Mackovic around, either. Kinda apropos, since I see Herman as being Mackovic 2: Electric Lockerroo.

I'm still rooting for the team to win out, even as I know that's a lurid fantasy.

I haven't lowered myself to the level that I'll root against Texas to see a coach I don't like fired and I sure as shit ain't starting now.

Also, fuck Mack Brown for slacking off and the shitty way he left; I hope he loses every game by nine touchdowns.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I remember shouting from the mountain tops that I wanted Dan Mullen. You could argue that he hasn’t been better than Herman at Florida, but he’s definitely a better coach IMO. 

Mullen has been awesome for Florida. He was kind of made for that job. He got lucky and Felipe got injured so finally he can find a QB with half a brain this year moving forward

On 10/20/2019 at 3:18 AM, Girdwood said:

He’s not the guy. We really need to stop hiring from G5 programs. Find someone proven In a P5 conference with a high floor and see what they can do here with unlimited resources. 

Rhule is making noise at Baylor. He looks like a moron but he can coach circles around Herman. Gundy would be great but he can’t beat OU. Sweaty Fatterson would even do well here. All currently better options than Mensa.

We suck at hiring coaches. OU will own this conference for many many years to come if Riley sticks around and we keep Herman. He isn’t the answer.

Hi

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas