Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

30 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

First wife is sexier but stopped fucking after the kid was born. Second wife is handsome but does ass to mouth regularly and wakes him up with blowjobs.

27 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

She also agreed to go out with him after he went 1-11 in his first season at WMU and everyone else in Kalamazoo hated him. 

I fact-checked the affair story.  It may be true or it may not, but the woman he was accused of having an affair with sued message board posters for slander.  Govern yourselves accordingly.

She was also the wife of the owner of the dealership where wife 2 worked.

Also, Fleck and wife 1 lost a child.  It seems a lot of marriages can't survive that.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The usual reason for avoiding a midseason firing is that the new coach is not available until the end of the season.  That's not the case here, but the issue may be assistants.

Does it make any sense for Urb to come and use Hermy's assistants until the end of the season?

Urban doesn't start this year.  You finish out with an interim and tell Urban to work on a staff and be ready to hit the recruiting trail the moment the final whistle sounds.  He sits like an emperor in a box and watches games and evaluates how much shit he has to mop up

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Urban doesn't start this year.  You finish out with an interim and tell him to work on a staff and be ready to hit the recruiting trail the moment the final whistle sounds.  He sits like an emperor in a box and watches games and evaluates how much shit he has to mop up

Why do that?  Unless he has a lifetime winning percentage he's looking to protect, seems him actually coaching gets the process moving even quicker than sitting in the press box.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Urban doesn't start this year.  You finish out with an interim and tell Urban to work on a staff and be ready to hit the recruiting trail the moment the final whistle sounds.  He sits like an emperor in a box and watches games and evaluates how much shit he has to mop up

This. Urban would come in at the end of the year, put his staff together, including Ash for defense (if you believed his statement that Ash was the best coordinator hire in CFB this year) unless that statement was part of his long game. 😁

Assuming the players are aligned on what the real problem is here...I like the idea of making Ash the interim, and letting Yurcich do whatever he wants on offense.  If the players understand Tom is the problem, this could keep them motivated, and let Sam end his career without being held back.  It would also be an audition for keeping Yurcich.

Edited by Yesh

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

Why do that?  Unless he has a lifetime winning percentage he's looking to protect, seems him actually coaching gets the process moving even quicker than sitting in the press box.

Maybe because that's how it's always done in those types of situations and with good reason.  He isn't going to install his system on a Sunday practice...no matter how good they supposedly are.  You give him time to get the chess pieces in place, which he would have a considerable advantage in this type of situation over most new coaching hires.  

4 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Right — especially if he comes in, rights the ship, and shows that he can win by doing the simple shit that Tom can’t. 

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I fact-checked the affair story.  It may be true or it may not, but the woman he was accused of having an affair with sued message board posters for slander.  Govern yourselves accordingly.

She was also the wife of the owner of the dealership where wife 2 worked.

Also, Fleck and wife 1 lost a child.  It seems a lot of marriages can't survive that.

I've never heard anything about an affair. My understanding has always been that Fleck's marriage broke up before he ever met wife #2. Their marriage couldn't survive the devastation of losing a young son who they knew when he was born that he only had a short time to live. That's where the whole "Row the boat" philosophy comes from. What are you going to do after that? You keep rowing. And you're facing the other way so you're not sure where the boat's going, you just keep rowing. 

I don't see Fleck being a good fit culturally at Texas. And I don't think he's in a hurry to leave Minnesota because he's not finished with trying to build something. Unlike Tom Herman, Fleck hasn't shown that he's in a rush to climb up the coaching ranks. But he's genuine. He's different and to some casual observers he comes across as phony or gimmicky. But if you pay attention, he's the real deal and his players love him. And he can recruit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

This. Urban would come in at the end of the year, put his staff together, including Ash for defense (if you believed his statement that Ash was the best coordinator hire in CFB this year) unless that statement was part of his long game. 😁

Maybe Tom could stick around as his OC. 

We're getting the band back together!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe Tom could stick around as his OC. 

We're getting the band back together!

Now I am imagining a Texas Football Christmas card  with Urban sitting in a leather armchair with a pipe and tom and chris in their good boy suits sitting on the floor crisscross.

3 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I can't speak on the Urban thing other than there's mutual interest on both sides.

On the Herman thing he's toast.

While potentially exciting. In my opinion it’s nerve-wracking. 

The only way this is a success is if we get Meyer. Otherwise I am deathly afraid another hire is us just pissing in the wind. 

ill hang up and listen now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

I hope you’re right. However, I choose to remain in the skeptic camp pending more compelling evidence.

You should and honestly I have my own Stockholm syndrome at this point but I trust the guys that told me. Mostly because two weeks before during the Tech debacle they were on the opposite side even though they hated him. Money has become motivated again apparently.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, maninblack said:

You should and honestly I have my own Stockholm syndrome at this point but I trust the guys that told me. Mostly because two weeks before during the Tech debacle they were on the opposite side even though they hated him. Money has become motivated again apparently.

If true, you can have my “The Works” coupon from South Austin’s mom. I know it’s not much, but it would be sincere.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Seems like we have 3 options for our next head coach.

1. Overpay to get Urban in here. It will be in the range of Jimbo but justifiably higher given Urban's resume.

2. Overpay to get a decent Power 5 head coach who's unhappy with his pay, like aggy with Jimbo but without the championship.

3. Spin the roulette wheel on another Group of 5 up and comer who may pay off but probably won't since the demands of this job are nothing like they're used to and certainly not ready for. 

We've tried two projects and they both had expected outcomes, Charlie's worse than Herman's. It's not my money and I no longer care about optics. Just hire the best person possible that can completely change our culture, recruiting, and most importantly develop the talent on the field. How many times could we have won games the past 4 years had we just gotten a little extra out of the existing players on the roster? Try for Mullen, I doubt he moves. Try for Urban, he at least is an option you can romance without any pressure. Your biggest threat to land him is USC and they won't get started for another month. If he's the guy, make him the guy. We've tried it the other way. 

I doubt USC is in play right now. They're giving Helton at least another year after hiring new coordinators 

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You keep saying this.  My question to you and everybody else who has this opinion is do you think he should be fired now and not if CDC will do it?  Do you feel he needs more time?  He will get better at this coaching thing?  He is the best we can do so let’s keep him a few more years?  I try and think of any other business including other sports programs (college and pro) and wonder if a guy in any position proves to be incompetent how often do people say, “yeah he is terrible at his job but let’s keep him around for a little longer”.  

Yes, he SHOULD be fired right now. No, he won’t be. I am extremely skeptical that the BMDs would pony up $20-30 million right now.

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I doubt USC is in play right now. They're giving Helton at least another year after hiring new coordinators 

Not in play right now, you're correct. Could be in play later depending on how they do. They don't have Notre Dame or their game with Bama to trip them up. But if they don't win the Pac 12 or if Helton struggles to win the South, he might be out. So lock it up now with Urban while they have no other options. I know, we're Texas, blah blah blah, it don't make a shit bravado but USC is a top 5 destination that might be pretty desirous to a guy who's already operating out of Los Angeles with his Fox job. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Got to give Helton some credit. Its the last "ace in the hole" you can play when you suck as a HC. Herman played his ace. this past year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Recruiting Texas is something Urban has been doing a long time now. Being in Texas, and recruiting from that standpoint would be attractive. Living in Austin, and not paying state income taxes might be attractive as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Guys, I need some FlightAware images of Urban on his way, pictures of the banner for the Baylor game...don’t slack on these please.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/EJA563-1602374746-1-0-114

Not sure where Urban lives these days,  but here's one coming from the L.A. area. This plane yesterday had a fight between Austin and Love Field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas