Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Ya'll seem confused.
MD got the ball first, did their missing man thing, took the delay instead of snapping the ball missing a lineman and we were on board and cool with that and declined the penalty.  That was good shit.

Texas got the ball after letting MD fuck them in the face down the field for a quick TD and proceeded to get a delay of game penalty before they ran one play from scrimmage on the season.  That was incompetency at the highest level.  

Correct. The delay was because Collin Johnson’s knee pads weren’t covering his knees as required by the rule. He had to leave the field, and came back on the next field.

Maybe that’s ticky-tack, but if you make $5M and tout yourself as mensa, maybe you should pay attention to the details so you don’t immediately step on your own dick on opening day.

5 minutes ago, Player said:

Correct. The delay was because Collin Johnson’s knee pads weren’t covering his knees as required by the rule. He had to leave the field, and came back on the next field.

Maybe that’s ticky-tack, but if you make $5M and tout yourself as mensa, maybe you should pay attention to the details so you don’t immediately step on your own dick on opening day.

No shit that was Charlie level bs like the coin flip shit. We have been snake bitten for years and are falling down the hole of darkness.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

It was, and other than having a rock star of a punter, our special teams and tight end production his two years was for shit.

And I don’t care if Traylor is one of the nicest guys on the planet and a recruiting ace, no way does the University of Texas retain—much less elevate to head coach—any member of the coaching staff for the worst era in Texas history.

FFS he had not talent at TE. Mack left him shit. Being named TE coach at the squad he inherited was like being named chief rabbi of the Vatican. 

And I love this idea of "We're Texas, so we never make bold moves like elevating local HS legend to HC and two hot-shit young Texan coordinators who are in the process of mastering a great and innovative new offense that jibes with what Texas HS coaches are teaching because, hey, that's just not the done thing."

We are supposed to be a leader, not some school that walks the same path as everybody else. 

I sincerely believe it's because Traylor / Sterlin / Maddox were just too redneck for y'all.  

8 hours ago, NowThis said:

From 1986 - 1997 , UT was 77-60-2 under 3 coaches named Fred Akers, David McWilliams and John Mackovic

From 2010-2017, UT was 53-48 under Bad Mack, Strong and Herman.  Count 2014-2018 game 1, UT is 23-28.

After UT dumps Herman, I think we sill have one more bad hire, then glory.

We need to hire an overachieving coach from a P5 school, just as Mack was. 

This year, I think the D will continue to improve and be respectable after they fix their blown assignments. The O is just bad structure and needs to be blown up, it's hopeless.  

A 1-5 start is a real possibility.

And if 1-5 happens, then we should not be negatively looked upon if we fire him after the season. The Tom Herman era is shaping up to be another John Mackovic. 

And if 1-5 happens, then we should not be negatively looked upon if we fire him after the season. The Tom Herman era is shaping up to be another John Mackovic. 

If 1-5 happens, I say back up the Garda truck to Herm's front door, drop the cash and move the fuck on. Why wait?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Except that Mackovic actually won a couple fo conference titles and ran a productive offense while refilling the offensive cupboard.  But I agree, Herman is all the arrogant prick that Mackovic ever was, and is probably just another step in the search for a long term solution.

Take away the rapiness from Art Briles and you have Jeff Traylor heading in to UH. Not sure why not, but in my lifetime Texas has never hired a legendary Texas HS coach as HC. Some of them don't pan out, like Todd Dodge, but for every Dodge there's a Briles or a Malzahn who've worked out pretty well on the field

(Of course I am not saying we should countenance a culture like what Briles brought to Baylor, but the evil motherfucker could coach. And the whole rape thing is kinda unique to him and I don't think it has much to do with whose coaching tree he fell off of.)

So by all means let's just keep on looking for retreads from prior glory eras like McWilliams, NFL rejects like Mackovic, and small-school up-and-comers like Akers, Strong and Herman. 

Which leaves us with candidates like Mack, who we poached from a perennial second fiddle program in a second fiddle conference. How well would that go over now? I can't even think of a comparable modern-day equivalent, but most of you would be stunned and pissed, and save for that one five-year run, you would have been right to be. There's a case to be made that he won that NC in spite of himself, and his measly two conference championships in all his years here speak for themselves. 

So let's just keep on keepin' on these same well-trod paths and not do anything new, like hire the next Chip Kelly, another HS coach who did pretty well in college when given the chance. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Except that Mackovic actually won a couple fo conference titles and ran a productive offense while refilling the offensive cupboard.  But I agree, Herman is all the arrogant prick that Mackovic ever was, and is probably just another step in the search for a long term solution.

Mackovic also left Mack Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton, DD Lewis, Cedric Woodard, and Quentin Jammer. Yes, his d's sucked, but he could spot talent. 

Mackovic was a good offensive mind. The counter trey he ran here pulling the backside TE was a thing of beauty.  He was not a great HC but the guy knew offense.  

I've seen nothing from MensaBeck that makes me think they know anything innovative about offense.  We've yet to run a play in 14 games that showed any kind of ingenuity, imagination, or forward thinking.  We ran some screens last year against K-state's pressure that were good calls, but these are bread and butter plays that any 14 year old madden player knows.   

7 hours ago, NowThis said:

after Texas smashes Tulsa, everyone will be so happy here. 

Nope.  After last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and after this past offseason, many of us declared "show me"... "we're 0-12 until proven otherwise."  NO ONE expected or predicted the first 20 minutes yesterday would be groundhog day 10 go to 20 go to 10 loop of the past 4 years.  The idea that this is okay is more shocking than the excuses used to try to spin it away.  The final score is not the problem; it's the opponent and the way we fucked up to arrive at the final score which is apparent to 95% of the fanbase.  There is no way out other than canning beck, running off 6 or 7 in a row, apologizing for his arrogance, inducing some anger and accountability in to the leaders of the team.  Basically he has to bat 1.000 for the next 2 months.  Anything less and he's doomed.  And a majority want him shot tomorrow.  Tulsa result is meaningless.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Cool stat.  Ingram averaged 6.2 yards per carry, 2 ypc more than any of our other backs.  His last carry came with 5:20 to go in the 2nd quarter. 

Holy shit Mensabeck.  This is a Tim Beck special - going away from the hot hand . He did it all the time at tOSU.  Zeke Elliott even called him out on it publicly.  But it looks like Herm thinks this is swell as well.  

i'm sure this has already been stated, but the first 5 questions in the press conference should be:

"Ingram averaged over 6 yards a carry so why did you stop using him with 5:20 to go in the 2nd quarter"????ff

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I posted this is the running game thread, but I thought I'd put it here after I read some of Herman's comments after the game. He said, "We’ve got to find a way to get our guys to play loose at the start of the game . . . But as soon as the game kicked off I could sense that guys were trying to be too perfect.”

Look at the WR blocking on the play above - in the first fucking quarter.  Does that look like guys are trying to play too perfect?  Does Herman even believe half the shit he says?

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, if I'm being honest, I have no objection to seeing shit like this:

MelodicFragrantAphid-size_restricted.gif

And yes, I know the 1,001 objections to this offense at Texas.

At this point I'm game for any method that gets us into the end zone to include putting a jersey on a Caterpillar bulldozer and daring someone to tackle it.

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Nope.  After last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and after this past offseason, many of us declared "show me"... "we're 0-12 until proven otherwise."  NO ONE expected or predicted the first 20 minutes yesterday would be groundhog day 10 go to 20 go to 10 loop of the past 4 years.  The idea that this is okay is more shocking than the excuses used to try to spin it away.  The final score is not the problem; it's the opponent and the way we fucked up to arrive at the final score which is apparent to 95% of the fanbase.  There is no way out other than canning beck, running off 6 or 7 in a row, apologizing for his arrogance, inducing some anger and accountability in to the leaders of the team.  Basically he has to bat 1.000 for the next 2 months.  Anything less and he's doomed.  And a majority want him shot tomorrow.  Tulsa result is meaningless.

Agreed.  The worm just turned on Tom Herman.  He's not beyond redemption, but the entire supply of votive candles might be required to get it done.

7 hours ago, HuskiesHorns said:

I think some people noticed last year the offensive playcalling seems to have no in-game or situational awareness. Not that they intentionally go away from a player who is hot, but they don't even take that information into consideration. hot players are irrelevant to the coaches.

its almost as if the entire game is scripted.

it's almost as if the entire game is called using a magic 8-ball..  Beck asks the 8-ball "should we keep calling ingram's #??"

The 20 answers inside a standard Magic 8-Ball are:

It is certain.
It is decidedly so.
Without a doubt.
Yes - definitely.
You may rely on it.
As I see it, yes.
Most likely.
Outlook good.
Yes.
Signs point to yes.
Reply hazy, try again
Ask again later.
Better not tell you now.
Cannot predict now.
Concentrate and ask again.
Don't count on it.
My reply is no.
My sources say no
Outlook not so good.
Very doubtful.

7 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Some of you need to watch the presser he literally starts it off with who was injured. 

I'll fully admit i'm ranting uniformed 24 hours later.  I plead the 5th - i can not incriminate myself by watching tom's presser, in the event i have the opportunity to commit violence, i would be guilty of having agency, in the commission of my crime(s).

I was physically ill at the end of the game and went to sleep for 4 hours.  Off to find the injury report.

54 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I think Herman will put Mackovic to shame in that category.  Not even close.  Herman is the biggest prick by a landslide.  

7 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I don’t think play calling is nearly the biggest issue with the offense, but they do seem adverse to simply continue running something that has shown to work until the other team has demonstrated that they can stop it.

Harsin was a master at punishing defenses by breaking tendency and using trick plays, but our attempts at doing those things usually just blow up in our face.  Just find something that works and exploit it as long as you can. 

Someone else posted above that we *never* get playaction, misdirection, or use any screen-trickery.  That should be part of every offense.  Run something you never run out of a regular set.  And we never see it.  The last time we ran a jap play was roll left more than 20 years ago.

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Been saying this for years. Mackovic Part 2, Electric Boogaloo

Mackovic part 2? Mackovic took a team to the big 12 title game and beat a better team in Nebraska. He actually coached a team to play above their talent level. I wish Herman could at the least produce what mackovic did. 

Its what I thought we were paying Herman 5 mill a year to do. Obviously splitting with might Maryland is just asinine thinking from all us retard peasants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Mackovic was a good offensive mind. The counter trey he ran here pulling the backside TE was a thing of beauty.  He was not a great HC but the guy knew offense.  

That frustration we're having with the coaches going away from Ingram, or playing Porter? Mackovic invented that shit. We had Ricky Williams AND Priest Holmes in the backfield, and neither was our starting RB. We'd cross the space between the 20s in a handful of plays by handing the ball to Ricky, then throw a few pointless passes and kick a field goal. 

The only decent offensive mind I've seen on our staff since the 1980s was Harsin. Everyone else engaged in dumbfuckery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Which leaves us with candidates like Mack, who we poached from a perennial second fiddle program in a second fiddle conference. How well would that go over now? I can't even think of a comparable modern-day equivalent, but most of you would be stunned and pissed, and save for that one five-year run, you would have been right to be. 

Comparable would be Larry Fedora.  He would probably do pretty good here but that's not likely the answer.  

I will admit, I never really liked him because when I hear his name I think of a guy in a fedora.  But I watched the playoffs on the coaches round table and I will admit, he is very knowledgeable and personable.  

The coach from duke was impressive in his knowledge of the game.  Wasn't it Patterson who took naps and went to the restroom and never returned?  Or who am I thinking of?  

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Mackovic part 2? Mackovic took a team to the big 12 title game and beat a better team in Nebraska. He actually coached a team to play above their talent level.

Yeah, once. Exactly once. That team was, outside of that game, among the biggest bunch of underachievers I've ever seen. It was absolutely loaded with future NFL players, and no one in his right mind could describe that team as playing above their talent level. That game was them playing AT their level.

I had to add the word "among" because, well, you know, the past ten years.

Edited by Rimbo

1 hour ago, Player said:

or maybe your receiver should pull his head out of his ass, oh and block, and be physical coming off the LOS instead of running around DBs like he's 5'6"

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Comparable would be Larry Fedora.  He would probably do pretty good here but that's not likely the answer.  

I will admit, I never really liked him because when I hear his name I think of a guy in a fedora.  But I watched the playoffs on the coaches round table and I will admit, he is very knowledgeable and personable.  

The coach from duke was impressive in his knowledge of the game.  Wasn't it Patterson who took naps and went to the restroom and never returned?  Or who am I thinking of?  

I think that was Tuberville if we are thinking of the same incident. Went out to dinner with some Tech recruits, excused himself from the table, and hauled ass to Cincinnati. 

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think that was Tuberville if we are thinking of the same incident. Went out to dinner with some Tech recruits, excused himself from the table, and hauled ass to Cincinnati. 

Ha! Ya I think you are right.   That was a great show, I hope they do it again.  Not only was it insightful for the personal knowledge of half a dozen name coaches at a sitting, but it gave tremendous insight about particular coaches and what they are like, and to a lesser extent their philosophies.  

There were a couple of dumbasses...

or maybe your receiver should pull his head out of his ass, oh and block, and be physical coming off the LOS instead of running around DBs like he's 5'6"
Then don't play him. People act like Herman's wife is being held captive somewhere. He doesn't have to play players who consistently dumbshit or disappear. He doesn't have to let Beck and the gang keep calling bullshit. He chooses to allow that to happen. He needs to be held accountable.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yes I should rephrase, Herman seems to fake that he knows how to fix things better than Charlie who just looked lost. 

The running game makes me want to vomit. So tired of the slow developing running play that gets stuffed at the line. It’s just boring. Why have Sam act like he might keep the ball if you rarely have him do it. Yet when he does keep it and gets decent pickups, you then decide that was probably it for the quarter. And Porter going in on 3rd down gives me the same queasy feeling of offensive give up as 3rd downs with Brett Robin did. I just don’t get how we can be this bad with an offensive minded HFBC. 

Houston, with inferior talent, under Herman did not look inept.

What

The

Fuck

is

Wrong

Here

This fucking psycopath doesn’t take a shred of responsibility for the results on the field.  Except for making the players want to be “too perfect.”  That was his only error.  He coached them TOO up.  Everything else was due to injuries, and cause it was a “weird game.”

It’s frightening watching that presser, because I think he actually believes what he’s saying.

7 hours ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Never been “all in” with Herman, but not ready to write him off yet either.

when I saw Porter in the game @ crunch time, I’ll admit I likely started my journey towards “this coach isn’t ever gonna make it here”.

I held on with Charlie until Kansas.  I think at least 30% of us did.  This time around, i think he's lost 90% of this board.  I wish I knew what that translated to in the rank-and-file outside world.

We've seen it once.  We recognize it now.  No more cognitive dissonance.  Crystal clarity.

"You have arrived at your destination".

No journey required.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I truly despised Mackovic, then I met Charlie.... And currently both seem like great humans and one is a better coach, maybe... Maybe both... 

If you told me I'd one day be missing Mackovic I'd have told you to put down the crack pipe, until, that is, the day we hired Herman. Things have gone down hill since then.

This is really getting funny.  IIRC, everyone, and I mean everyone was completely bat shit crazy over the Herman hire.  Everyone but me.  I have never liked the prick let alone want him to coach my Longhorns.  Whats funny is, before yesterday I was alone in my feelings about Herman.  Today.....I have lots of friends.  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, tonedeaf said:

This is really getting funny.  IIRC, everyone, and I mean everyone was completely bat shit crazy over the Herman hire.  Everyone but me.  I have never liked the prick let alone want him to coach my Longhorns.  Whats funny is, before yesterday I was alone in my feelings about Herman.  Today.....I have lots of friends.  

User name is awesomely appropriate.  Yep you were the only one.  Not one other fan.  

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic