Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

I think some people noticed last year the offensive playcalling seems to have no in-game or situational awareness. Not that they intentionally go away from a player who is hot, but they don't even take that information into consideration. hot players are irrelevant to the coaches.

its almost as if the entire game is scripted.

14 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Cool stat.  Ingram averaged 6.2 yards per carry, 2 ypc more than any of our other backs.  His last carry came with 5:20 to go in the 2nd quarter. 

Holy shit Mensabeck.  This is a Tim Beck special - going away from the hot hand . He did it all the time at tOSU.  Zeke Elliott even called him out on it publicly.  But it looks like Herm thinks this is swell as well.  

How do you know Ingram wasnt injured?

there is a lot that goes into deciding who plays besides who has the “hot hand”.

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, HuskiesHorns said:

I think some people noticed last year the offensive playcalling seems to have no in-game or situational awareness. Not that they intentionally go away from a player who is hot, but they don't even take that information into consideration. hot players are irrelevant to the coaches.

i read your first paragraph and thought of the word "scripted" , then I read your last line and behold the truth.  It really seems Beck is just running a scrimmage. Run it up the middle  5 times in a row, no yardage, doesn't matter, do it again.  He has no idea of reality. 

It’s crazy to watch Matt Canada put a true freshman on the field and basically run the offense through him because he can identify electric talent.

Herman and beck think we have to evenly distribute carries to rb’s and spread around the wr targets so everyone gets a chance. 

Tre Watson and Ingram should have ended the game with 20 carries each, porter should never see the field. 

I think Herman even said something about not having a true freshman on the field during the second half and not putting him in that position. Again the Maryland kid shows when you have it you go with it and Ingram has it and Herman can’t see it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RadiologyHorn said:

there is a lot that goes into deciding who plays besides who has the “hot hand”.

Because Herman identified injuries in post game presser. Brandon jones and someone else is all he said. He also mentioned he didn’t want to put a true fresh on the field late in the game. Just stop with your bullshit if you didn’t even watch what he said. I guess hot hand isn’t 6.2 yards a carry? You’re a idiot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey,

How is everyone this morning?  Better I hope.  I have been called a troll, aggy, been told to fuck off all because I didn't (don't) buy the herman hype.  I never liked the arrogant prick and was very disappointed when UT hired him.  Almost everyone of you guys are saying the same thing I said back then.  All you guys said, well who else would you have hired.  TH is the corch to put Texas back on top.  He is not.

So here is my question, again.  WHY DOESNT TEXAS DO AN HONEST COACHING SEARCH?  Nobody has more to lose than the NFL, and they hire assistants and coaches from a lower level (college)  all the time.  True, they don't always work out, but apparently, neither does our system.  So we hired this jackass because 1)  he beat FSU/OU, 2) LSU wanted him, 3) he was the hot name.  First of all, FSU/OU don't give 2 shits about UH.  Those games were super bowls for Houston.  I couldn't care less about LSU.  I don't care what they want.  As far as being the hot name,  he had a little success in a short period of time, so what.  And now some of you are saying that our next corch should be someone that comes from a big time program with huge success.  Why?  Because we are Texas by God and our trophy case is overflowing and we demand success?  How is that working out for us.  (yes I said us because contrary to what some of you may think, I have been a Texas fan since the early DKR days)

The only difference in the Texas job and the Montana State (example) job is the size of the fanbase and the media exposure.  If the players at MSU can block, tackle, and are fundamentally sound, then the players at Texas will block, tackle, and be fundamentally sound.  On a different level, yes.  But blocking is blocking.  Tackling is tackling. And fundamentals are still fundamentals.  He aint bringing the MSU level players with him.  They are already here.  Sorry could'nt resist.  

So I propose that next year when we start looking for a corch for real, we leave no stone unturned not worry about who is after who and who the big name is.  Lets hire who is right for TEXAS.  So enjoy your long weekend  and as always,  HOOK'EM HORNS.    

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 8

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Well he didn’t list kertstetter so I guess it was just a rotation thing

I think Kertstetter just sucked. Also, why Porter ever sees a single snap is one of the program’s deepest mysteries. He’s a total nonentity and has been since the day he arrived. 

6 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Hey,

How is everyone this morning?  Better I hope.  I have been called a troll, aggy, been told to fuck off all because I didn't (don't) buy the herman hype.  I never liked the arrogant prick and was very disappointed when UT hired him.  Almost everyone of you guys are saying the same thing I said back then.  All you guys said, well who else would you have hired.  TH is the corch to put Texas back on top.  He is not.

So here is my question, again.  WHY DOESNT TEXAS DO AN HONEST COACHING SEARCH?  Nobody has more to lose than the NFL, and they hire assistants and coaches from a lower level (college)  all the time.  True, they don't always work out, but apparently, neither does our system.  So we hired this jackass because 1)  he beat FSU/OU, 2) LSU wanted him, 3) he was the hot name.  First of all, FSU/OU don't give 2 shits about UH.  Those games were super bowls for Houston.  I couldn't care less about LSU.  I don't care what they want.  As far as being the hot name,  he had a little success in a short period of time, so what.  And now some of you are saying that our next corch should be someone that comes from a big time program with huge success.  Why?  Because we are Texas by God and our trophy case is overflowing and we demand success?  How is that working out for us.  (yes I said us because contrary to what some of you may think, I have been a Texas fan since the early DKR days)

The only difference in the Texas job and the Montana State (example) job is the size of the fanbase and the media exposure.  If the players at MSU can block, tackle, and are fundamentally sound, then the players at Texas will block, tackle, and be fundamentally sound.  On a different level, yes.  But blocking is blocking.  Tackling is tackling. And fundamentals are still fundamentals.  He aint bringing the MSU level players with him.  They are already here.  Sorry could'nt resist.  

So I propose that next year when we start looking for a corch for real, we leave no stone unturned not worry about who is after who and who the big name is.  Lets hire who is right for TEXAS.  So enjoy your long weekend  and as always,  HOOK'EM HORNS.    

Fuck off aggy

Exactly, same with Ingram. They weren’t injured but with kersetter im sure herb hand has more to do with that. Ingram not getting one carry the rest of the game is just fucking stupid. 

Kerstetter was getting worked. Inexplicable by not having Ingram in the 2nd half though.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Exactly, same with Ingram. They weren’t injured but with kersetter im sure herb hand has more to do with that. Ingram not getting one carry the rest of the game is just fucking stupid. 

That’s even more frustrating. We played 4 backs. That not playing a freshman stuff is fucking stupid. Herman is fucking dumber than shit. 

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

That’s even more frustrating. We played 4 backs. That not playing a freshman stuff is fucking stupid. Herman is fucking dumber than shit. 

Go watch the post game presser it’s up on YouTube. Then come back and post. I am not responsible for your computer when you hulk smash it after you hear him talk.

Remember when Mack wouldn't put Benson in against OU because "he's a freshman"? Then after all the bitching he played him the next game. Hopefully we see Ingram going forward.
  • Like 1

Football coaches are professionals. It is legitimate for us to hold them accountable for their performance.

Tom failed to have the team ready to play yesterday. Many people questioned his hiring of Tim Beck when it was first announced. I’m not seeing any development as a professional from Tim Beck. I’m not seeing much from Tom Herman when it comes to making adjustments to deal with glaring problems within the program. And it is absurd to claim Hermsn is being hindered by lack of resources, be those resources talent, time or money.

We were told Herman needed Beck in order to win. We were told to hold our noses over the hiring of Horny because Herman needed him to win. We were told to hold our noses over the recruitment of Leitao because Herman needed him to win. 

If a professor showed up unprepared for class or without any plan for the semester, we would rightfully complain that the students weren’t being well served. Outside of academia, we wouldn’t tolerate an attorney, doctor, pilot, or any other professional showing up unprepared and without a plan of how to accomplish their assigned task. We sure wouldn’t tolerate them being an asshole when asked to account for their repeated failures.

Herman has been getting a pass for a lot of failures and questionable decisions. Things need to turn around very soon. He is pretty much out of free passes. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 6

All game long I’m thinking, come on Tom, do some of that Mensa shit. Yet it never happens. 10 yard gain on a QB run, switch to a pass that gets picked off instead of running again. When is all this intelligence going to show up. Or was it just Urban Meyer making him look smart?

• Like 2

Remember when Mack wouldn't put Benson in against OU because "he's a freshman"? Then after all the bitching he played him the next game. Hopefully we see Ingram going forward.

At least Mack made changes after losses. Mensa is too stubborn to listen to you dumb fans. He’s smarter than us, duh. Hopefully Hand punches Beck in the throat and steals playcalling duties.

21 minutes ago, HuskiesHorns said:

I don’t think play calling is nearly the biggest issue with the offense, but they do seem adverse to simply continue running something that has shown to work until the other team has demonstrated that they can stop it.

Harsin was a master at punishing defenses by breaking tendency and using trick plays, but our attempts at doing those things usually just blow up in our face.  Just find something that works and exploit it as long as you can. 

At least Mack made changes after losses. Mensa is too stubborn to listen to you dumb fans. He’s smarter than us, duh. Hopefully Hand punches Beck in the throat and steals playcalling duties.
Can't argue that. Mack proved he would make changes by playing Jamaal in critical moments all through the '05 season (the shoe at night, etc.)
  • Like 1

Herman can’t handle the pressure, he does great at Houston because he had zero pressure so his was relaxed and confident and played with a chip on their shoulder. Texas came into that game thinking it was a for sure W and didn’t play “trying to be perfect” like he said they played lazy like they thought they were going to show up and beat the fuck out of a team in controversy and under stress. 

Hes making excuses for them not being ready so he says “the guys were trying to be perfect that’s why they didn’t play well”. We looked slow as fuck and out of position and didn’t know what was going on. That’s lazy and not prepared mentally. 

• Like 1

All game long I’m thinking, come on Tom, do some of that Mensa shit. Yet it never happens. 10 yard gain on a QB run, switch to a pass that gets picked off instead of running again. When is all this intelligence going to show up. Or was it just Urban Meyer making him look smart?

If mdmost, twice horn, and rd have turned on Tom, he’s in trouble. What about roma? If he doesn’t have the warm and fuzzies for mensa boy, he’s gone by next year.

25 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Herman likes his players to rotate constantly.  In one series, you will see Young and then you will see Watson. With 6.2 ypc, you need to go with the best player on the field and not who dos best in the offseason (like Porter).

Herman is too arrogant to admit his mistakes, which adds anxiety and frustration to Texas' problems.  

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Herman can’t handle the pressure, he does great at Houston because he had zero pressure so his was relaxed and confident and played with a chip on their shoulder. Texas came into that game thinking it was a for sure W and didn’t play “trying to be perfect” like he said they played lazy like they thought they were going to show up and beat the fuck out of a team in controversy and under stress. 

Hes making excuses for them not being ready so he says “the guys were trying to be perfect that’s why they didn’t play well”. We looked slow as fuck and out of position and didn’t know what was going on. That’s lazy and not prepared mentally. 

I watched it. And it’s all the same shit. “We are better than this.” Fuck you tom. I’m over it. They looked really bad in this game and it has nothing to do with being tight. 

Oh I don’t want him fired, what I want is what was promised and never delivered. It’s disturbing that he tried to justify the performance of the team with “well we were good in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, just not the 1st and 4th”. Oh you mean the point of the game where you set the tone and the other point where you close out the game. The same two points we were awful in last year when we couldn’t start well or close out a game or get a win? Because that’s great Tom. Maybe by OU you’ll have figured it out. 

I know people on here love to shit on aggy but we have a legitimate shot of being set back further as we lose recruits to them this year and next. We haven’t had a good QB since 2009. Almost 10 years. And laugh at them or not, they have a coach 1000 times better than ours right now. Same with OU. Same with TCU.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

Mike Finger roasted Herman in his article today 

This was not a repeat, nor was it a sign of things to come. And we know this because Herman said so.

The naïve among us might have thought we saw a team as unprepared to start Herman’s second season as it was to start his first. But this is because we are uninformed.

We just assumed that a flurry of bone-headed penalties and a rash of late-game turnovers were signs of a squad that remains as sloppy and as undisciplined as ever, but the truth is we are unable to comprehend exactly how much the Longhorns have improved.

Thankfully, Herman was gracious enough to break it down for reporters covering the game in Landover, Maryland, and thereby set the country straight.

Today was a major step backward in Herman's tenure at Texas.  Major.  Facing a team that was in disarray, that just so happened to clock you last year in your home openerand first game as HC, and you come up with a disorganized, uninspired and mistake-ridden performance? If you weren't going to go out and be balls out today, when will you?
Where and how are we now better on September 1?

That didn’t look like a team in disarray. Just because idiots here repeat it, doesn’t mean it is true.

Md looked focused and ready from the start. They were not some hapless team that lucked their way to a win. They executed well in the first quarter. They lost some intensity along the way but that was to be expected. They also had a plan and didn’t quit doing what worked in favor of shit that doesn’t.

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh I don’t want him fired, what I want is what was promised and never delivered. It’s disturbing that he tried to justify the performance of the team with “well we were good in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, just not the 1st and 4th”. Oh you mean the point of the game where you set the tone and the other point where you close out the game. The same two points we were awful in last year when we couldn’t start well or close out a game or get a win? Because that’s great Tom. Maybe by OU you’ll have figured it out. 

I know people on here love to shit on aggy but we have a legitimate shot of being set back further as we lose recruits to them this year and next. We haven’t had a good QB since 2009. Almost 10 years. And laugh at them or not, they have a coach 1000 times better than ours right now. Same with OU. Same with TCU.

We need to worry about not falling further behind TCU, West Virginia, and Okie Lite. They aren’t out recruiting Texas, just massively out performing.

Recruiting isn’t Texas’ problem. Texas’ problem is substandard coaching. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That didn’t look like a team in disarray. Just because idiots here repeat it, doesn’t mean it is true.

Md looked focused and ready from the start. They were not some hapless team that lucked their way to a win. They executed well in the first quarter. They lost some intensity along the way but that was to be expected. They also had a plan and didn’t quit doing what worked in favor of shit that doesn’t.

Maryland will most likely lose seven or eight games this season.  

27 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Hey,

It occurs to me that young Mr. Herman has a lot of the John Mackovic mode of communication in him. His attitude is starting to wear thin.

Take a little responsibility, Tom. We just had a car wreck, with injuries.

But I agree. I doubt anything happens until next year. I suggested that somewhere yesterday and was treated to the "everyone knows you're an aggy" routine myself. Plus a neg.

I just hope Del Conte gets his list together and keeps it well-updated. Because Texas appears to be wheel spinning with Tom Herman as head coach.

Year 2 with this kind of opening? Portent of bad days ahead.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

We need to worry about not falling further behind TCU, West Virginia, and Okie Lite. They aren’t out recruiting Texas, just massively out performing.

Recruiting isn’t Texas’ problem. Texas’ problem is substandard coaching. 

It’s pretty obvious recruiting is a huge problem. On top of that, our offensive system is dog shit. Hot dog shit

I think what pisses me off more than the lack of adequate offensive scheming is all the personal fouls and dead ball penalties.

That’s the truest sign of players not being coached properly and on their own. They lost yesterday because we extended three drives that led to scores because PFs.  

That bullshit is on the head coach and he has to take responsibility or the ship will sink before it even lists. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic