Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Mack was the beneficiary of timing. Young Mack Brown would not have the success at Texas now that he had in his first 8 years. The early recruitment is played out as street agents and HS kids themselves understand they have all the power until signing day. Nobody's falling for the ketchup popsicles Mack could supposedly talk kids into eating.

The hidden gems are also not hidden anymore. Scouting is a huge enterprise now. Small East Texas schools are being  raided for athletes by programs all over the country. The strategy of recruiting QBs from successful teams b/c they are good athletes is now bullshit b/c good athletes are discovered at age 14. Even the slightly under the radar guys are scooped up by the likes of TCU.

Herman is in no way an upgrade over Strong. He in fact made the exact same mistake of bringing in an established regard to run the offense. Power move would have been to hand onto Gilbert and try to blend the tempo/Air Raid concepts with the outside zone and QB run game from the Meyer/Mullen system. Instead he opted against continuity for kids on their 3rd system in 3 years while making the 4th system NO system.

The defense is adequate but not great. The days of always counting on an NFL caliber DT/DE or two are long gone. The offense has the same problem up front. Without the hogs up front Texas is going to continue to suck no matter who the coach is. That said, it's the coach's explicit responsibility to get the hogs up front.

• Like 3

Re: Coaching Search
Mike Gundy tries to leave Oklahoma State every other year, T Boone and the AD are publicly bitching about him not recruiting 5 Stars to Stillwater, and he has put out pretty damn good teams for a decade in the Big 12 with mediocre talent and several different staffs and coordinators.
Are we going to make the pie in the sky Saban hire?  No.   But I would target Gundy and be fine with it.
I like Gundy quite a bit, but I feel like Petersen is a coach we can get, and he'd make us competitive immediately. My head wants that to happen. My dick, however says "bring in the pirate."
  • Fuck You 2

I dread Tuesday at work. The farmers there will swing by my office all day with their smug sheep fucking grins and I’ll have to take it bc they will be right. POS Herman and the rest of the overpaid staff will make my life miserable all season if they don’t fix this. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not that important but it trickles down to so many things. Stupid I know.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

I would love Petersen and wanted us to get him as Mack’s replacement.  I’m just assuming that now he would be hard to pull away from UW, but by all means we should try.

Totally agree. More realistic, I would make a run at Harsin as the next link in the chain.

Today was a game I expected Texas to win. And the truth is they should have won. Them losing speaks loudest of all tho. The team was lost in the 1st quarter. Wrong playcalls on both offense and defense, guys not in the correct position, guys not communicating, guys running into each other, guys not minding keys and getting distracted by motions. The list goes on.

maryland scored an opening drive TD, and our offense got a delay of game before even running a play... these team needs discipline, coaches included

Edited by taybo20
  • Like 1

jimbo and brewer are chomping at the bit to recruit against this shit show

This is the real elephant in the room. We have got to recruit consistently at a top 5 or top 10 to get the players we need. This shit show today doesn’t help.

Imagine going in to Zachary Evan’s living room and selling this steaming pile of shit as your product. Come here and get your 5 carries a game while we play favorites with lesser players. My two cents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasBeta said:

I dread Tuesday at work. The farmers there will swing by my office all day with their smug sheep fucking grins and I’ll have to take it bc they will be right. POS Herman and the rest of the overpaid staff will make my life miserable all season if they don’t fix this. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not that important but it trickles down to so many things. Stupid I know.

Football is part of our culture. So it isn't stupid, it just is.

And what Texas "is" right now makes work more difficult.

I have to put up with, "Texas has the #1 recruiting class every year, how come yall can't win?", While the person knows full well that Texas doesn't have the #1 recruiting class every year.

We're Texas. We should beat a down Maryland club.

This game has thoroughly challenged my faith in young Mr. Herman.

12 minutes ago, millhouse said:

Tom needs to be the head fucking coach and take some ownership. If things arnt working fix them or do what needs to be done to correct stupid mistakes. That's how it works in my world and I'm not getting paid millions of dollars for my decisions.

He needs some Jocko and take Extreme Ownership.

jocko_ownership.jpg

• Like 5

If combat soldiers, nurses and firefighters don’t show some willingness to take over a critical situation, learn from their mistakes and show some hubris then a person could become permanently disabled or die.

Herman shows almost none of this, only has football games at stake and gets paid multiple times the above’s earnings for each win last year.

I realize he can’t roll over completely in public for the players sake but his schtick is getting old.

I would love Petersen and wanted us to get him as Mack’s replacement.  I’m just assuming that now he would be hard to pull away from UW, but by all means we should try.
Totally agree we should try. I want to believe that the allure of Texas can pull away a coach at Washington, but the reality is it's not 1957 and DKR ain't walking through that door because UT isn't what it once was.

4 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

This is the real elephant in the room. We have got to recruit consistently at a top 5 or top 10 to get the players we need. This shit show today doesn’t help.

Imagine going in to Zachary Evan’s living room and selling this steaming pile of shit as your product. Come here and get your 5 carries a game while we play favorites with lesser players. My two cents.

Evans would have to be insane to come here. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Yup. Great post. I supported the Herman hire because he seemed to be the hot coach, and I don’t have a multi-million dollar budget to evaluate head coaching candidates. However, I stated on shaggy when he was hired that I was worried about two things. He is an enormous douchebag and his navy seal-like bullshit training was the wrong way to motivate young players of today.

I didn’t see a team out there today. How many times did players encourage each other? When did they get excited? I didn’t see players who seemed to really care. I didn’t see heart. The whole philosophy of Herman could be dramatically wrong. Here’s two examples.

The bull ring. What does it do? It’s supposed to build toughness. But does it tear down teamwork? Does it draw divides in the locker room? Does it turn players against each other?

How about the three categories of player performance? How do you think the 33% in the bottom third feel every day? How do you think they are treated by the 2/3? Do you think that builds teamwork? That shit works with Navy Seals because they are incredibly focused, self-motivated individuals. The high school football player isn’t a damn navy seal.

What about Herman himself? What about that bs comment he made when he was hired about how great it was to get the hot wife and all the spoils of success? Is that a team guy, or a snake oil salesman cashing in a massive paycheck and laughing all the way to the bank.

This problem isn’t just turning around an underperforming team. This could be a head coach that is simply doing it mostly wrong.

Nobody wants to play for someone who fucks with their food, monitors their piss, is in their personal space, and badmouths them when they decide to turn pro early. Herman needs to let the players grow and learn without turning them against each other by creating a hostile environment to showcase their talent.  

This is the quote that Herman made about the hot wife: "Winners get the corner office, the big house, the hot wife, the whole nine." It's from an article he wrote in September 2015 for SI eight months after getting the UH head coaching job.

Here's a link: https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/08/houstons-tom-herman-gives-first-person-look-his-head-coach-education

After reading it, I can't help but notice all the "I's" and "me's" Herman uses. I know it's an editorial, but this guy seems extremely focused on himself and vanity and external appearance. It is the college football equivalent of "Rock n roll can save the world. And the chicks are great." He sounds like a dick.

12 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

Yea me too, but don’t worry man they have a ass hole destroying loss coming Saturday and multiple times this year. Problem is I can’t laugh at them or think we are going to raid the recruits because aggy shit the bed when we have continually lost our fucking openers to mid level teams. Fucking maddening. 

It really sucks going into every game with a team that has a pulse hoping just once you'll be up by 10 after 8 minutes rather than being down by 10.  We play scared and completely unprepared.  

Sadly this loss and the entire season is totally predictable because NO ONE in our athletic department knows how to hire a real football coach.  Herman can go back to HC mid major or be the OC at Florida/USC/etc and GTFO.

Fuck Tom Herman.  That bastard needs to be gone by next week.

I loved the Texas Longhorns, I went to school there, graduated (91).  Done, until his ass is gone.  Just threw every piece of Longhorn gear away, everything except for my autographed Earl Campbell picture and my diploma.

Created an account just for this, fuck you Tom Herman and fuck all you soft ass pussy players thinking you have it made because you made it to Texas.

Just now, MrBig said:

Nobody wants to play for someone who fucks with their food, monitors their piss, is in their personal space, and badmouths them when they decide to turn pro early. Herman needs to let the players grow and learn without turning them against each other by creating a hostile environment to showcase their talent.  

This is the quote that Herman made about the hot wife: "Winners get the corner office, the big house, the hot wife, the whole nine." It's from an article he wrote in September 2015 for SI eight months after getting the UH head coaching job.

Here's a link: https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/08/houstons-tom-herman-gives-first-person-look-his-head-coach-education

After reading it, I can't help but notice all the "I's" and "me's" Herman uses. I know it's an editorial, but this guy seems extremely focused on himself and vanity and external appearance. It is the college football equivalent of "Rock n roll can save the world. And the chicks are great." He sounds like a dick.

armchair psychologist here, but he's always truck me as a thin-skinned, extremely insecure narcissist. 

3 minutes ago, MrBig said:

He's a dick. Has been from the get-go, and no one's going to argue that he's a weird clown.  And that's fine if you can put together a  solid game plan and a prepared team after 8 fucking months to get ready for a school, without a head coach, that pushed your shit in at home a year ago.

But he failed miserably today and so it's okay to pile on Herman as a giant ashole.

My thought: He beats OU this year or he's dead to me.  

That might sound crazy ambitious but I really don't think it should be.  He should be ahead of Riley and OU should be struggling to replace Mayfield.  At some point I would expect Texas to roll Maryland, KState, and AT LEAST be 50/50 with TCU.  OU is a crazy game sometimes.  If he can't handle it now he never will.  

He's going to learn that being a dick and securing the bag sticks in people's minds when you roll out an unprepared team and look like a little boy who got busted pulling a $20 from dad's wallet in the presser.  

Frontrunner.

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

armchair psychologist here, but he's always truck me as a thin-skinned, extremely insecure narcissist. 

You know when you are losing all those weird things are weird as fuck but when he had Houston with 1 loss and about to play Florida st and beat jumbo I was like “fuck I Wish Charlie would kiss our players like Herman does”.

now I just want to choke slam Tom for keeping beck and pulling a Charlie.

On 6/27/2018 at 3:49 PM, ButtFumble said:

if Texas loses this game I expect tom to stop before he gets in the locker room and tell the reporters he understands his job is on the line and I expect him to name those responsible for the loss (no players all coaches) and I expect that he will say how long they have to correct their coaching before they are fired and I expect it will be the USC game at the longest

That was a loss last year AT HOME to Maryland that had a coach in his second season and a Maryland team that won THREE other games besides the ass kicking they gave to Texas

a Maryland team that hung 51 on Texas while giving up 41 and that had a 4 game streak to end the season where they did not score 51 points combined in those 4 games and another 3 game streak in the middle of the season where they did not score 51 points combined

if Texas loses this game it means that the defense has totally gone in the shitter and that is unacceptable or it means the defense is either as good or better than last year (which was only actually GOOD in a few games, but that showed improvement over time)  and the offense sucks such major dicks that they will never improve especially with the current coaching staff and that falls 1,000,000% on Tom because the offense is his gig

or it means that somehow Charlie Strong is coaching the special teams for Texas while also at USF and that is really fucking unacceptable

I do not want to hear bullshit about flow charts and stats sheets and special books and decision trees I expect to see improvement in all aspects of the game and especially offense and special teams with no let down on defense and if that is not apparent from game one and on I expect heads will roll before the end of the season and really before the half way mark of the season

I realize these are pretty big expectations, but when you get ass raped by Maryland with a second year coach making $2.5 million a year AT HOME to start the season and that Maryland team only wins 3 other games (including a D1-AA game) the rest of the fucking season you better slaughter them to open the season the next year even more so at a neutral site that should have plenty of Texas fans in attendance.....all the more so when you make $5 million a year, you have your $10,000 lockers and you know the offense sucked dicks last year and you 100% stuck with your guy and your game plan while knowing that was questionable and knowing that it was questionable if you had the QBs to make that work

add in the special teams and the overall coaching decisions (when you have Deloitte Anderson Cooper Touche Errwon and Young making your coaching decision skill set determinators and critical evaluations for you) and how badly that all sucked last year in many games and you better get that shit under control or you can mensa the fuck out of here

I had this in the Texas -10.5 thread and a few liked it, but others thought it was a big overreaction

well after the shit show I saw today and then Mensa tom coming out with the same weak ass press conference with the same tired coach speak bullshit it is going to be a long 23 more games

there is no killer instinct here there is no accountability there is only stupid bullshit that sucks even for coach speak

we need a coach that tells players their locker rooms are going to be cardboard fucking moving boxes so they can have their shit packed and ready to hit the door if they lose to Maryland 2 years in a row and we need a head coach that has his assistant coaches shit stored in plastic tubs to they can be tossed the fuck out of Bellmont for losing to Maryland two years in a row 

Edited by ButtFumble

I would think losing to Maryland last year would have stung Tom bad, would have caused him to circle this date on the calendar and be damn sure we showed up prepared and ready to play better than we did today. 

I thought wrong. He’s soft, he’s comfortable, he’s not the kind of coach that despises losing. The University, the players, the fans, deserve better. 

I've never particularly like Herman, I think he's a pompous smartass, but, many successful coaches are.

I think you have to be partly a narcissistic asshole to be a successful football coach. So I can forgive him for being one.  As long as that narcissistic assholeism results in 10 win seasons, which we are far from.

Edited by phdhorn

Just now, GhostofDanJones said:

In the press conference he was talking about how well the team is prepared, looking forward to the season, improved this and that, blah blah blah. Lying mother fucker! 

they were prepared....they were prepared to lose to fucking Maryland being coached by an assistant coach and then accept that loss as "things happen" and get back on the plane patting themselves on the back for playing at Texas and being happy they have $10,000 lockers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Honest question I asked earlier but got lost in the game thread: when was the last time we showed up and played a crisp, well coached, well executed game?

Was it Ohio State in the fiesta bowl like 10 years ago?

There were a few games back when Harsin was the OC. Thinking maybe UCLA on the road, Ole Miss on the road... of course that was 6-7 years ago. 

I guess you could say the 2015 OU game. 

3 minutes ago, GhostofDanJones said:

In the press conference he was talking about how well the team is prepared, looking forward to the season, improved this and that, blah blah blah. Lying mother fucker! 

You mean this?

“We know we’re better than we were at any point last year, but we didn’t show it in the first and fourth quarters.”

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

You mean this?

“We know we’re better than we were at any point last year, but we didn’t show it in the first and fourth quarters.”

Too bad there are 4 Gdamn quarters in a football game.  Also, it's one thing to lose a quarter (barely) against a superior team (it happens).  It's entirely different to look like an unprepared bunch of crap against a team that didn't even have a coach.

15 minutes ago, LoneStarBiker said:

I would think losing to Maryland last year would have stung Tom bad, would have caused him to circle this date on the calendar and be damn sure we showed up prepared and ready to play better than we did today. 

I thought wrong. He’s soft, he’s comfortable, he’s not the kind of coach that despises losing. The University, the players, the fans, deserve better. 

I might be wrong, but it has always seemed to me that championships are won by coaches and players who absolutely abhor losing.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 4

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic