Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

11 hours ago, Zavala said:

It's almost like 90% of the team was recruited under his leadershit

And a bunch of his best players bailed early because the new boss is an underachieving asshole. 

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

All we need to know about Herman's coaching ability is that Chris Warren road the pine here last year, but led the NFL in rushing during the pre-season.

Yep. Let's make our bellcow RB a TE and give his carries to Kyle Porter. Sounds like a plan, man. 

3 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

This is the real elephant in the room. We have got to recruit consistently at a top 5 or top 10 to get the players we need. This shit show today doesn’t help.

Imagine going in to Zachary Evan’s living room and selling this steaming pile of shit as your product. Come here and get your 5 carries a game while we play favorites with lesser players. My two cents.

See Warren comment above. 

3 hours ago, MrBig said:

Nobody wants to play for someone who fucks with their food, monitors their piss, is in their personal space, and badmouths them when they decide to turn pro early. Herman needs to let the players grow and learn without turning them against each other by creating a hostile environment to showcase their talent.  

This is the quote that Herman made about the hot wife: "Winners get the corner office, the big house, the hot wife, the whole nine." It's from an article he wrote in September 2015 for SI eight months after getting the UH head coaching job.

Here's a link: https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/08/houstons-tom-herman-gives-first-person-look-his-head-coach-education

After reading it, I can't help but notice all the "I's" and "me's" Herman uses. I know it's an editorial, but this guy seems extremely focused on himself and vanity and external appearance. It is the college football equivalent of "Rock n roll can save the world. And the chicks are great." He sounds like a dick.

Monitoring their piss is no big deal. Those posters are all over the place, and I think it was ridiculous when some people thought it demonstrated MENSA's genius. They are in every army barracks in America, for example. No biggie. 

But the rest of your post is spot on. Herman has always been an arrogant, overrated dick. I've been saying so on these boards for two or three years now....He inherited a good small college QB, upset a couple of teams, but also lost to some fucking shit teams, and always had lame excuses as to why. If you were paying any attention at all to him in the Houston media, you could always see the dude was a fraud. I remember after the Coogs lost to Navy, he threw his own players under the bus on the radio, saying something like "Well, our starting LBs were hurt, and out backups kinda blow, and you can't beat an option team with shitty LBs." Nice one, MENSA boy. How about some BS like "We just didn't execute and that's on me and the rest of the staff." Or some other coachspeak bullshit. 

I think it was the same fucking interview...these moron Houston sports radio choads put his supposedly deep knowledge of Houston rap to the test and he failed that miserably too. Just because Z-Ro and Bun B came to a couple of games, he had people thinking he was J. Prince or some shit. It was all part of the fake "H-Town Takeover" image he concocted...And don't even get me started about his so-called recruiting genius. Ed Oliver was a once-in-a-lifetime fluke: family connections and wanted to stay close to home. If he was a real genius, he would have gotten him to transfer when he quit at UH. 

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Recruits, no question.

What else is he doing right at Texas?

Oh FFS how do we know his recruits are any better than Charlie's or Mack's last seven or so terrible classes? I am beyond sick of recruiting rankings when they mean less than zero in the wins department. 

I guess it’s rough when you realize your Texas degree taught you to think critically, while everyone else in the room is just heaping group think on top of hyperbole on top of PTSD. 

Of coirse some of today pissed me off,  notably the first quarter. After we quit dolling it up on D and (presumably) Herman took over play calling, I fail to see a lot to over react about.

im tired of fucking losing to, but to say there wasn’t progress after an abortion of a 1q would be disingenuous I think. This was just a weird fucking game. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I guess it’s rough when you realize your Texas degree taught you to think critically, while everyone else in the room is just heaping group think on top of hyperbole on top of PTSD. 

Of coirse some of today pissed me off,  notably the first quarter. After we quit dolling it up on D and (presumably) Herman took over play calling, I fail to see a lot to over react about.

im tired of fucking losing to, but to say there wasn’t progress after an abortion of a 1q would be disingenuous I think. This was just a weird fucking game. 

It did look like there was a change in play calling after the 1st, I completely agree.  But progress would have been Herman firing that fuck or at least demoting him and hiring a good OC last offseason. 

7 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Fine. If Herman is going to call plays, he should fire Tim Beck tomorrow and take over the OC duties. 

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Critical thinking demands taking full count of data during one's analysis. This game wasn't weird and it was remarkably similar to last years loss. The errors were also remarkably similar. 

The errors weren't in a single quarter and your dear Mensa leader even admitted that reality.

zGiven this data, concluding that there is no need to "over react" tells me all I need to know about your analytic skills and your critical thinking.

I appreciate your quotations and your personal shot, big guy. It was a weird game, unless you consider hour delays normal. I watched the game, “dear Mensa leader” didn’t have to tell me there were mistakes littered throughout. 

All I can say is that after quarter 1, O and D we looked better than any team I’ve seen since I graduated. This is not a Shawn Watson situation, as our HC actually knows what he needs to do on offense and I believe he will directly fix it. I never defended Beck. Shit happens in a 2 minute drill, coming from a hole we dug ourselves in the first quarter, mostly

Looking around the CFB landscape today, there are several good coaches that didn’t perform as a team like they should’ve. Sucks we are a part of that, but that’s also where our program is over the past 7 years.  I don’t care that much what someone on the internet thinks for my opinion but there you have my justification. 

I generally enjoy your posts, but if you want to be a dick no sweat off my back. Hope you rage hard over your long weekend, I’ll enjoy mine on the lake and look forward to USC. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I appreciate your quotations and your personal shot, big guy. It was a weird game, unless you consider hour delays normal. I watched the game, “dear Mensa leader” didn’t have to tell me there were mistakes littered throughout. 

All I can say is that after quarter 1, O and D we looked better than any team I’ve seen since I graduated. This is not a Shawn Watson situation, as our HC actually knows what he needs to do on offense and I believe he will directly fix it. I never defended Beck. Shit happens in a 2 minute drill, coming from a hole we dug ourselves in the first quarter, mostly

Looking around the CFB landscape today, there are several good coaches that didn’t perform as a team like they should’ve. Sucks we are a part of that, but that’s also where our program is over the past 7 years.  I don’t care that much what someone on the internet thinks for my opinion but there you have my justification. 

I generally enjoy your posts, but if you want to be a dick no sweat off my back. Hope you rage hard over your long weekend, I’ll enjoy mine on the lake and look forward to USC. 

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, XOVERX said:

Dude, we're all upset, even depressed. No need to get personal.

Right now, if it were up to me, if I was AD, I'd start a list for the next HC.

But Herman isn't going anywhere until the end of next year unless, possibly, we only win 2 or 3.

I think we'll probably win 5 to 7, given this MY loss. I hope we hit 11. Yeah, right.

As for graduating from Texas, I got mine on the wall. I've been around since the days of "It don't make a shit." Kind of like you.

At least there’s a good AD - can actually see the process being done right. 

Maryland's stadium is just a really tough place to play.  Very loud and intense and imposing.  Just like Kansas State or Oklahoma State or Texas Tech, hard to get outta there with a win.  Scares you to Death.  At least Mack had the decency to let you know he was kind of a pussy, Herman tried to get all cock n' swagger with it.  

It has been noted many times before. But it bears mentioning. Prior to coming to Texas Herman built his entire rep on being an elite coach from winning two specific games. FSU in the Peach bowl, and OU to start the following season.

That’s it, nothing on his resume suggests he is anything more then an average coach. Fuck, the argument could be made that he only beat FSU because they (FSU) didn’t even want to play the fucking game after their disastrous ending of a season. And caught OU on opening day where Oliver tee’ed off on a not yet ready offense that by months end was a far better group. Not to mention bag-o-dicks had a history of stinking up openers.

this is why a proper coaching search should always be conducted. Don’t just look at a name, look at what the guy actually did. Take nothing at face value. Texas has done this same shit for years. Yes they get it right sometimes (Royal, Mack), but they miss far to often.

I’m a big believer in signature moments. Folks don’t change. They are who they are, especially in careers. I was a big Tom Herman fan. Bought in. But this was the unveiling. That was unacceptable and he should be relieved, paid his contract, and shown to an Uber. 

• Like 1

Not using tempo in the second half should be grounds for termination

fuck you Herman and Texas for shitting all over football season in week one. 

Tell the wife to ease up on the CRedit cards so you can build some savings when you are looking for work soon. 

Such a fucking failure. I hope the Rose turns him away on two for Tuesday’s. 

Mike Finger gets it, as usual.

As usual, Tom Herman knew better than the rest of us.

He always has. From the month he stepped on campus as head coach at Texas, it became plainly obvious there was no reason to question the credentials of anyone he chose to hire or the caliber of anyone he chose to play, because most of us simple-minded folk cannot even dream of comprehending all of the subtle intricacies that go into such decisions.

And so it should have come as no surprise that the ignorant, unsophisticated football-watching public completely misconstrued what happened to Herman's Longhorns in their season-opening loss to Maryland on Saturday, when what appeared to be the latest in a long line of UT humiliations was actually nothing of the sort.

Silly us. We are so naïve, so painfully uninformed, that we thought we were watching a team as unprepared to start Herman's second season as it was to start its first. Dummies that we are, we assumed that a flurry of bone-headed penalties and a rash of late-game turnovers were signs of a squad that remains as sloppy and as undisciplined as ever, but the truth is we just did not understand how much the Longhorns had improved.

Thankfully, Herman was gracious enough to break it down for the reporters covering the game in Landover, Maryland, and thereby set a country full of mouth-breathing college football watchers straight.

Sure, it might have seemed like the Longhorns made all the same mistakes they did last year, and that the offense showed no signs of progress from a season in which it ranked as one of the worst in the Big 12, but that's only because we did not notice any of the details Herman and his staff did.

"We saw a lot of development," Herman said. "I wouldn't say we failed in that area."

And although we know-nothings might have assumed it might be a unnerving to lose a second consecutive opener to a moribund program that had spent the last month mired in a scandal, and was playing for an interim head coach, and had not beaten any ranked team aside from UT in 22 tries dating to 2011, it's actually no big deal.

After all, when Herman was asked by some knee-jerk journalist to describe how big a setback the defeat was for a program that wants so desperately to be taken seriously again that it made "Prove Us Right" the team motto, he answered, "Not very."

After all, can't the world see how right the wise John Mackovic was when he referred to such temporary embarrassments as "a blip on the radar screen?"

The general public just has no perspective. Fans watch a team suffer a loss like Saturday's, which flukishly included a bunch of the symptoms of six losses last fall, and they trick themselves into seeing the continuation of a trend.

That nonsense makes Herman shake his head.

"A lot of people are going to want to say this feels a lot like last year," Herman said. "It doesn't to me."

What the rest of us need to realize is that Vince Lombardi was wrong. Winning isn't the only thing. And Bill Parcells misspoke when he said a team is what its record says it is.

Sometimes, all that matters is how good the team thinks it is. And the outside world just needs to trust the coach on that.

"We know how much better we are now than we were probably at any point last year," Herman said. "We didn't show it in the first quarter and the fourth quarter."

Minor details, those. Second-guessing anything that happens during pivotal moments in the game — which quarterback Herman uses, which plays the team runs, etc. — is pointless, just as it was to second-guess the decisions Herman made way back when he was just starting at UT.

Some of us remember the reception he got when he hired Tim Beck as offensive coordinator, despite a bit of a lackluster track record, and when he hired Casey Horny as a quality control assistant, despite his longtime association with a Baylor staff apparently unaware of what was happening in its own program.

Herman's message back then was clear. He knew better than the rest of us.

And clearly, he still does. He surely realizes that UT fans never should have expected a national contender to come anytime soon, anyway. After all, over the past 34 years, the Longhorns have finished as many seasons unranked as they have in the Top 25.

That decade-long streak of success to start the Mack Brown era? That was the outlier, not the norm.

Despite what many Longhorns continue to believe, winning football games is not their birthright. They need to realize all of this is far more complicated than it looks.

And they need to admit that when it comes to believing their own eyes or the guy who knows better, well, the choice is obvious.

Thankfully, Herman was gracious enough to break it down for the reporters covering the game in Layland, and thery set a country full of mouth-breathing college football watchers straight.Sure, it might have seemed like the horns mame mistakes they did last year, and that the offense showed no signs of progress from a season in which it ranked as one of the worst in the Big 12, but that's only because we did not notice any of the details Herman and his staff did."We saw a lot of development," Herman said. "I wouldn't say we failed in that area."

• Like 1

this is why a proper coaching search should always be conducted. Don’t just look at a name, look at what the guy actually did. Take nothing at face value. Texas has done this same shit for years. Yes they get it right sometimes (Royal, Mack), but they miss far to often.

Since we didn’t kick tires and have a mechanic inspect the car before buying, we have a lemon.

Ladies and gentlemen, we hired a choad, a fucking half a momo. A fraud.

3daa2b329e69cf7cf8b910e40853ab8f.jpeg

14ef59eb518470879809dc629ae04dae.jpeg

5efe767cfd878370002009de9af2f556.png

If tim beck is not demoted by tuesday afternoon, this guy is worse than charlie.

Do we have rex kramer’s permission to call this guy a potato?

• Like 2

From 1986 - 1997 , UT was 77-60-2 under 3 coaches named Fred Akers, David McWilliams and John Mackovic

From 2010-2017, UT was 53-48 under Bad Mack, Strong and Herman.  Count 2014-2018 game 1, UT is 23-28.

After UT dumps Herman, I think we sill have one more bad hire, then glory.

We need to hire an overachieving coach from a P5 school, just as Mack was. 

This year, I think the D will continue to improve and be respectable after they fix their blown assignments. The O is just bad structure and needs to be blown up, it's hopeless.  

A 1-5 start is a real possibility.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Maryland's stadium is just a really tough place to play.  Very loud and intense and imposing.  Just like Kansas State or Oklahoma State or Texas Tech, hard to get outta there with a win.  Scares you to Death.  At least Mack had the decency to let you know he was kind of a pussy, Herman tried to get all cock n' swagger with it.  

Except we played in DC. And still sucked

It has been noted many times before. But it bears mentioning. Prior to coming to Texas Herman built his entire rep on being an elite coach from winning two specific games. FSU in the Peach bowl, and OU to start the following season.
That’s it, nothing on his resume suggests he is anything more then an average coach. Fuck, the argument could be made that he only beat FSU because they (FSU) didn’t even want to play the fucking game after their disastrous ending of a season. And caught OU on opening day where Oliver tee’ed off on a not yet ready offense that by months end was a far better group. Not to mention bag-o-dicks had a history of stinking up openers.

The problem stems from our Big Cigars making emotional judgments and the ADs not reeling them in. Though Patterson was on the other end of the spectrum and should have let them have their input.

Herman is a mid-major game coach at best. He’s actually done a decent job with promoting the program as a whole but as you all said, too arrogant to see his flaws.

I finally caved and listened to the post game presser and now I’m pissed.

i started to think back to off season and fall camp pressers about play call duties and the fact we have a OC and then say it’s a collaboration it shows he is circling the wagons to protect his buddy. We pay a guy a shit load to be the guy that calls plays, puts the best talent on the field and instead we say “we all are involved in game planning and callingplays”.

what a clusterfuck.

i can’t believe I’m staring down the barrel of another bullshit season of 6-6 or 7-5. 

Also Herman said in his opening statement that most will say this feels like last year but not to him??? Yea it’s worse than last year Tom! This year you have better talent, a full season on both sides of the ball for guys to know what you want and how to play so there is no excuse! 

Tom has crossed into denial we all see from coaches that know they are going to get shitcanned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

i started to think back to off season and fall camp pressers about play call duties and the fact we have a OC and then say it’s a collaboration it shows he is circling the wagons to protect his buddy. We pay a guy a shit load to be the guy that calls plays, puts the best talent on the field and instead we say “we all are involved in game planning and callingplays”.

what a clusterfuck.

i can’t believe I’m staring down the barrel of another bullshit season of 6-6 or 7-5. 

Also Herman said in his opening statement that most will say this feels like last year but not to him??? Yea it’s worse than last year Tom! This year you have better talent, a full season on both sides of the ball for guys to know what you want and how to play so there is no excuse! 

Tom has crossed into denial we all see from coaches that know they are going to get shitcanned.

I mean even dumbass Charlie potato saw he needed to can his OC after the first game. 

This seems really bad. 

7 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

We now have our 2nd Herman apologist.  He should have to wear some flair.  

10 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Orlando’s defense was not prepared again, and you want to make him a head coach?

I give Orlando a small break. There's been a severe talent ans experience drop off and by the second half the D had mostly gotten its shit together. 

That offense, though. 

what a clusterfuck.

Plus, we will fuck this up in a down big 12 this year.
  • Like 1

Cool stat.  Ingram averaged 6.2 yards per carry, 2 ypc more than any of our other backs.  His last carry came with 5:20 to go in the 2nd quarter. 

Holy shit Mensabeck.  This is a Tim Beck special - going away from the hot hand . He did it all the time at tOSU.  Zeke Elliott even called him out on it publicly.  But it looks like Herm thinks this is swell as well.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Cool stat.  Ingram averaged 6.2 yards per carry, 2 ypc more than any of our other backs.  His last carry came with 5:20 to go in the 2nd quarter. 

Holy shit Mensabeck.  This is a Tim Beck special - going away from the hot hand . He did it all the time at tOSU.  Zeke Elliott even called him out on it publicly.  But it looks like Herm thinks this is swell as well.  

Yeesh. 

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Our offensive coaching staff is hot garbage. If Herman is fired at Texas, the root cause will be easy to identify. 

So all the hope that Herman started calling plays is more Texas bs. And if he was calling plays then we are 'proper fucked Tommy'. Because as most have noted the offense went away from what worked and then went all Kyle Porter.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic