Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I dont understand why we didnt run a single qb draw, a single RB screen, or any type of play action on offense

Dissappearing Deontay is the crime of the day.  Everything else you listed is exhibit 2a, 2b, etc.

CDC, will you let this stand?  Beck's head on a pike Tuesday morning is the only palliative.

Just now, EtOH said:

He gotta go.  Ain’t nothing going to change.  It’s now a question of how many years will cdc give him to suck. He will be fired. We are in the trench for the long haul. 

I agree.  I gave Charles more time because I think he was not all there,  but this guy, he is supposed to be MENSA.  Genius level tard is what Tom PEE WEE Herman is.  That team today was one of the worst prepared teams I have ever seen except for the Strong era Notre Dame game.  BYU with D_az and Mack may take the cake.

• Fuck You 1

I don't have a transcript from this clown's presser but pulling quotes from various media write-ups is comical.

“A lot of people are gonna want to say this feels a lot like last year. It doesn’t to me,” Herman said. He’s now 7-7 at Texas, but the coach truly believes “we’re a better team now than we showed.”

You guys wanting Herman gone are going to learn how I felt in early September, 2016.
"The coach sucks, and there's nothing anyone can do about it."

Thankfully for me, Charlie Strong went 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7, and lost to Kansas.

Worst case scenario now is that Herman keeps going 8-4 and 9-3 year after year and doesn't provide any clear reasons to fire him after 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Disco Missile said:

Worst case scenario now is that Herman keeps going 8-4 and 9-3 year after year and doesn't provide any clear reasons to fire him after 3 years.

keeps?  When is he going to start?  Maryland for damn sure isn't in our most 4 difficult opponents this year.

• Like 2

I won’t write him off just yet. However, it’s clear his band of brothers he brought with him to coach here aren’t up to it. I have no idea how experienced these guys are, but I do remember feeling like this is a young bunch of coaches. It’s clear they have no idea how to prepare for game 1. Hopefully we improve like last year, but at a greater rate. I thought we were a little better than last year on offense. Defense about the same as last years Maryland game. I’ve said it several times in other threads, but I don’t see any athleticism, speed, suddenness. You know, all those characteristics of a good team. Just so boring.

1 minute ago, bigcigar said:

It’s not chicken little when you lose to fucking Maryland

Yes, Maryland.  Twice.  In the last two years.  Powerhouse Maryland, coaching turmoil, 4 and what last year?  

They actually looked good except they got a bit cocky going for that 4th down in their own territory.  Showed how much respect for the PEE WEE Herman lead Longhorns.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

You guys wanting Herman gone are going to learn how I felt in early September, 2016.
"The coach sucks, and there's nothing anyone can do about it."

Thankfully for me, Charlie Strong went 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7, and lost to Kansas.

Lulz.  9-3 this season?  What planet are you on?

2 minutes ago, FizzleFish said:

I’ve said it several times in other threads, but I don’t see any athleticism, speed, suddenness. You know, all those characteristics of a good team. Just so boring.

This was striking, from the opening kickoff, on both sides of the ball. Same exact thing in last year's opener. Something is really, really wrong with how we handle our fall camp. 

1 minute ago, FizzleFish said:

I won’t write him off just yet. However, it’s clear his band of brothers he brought with him to coach here aren’t up to it. I have no idea how experienced these guys are, but I do remember feeling like this is a young bunch of coaches. It’s clear they have no idea how to prepare for game 1. Hopefully we improve like last year, but at a greater rate. I thought we were a little better than last year on offense. Defense about the same as last years Maryland game. I’ve said it several times in other threads, but I don’t see any athleticism, speed, suddenness. You know, all those characteristics of a good team. Just so boring.

I think Herman can still put it together. And you're right about him being young.

Herman does a lot of things right. But there's something he's doing wrong that isn't obvious yet outside of results. Maybe he learns before we do.
First things first, offensive scheming, play calls, and personnel rotation is a mess. He doesn't explain why he does what he does so we're left to speculate. And we're all angry so we speculate he's a dipshit surrounded by dipshits. Maybe that's true.

Mack and Strong were old. They weren't going to change their bad habits. Maybe Herman can figure it out.

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This was striking, from the opening kickoff, on both sides of the ball. Same exact thing in last year's opener. Something is really, really wrong with how we handle our fall camp. 

Tom sniffs his own farts all fall and has no idea what he’s trotting out there for the first snap. 

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Let this sink in...

In his worst year, Sumlin out preformed or matched our current and former coach.

I don't think he's a good coach, at all.

Yet the reality is, based on performance at Aggy and our current state, and record, he is better than our current and former coach. Keep in mind that worst season that out performed our previous coach and ties our current coach got him fired.

The point you should think about is not how good Sumlin is, rather how bad our/s were/are... 

We? I thought you were off the Herman train and waiting on tracks for Stumblin? 

I think Herman can still put it together. And you're right about him being young.
Herman does a lot of things right. But there's something he's doing wrong that isn't obvious yet outside of results. Maybe he learns before we do.
First things first, offensive scheming, play calls, and personnel rotation is a mess. He doesn't explain why he does what he does so we're left to speculate. And we're all angry so we speculate he's a dipshit surrounded by dipshits. Maybe that's true.
Mack and Strong were old. They weren't going to change their bad habits. Maybe Herman can figure it out.

Texas isnt a place for on the job training. No, coaches arent given years to figure things out. Competition is too stiff. Show improvement by year 2, or the seat is hot.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

Recruits, no question.

What else is he doing right at Texas?

Conditioning is the big one.
He's also done well at filling holes in the roster. Getting *some* talented position coaches on staff. Like I said elsewhere we're better than last year. It's not a stark difference but the improvements are there.

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Heheh, you amuse me.

So answer a question, do you think Herman is better or worse than Rumlin?

Please support your answer with evidence.

Better. He didn't get fired from aggy. 

He's also not a stumblin drunk retard.

You gonna change your username when Herman is bringing actual championships here and Kevin Strumblins is in rehab?

I sensed Herman was a fraud when he’s asked tough questions; he always pauses and has to think how to answer them. They seem to stump him. This is pretty common with him.

I hope CDC has some balls and is heating up his seat. He should have never been allowed to bring all of his JV staff here with him.

No excuses on how unprepared we were. That lies on Herman.

1 minute ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Texas isnt a place for on the job training. No, coaches arent given years to figure things out. Competition is too stiff. Show improvement by year 2, or the seat is hot.

I agree, yet here we are. I just don’t get why he didn’t go out and get several of the best assistants. He brought over most of that coog staff who I think are all pretty inexperienced. We all know that several of these guys won’t be back next year and that’s based off last year. Was this dude hand cuffed in some way from hiring an experienced staff?  I think I like a lot about Herman, but he’s inexperienced and I don’t think he has anyone on staff to lean on and learn the ropes. I guess I was hoping Hand could do some of this. It’s hard to lead a group of men.

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Heheh, better than last year? Based on what, specifically? Also, where do you obtain your drugs? Asking for a friend.

Did you watch the game?
How about one sack and no QB hurries? That's a pretty stark improvement from last year.
142 yards rushing, 263 yards passing.
We haven't had that amount of offensive production against a Big 5 team since D'Onta was here, and that was one year. Prior to that it was 2014. 
Not that we don't have issues on offense - we do. But it's also an obvious improvement.

Special Teams overall is better, although Dickson is irreplaceable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Conditioning is the big one.
He's also done well at filling holes in the roster. Getting *some* talented position coaches on staff. Like I said elsewhere we're better than last year. It's not a stark difference but the improvements are there.

Today was a major step backward in Herman's tenure at Texas.  Major.  Facing a team that was in disarray, that just so happened to clock you last year in your home openerand first game as HC, and you come up with a disorganized, uninspired and mistake-ridden performance? If you weren't going to go out and be balls out today, when will you?

Where and how are we now better on September 1?

For a guy so supposedly smart, he gets out coached a lot....a lot

Exactly. The amount of times their guys on O were running around in space with no white Jersey within 10 yards was mind bottling. There's no way our guys were out of position that much unless that's where they were coached to be. And the O playcalling looked like some random shit my 5 year old would have picked on Madden.

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Today was a major step backward in Herman's tenure at Texas.  Major.  Facing a team that was in disarray, that just so happened to clock you last year in your home openerand first game as HC, and you come up with a disorganized, uninspired and mistake-ridden performance? If you weren't going to go out and be balls out today, when will you?

Where and how are we now better on September 1?

You're talking about the Narrative, not specifics.

Yes Herman's hype machine crashed and burned once again and it was an embarrassment. But the team improved. It should have been obvious but I gave some examples a few posts above.

As usual, Tom Herman knew better than the rest of us.

He always has. From the month he stepped on campus as head coach at Texas, it became plainly obvious there was no reason to question the credentials of anyone he chose to hire or the caliber of anyone he chose to play, because most of us simple-minded folk cannot even dream of comprehending all of the subtle intricacies that go into such decisions.

And so it should have come as no surprise that the ignorant, unsophisticated football-watching public completely misconstrued what happened to Herman's Longhorns in their season-opening loss to Maryland on Saturday, when what appeared to be the latest in a long line of UT humiliations was actually nothing of the sort.

Silly us. We are so naïve, so painfully uninformed, that we thought we were watching a team as unprepared to start Herman's second season as it was to start its first. Dummies that we are, we assumed that a flurry of bone-headed penalties and a rash of late-game turnovers were signs of a squad that remains as sloppy and as undisciplined as ever, but the truth is we just did not understand how much the Longhorns had improved.

Thankfully, Herman was gracious enough to break it down for the reporters covering the game in Landover, Maryland, and thereby set a country full of mouth-breathing college football watchers straight.

Sure, it might have seemed like the Longhorns made all the same mistakes they did last year, and that the offense showed no signs of progress from a season in which it ranked as one of the worst in the Big 12, but that's only because we did not notice any of the details Herman and his staff did.

"We saw a lot of development," Herman said. "I wouldn't say we failed in that area."

And although we know-nothings might have assumed it might be a unnerving to lose a second consecutive opener to a moribund program that had spent the last month mired in a scandal, and was playing for an interim head coach, and had not beaten any ranked team aside from UT in 22 tries dating to 2011, it's actually no big deal.

After all, when Herman was asked by some knee-jerk journalist to describe how big a setback the defeat was for a program that wants so desperately to be taken seriously again that it made "Prove Us Right" the team motto, he answered, "Not very."

After all, can't the world see how right the wise John Mackovic was when he referred to such temporary embarrassments as "a blip on the radar screen?"

The general public just has no perspective. Fans watch a team suffer a loss like Saturday's, which flukishly included a bunch of the symptoms of six losses last fall, and they trick themselves into seeing the continuation of a trend.

That nonsense makes Herman shake his head.

"A lot of people are going to want to say this feels a lot like last year," Herman said. "It doesn't to me."

What the rest of us need to realize is that Vince Lombardi was wrong. Winning isn't the only thing. And Bill Parcells misspoke when he said a team is what its record says it is.

Sometimes, all that matters is how good the team thinks it is. And the outside world just needs to trust the coach on that.

"We know how much better we are now than we were probably at any point last year," Herman said. "We didn't show it in the first quarter and the fourth quarter."

Minor details, those. Second-guessing anything that happens during pivotal moments in the game — which quarterback Herman uses, which plays the team runs, etc. — is pointless, just as it was to second-guess the decisions Herman made way back when he was just starting at UT.

Some of us remember the reception he got when he hired Tim Beck as offensive coordinator, despite a bit of a lackluster track record, and when he hired Casey Horny as a quality control assistant, despite his longtime association with a Baylor staff apparently unaware of what was happening in its own program.

Herman's message back then was clear. He knew better than the rest of us.

And clearly, he still does. He surely realizes that UT fans never should have expected a national contender to come anytime soon, anyway. After all, over the past 34 years, the Longhorns have finished as many seasons unranked as they have in the Top 25.

That decade-long streak of success to start the Mack Brown era? That was the outlier, not the norm.

Despite what many Longhorns continue to believe, winning football games is not their birthright. They need to realize all of this is far more complicated than it looks.

And they need to admit that when it comes to believing their own eyes or the guy who knows better, well, the choice is obvious. [/spoiler]

fucking mensa.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Finger-Tom-Herman-still-smarter-than-rest-of-us-13199580.php

Edited by mr. littlejeans
  • Like 6

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic