Houston Drivers

Errestaurants

13 minutes ago, sidis said:

posts that quantify the ability of 4 million people's ability to drive vs. another set of 2 million people's ability to drive based on their residential location and the quantifiers subjective experiences are funny.

You've obviously never been to Seattle.

Call 311 if you see debris on the streets.  Don't assume someone has done it.   Works with broken traffic lights, pot holes, water main leaks, etc.   There is no guarantee everything is fixed immediately but I also don't think there are road crews roaming every street looking for things to fix.  you got to tell them.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Call 311 if you see debris on the streets.  Don't assume someone has done it.   Works with broken traffic lights, pot holes, water main leaks, etc.   There is no guarantee everything is fixed immediately but I also don't think there are road crews roaming every street looking for things to fix.  you got to tell them.

You can download the 311 app and do it from your phone, while driving preferably.  😉

If any of you motherfuckers drive 30 miles an hour down Westheimer b/t 610 and the Beltway, you're goddamned right I'm going to weave around and pass you.  If you drive 45ish at non peak times, you can time the lights and hit mostly green lights.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Changing the subject for a second, Cedar Park to Houston (Meyerland or possibly Memorial depending if I see family), would you choose 290 or 71 on a Sunday? I use to always go 71 back in the day but now traffic seems to always be a pain in the ass in Bastrop.

google maps it.  time should be about the same (and bastrop has a lot of overpasses now - traffic isn't that bad anymore) if traffic is moving.  your main concern is an accident on 290 or I10. my parents live in del boca vista in georgetown and i live near DT houston, so i have a lot of experience in this matter.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

On the way home the other day there was a full 12 foot ladder that had fallen off a truck sitting in the middle lane of the Hardy. I watched two people run it over (they couldn't swerve as they were boxed in that lane), some rungs fly off into someone's windshield, and almost ran over a rung myself as I swerved toward the left barrier.

Going home yesterday I was waiting for the left turn onto the 45 north ramp from Dallas/Bagby downtown. We have the green left turn arrow when the guy in a Jeep 2 cars in front of me gets fucking plowed by a Metro bus running a red light. Destroyed the front half of his car. Metro driver gets out and shrugs her shoulders at him after she decided to blaze through a solid red at rush hour downtown.

This morning I was doing 80 in the center lane on the Hardy and someone blew past me weaving in and out doing at least 100. Not half a mile back I had passed a constable doing 55 mph in the right lane apparently too busy to pull over the guy flying down the road at 100+

That's just in the last two days. Houston driving is a harrowing experience to say the least.

Edited by 936horn

6 hours ago, Shenanigans said:

I'm impressed by the amount of people I see drive over the pylons to get into the managed lanes on I-10 when they see traffic starting to back up but they didn't want to pay the toll.

Totaled my truck in January because some asshole did this right in front of me. Actually got it on my dash cam:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zwylde said:

^^^^^

Good job of not absolutely kicking the shit out of that dumbass!  (assuming you didn't) 

I actually never spoke to him because I was worried I'd lose my temper and hit him. It was satisfying seeing the cops take him to jail for reckless driving after watching the dash cam footage. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

But to be fair, there's so much traffic in Austin you can't drive like shit because you barely move. 

Oh, life finds a way.

One trait I'm running into a lot lately are drivers ahead of me who, when approaching a stale green light, slow down just enough to make sure they will be the last car to get through the yellow, while blocking me out. I swear it is fucking deliberate.

Same goes for the case where I'm stuck in a line of cars stopped at a red light, and the shithead in front of me accelerates real slow when the light turns green;  so they can be the last car through before it goes red again. 

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

Oh, life finds a way.

One trait I'm running into a lot lately are drivers ahead of me who, when approaching a stale green light, slow down just enough to make sure they will be the last car to get through the yellow, while blocking me out. I swear it is fucking deliberate.

Same goes for the case where I'm stuck in a line of cars stopped at a red light, and the shithead in front of me accelerates real slow when the light turns green;  so they can be the last car through before it goes red again. 

Who wants to be the last through a light?  First ticket. 

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

Changing the subject for a second, Cedar Park to Houston (Meyerland or possibly Memorial depending if I see family), would you choose 290 or 71 on a Sunday? I use to always go 71 back in the day but now traffic seems to always be a pain in the ass in Bastrop.

Sunday?

Before -11:30am- 71

After 12pm- 290 and drop down on 99 or the beltway  

The real issue is I-10 when returning SA and Austin traffic combine into 2 lanes from 71 until you reach Brookshire.  It is particularly bad on holiday weekends and home game weekends. That  ~40 mile stretch can be 2+ hours of bumper to bumper stop and go traffic if you hit that section after 2 pm on those Sundays. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Oh, life finds a way.

What I have called the Dallas Rule of Driving for nearly 30 years: If the car in front of you makes it through the light, you do too.

• Like 1

Entirely too many semis on Houston highways.    I take 59 to 10 then south on 45 to either the Dallas or Allen Parkway exit.   this morning on 10 there were 4 semis driving almost side by side between 59 and 45.  this was at 6:15 in the morning.  We're all stuck going 50 mph behind these asswipes. 

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Entirely too many semis on Houston highways.    I take 59 to 10 then south on 45 to either the Dallas or Allen Parkway exit.   this morning on 10 there were 4 semis driving almost side by side between 59 and 45.  this was at 6:15 in the morning.  We're all stuck going 50 mph behind these asswipes. 

Co-sign. I will add, my main beef though is that you'll come up on a pack of semis and one guy is doing 53 and the others are doing 51 mph, so the guy going 53 will of course need to pass in the left lane. Doesn't matter that it takes 10 miles to over take the guy going 51, and totally fucks up traffic behind him, by God he has got to pass to keep going 53 mph.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2018 at 12:58 AM, Errestaurants said:

Suck it, Arlington.

16 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Co-sign. I will add, my main beef though is that you'll come up on a pack of semis and one guy is doing 53 and the others are doing 51 mph, so the guy going 53 will of course need to pass in the left lane. Doesn't matter that it takes 10 miles to over take the guy going 51, and totally fucks up traffic behind him, by God he has got to pass to keep going 53 mph.

Truckers do this all over.  My guess is that they are trying to conserve fuel and don't want to floor it.  They really get pissed when they have to slow down unexpectedly or when they get stuck behind a slower truck in front of them and the cars in the left lane prevent them from passing.

You have to drive aggressively in Houston. I’m not talking driving 30 mph over and changing lanes nonstop. I’m just talking about keeping your ass moving. I’ll take it everyday over Austin or SA (especially after a drop of rain hits the ground). I don’t have enough seat time in the DFW area to know what it’s like up there. 

You guys complaining about fast drivers sound like a bunch of pussies.   Stay out of the way and we won't bother you.  Right lane is all yours.  Rest of us have places to be.  

And whenever a semi is trying to pass another group at a ridiculously low speed/rate, I typically pull in front of that semi once I can pass and decelerate until they're forced to slow down.  Because fuck him.  They need to realize how annoying that shit is.  The ones on 45 between Houston and Dallas are the worst I've enountered.  

Electric trucks seem to be a good fix to this problem because they can accelerate much more quickly, but take my word for it, there are going to be a ton of accidents with those as they become more prevalent. I've seen a lot of guys driving them very recklessly.  They seem to think they can operate them like a regular car with the extra pickup.  

15 hours ago, mapplewhite132 said:

I actually never spoke to him because I was worried I'd lose my temper and hit him. It was satisfying seeing the cops take him to jail for reckless driving after watching the dash cam footage. 

It's hard to believe that he wasn't seriously injured as it looked like you nailed him directly in the drivers door.

16 hours ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Totaled my truck in January because some asshole did this right in front of me. Actually got it on my dash cam:

Fucking wild. I'd have been uncontrollably ragey. When the video started though I thought for SURE it'd be an early to mid 2000s BMW 325 that cut in, but a 10 year old infiniti g35 with budget blacked out rims would have been a close second guess.

Edited by 936horn

10 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

It's hard to believe that he wasn't seriously injured as it looked like you nailed him directly in the drivers door.

I honestly thought I'd killed the guy when it first happened. It was a really awful deal. 

My pregnant wife was in the front seat, and we lost the baby as a result. 

4 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

I honestly thought I'd killed the guy when it first happened. It was a really awful deal. 

Oh man I am sorry.  I don't know how you could have shown any restraint to that asshole.  

Houston is a tough place to drive.  I live way outside of Houston and sometimes have to drive into town, I hate it.  Don't know how some of you guys do that daily.

10 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

shit, sorry man, that's one of the worst feelings. Was the guy charged with anything like manslaughter or something?

Just now, Viper said:

shit, sorry man, that's one of the worst feelings. Was the guy charged with anything like manslaughter or something?

The cops said they'd send it over to the DA, but that it was a long shot because you can't really prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accident caused the miscarriage. 

Still dealing with all the insurance b.s. Got a good lawyer though. 

14 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

12 minutes ago, Shenanigans said:

Holy shit, I'm so sorry man, that is terrible.

Damn, that's a tough pill to swallow.  Hope you both recover from the mental and emotional anguish without a hitch.

24 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Man that's terrible.  We just had our baby back in May so I can't imagine losing one like that.  I'd have raged on the guy.

16 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Oh, life finds a way.

I see it too. You’re giving them too much credit. It is lack of awareness, as opposed to deliberately screwing someone. 

I’ve been driving in Houston my whole life, and I don’t think there has been a day when I didn’t have to take evasive action to avoid hitting someone who seems to have no clue about what’s going on around them on the road. It seems to be getting worse as well. I’m about at the point of just driving around in a beat up old f-150 so I can just go ahead and plow into these fuckers.

2 hours ago, mapplewhite132 said:

The cops said they'd send it over to the DA, but that it was a long shot because you can't really prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accident caused the miscarriage. 

Still dealing with all the insurance b.s. Got a good lawyer though. 

Sorry didn't see this post.    It matters what a jury would do and they would cut the check without a doubt.  The insurance company knows this.  Any negotiation aside from policy limits is a bad play on their part.  

My favorite Houston maneuver is the three finger salute - that’s when the driver right in front of you comes to almost a complete stop, on a highway, in order to cross three lanes to catch the highway exit. It happens to me almost every day. Think about the absurdity of that.

• Like 1

Oh, man.   I avoid the Galleria/Memorial area at all costs.   That intersection at Woodway and 610 is terrible and one of the worst.  Other than 3:00 am on Christmas morning, there is never a good time to drive in that area.

Yep. I drive it every day. Some days you can go two red light cycles without being able to pass because those assholes keep blocking the intersection.

12 hours ago, HouTex said:

Truckers do this all over.  My guess is that they are trying to conserve fuel and don't want to floor it.  They really get pissed when they have to slow down unexpectedly or when they get stuck behind a slower truck in front of them and the cars in the left lane prevent them from passing.

What I don't get is the amount of time they save is minimal compared to just riding behind the trailer in front of them and benefiting from the increased mileage from being in their draft.