Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

49 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Is this just a bunch of BS or is there something to all of this?  Just asking.  

https://www.texasobserver.org/2483-eminent-disaster-a-cabal-of-politicians-and-profiteers-targets-an-el-paso-barrio/

That article is 11 years old.   I would assume the issue was resolved or Beto would not be in DC as a congressman. 

40 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

No way.

There is a way he is going for a publicity grab and counter to Trump.

Avennatti doesn't give 2 shits about Beto or any other Democrat running in 2018.

He's just doing this shit to annoy Trump because he's a troll and he likes media attention.  And it's hilarious. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

That article is 11 years old.   I would assume the issue was resolved or Beto would not be in DC as a congressman. 

I know it is 11 years old.  It reads to be some shady dealing (what politician is not shady?).  Cruz has referenced this in a TV spot here in Houston.

10 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I think it's somehow tied to some imminent domain shit Cruz and bunch are trying to hype up. 

Beto should ask Ted Cruz how the US government plans to acquire the land to build the wall he supports along the Rio Grande.  Are all those Texans just going to happily hand over their property to the government for free?

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Beto should ask Ted Cruz how the US government plans to acquire the land to build the wall he supports along the Rio Grande.  Are all those Texans just going to happily hand over their property to the government for free?

Had I any land along the border I wouldn't just hand it over.  Emenint domain doesn't mean one simply "hands over" land.  There is (allegedly) just compensation.

9 minutes ago, deadshank said:

It was investigated and reported by  The Texas Observer which has a pretty good reputation for investigative reporting.

Yeah, i didn't read the whole article.  I haven't seen anywhere else where this went? 

Apparently it fizzled out due to local concerns:

In the 1980s, Segundo Barrio was considered a "rough neighborhood."[14]

Flooding in 2006 affected Segundo Barrio. The area was evacuated temporarily in August 2006.[15] A historic building which dated from 1910, the Casitas del Norte Apartments were damaged by the flooding and subsequently renovated by the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG).[16]

In 2010, the City of El Paso devised a Neighborhood Revitalization Strategy.[17] The strategy was known locally as "El Plan," and was written up initially by the Paso del Norte Group.[10] The plan was intended to help "address El Segundo's substandard housing as well as its high levels of unemployment," however, the plan also advised demolishing many historic and important cultural buildings.[1] The City would use eminent domain to take property in Segundo Barrio.[10] Approximately 168 acres were slated to be destroyed and about 157 acres would be designated as historic areas.[10] The public was furious, creating a group called Land Grab Opponents of El Paso.[18] The outcry against destroying buildings in Segundo Barrio caused the city to change its plans.[18]

PBS video on El Segundo Barrio

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I just picture a debate where Cruz is asked about Trump's mocking of a woman testifying about sexual assault, Cruz says Trump was wrong, Trump says "fuck you and your JFK-killing father and your batshit insane and ugly wife!"

I can’t wait for trumps speech at teds event with ted looking up at him adoring and with complete admiration when trump tells the audience, “vote your conscience” and then points at ted and says his dad killed Kennedy and I can prove it. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 1

Donald Trump Jr. is expected to be in Texas this week to campaign for Senator Ted Cruz.

Trump Jr. is expected to campaign for Cruz in a public rally in Wichita Falls and Conroe Wednesday.

Cruz, who is locked in a tight race against Congressman Beto O’Rourke, will be at the rallies.

Private fundraisers are scheduled as well including a luncheon in Austin and a dinner near Houston.

Trump Jr. is expected to be accompanied by his girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle, formerly with Fox News.

They’re already in town. For real. Another body blow to Austin being cool.

And private polling Republicans have conducted since last week’s hearing has shown a similar growth in enthusiasm among their voters, particularly in the sort of red states where control of the Senate will be decided.

Party officials, for example, are growing increasingly confident that Senator Ted Cruz will fend off Representative Beto O’Rourke, in part because of rank-and-file conservative anger about the Kavanaugh controversy. A Republican survey taken after last week’s hearing showed Mr. Cruz leading Mr. O’Rourke by eight points.

“I don’t know the durability of it, but we have seen a consolidation of Republican voters the likes of which we haven’t seen this cycle,” said Josh Holmes, one of Mr. McConnell’s top advisers, noting that for political purposes, it would be better if the confirmation vote were even closer to the election.

Yes, this is blowback on Kavanaugh but I also think it brings into focus an issue with Beto's strategy.  If you're starting 18 points down, it's going to be hard to make up all that ground going positive the entire time.  Maybe he can pull it off, but IMO, someone needs to be pounding the message about Cruz's deficiencies as a Senator and man....

I’m really torn on that. I love the campaign Beto is running. His positivity is what led me to open my wallet for a politician for the first time ever. On the other hand, you have a piece of shit in every aspect of the word and you are going to do nothing to draw attention to it? Maybe some outside groups can do the dirty work and Beto can keep his nose clean.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Still not buying Cruz being way ahead.  

Trump Jr, Trump Sr, and Pence all coming to campaign for him, when they all have much better things to do/places to be.  Doesn’t add up.   Cruz sucking up their time that they’d probably rather be spending in House races. 

This is where I'm at too.  Lots of GOP time and money being spent in Texas.  If they had good internals, they'd be elsewhere. 

Trump Jr, Trump Sr, and Pence all coming to campaign for him, when they all have much better things to do/places to be.  Doesn’t add up.   Cruz sucking up their time that they’d probably rather be spending in House races. 
My wife registered to vote for the first time ever specifically to vote out the Rs. Mostly Trump inspired. She knows that the more control the D's have, the more likely that Trump is out. She isn't the only one in our circle who wasn't politically active until now. There is a lot of shock and disgust amongst the silent moderates that the electorate actually voted Trump in and have realized that the politics of this country have gotten out of hand.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Most of these campaign stops were already set up last week.  These numbers are coming from what played out last week and probably were only available in the last 48 hours and some of it is probably fleeting, a pop on a very partisan issue, and while you may not buy it (probably because you don't want to), is it plausible that a 2-3 point lead stretched to a 4-5 point lead?  Will this pop have legs?  But more to the point, Beto is allowing his opponent and his lackeys to play identity politics by defining him and making him "scary". 

It's why some folks thought Cruz did well in the first debate.  Not because he was astute at defining policy points and explaining why his vision was better for Texans.  He did almost none of this and was awkward when he tried.  He did a good job of attacking Beto and branding him for some of those who weren't as familiar with Beto as folks on this board.  It's not over and this pop may be very temporary but I still think Beto needs to be more pointed in defining himself and defining why Ted Cruz is failing Texas.  You can't just assume most folks understand this..... I think you can be critical about your opponent without going or being "negative".

Perhaps many of us are wrong and Cruz will win by 10 but like some of you I find that hard to believe right now.  I’m also skeptical that it’s only an internal poll saying that.   One big unknown is whether Beto supporters will actively convince others to vote.  Or at least how many will do so.   

Beto should be spending those millions getting people in the valley registered right now.  And then spend more driving them to the polls next month.  Same in the heavy Dem congressional districts in the cities.  They will normally have low turnout in the midterms. 

But we always knew Cruz was going to do nothing but play identity politics and play to the lowest common denominator. And deploy Russian bots. I think the answer is more pointed campaigning and ads that aren’t the typical ominous music/voice over and distorted images attacks but rather going negative on Cruz on the clampdown and true to form tip.

That is, Beto being Beto but playing more offense than defense.

Trying to predict what will happen in a month is ludicrous. A month ago, people were speculating what role Mollie Tibbetts and the Colin Kaepernick ad would play in midterms... and now I can’t tell you the last time I heard either of those names. A lot more shit is gonna go down before November. And this whole “Kavanaugh red enthusiasm” jump will not be sustained for a month, especially if he’s confirmed. (Also, color me skeptical on this. I feel like Republicans are pushing that narrative a little too hard right now, seems like something they are trying to wish into existence.)

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes, this is blowback on Kavanaugh but I also think it brings into focus an issue with Beto's strategy.  If you're starting 18 points down, it's going to be hard to make up all that ground going positive the entire time.  Maybe he can pull it off, but IMO, someone needs to be pounding the message about Cruz's deficiencies as a Senator and man....

No actual release of this poll? That means you don’t trust your methodology enough to let people see it. 

38 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
57 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My wife registered to vote for the first time ever specifically to vote out the Rs  

My wife did the same thing. Although I guess she technically registered for the first time because she just turned 18, but same idea. 

• Haha 1

The cynic in me says that even if Beto comes up short he still is drawing a shit ton of attention from the opposition. The fact that it's necessary to pump dollars in the race is a plus. It was always a longshot. I don't think Beto went into this thinking he was going to ride a wave of discontent into office. I would say he's done everything a candidate can do in Texas to get his name and ideas before the public. He's engaged and involved. 

That still might not be enough. Is it going to break the hearts and shutter the minds of the volunteers? I don't know. He's made a helluva effort. Is he fighting so someone else gets a gig in another state or he wins? I don't think he thinks about it. I think he wants to fucking win and is doing what he can within the parameters he set. I don't know if he would stop a negative campaign but I doubt he would go that route himself. That's not his style.

Mostly riffing. Going to send him some more dollars. 

In it to win it.