Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

-Beto polling 56-61% with Hispanics. He's got to get this number to 2/3rds.

-58% of Hispanics in the state have not been contacted personally by a political campaign. 

This is the only thing that should matter to Beto for the next few weeks. I've been saying this for months. Spend half that war chest on latino outreach.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-ads/black-lynching-ad-illustrates-race-overtones-anger-in-u-s-campaign-ads-idUSKCN1MT2CL

• Like 1

You and others have been saying it for months and have wrong for months. Beto does not win by wasting time trying to get Latinos to vote who never vote, and when the do, don't vote reliably Democratic.

This is a midterm. Beto can win if he gets 3 million Hillary voters to come out. They are a much easier group to get out to vote. Adding some new young progressives to the mix only helps. He does a lot of speeches on campus for a reason as current students are more reliably Democratic when they vote than Latinos as a whole.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

What's scary is Karleen Bryan's Facebook profile shows a picture of her in an office with a plaque from the Texas Workforce Commission that says she has successfully completed a  class in "Critical thinking and problem solving." 

I’ve never been but I can’t imagine that the workforce commission classes are difficult other than showing up.  Aren’t they just trying to give you a few skills to hopefully find a job so you don’t continue collecting unemployment?    

44 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

He can also still turn voters like me. I've never voted in a midterm before. I'm not particularly young at 39. I'm not a liberal or progressive. I'm not super conservative either. I dont agree with some of the main positions of the Democratic party. 

I don't put signs in my yard or a sticker on my car. I'm generally pessimistic about all politicians in general and have little hope any of them aren't slaves to lobbies. 

All that said, I'll be voting for Beto. 

It sounds like you’ve already been turned out. 

• Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, bolverk said:

Big city ones? Nah. But if you've ever spent time with the "high society" of a smaller city like Longview, the good old boys (and girls) are usually pretty tight with folks on the newspaper editorial board. They're typically included within the local power structure and also act as movers and shakers to swing support for local initiatives.

I highly doubt it'd swing a conservative town like Longview into the blue column, but it might make a few people pause for a moment before voting for Cruz.

The News-Journal endorsed Obama and John Kerry, just as two examples. I don’t find this particularly surprising.

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

You and others have been saying it for months and have wrong for months. Beto does not win by wasting time trying to get Latinos to vote who never vote, and when the do, don't vote reliably Democratic.

This is a midterm. Beto can win if he gets 3 million Hillary voters to come out. They are a much easier group to get out to vote. Adding some new young progressives to the mix only helps. He does a lot of speeches on campus for a reason as current students are more reliably Democratic when they vote than Latinos as a whole.

Wrong. He won't win with just Hillary voters and college kids. You do realize republicans who have felt no need to vote in past midterms are going to show up too now that there's a threat of a L and Dear Leader told them to right?

I know Hispanics can be a fickle group but if it's true that 58% have not been contacted by a campaign yet then that's where I would target my efforts. Austin and the hipster parts of the metroplex are locked up.

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

Not sure about most, but it's certainly not simple math.  It's a diverse category, maybe more so in Texas than in some other places.

That's a polite way of saying it. 

There is a pecking order of nations. 

Guatemalans are not the same as Mexicans are not the same as Hondurans. They are not monolithic. 

And it's kinda sad. The same blind spot that drives poor white crackers to vote against themselves is present in parts of the Latino population. 

That, and plenty of hispanics who are not even remotely immigrants.  Poor hispanics, blue collar hispanics, middle class hispanics, upper middle class hispanics, rich hispanics.  Oil money hispanics, ranching hispanics.  Dudes named Juan who don't speak a lick of spanish but know the fuck out of SQL.  Dudes named Juan who wash dishes.  Etc etc.  Diverse in terms of country of origin (where applicable) and food/custom/etc but also in how they fit in and relate across all of the other socio demographic categories in a state which has been red for decades.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Not sure about most, but it's certainly not simple math.  It's a diverse category, maybe more so in Texas than in some other places.

The state-to-state variance of Hispanics politically is particularly striking. There's California, where they're out for blood against the Rs, who have fucked with them once too many. Then there are the Cubans in Florida, hypocritically staunchly anti-immigration. Then there's Texas. 

Beto GOTV as of midday Saturday: 392,000+ doors knocked on statewide since last weekend . That's cool, but only 9% of their goal of 4.46 million knocks by election day. A lofty goal, but not impossible.

Fort bend HQ has cell phones to give to block walkers if they don't have their own. Chargers as well.

Bottom line: Beto doesn't need your money anymore. He needs your time.

GOTV map: https://win.betofortexas.com

Edited by berlinerbaer
Proper URL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Wrong. He won't win with just Hillary voters and college kids. You do realize republicans who have felt no need to vote in past midterms are going to show up too now that there's a threat of a L and Dear Leader told them to right?

I know Hispanics can be a fickle group but if it's true that 58% have not been contacted by a campaign yet then that's where I would target my efforts. Austin and the hipster parts of the metroplex are locked up.

You must have failed arithmetic. Almost 3.9 million Texans voted for Hillary and the expected turnout for this midterm is between 5.5 and 6 million.

Another 70,000 voted for the green party, so that is another readily identifiable source of Beto voters.

It is easiest to get a list of these voters and call, text or knock to GOTV. If 3 million vote, Beto wins.

DFW ratings for Beto's CNN Town Hall (via UncleBarky )

CNN’s 6 to 7 p.m. town hall meeting with Texas Democratic Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke (Republican incumbent Ted Cruz declined) drew 40,067 total viewers to make it the network’s most-watched program of the day. 

Edited by RPM

11 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

He can also still turn voters like me. I've never voted in a midterm before. I'm not particularly young at 39. I'm not a liberal or progressive. I'm not super conservative either. I dont agree with some of the main positions of the Democratic party. 

I don't put signs in my yard or a sticker on my car. I'm generally pessimistic about all politicians in general and have little hope any of them aren't slaves to lobbies. 

All that said, I'll be voting for Beto. 

I'm 42 and I've attended one political rally my entire life. It was on Monday for Beto.

• Like 2

It seems like the momentum's shifted back in Beto's favor with the fundraising announcement, debate, Cnn townhall and start of an historic GOTV push. Then we have the circus in town on Monday, which I think carries some risks for Cruz, in addition to rallying a certain moron base. It will be interesting to see the next round of polling.

2 hours ago, horncyclist said:

It seems like the momentum's shifted back in Beto's favor with the fundraising announcement, debate, Cnn townhall and start of an historic GOTV push. Then we have the circus in town on Monday, which I think carries some risks for Cruz, in addition to rallying a certain moron base. It will be interesting to see the next round of polling.

Trump is still jot and bothered by illegals. It’s Texas, a border state. He will say something to offend Hispanics. 

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump is still jot and bothered by illegals. It’s Texas, a border state. He will say something to offend Hispanics. 

You'd be surprised at the amount of Hispanics agree with Trump with regard to illegal immigration.  I know this has been discussed ad nauseum. 

12 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

That's a polite way of saying it. 

There is a pecking order of nations. 

Guatemalans are not the same as Mexicans are not the same as Hondurans. They are not monolithic. 

And it's kinda sad. The same blind spot that drives poor white crackers to vote against themselves is present in parts of the Latino population. 

If they'd fall in line they'd be so much easier to control and the job would be much easier.  

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

You'd be surprised at the amount of Hispanics agree with Trump with regard to illegal immigration.  I know this has been discussed ad nauseum. 

Absolutely everyone knows this.  It’s really amazing when some illegal immigrants agree with him up to the point where they are deported.  

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Nope, not surprised at all.  Have some in-laws who used to be fans of Trump.  They stopped posting pro-Trump stuff a while back though.  

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

So Trump, Trump Jr, Sean Hannity, Ricky Perry, and now a Cornyn are taking time out to campaign for Cruz.   That’s in addition to the outside PAC money that would normally be spent elsewhere.

Cruz isn’t calling those folks, and they aren’t accepting, unless his internal polling is mighty close. 

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Mexican Mexicans aren't even the same. You got sing-song ranchero Mexicans up in Pancho Villa land, you got Regio Monterrey Mexicans who make natural Romney Republicans, you got your Tapatio in Guadalajara, your Jarocho in Veracruz who stepped right out of a 1930s movie about dockworkers, you got your Chilango Mexico City crypto-commie Buddy-Holly-glasses-wearing UNAM profesora, you got Yucatecos who are "Mexican" the same way the IRA love Queen Elizabeth, you got throwback almost Mussolini dudes marching down the street a bock away from the Workers' Party, (and since it's Mexico the graphic design is simultaneously retro and stunning), you got Yaquis don't know the Otomis don't know the Nahuatl speakers who amongst themselves have a bunch of dialects that theirs is right and all the others suck, you got Pocho-wannabees staring at their phones and saying weird English stuff like "Thanks God!" or "I must to go!", you got your Frenchies and Spaniards and Lebanese Arabs (called Turcos for clarity) and every nation of East Asia referred to as Chinos. You got your old-school Catholic, your atheist, your Jew, your crypto-Jew, your college kid thanking Tlaloc for rain, your Pentacostal speaking in tongues, and 3 or 4 Mormons. You got blond Mennonites selling cheese in the middle of the intersection speaking the most back-road Spanish you ever heard. The Mennonites, not the cheese.

can you get a Mexican guy to do ^that like \/this?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

can you get a Mexican guy to do ^that like \/this?

I have a Canadian buddy in Colima who is on his second Mexican wife, if we send him 100 bucks via Paypal he'll probably pay two of his students 30 bucks apiece to make the video.

That is, if he is still alive. He has been drafted by his wife's family to run a metal detector looking for Lost Gold up in the mountains of Michoacan, I think they are Purepecha, they don't like white people visiting but they let him come hunt for gold.

I'm like, "Duuuude, you really don't want to find that gold."

Siap and/or previously discussed:

Unhappy about getting texts from O’Rourke’s campaign? There’s a lawsuit for that

At least one Texan is not happy about receiving text messages about Beto O’Rourke’s run for U.S. Senate.

A class action lawsuit filed against the Beto for Texas campaign claims the organization sent text messages to Texans without obtaining their permission, violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.

The suit, filed Friday in the Northern District of Texas Court, names Collin County resident Sameer Syeed as a plaintiff on behalf of all Texans that the O’Rourke campaign sent texts to Texans without obtaining permission.

Syeed says in the suit that, starting in 2018, he received nine texts from Beto for Texas without granting the organization permission to contact him. When he called the numbers he was receiving the messages from, he says, the calls resulted in error messages or disconnected dial tones, showing the calls came from an automated phone system.

Syeed says he tried to stop the messages by texting back, but there was no response.

The Telephone Consumer Protection Act prohibits the use of automated telephone equipment to send texts or calls to a person’s cellphone without their permission except for emergency purposes.

The suit demands Beto for Texas pay at least $500 per text message to Syeed and other members of the class action suit.

In response to the lawsuit, Chris Evans, communications director of Beto for Texas, said the campaign’s program is fully legal.

“Our grassroots volunteer program with thousands of Texans canvassing, phone banking, texting, and organizing is the largest this state has seen. It is fully compliant with the law,” he said.

Syeed and his attorney, Shawn Jaffer, were not immediately available for comment Friday night.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man, my parents loved that damned Mennonite cheese. We always had to bring some back.

A Mexican asked if I was Mexican because I look and act kind of like a soft backslid sort of Mennonite, and my Spanish sounded like maybe I spoke something more Germanic at home.

Siap and/or previously discussed:
Unhappy about getting texts from O’Rourke’s campaign? There’s a lawsuit for that
At least one Texan is not happy about receiving text messages about Beto O’Rourke’s run for U.S. Senate.
A class action lawsuit filed against the Beto for Texas campaign claims the organization sent text messages to Texans without obtaining their permission, violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
The suit, filed Friday in the Northern District of Texas Court, names Collin County resident Sameer Syeed as a plaintiff on behalf of all Texans that the O’Rourke campaign sent texts to Texans without obtaining permission.
Syeed says in the suit that, starting in 2018, he received nine texts from Beto for Texas without granting the organization permission to contact him. When he called the numbers he was receiving the messages from, he says, the calls resulted in error messages or disconnected dial tones, showing the calls came from an automated phone system.
Syeed says he tried to stop the messages by texting back, but there was no response.
The Telephone Consumer Protection Act prohibits the use of automated telephone equipment to send texts or calls to a person’s cellphone without their permission except for emergency purposes.
The suit demands Beto for Texas pay at least $500 per text message to Syeed and other members of the class action suit.
In response to the lawsuit, Chris Evans, communications director of Beto for Texas, said the campaign’s program is fully legal.
“Our grassroots volunteer program with thousands of Texans canvassing, phone banking, texting, and organizing is the largest this state has seen. It is fully compliant with the law,” he said.
Syeed and his attorney, Shawn Jaffer, were not immediately available for comment Friday night.
Haha, what a pantywaist. Just block the number, pussy

I used to live in lakewood a few moons ago, and even though it was pretty progressive I think over the past decade it’s gone full blue. Drove through it this pst weekend and saw nothing but Beto signs.

also for those who don’t believe there are two America’s who live without knowledge of one another, go to the Texas State Fair on a weekend and not for TX/OU. Went for a free concert and decided to do a couple of rides and such, wow. Such traumitization. Maybe that’s another thread though.