Texas OU set for 11am

mdmost

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The UT/OU game was last played in Norman in 1922, and last in Austin in 1923. For the centennials of those two years, they need to move the game to the campuses, to resume in Dallas in 2024. The centennial of the game in the Cotton Bowl during the state fair is 2032. Make that a night game in Dallas.

UT/OU is the most intense rivalry in all of college sports. So much, that it has been bottled up with an 11am kickoff for decades. Teh early start was for security reasons which we can all understand.

2023 is going to be a huge year for college football and for UT. The GOR expires. The frenzy over realignment is going to be rampant. Showcase the two biggest players in the upcomeing realignment in a once-in-a-lifetime environment that even the grandkids of the current fans will never experience.

Take the cork out of the bottle and let UT/OU be showcased in three epic settings.

I actually really like this idea. Tear down/begin renovations on the Cotton Bowl the day after Texas beats OU in 2021 and build hard and fast to complete 3 years in 2024. From then on we hold it in the Cotton Bowl until the 200th anniversary where we'll do renovations again.

• Like 1

What is the ideal time to get there for the game? Best places to park?
It's 1:33pm and OU still sucks
Don't drive, uber/lyft or dart. Way easier and cheaper. Time depends on your taste. Some get there real early. We usually get there around 930 for an 11am kick, pound some beers before, then do the fair afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not really and even if it was the Fair seems to have no problem staying open until well past dark.

Everybody says this all the time. Yet living in DFW most of my life I’m pretty sure the local media isn’t regularly reporting carnage and bloodshed befalling night time fair goers for 24 days each year.

Hell some SoCal hippie got his ass beat last weekend by a dad on the West side of DKR.

Yea I never understand the statements about how dangerous the fair is. Nothing ever really happens. I go to the state fair classic as well and it's just a bunch of fun. I've never had issues unless it was just idiots inside the fair

29 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I actually really like this idea. Tear down/begin renovations on the Cotton Bowl the day after Texas beats OU in 2021 and build hard and fast to complete 3 years in 2024. From then on we hold it in the Cotton Bowl until the 200th anniversary where we'll do renovations again.

Why the living fuck would you want to tear down one of the few truly great football stadiums we have left in this country? 

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Or leave it the fuck alone since there's nothing wrong with the Cotton Bowl. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Or leave it the fuck alone since there's nothing wrong with the Cotton Bowl. 

jfc, no kidding. 

The most recent round of renovations that took the capacity up to ~92K, bowled the endzone upper decks, widened the concourses, and added new entrance/egress points, has been very good.  There are still a few problems, but the situation now is totally workable, and about a million times better than it was before that last reno.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7945579

• Like 2

Actually the Dallas politicians are the ones putting the band aids on this thing after everything went to JerryWorld. They've put a decent amount of money into that stadium for essentially one big game, 1 lower tier game, 1 no one gives a shit about game, and an afterthought late December bowl game. And before someone hits back about JerryWorld, the last thing in this world I would've wanted is a shrine to how college football used to be torn down for that shitfest cavern in Arlington going in at Fair Park. Texas OU should never set foot in a stadium like JerryWorld unless it's a rematch in the ridiculous Big 12 CCG. 

• Like 4

Actually the Dallas politicians are the ones putting the band aids on this thing after everything went to JerryWorld. They've put a decent amount of money into that stadium for essentially one big game, 1 lower tier game, 1 no one gives a shit about game, and an afterthought late December bowl game. And before someone hits back about JerryWorld, the last thing in this world I would've wanted is a shrine to how college football used to be torn down for that shitfest cavern in Arlington going in at Fair Park. Texas OU should never set foot in a stadium like JerryWorld unless it's a rematch in the ridiculous Big 12 CCG. 
There should be a clause in the B12 rules that says CCG is at the cotton bowl if it's Texas-OU. No fair, no problem.

10 minutes ago, RPM said:

You know, the people that own and control the stadium that just might be looking to make a buck or two.

Thanks. My point is that I'm not sure what the characterization of "Dallas politicians" is. If you're talking about the people running the city then I don't think they're any dumber than any other city council. 

39 minutes ago, mdmost said:

False. Jerryworld would make the game 100X better than the Fair, and you know it. Six Flags is right next door with better rides. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

This is such bullshit. Ohio State - Michigan almost always kicks at 11am.

Quit fucking whining. If you haven't gotten used to 11am or noon kickoffs by now, that's on you. I'll be up at 6am and I'll have a bloody mary in my hand before 7am. It's Texas/OU. They could play at 4am in a parking lot and I'd be ready.

Step your game up.

Exactly.  

I’m 39.  Not even a man yet...still I’ll be up the entire night and raging at the Cotton Bowl too.  Let’s not get into what fuels me...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Thanks. My point is that I'm not sure what the characterization of "Dallas politicians" is. If you're talking about the people running the city then I don't think they're any dumber than any other city council. 

Do not underestimate the stupidity of Dallas City Council / County Commissioners. They will burn you every time.

Is the online ordering for the coupons the same this year as last?  There is only a pick-up option now vs the Fedex/UPS option that has been there in the past.  Anyone buy their tickets online and pick them up game day in past years?  I assume it's the same long lines for those buying the coupons at the Fair.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

You know, the people that own and control the stadium that just might be looking to make a buck or two.

If the Dallas City Council tells Del Conte they won't allow him to move the 2022 and 2023 games away from the Cotton Bowl to a home-and-home, coming back in 2024 (assuming he wants to), bet money the Cotton Bowl will never host another UT/OU game after 2025.

With the GOR expiring in 2023, showcasing both UT and OU football at that time will mean incredible money to both schools, and probably to a number of other schools. 11am kickoff at the Cotton Bowl isn't showcasing UT or OU football. It is the same old same old. Celebrating the history of the rivalry needs to happen somehow.

• Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

jfc, no kidding. 

The most recent round of renovations that took the capacity up to ~92K, bowled the endzone upper decks, widened the concourses, and added new entrance/egress points, has been very good.  There are still a few problems, but the situation now is totally workable, and about a million times better than it was before that last reno.

God just thinking about those bottlenecks in the concourses before kickoff with everyone squeezed together and taking 45 minutes to get to your seat...makes me ragey 

33 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

God just thinking about those bottlenecks in the concourses before kickoff with everyone squeezed together and taking 45 minutes to get to your seat...makes me ragey 

24 minutes ago, bluto said:

ya the old concourses got VERY sketchy at times, panic inducing

I've got some mild claustrophobia issues.  Those concourses are where I first discovered this back in the 90s.  I used to call it "The Press of Humanity" or "The Press of Death."

If the Dallas City Council tells Del Conte they won't allow him to move the 2022 and 2023 games away from the Cotton Bowl to a home-and-home, coming back in 2024 (assuming he wants to), bet money the Cotton Bowl will never host another UT/OU game after 2025.
With the GOR expiring in 2023, showcasing both UT and OU football at that time will mean incredible money to both schools, and probably to a number of other schools. 11am kickoff at the Cotton Bowl isn't showcasing UT or OU football. It is the same old same old. Celebrating the history of the rivalry needs to happen somehow.
c3d77f375c60a93b224732b56ded4e11.gif

• Like 1

Yeah there is something great about being parked and cracking your first beer before the sun comes up.

This year I will be leaving home at 6am to make it to parking lot at 7am when it opens.  Drink beer until 10.  Head into stadium (with flask).  After game heading straight to Love Field to catch a flight to Vegas for the McGregor fight, then out to a party afterwards.  Good chance I'll be dead by Sunday.

Or should I say your liver....
97ab6a0bede9d0921df71fc9cdaa3dee.jpg
  • Like 1