The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

You know why I both love and hate the movie Bob Roberts? Because it was spot fucking on way back in ‘91 and it totally predicted this shitshow we got going on now. I love it for being great. I hate it for being so right.

Like Spinal Tap the first time I saw it I didn’t actually realize that it was an indictment of the Republican Party because I was young and stupid. I think the first time I watched it I thought hey this Bob Roberts guy is pretty cool!

In fairness to me the songs he sings are pretty damn good and catchy. Just like they are meant to be. 

Watch it now. It’s pretty much a blueprint of what eventually became the Republican Party of trump. Almost 30 years later it still resonates today.

That video is dumb because, at the end, it's prescription is that journalists need to #DoBetter.
And it's also dumb because it pretends that norms themselves are important when that's not how norms work.

Why is it dumb to want the media to do better?

I seem to recall you sky screaming with the rest of us over the both sides bullshittery and the media covering the radical extremists in the GOP as normal in some old fashioned attempt to appear unbiased.

And please, tell the class how norms work and thus don’t matter.

You’re a very smart person but your constant above it all contrarian sniping is very tiresome. You just swoop in and declare something dumb and decree none of us know how anything works and don’t contribute.

Yeah, maybe that video is oversimplified but remember - think of the dumbest person you know; half of America is dumber than THAT.

And for those of us in places like Alabama and Texas, I feel safe in saying that half might be on the low side.

Nothing wrong with trying to explain important stuff in a simple way even if you lose some esoteric nuances.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You know why I both love and hate the movie Bob Roberts? Because it was spot fucking on way back in ‘91 and it totally predicted this shitshow we got going on now. I love it for being great. I hate it for being so right.

Like Spinal Tap the first time I saw it I didn’t actually realize that it was an indictment of the Republican Party because I was young and stupid. I think the first time I watched it I thought hey this Bob Roberts guy is pretty cool!

In fairness to me the songs he sings are pretty damn good and catchy. Just like they are meant to be. 

Watch it now. It’s pretty much a blueprint of what eventually became the Republican Party of trump. Almost 30 years later it still resonates today.

I must have missed the political undertones in Spinal Tap also.  Was stonehenge a representation of them crushing the little man?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I must have missed the political undertones in Spinal Tap also.  Was stonehenge a representation of them crushing the little man?

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or, so I've read.

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Why is it dumb to want the media to do better?

The media is way it is because of the corporate structure of media. It's like wanting a puddle to change its shape by telling it to change its shape instead of saying, "hey, we need to fix the pothole".

The media has no legal obligation to serve truth and democracy. The Fairness Doctrine has been annihilated and deregulation has allowed monopolization and politicization of everything from local news to national media. This isn't about media figures; it's about corporatism, and the corporations do not give a single shit about being shamed into #DoBetter.

Only regulation and market forces will matter.

And please, tell the class how norms work and thus don’t matter.

Norms are products of habit and practice, they are not relevant to larger overall goods.

For instance, it is a norm that we have 9 SC justices. Anyone who suggests we should have fewer or more is shouted at by the center for being insane, as if having 9 is some immutable law of governance when the reality is that it has simply been that way for a long time.

Norms like filibuster rules are simply matters of habit and tradition. Breaking norms is only a bad thing if the new way is worse than the old way in how it impacts real life people.

15 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I saw her on Monday, ‘twas my lucky bun day
You know what I mean.

Wang dang, what a sweet poontang
A-shakin' my thang as a rang-a-dang-dang in the bell
Ooh, baby
She's so sweet when she yanks on my meat
Down on the street you know she can't be beat

Oh, wait ... that's uber Trump fan Ted Nugent. 

Could be its own thread, but just leaving this here. Surprise, actual hard research on austerity measures/welfare reform doesn't lead to the supposed desired outcomes that the GOP keeps force-feeding (intentionally lying) to us.

edit: Here's a link to the paper https://www.nber.org/papers/w25527.pdf

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/local/california/la-na-pol-mccarthy-contracts-20181014-story.html%3foutputType=amp

A company owned by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s in-laws won more than $7 million in no-bid and other federal contracts at U.S. military installations and other government properties in California based on a dubious claim of Native American identity by McCarthy’s brother-in-law, a Times investigation has found.

The prime contracts, awarded through a federal program designed to help disadvantaged minorities, were mostly for construction projects at the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake in McCarthy’s Bakersfield-based district, and the Naval Air Station Lemoore in nearby Kings County.

Vortex Construction, whose principal owner is William Wages, the brother of McCarthy’s wife, Judy, received a total of $7.6 million in no-bid and other prime federal contracts since 2000, The Times found.

The Bakersfield company is co-owned by McCarthy’s mother-in-law and employs his father-in-law and sister-in-law, Wages said. McCarthy’s wife was a partner in Vortex in the early 1990s.

Vortex faced no competitive bids for most of the contracts because the Small Business Administration accepted Wages’ claim in 1998 that he is a Cherokee Indian. Under the SBA program, his company became eligible for federal contracts set aside for economically and socially disadvantaged members of minority groups, a boon to its business.

Wages says he is one-eighth Cherokee. An examination of government and tribal records by The Times and a leading Cherokee genealogist casts doubt on that claim, however. He is a member of a group called the Northern Cherokee Nation, which has no federal or state recognition as a legitimate tribe. It is considered a fraud by leaders of tribes that have federal recognition.

Vortex was awarded more than $4 million in minority set-aside contracts for projects at China Lake. McCarthy has been a staunch advocate in Congress for funding and staffing for China Lake, the Navy’s largest property at more than 1.1 million acres, and spearheaded successful efforts to expand its borders.

McCarthy is no ordinary member of Congress, but one of the most powerful elected officials in California and on the national stage. The contracts obtained by Wages’ company have prompted questions about whether he improperly benefited from being McCarthy’s brother-in-law.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

The Parkland parents who Matt Gaetz shit on aren’t going away quietly.

They’ve already raised over $34,000 for whoever runs against him in 2020.

He’s such a fucking putz and he fucked with the wrong people.

https://www.crowdpac.com/campaigns/391627/make-matt-gaetz-pay-for-silencing-parkland-parents-donate-to-his-opponent

14 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Ahh yes the all-inclusive Republican party

It's obviously not going to pass for many of the reasons outlined in the article, but the twisted jurisdictional logic of its sponsors is really telling from a "state's rights" standpoint. It's just another example of conservatives trying to limit the broader human and civil rights of citizens under this guise and should raise the question of who the actual "statists" really are.

40 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Republican implies he would drown his young son/daughter if later in life either tells him they are gay. Mind you, this is the same man who compared gay people to the KKK and also said that they are terrorists:

He's discussed earlier in the thread, but he's also the same man who went blind from getting into a physical altercation at thirty-fucking-two years old.  

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult