The movie you just watched

F250

The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2021)

Watched this dutifully, like I watch most biopics. I guess it was fine.

88387553.cms

Biopics to me generally run like bad documentaries - I have a really hard time enjoying them - especially music ones.   In any case, made me think that the last one I liked was probably Love and Mercy.

Animal Kingdom.

Why is this movie considered good? It’s a movie about a bank robbers and they never rob a bank. The actor that plays Jay is maybe the shittiest lead I’ve ever seen. He plays Jay like he’s on the spectrum, and it is a beating for 2 hours. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Spencer (2021)

What a beating.  The "discordant jazz" background did it's job, it its job was to make the viewer miserable.

Stewart is interesting. She can look like quite beautiful in an instant and like a 10 year old boy the next.  It's a bit discombobulating unless you are an ancient Greek warrior.

sub-buzz-491-1636037032-5.jpg?downsize=7

I feel like I need to go watch "The Favourite" so I can watch some relatively pleasant, happy royals.

On 2/25/2022 at 7:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Animal Kingdom.

Why is this movie considered good? It’s a movie about a bank robbers and they never rob a bank. The actor that plays Jay is maybe the shittiest lead I’ve ever seen. He plays Jay like he’s on the spectrum, and it is a beating for 2 hours. 

Never seen the movie but the show based on it was pretty good for a few seasons.  Very unbelievable, but entertaining none the less.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Naked City (1948)

Dated, goofy, silly, but with the great Barry Fitzgerald and some really cool pictures of old New York. 

940__the_naked_city_01_blu-ray__.jpg

I think these two greasy wrestling guys were an inspiration for the hairy basketball shirts/skins game in Along Came Polly.

MV5BZDg4ZTcwMzUtMzQyYy00MDk0LTg5ZTQtYzgw

Eh, don't get to comfortable there, guys.

940__the_naked_city_05_blu-ray__.jpg

Belfast (2021)

Really enjoyed this movie and made me think.  Things that were good but distracting:

The mom was just too fucking beautiful.

790e386d55b0fd51cf886c944eb75837b913afce

I know I'm a grouch because even though I love Van Morrison, I thought the soundtrack was just lazy.  I kind of thought this would be great if you have some Them and some very early Van Morrison during the main part of the film.  I don't begrudge the opening instrumental and certainly not the final (1979) closing credit song which was perfect, but they just threw Van Morrison in there willy nilly.  They really could have used it more intelligently.  It looks like Van did the music so maybe there were licensing issues, or maybe he just had too much leeway.  In the end I thought it was distracting and it kind of pissed me off.     

Things that were great:

Ciaran Hinds.  He's always good and he's always got that edge but he's so damn perfect in this.

everybody-knows-ya-pop.gif

This movie compares in a weird way to Roma.  It's 100 times more accessible, but I thought Roma did a much better job of throwing you deep into another world that was weird but also felt really true.  This movie was a simple and pretty affair, and a nice love letter and well done, but it doesn't seem to rise much above a great pretty love letter.

You young kids, be mindful of things.  Life goes by fast.  I used to relate to the kids in movies.  And then when I should have been related to parents my life was going by so quickly that I wasn't able to think about a damn thing.  Now I watch a movie like this and I kind of relate to the grandparents.  My takeaway is that I've decided I want my new (and first) grandson to call me "Pop".

Best Picture Rankings - boy I have some catching up to do:

1)Belfast

CODA

2)Don't Look Up

Drive My Car

Dune

King Richard

Licorice Pizza

Nightmare Alley

3)The Power of the Dog

West Side Story

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Belfast (2021)

Really enjoyed this movie and made me think.  Things that were good but distracting:

The mom was just too fucking beautiful.

790e386d55b0fd51cf886c944eb75837b913afce

I know I'm a grouch because even though I love Van Morrison, I thought the soundtrack was just lazy.  I kind of thought this would be great if you have some Them and some very early Van Morrison during the main part of the film.  I don't begrudge the opening instrumental and certainly not the final (1979) closing credit song which was perfect, but they just threw Van Morrison in there willy nilly.  They really could have used it more intelligently.  It looks like Van did the music so maybe there were licensing issues, or maybe he just had too much leeway.  In the end I thought it was distracting and it kind of pissed me off.     

Things that were great:

Ciaran Hinds.  He's always good and he's always got that edge but he's so damn perfect in this.

everybody-knows-ya-pop.gif

This movie compares in a weird way to Roma.  It's 100 times more accessible, but I thought Roma did a much better job of throwing you deep into another world that was weird but also felt really true.  This movie was a simple and pretty affair, and a nice love letter and well done, but it doesn't seem to rise much above a great pretty love letter.

You young kids, be mindful of things.  Life goes by fast.  I used to relate to the kids in movies.  And then when I should have been related to parents my life was going by so quickly that I wasn't able to think about a damn thing.  Now I watch a movie like this and I kind of relate to the grandparents.  My takeaway is that I've decided I want my new (and first) grandson to call me "Pop".

Best Picture Rankings - boy I have some catching up to do:

1)Belfast

CODA

2)Don't Look Up

Drive My Car

Dune

King Richard

Licorice Pizza

Nightmare Alley

3)The Power of the Dog

West Side Story

Balfe is so fucking hot it breaks my mind, and she can act.  She low key steals almost every scene she is in Ford vs. Ferrari, despite Damon and Bale trying to one up each other in the overacting department. 

Balfe is so fucking hot it breaks my mind, and she can act.  She low key steals almost every scene she is in Ford vs. Ferrari, despite Damon and Bale trying to one up each other in the overacting department. 

Perfectly put. She has an ethereal beauty that makes it hard to see anything else, but then you realize she’s got you roped into the story. She’s breathtaking.

The Worst Person in the World

I thought it was really good.  Both leads were great but especially Renate Reinsve.  She's beautiful and jumps off the screen but also really pulls you into the movie.  There were also several laugh out loud moments for me.  And then the last act is really heart breaking.  This is the first Joachim Trier I've seen and now I want to go back and watch his other stuff, especially the other Oslo movies.

The-Worst-Person-in-the-World-Oslo-Pictu

On 2/27/2022 at 6:46 PM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

The Naked City (1948)

Dated, goofy, silly, but with the great Barry Fitzgerald and some really cool pictures of old New York. 

940__the_naked_city_01_blu-ray__.jpg

I think these two greasy wrestling guys were an inspiration for the hairy basketball shirts/skins game in Along Came Polly.

MV5BZDg4ZTcwMzUtMzQyYy00MDk0LTg5ZTQtYzgw

Eh, don't get to comfortable there, guys.

940__the_naked_city_05_blu-ray__.jpg

The TV series was pretty good too. You can find it on several streaming sites.

9 hours ago, WBT said:

The Worst Person in the World

I thought it was really good.  Both leads were great but especially Renate Reinsve.  She's beautiful and jumps off the screen but also really pulls you into the movie.  There were also several laugh out loud moments for me.  And then the last act is really heart breaking.  This is the first Joachim Trier I've seen and now I want to go back and watch his other stuff, especially the other Oslo movies.

The-Worst-Person-in-the-World-Oslo-Pictu

Agree, excellent movie. 

On 2/23/2022 at 11:16 AM, Mez2 said:

I saw "Martyrs" last night - holy shit. One of the more fucked up movies I've seen in a while, french foreign film - similar style to High Tension if you guys have seen that one. 

I watch a lot of fucked up disturbing movies, but Martyrs hit me worse than anything I've seen, even worse than A Serbian Film

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:01 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I haven't seen that one in quite awhile, but after reading this page this morning I got to thinking about several movies I've seen with 'midnight' in the title. Off topic and off the top of my head--

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Midnight Run

Midnight in Paris

The Midnight Sky

Of those above, Midnight Run is probably my favorite. Charles Grodin, Robert DeNiro just fabulous back and forth dialogue.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:33 AM, Underdog said:

Midnight Express

On 2/23/2022 at 12:45 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The Other Side of Midnight

Midnight Crossing

Midnight Ride

Midnight in Paris

The Midnight Meat Train

Chimes at Midnight

Midnight Special (2016) - IMDb

• Like 1

Movie dump of movies watched since ~November

Titane- 3/10

The Unforgivable- 6/10

Last Night in Soho- 5/10

Beast- 7/10

Knife + Heart- 7.5/10

Laura- 10/10

Power of the Dog- 6.5/10

Thirst- 4/10

Snowtown- 7/10

The Last Duel- 7/10

Brightburn- 7/10

Nightmare Alley- 6/10

Death on the Nile (1978)- 7/10

Fallen Angels- 8.5/10

Light Sleeper- 6.5/10

Ghost Dog- 9/10

Come and See- 10/10

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Midnight Special (2016) - IMDb

This movie is so fucking money.  Joel Edgerton and Michael Shannon in the same film.  It’s miracle the film didn’t cause a black hole given how heavy both those actors can be. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Fud said:

I watch a lot of fucked up disturbing movies, but Martyrs hit me worse than anything I've seen, even worse than A Serbian Film

Have you seen "Salo"?

I don't even know where to begin on that one

North by Northwest with Cary Grant, James Mason and Eva Marie Saint.  A Hitchcock classic.  I prefer movies from the 40's and 50's because of their over-the-top "yeah, that really happened" moments.  This one is right up my alley!  This one could fall under "Cold War" movies too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

North by Northwest with Cary Grant, James Mason and Eva Marie Saint.  A Hitchcock classic.  I prefer movies from the 40's and 50's because of their over-the-top "yeah, that really happened" moments.  This one is right up my alley!  This one could fall under "Cold War" movies too.

Probably my favorite Hitchcock film

This is one of my favorite movies. It's a bit odd, I know, to view it that way as enjoyable for such a horrible topic.

Of course, Tracey is spectacular but, I also think the camera work was amazing, the shadows, the scene switches, etc. I also think Judy Garland and Montgomery Clift were very, very good.

One of my favorite scenes was when Tracey was at Dietrich's apartment and she is trying to convince him that she and her husband were against Hitler and while Dietrich is talking Tracey's face and body are grinding to a halt as he tries to understand.

Lancaster was awesome, too. I always thought it was a bit funny that Werner Klemperer was in the movie, as a devout NAZI and the fellow who played Garland's husband was the same guy who played Gestapo Major Hochstetter in Hogan's Heroes. And it featured a very young William Shatner.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I only watched that for the first time a couple of years ago and loved it.  It reminded me of a good Connery Bond movie but came before any of them.  I then googled North by Northwest Bond to see if anyone else had made that comparison only to find that about half the internet had.  Oh well, I never claimed I'm always original.

6 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Anyone seen Godard's "Breathless"? I dig the beat generation and my phone now knows it and suggested this. I started, should I finish? 

Thanks

Phil Peel » Blog Archive » Filming Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless. behind the  scenes

It's one of my all time favorite movies. A masterpiece by a master. 

As far as Godard goes:

1a. Breathless

1b. Le Mepris (Contempt)

1c. Bande a part (Band of Outsiders)

4. Pierrot Le Fou

5. Vivre Sa Vie 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

As far as Godard goes:

1a. Breathless

1b. Le Mepris (Contempt)

4. Pierrot Le Fou

5. Vivre Sa Vie 

I'll add Alphaville.  Just saw Weekend. It was on TMC overnight and recorded it thru YTTV. That was a WTF movie. Cracked up at the first half and then was disturbed by the rest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogbreath said:

I'll add Alphaville.  Just saw Weekend. It was on TMC overnight and recorded it thru YTTV. That was a WTF movie. Cracked up at the first half and then was disturbed by the rest. 

Masculine Feminie also great, but was trying to limit to 5. The first time I watch Band of Outsiders, I had already seen Pulp Fiction about 100 times. When the dance scene came on in Band of Outsiders I was like

rick.jpg

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

As far as Godard goes:

1a. Breathless

1b. Le Mepris (Contempt)

4. Pierrot Le Fou

5. Vivre Sa Vie 

Goddard - he's difficult:

1) Band of Outsiders

2) Masculin Feminin

3) Breathless

Big dropoff

4) Contempt

5) Weekend

Pierrot Le Fou - have had it checked out from the library for about six months).  I've tried a number of his flicks and just can't get into them.

Loved Breathless.  Haven't seen any of the others although I need to.

Did anyone watch the biopic that Amazon put out with Kristen Stewart as Seberg?  I've been meaning to check it out.

Edited by WBT