The movie you just watched

F250

On 2/9/2022 at 7:13 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

It hasn't aged well.

On a side note, the first guy that Mick talks to, while riding to the hotel in the limo, and introduces himself to was the guy who played the leader of the Orphans from The Warriors

The LBGTQ community is not amused.

TCM with Back2Back post apocalyptic classics in Planet of the Apes and Logan’s Run last night, only watched about 1st 30 minutes of latter, mainly to absorb the luscious Jenny Agutter.  

Not sure about hasn’t aged well but Dundee is always a stop and watch for me, same goes for Dundee 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

The Untouchables. Been ages since I’d seen it, and I enjoyed the rewatch. Could have done with more of DeNiro as Capone, and I fucking love the absurdity of Sean Connery as a Chitown beat cop that just punches people in the face. 

You kids dig comic book movies.   Anyone whose actions are controlled, to some degree, by gravity, I find very credible.

On 2/12/2022 at 12:25 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Just watched Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Blonde Boogaloo.  It made me realize that all we need to solve the political crisis in this country is a smoking hot late 20’s Reese Witherspoon and more members of Congress with gay dogs like Bruce McGill

Bruce McGill is making bank. He's been in 3 movies I've watch this month. Just saw him in Blue Miracle on Netflix this morning. He is the go to jolly, yet serious, character actor in Hollywood.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Terrific movie. Although the lines about how hard it is to buy Senators or Representatives in D.C., in today's world were laughable.

Watched it as well. Had to be at least the 50th time. You can't help but love Judy Holliday and this was one of Broderick Crawford's top 3 performances.

If you liked Judy Holliday in this, check out It Should Happen to You. Sadly, she would die just a few years later from cancer. She was a treasure.

Antlers - HBO Max. Not sure what happened there but seems like it could have been a little better but not terrible. 

My 8 YO and I started a rewatch of Terminator 2 last night, somehow he doesn't remember seeing this one but damn, this movie still holds up.

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Terrific movie. Although the lines about how hard it is to buy Senators or Representatives in D.C., in today's world were laughable.

Okay, I might need your help on this, I am looking for Bill Holden movie where he is dating a different blond. I remember really liking it, but can't remember the plot or the actress - just that it was an enjoyable comedy with Bill Holden and a blond.  I'm not sure if Holden was in the military or not.  Or maybe it wasn't bill holden.  

13 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Okay, I might need your help on this, I am looking for Bill Holden movie where he is dating a different blond. I remember really liking it, but can't remember the plot or the actress - just that it was an enjoyable comedy with Bill Holden and a blond.  I'm not sure if Holden was in the military or not.  Or maybe it wasn't bill holden.  

Executive Suite? But it's a drama. But his wife was June Allyson.

22 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Executive Suite? But it's a drama. But his wife was June Allyson.

Sullivan's Travels? With Joel McCrae and the LOVELY Veronica Lake

Or was the blonde Jean Arthur? A Foreign Affair?

Edited by PittsburghTiger

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

My 8 YO and I started a rewatch of Terminator 2 last night, somehow he doesn't remember seeing this one but damn, this movie still holds up.

Best action movie there is.  CGI that's better than much of what you see today (cough) Gerard Butler films (cough).  And actual character arcs, even from an android...actor, depicting an android.  You're a liar if you didn't get choked up when he said, "I know now why you cry, but it is something I can never do."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Sullivan's Travels? With Joel McCrae and the LOVELY Veronica Lake

Or was the blonde Jean Arthur? A Foreign Affair?

Certain it's William Holden and a blond, and it was a pretty light comedy if I remember - at most maybe some bittersweet romantic entanglements.  I'll do some research and watch some trailers.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2022 at 10:36 PM, CurlyDumps said:

Got stuck "watching" (browsing surly/internet) MARRY ME with family.

The opening concert scene: J-LO is in an almost nude bodysuit, surrounded by nuns in leather, singing a song about going to church. And it's not supposed to be a joke, or funny.  A master class in unintentional humor.

I have the AMC Pass so sometimes I go to movies because I have an extra one still to see for the week. I had zero expectations of this one, but it was light-hearted and enjoyable. I like Owen Wilson as an actor. I do not really follow Jennifer Lopez, but I thought she was good in this. It is definitely a date movie.

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021).

I don't follow animation that closely, but this used what appeared to be the standard formula, but had some really nice animation.  Had some set pieces that were obviously rifs on some other action movies, and that was kind of cool. (Grandkid is turning one, so I need to keep up with this so I can chose flicks to take him to that I enjoy.)

ccc21a0b698bf2c3b893a21bc8b8bfc69ef32e3c

Around The World in 80 Days (1956) David Niven, Cantinflas. I can't tell you the impact this film had on me as a Lil' RPM. It made me want to travel and explore. It made me love David Niven. The score hit me like a sonic flood. There may not be a more beautiful theme song. Enjoying the PBS remake, but this is the Gold Standard.

Edited by RPM

On 2/13/2022 at 3:23 PM, pyrohornIII said:

Stripes.    Classic.  I appreciate Ramis more as I've aged.  Such a good foil to Murray's schtick.  Much like Chase in Caddyshack.   

It’s especially impressive when you consider that Ramis’s HOF credentials are as a writer, not an actor. It’s like Mariano Rivera, in addition to being the GOAT closer, also hit 10 pinch-hit home runs….

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2022 at 1:25 PM, RPM said:

The King's Man -  Very well done origin story and they left room for more prequels. Solid cast. Ralph Fiennes, Gemma Arterton and a slew of your favorite stars.

From what I recall it was generally reviewed as a steaming pile but you’ve persuaded me to give it a shot. I’ll be back to insult you/celebrate your genius 

16 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021).

I don't follow animation that closely, but this used what appeared to be the standard formula, but had some really nice animation.  Had some set pieces that were obviously rifs on some other action movies, and that was kind of cool. (Grandkid is turning one, so I need to keep up with this so I can chose flicks to take him to that I enjoy.)

ccc21a0b698bf2c3b893a21bc8b8bfc69ef32e3c

Haven't seen this one but man that lighting is insane. Graphics are getting so good - it almost looks too good, like it detracts from the style a bit. The camera shake too is a neat touch. Interesting look all around for a Pixar/Disney movie. 

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I just watched a movie I can’t believe that I’ve never seen.  I feel like a pinko commie bastard.  In the spirit of the Winter Olympics, just watched “Miracle”.  

‘Murica!  Bitches!

I can forgive being a Lakers fan (sort of) but what the fuck dude? 

I feel like I'm nearing rewatch territory for that one. I adore Kurt Russell in basically everything - and that's one of his best.

• Hook 'Em 2

Last Picture Show (1971)

Goddamn this movie.  I had forgotten that Randy Quaid was in it.  And that the "slow" kid was Tim Bottom's brother Sam, the surfer in Apocalyse Now.  And the great and always creeper Clu Gulager.  And how Ellen Burstyn was throwing down a vibe. And Ben Fucking Johnson - I never realized what a stud this guy was (need to find a biography of the guy.)

I grew up being forced to go to Bracketville now and again in my youth, and while Bracketville is no Archer City, some of those slamming screen doors sure were evocative of my youth -- if any of you spent time anywhere west of I35 growing up, I challenge you  to watch this flick when you are an old dude like me and not be moved.

Sam the Lion's speech  at the pond/tank is such a beautiful rif on the beauty/tragedy of life - all there in about 30 seconds.

the-last-picture-show-still-3.jpg-675x40

If she was here,
I'd probably be just as crazy now...
...as I was then in about five minutes.

Ain't that ridiculous?

No, it ain't really.                   

Being crazy about a woman like her is always the right thing to do.
Being a decrepit old bag of bones, that's what's ridiculous.

Getting old.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1