Adding to the pit bull argument

Beau Vine

15 hours ago, troph said:

Our golden doodle is awesome. They are only neurotic if you leave them home all day or if they get attacked by pit bulls. Were warned about the first and have avoided it. We were warned about the second but sadly we did not avoid it.  Wife pried the dogs jaw open to save ours. Both dog-mom and dog went to the hospital. Our pup is lucky to be alive. Pit probably enjoyed a snack later that night.

Rich hood, there’s a pit. Long story but irresponsible son of a dog loving doctor had it and doctor took it instead of it going to a shelter. Oopsies. My wife was the no bad breeds only bad owners. Could be true about that dog but she’s now firmly in the let’s not be around pits ever camp.

Damn, that is horrifying and sucks donkey balls. 

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I have a golden doodle as well. Best dogs ever.  Sorry about your encointer

I have an 8 yo GD and same.  I've had some really good dogs but Earl is the absolute best. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Damn, that is horrifying and sucks donkey balls. 

I have an 8 yo GD and same.  I've had some really good dogs but Earl is the absolute best. 

Yep.  If I’m gonna complain about anything is he counter surfs but can you blame a dog for that?   Incredibly smart breed btw

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep.  If I’m gonna complain about anything is he counter surfs but can you blame a dog for that?   Incredibly smart breed btw

Earl does the same: he got his own ham a few Thanksgivings ago.   He's a big doodle (95lbs) so it's almost impossible to move stuff on the counter out of reach.  But other than that he's the best companion I've ever had.  And that includes two fiancees and an ex-wife. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Earl does the same: he got his own ham a few Thanksgivings ago.   He's a big doodle (95lbs) so it's almost impossible to move stuff on the counter out of reach.  But other than that he's the best companion I've ever had.  And that includes two fiancees and an ex-wife. 

Jax is 25 pounds and a micro mini. So he can’t counter surf. Dad was a toy poodle, mom was a mini goldendoodle. 

really smart dog, loving, obedient, trained easily, super chill. Just a great dog. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

he “owner not the breed” is just such bullshit. We freely admit that pointers are bred to point, border collies to herd, labs to jump in water and mud, terriers to go after rodents. That they WANT to do it.  We only play this fucking game with the dog that was bred to rip other dogs to shred. 

All of this.

Not only are they bred for their aggressive temperament, they are bred for their physical ability to convert that temperament into fatal violence, in ways that chihuahuas can't.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Chihuahuas don't kill you, they make you want to kill yourself

We foster cared for a chihuahua something like 5 years ago that I swear to god we still miss. 

Edited by troph

11 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m not in favor of euthanizing all pits but I am in favor of sky-high insurance rates, HOA, muni, and similar breed bans, and mandatory neutering/spaying. Dog aggression is bred into the breed. So sorry about your doodle. 

As I’ve said before- these dogs are not endangered species or occupying some sort of vital role in the ecosystem. It’s just canis lupus familiaris that’s been bred to do something (fight and kill dogs) that we no longer need or even want.  Unless you want to dog fight, there are dozens of breeds that can occupy the exact same role in your life for a loving, strong, energetic pet. 

The “owner not the breed” is just such bullshit. We freely admit that pointers are bred to point, border collies to herd, labs to jump in water and mud, terriers to go after rodents. That they WANT to do it.  We only play this fucking game with the dog that was bred to rip other dogs to shred. 

Thank you. 

On 3/18/2024 at 10:26 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m not in favor of euthanizing all pits

Why not?

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Do they not realize that most of us also post there?

Swear to Christ pit owners have the biggest set of blinders on. Nobody wants to kill your dog. 

While I do appreciate the inexplicable irreverence as a general bit, I hope this pompous ass has not moved back from Cali to Dallas.  God forbid he’s anywhere near HP. 

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

spacer.png

Lulz. 

I think you get farther with a humane approach aimed at both safety and animal welfare. I can recognize that many of these dogs are beloved pets and they need to be neutered and treated kindly. 

And it is an animal welfare issue. Pits overwhelm the shelter system and are much more likely to be mistreated, abused, and used illegally.  Breeders are the source of the dogs.  People who like dogs should want to see these breeders put out of existence, they are the ones supplying grist for the animal abuse mill. 

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think you get farther with a humane approach aimed at both safety and animal welfare. I can recognize that many of these dogs are beloved pets and they need to be neutered and treated kindly. 

And it is an animal welfare issue. Pits overwhelm the shelter system and are much more likely to be mistreated, abused, and used illegally.  Breeders are the source of the dogs.  People who like dogs should want to see these breeders put out of existence, they are the ones supplying grist for the animal abuse mill. 

All I hear is “blah blah blah” while my only concern is my child getting her face ripped off or being killed. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

All I hear is “blah blah blah” while my only concern is my child getting her face ripped off or being killed. 

Well, relax, your kid is probably more likely to get shot in school. Get your priorities straight. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Well, relax, your kid is probably more likely to get shot in school. Get your priorities straight. 

I know, am relaxed, and have issues with that too. Pit bulls are like wild pigs. Invasive destructive creatures. You cannot expect breeders to adhere to neutering. They all need to go away. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I know, am relaxed, and have issues with that too. Pit bulls are like wild pigs. Invasive destructive creatures. You cannot expect breeders to adhere to neutering. They all need to go away. 

I’ve never eaten a pit, but wild hogs are pretty tasty.

Semantics kind of don't matter as much as the fact that we have too many aggressive, powerful dogs doing ridiculous amounts of damage. Most of these are called pit bulls, even if some people would disagree.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Do people go to breeders for a pit?  I've only seen two types of people with a pit bull.  Ignorant people who adopted from a shelter, or trash.  I guess I never really thought about were the trash are getting their pits from.

Absolutely. Dog fighting is still a thing with money involved and the serious dog fighters breed and pore over genealogies as much as any show-dog breeder looking for the perfect poodle. And there are people who don’t fight dogs but want a “tough” looking dog and there are breeders for those types of pit as well.  

Somewhat counterintuitively, the dogs bred for looks can be much more of a problem when it comes to people than the fighting strains. Those breeders just cross chunks of muscle together with no regard for temperament and health.  The fighting dogs are much more predictable.  They are ALL dog-aggressive. 

Got a Texas hound mixed with Aussie. People think he is a pit. @MissingInAction can vouch Sucre is one of the sweetest dogs out there and has no pit in him.

I would not own a Pit. Ex-wife brought one home as a pup to foster. Second day with us, at maybe 10 weeks old, tried to attack my mother's cat Little fucker got his ass beat. cat got the pups cornea. Cost me about 1500 to get it fixed. Brought it home from the vet and it went straight to attack my 90 pound german shep. Told wife, you brought it home, you take it back to the shelter.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Got a Texas hound mixed with Aussie. People think he is a pit. @MissingInAction can vouch Sucre is one of the sweetest dogs out there and has no pit in him.

I would not own a Pit. Ex-wife brought one home as a pup to foster. Second day with us, at maybe 10 weeks old, tried to attack my mother's cat Little fucker got his ass beat. cat got the pups cornea. Cost me about 1500 to get it fixed. Brought it home from the vet and it went straight to attack my 90 pound german shep. Told wife, you brought it home, you take it back to the shelter.

All Sucre cares about is fetch and playtime, and he respects Luna's boundaries. 

Ollie not so much hahaha.

My mom's cats were pretty damn cool. Mainly outdoors, where cats belong.
Just glad ole Max the GSD did not eat the stupid pit.
Sorry man, but fuck outside cats. We have a crisis level die-off of songbirds and insects at the moment- and a major domestic house cat problem.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Sorry man, but fuck outside cats. We have a crisis level die-off of songbirds and insects at the moment- and a major domestic house cat problem.

I don't have a cat. I have dogs. But mom needed someone to keep her company and that was the best option. My back yard is set up for birds. Love waking up to hearing them sing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I’ve turned into a bug protector I was shewing bugs off the tennis court the other day. My coach wanted to call me funny names. I was like dude insects are rapidly disappearing we can’t just kill them for no reason!

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Here's the problem with the "let's put all the pits down". Most people can't even identify the damn things. It's like the "every gun is an AR-15" meme. 

findtheAPBT.jpg

Visual-ID_Pit-bull.jpg

The problem with this argument is that some rando off the street wouldn’t be asked to identify which dogs to be put down are pit bulls.

5 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The problem with this argument is that some rando off the street wouldn’t be asked to identify which dogs to be put down are pit bulls.

You think some shitty city official could?

59 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ve turned into a bug protector I was shewing bugs off the tennis court the other day. My coach wanted to call me funny names. I was like dude insects are rapidly disappearing we can’t just kill them for no reason!

shooing

• Hook 'Em 1

Good on you, my redneck brother loves to comment on the occasional mosquito in my back yard when he visits.

Yeah, sure. But I have a shit ton of lightning bugs to sit and watch.
  • Hook 'Em 3