Shane for OC

cdain3

1 minute ago, SomeoneYouKnow said:

Burton's paragraphs have gotten even worse. Unless it's a formatting error.

I'm told they're bad.  In fact, I'm told they are investigating whether the degree listed on his resume is authentic so that they can begin revocation proceedings.  They're that bad.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

When Herman said that play calling was by committee, I didn't realize that included the players, coaches and last week a student assistant who was allowed to coach because beck was out.

I didn't want to reveal this here because it's so embarrassing, but I actually called the 4th and 1 sweep to Danny Young against TCU.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dad said:

I wonder if that's how it is when Beck is there. Freaking 5 guys talking into the same channel and someone just grab ass choosing one.

That's how it sounded when he described the playcalling after MD:

It was awesome. We kind of do that anyway. It’s always been that way. You get Drew (Mehringer) and Derek (Warehime). Herb (Hand) is going to say, ‘Run the power here.’ Okay, we’re going to run power. We’re kind of all in that together.

He just forgot to mention Buechele and the random Indian kid who figured out how to transmit on our frequency.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Aside from the other stuff, anyone else wonder why herman was congratulating mehringer for a successful 3rd down play call?  And on the plane back instead of a quick nice call after the play?

I mean, being a good boss means you give some positive feedback and show you were paying attention to who did the good thing on a critical play. Of course, he misidentified who actually did the good thing so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

That also exposes the complete dysfunction of our offensive play calling.  We need to hire ONE FUCKING BAD ASS this off season.

I don't think this shows "complete dysfunction" I think it shows that everyone on the sideline is engaged in the game and that good ideas can come from anywhere. 

Why isn't Shane allowed to suggest a play? He stands on the sidelines with a headset on the entire game. 

Do you think Shane doesn't know anything about football because he's younger than the other coaches? Sometimes you need someone to look at something with a different perspective. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. 

Quarterbacks are trusted to call audibles - why can't they suggest plays to run after our back has a boneheaded false start?

I mean for fuck's sake we were missing our offensive coordinator last week. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't think this shows "complete dysfunction" I think it shows that everyone on the sideline is engaged in the game and that good ideas can come from anywhere. 

Why isn't Shane allowed to suggest a play? He stands on the sidelines with a headset on the entire game. 

Do you think Shane doesn't know anything about football because he's younger than the other coaches? Sometimes you need someone to look at something with a different perspective. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. 

Quarterbacks are trusted to call audibles - why can't they suggest plays to run after our back has a boneheaded false start?

You've become my favorite Surly poster.

If Saban came out and said that in a close game Jalen Hurts brought something to the attention of the coaching staff on the sidelines and it resulted in calling a different play that went for a touchdown everyone would be slobbing Bama's knob for their chemistry and engagement on the sidelines.  

• Like 1

Uh, if what you described is what happened in this situation we would be complimenting our own chemistry and engagement on the sidelines.  But instead of what you described, the article said we just call plays based on any of the dozen guys on the headset saying something without even knowing who it is.

If the play is a good play - why does it matter who suggested it?