Updated Bowl Projections per ESPN

Mdhorn

On 11/11/2018 at 2:16 PM, Eastwood said:

I looked it up the other day and was surprised to see that the Big 10 and Big 12 have zero contractual bowl match-ups.

If it's not a NY 6 bowl, I want the Alamo for purely selfish reasons.

Same here. Have had bowl game seats on the 50 since the dome opened.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25312929/college-football-bowl-projections-week-12

PlayStation Fiesta Bowl

State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona
Jan. 1, 1 p.m. (ESPN)

Bonagura: Florida vs. Penn State
Sherman: Texas vs. LSU

Valero Alamo Bowl

Alamodome, San Antonio
Dec. 28, 9 p.m. (ESPN)

Bonagura: Utah vs. Texas
Sherman: West Virginia vs. Washington

4 minutes ago, NowThis said:

i was assured by an angry poster that the Big12 had no tie in with the Fiesta whatsoever.

Big 12 winner gets Sugar vs. SEC #2 right?

We don't have a Fiesta tie-in, lol. Not anymore anyway. Sherman predicted Oklahoma vs. Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. He has us making it to the Fiesta as an at-large selection.

...which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, now that I think about it

Edited by satyanash

11 minutes ago, NowThis said:

there's the angry poster lol! so it's not completely impossible for Texas to Fiesta. 

What are you talking about, he called Texas vs LSU in the Fiesta as a possibility on the previous page. The Big 12 champion bowl tie in is to the Sugar. The CFP semi final games this year are the Orange Bowl and the Cotton Bowl so those are out. Everything else are bowl tie ins/at large. The Rose Bowl this year is going to be the Pac 12 champ and either Michigan or Ohio State. The Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl are both at large New Year's Day bowl games that just take the best of the rest.

Edited by Texas25

I don't think we'd make a NY6 at 9-4 but we'll see where the committee ranks us on Tuesday. They are the ones that set the matchups.

If we win the B12, or if we lose the B12 title game and OU backs into the playoff, it's the Sugar. Otherwise it's the Alamo. If we lose to KU and don't make the CCG it's probably whatever is below the Alamo, unless the B12 manages two NY6 teams. Then it's still the Alamo.

Tl;dr - Most likely Alamo still. Decent possibility of Sugar. Outside shot at either another NY6 or whatever is below Alamo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, the upsets up top have tapered off...we don't make a Peach/Fiesta at 9-4 this season barring just a cavalcade of madness.  It's basically Sugar or Alamo at this point.  

Although an interesting scenario presents itself.  West Virginia knocks off OU and plays us in the Big XII title game.  And then somehow beats us again (unlikely) . WVU goes to the Sugar Bowl as rightful league champs.  OU is sitting there at 10-2, loser to us by virtue of tiebreaker.  But we're 9-4.  Alamo would love the Sooners.  We're CampingWorld BOwl bound at that point.  I don't think it comes to that, but that's what happens if we lose to WVU in Arlington.  Now we lose to OU up there, WVU takes a backseat to us at 9-3 for the Alamo Bowl.  

And all scenarios where we win in Arlington have us in New Orleans.  But be advised, Alamo Bowl is not a lock if things don't go our way up in Arlington.  

On 11/11/2018 at 3:16 PM, Eastwood said:

I looked it up the other day and was surprised to see that the Big 10 and Big 12 have zero contractual bowl match-ups.

If it's not a NY 6 bowl, I want the Alamo for purely selfish reasons.

I thought the Big 12 and SEC have an agreement that both conferences highest ranked teams that didn’t make the playoffs match up? Is that no longer the agreement?

2 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

I thought the Big 12 and SEC have an agreement that both conferences highest ranked teams that didn’t make the playoffs match up? Is that no longer the agreement?

The Big 12 has an agreement to send a team, and depending on which team that is, the SEC will then select a team that has a beneficial matchup against said team

41 minutes ago, satyanash said:

A four-loss team getting picked for a NY6 bowl would be unprecedented. It's either Sugar or Alamo for us, I think.

Yep, since there is no way we finish just 9-3 now. It's either 8-4, 9-4, or 10-3. The only way to go to a NY6 bowl would be to win the Big 12. I'm not sure a 4 loss team has been selected as an at large for a NY6 bowl.

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, the upsets up top have tapered off...we don't make a Peach/Fiesta at 9-4 this season barring just a cavalcade of madness.  It's basically Sugar or Alamo at this point.  

Although an interesting scenario presents itself.  West Virginia knocks off OU and plays us in the Big XII title game.  And then somehow beats us again (unlikely) . WVU goes to the Sugar Bowl as rightful league champs.  OU is sitting there at 10-2, loser to us by virtue of tiebreaker.  But we're 9-4.  Alamo would love the Sooners.  We're CampingWorld BOwl bound at that point.  I don't think it comes to that, but that's what happens if we lose to WVU in Arlington.  Now we lose to OU up there, WVU takes a backseat to us at 9-3 for the Alamo Bowl.  

And all scenarios where we win in Arlington have us in New Orleans.  But be advised, Alamo Bowl is not a lock if things don't go our way up in Arlington.  

A 10-2 ou is going to the NY6.

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The Big 12 has an agreement to send a team, and depending on which team that is, the SEC will then select a team that has a beneficial matchup against said team

SEC selects their bowl matchups for lower games but sends their champion for the Sugar Bowl, or their highest ranked non-champion in the case of the champ going to the playoffs. Same as the B12.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Evidently Auburn had four losses and played in the Sugar a few years ago. 

Because they were the highest CFP ranked SEC team after Bama went to the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep, since there is no way we finish just 9-3 now. It's either 8-4, 9-4, or 10-3. The only way to go to a NY6 bowl would be to win the Big 12. I'm not sure a 4 loss team has been selected as an at large for a NY6 bowl.

Bingo this isn’t rocket science.

If WVU had won then at 9-3 we could have gone as an at large team to a NY6 bowl.  Now that 9-3 is impossible (because we either lose to Kansas or go to the Big12 CCG) and an at large bid is out of the question, so we either win the Big 12 and go to the Sugar or we lose a game and go to the Alamo Bowl.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:20 AM, alincoln said:

Wouldn't a one loss Big 12 champion create more chaos?  A two-loss Big 12 champion would remove them from the playoff discussion.

A one-loss Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, ND, Ohio State, Washington State and WVU/Oklahoma would be interdasting.

You're right, a one loss WVU would be "interdasting".

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep, you are right. Maybe there is a shot that 9-4 Texas makes it as an at large.

If Texas were to play OU again in the CCG and lose a close game *cringe* the CFP would likely still have Texas ranked ahead of WVU. In that case, if OU were to get to the playoff, Texas would go to the Sugar. That is how Auburn got in, through the SEC's tie-in, and it would be a 9-4 Texas team's best {probably only) shot at a NY6. Hope it doesn't come to that. 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tv eyes drive the at large.  So yeah we’d be looked at. 

The reason Auburn made it in 2016 was because Alabama was the only SEC team with fewer than four losses that year - and they went to the playoff, so the Sugar Bowl had to pick the next best SEC team and all of its next-best choices (Auburn, Tennessee, Florida) had four losses.

In our situation, if we lose, one of WVU/blOU goes to the Sugar Bowl and the other is in line for that at-large spot. If blOU wins out and makes the playoffs, WVU goes to the Sugar Bowl.

24 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The reason Auburn made it in 2016 was because Alabama was the only SEC team with fewer than four losses that year - and they went to the playoff, so the Sugar Bowl had to pick the next best SEC team and all of its next-best choices (Auburn, Tennessee, Florida) had four losses.

In our situation, if we lose, one of WVU/blOU goes to the Sugar Bowl and the other is in line for that at-large spot. If blOU wins out and makes the playoffs, WVU goes to the Sugar Bowl.

If OU blows out WVU, we beat KU, and OU squeaks by us in the CGG earning a spot in the Top 4, we would probably be ahead of WVU in the polls and go to the Sugar Bowl.

Yeah, I don't see how we don't end up in the Alamo Bowl if we lose in Arlington.  It's 100% Sugar if we win, 90% Alamo if we lose, 10% other---mainly Fiesta, Peach, or CampingWorld.