Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

On 7/5/2021 at 7:52 AM, Neonmoon said:

Tomorrow War - it was entertaining. Didn’t hate it, didn’t love it. It was funny 

I think the Spikes were good, maybe a little too good. Meaning they took Aliens and gave them offensive weapons in spike throwing, and the ability to block bullets on this back. But I do think you could do many more movies with them as the threat to overcome, so I would expect a sequel with or without Pratt. 

Pratt doesn’t have the acting chops for some of those scenes. Australian actress does. Also, they should of ended the movie after he returned from the future. The last 40 minutes were slapped together with duct tape. Example, aliens are wiping out humanity in the future, a guy returns with a toxin to kill the aliens, and the Government won’t help him find them in Russia. Come. On.

Caught it over the weekend, and this is where I am. It's meant to be a shallow sci-fi comedy and don't think too much about it. It's not trying to be a Arthur C. Clarke story.

One aspect that I would give it an A+ is that I really had no idea where it was going. Too many movies, even ones i love, can telegraph their plot 10 minutes into the story. I appreciate a movie that you don't know what is happening next.

How many of you watched THEM? I am going to say that it was one of the strangest shows I have seen in some years. The phrase I was I could forget from that show is “Cat in the Bag”. That scene was one of the most horrific things I have ever seen. 

I’m not a sensitive viewer but that show - and specifically THAT scene - legit gave me nightmares and kept popping up in my head for a week or so after I saw it. Left me feeling very unsettled and disturbed.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:42 AM, abuelo gringo said:

Watched all the seasons of Inspector Lewis, who got his start as Inspector Morse's sergeant. Then I watched Endeavor about Morse's early career.  Subscribed to Britbox so I can watch Inspector Morse. I hope it is as good as the others.

I enjoy the British mysteries.

If anyone has been thinking about subscribing to britbox, now's a good time to do it. On sale until tomorrow -- if you pay for 12 months upfront, it's only $39. I think you have to sign up for it on their site, not any streaming affiliates. https://account.britbox.com/signup?callback  edit - if you sign up it'll look like you're being charged regular price but the price at the top, plus any sales tax, is what gets charged.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

if you sign up it'll look like you're being charged regular price but the price at the top, plus any sales tax, is what gets charged.

stupid question amnesty request.

if its a british streaming service, why would you have to pay state sales tax?     unless its a British sales tax?

8 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

if its a british streaming service, why would you have to pay state sales tax?     unless its a British sales tax?

The answer is super complicated, a result of a 2018 Supreme Court decision. It's up to each state if they enforce online sales tax collection. I'm in CO and they appear to. Also Britbox LLC is a US Company and a joint venture between the BBC an ITV to serve the US and Canada so legally they're not a British company.

26 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

14 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The answer is super complicated, a result of a 2018 Supreme Court decision. It's up to each state if they enforce online sales tax collection. I'm in CO and they appear to. Also Britbox LLC is a US Company and a joint venture between the BBC an ITV to serve the US and Canada so legally they're not a British company.

And it could also be as simple as having a billing company and hosting infrastructure here in the US.

This was a lot like Exterminate All Brutes on HBO.  Need to take it in small doses.

I was late getting to New Tricks but I'm making up for it. Very good show and exactly what I love about Brit tv. Not sure why I kept passing it up.

@abuelo gringo Try AcornTV, they have some great Brit shows as well.

227 and Diff’rent Strokes will launch on Prime Video on Thursday, July 15, and will be available to Prime members at no additional cost to their membership. Additional titles including The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, and Sanford will launch on Prime Video later in 2021.

All in the Family, Good Times, Maude, and One Day at a Time will launch Thursday, July 15, on IMDb TV. This will be the first time that episodes of Maude and all seasons of All in the Family are available to stream.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sneaky Pete (Amazon original) was a surprisingly good series to watch for me. But I LOVE con movies and tv shows.  It got a little far fetched in season 2-3 but it rallied and still hooked me hard to the end on the last few episodes. Dad issues and keeping secrets had me in tears at the end. Cried like a baby geez. Would watch again. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 10:12 PM, huge said:

Anyone else watch Val yet?

Self indulgent but still fascinating.

His current situation is not ideal but he seems to deal with it better than most would in his shoes.

Halfway through it. It’s hard to watch because I feel bad for him, he was one of my favorite actors growing up, and this movie makes me feel old as shit. 

10 hours ago, Asithappens said:

There's a 2003 show on Prime called "Dead Like Me".

I really liked it. Only two seasons and a quirky comedy that moves along and has one of the better endings for this type of show. 

Great show. Watched it when it first came out on Showtime.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2021 at 10:12 PM, huge said:

Anyone else watch Val yet?

Self indulgent but still fascinating.

His current situation is not ideal but he seems to deal with it better than most would in his shoes.

I saw it and it was pretty good. 

But it was kind of cringy, to me, at least. Val came across imo like some high school theatre geek who had way too high of an opinion of himself. 

The part where he was filming John Frankenheimer and Frankenheimer told him to put his video camera away? Give me a fucking break. That's chicken shit. And the more I watched the more I thought that Val is chickenshit, petty, and arrogant. He's a good actor but imo he's not THAT good. (and the interwebs buzz is that Kilmer burned somebody) Frankenheimer (of Manchurian Candidate and Ronin fame) shouldn't have to put up with petty actors like that. So, in that sense, fuck Val.

***One of the most famous stories about Kilmer’s attitude problem came from the set of the 1996 science-fiction horror film, The Island of Dr. Moreau, a notoriously difficult production. Kilmer reportedly showed up to set late, started arguments, recited lines meant for other characters, and, infamously, burned a cameraman with a cigarette. (Kilmer and the movie’s producers say it was an accident, but others say it was intentional.) ***

And fuck the Christian Scientist approach to health care. Val didn't have cancer, he had a "suggestion" of cancer. 

Edited by Asithappens

55 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I saw it and it was pretty good. 

But it was kind of cringy, to me, at least. Val came across imo like some high school theatre geek who had way too high of an opinion of himself. 

The part where he was filming John Frankenheimer and Frankenheimer told him to put his video camera away? Give me a fucking break. That's chicken shit. And the more I watched the more I thought that Val is chickenshit, petty, and arrogant. He's a good actor but imo he's not THAT good. (and the interwebs buzz is that Kilmer burned somebody) Frankenheimer (of Manchurian Candidate and Ronin fame) shouldn't have to put up with petty actors like that. So, in that sense, fuck Val.

***One of the most famous stories about Kilmer’s attitude problem came from the set of the 1996 science-fiction horror film, The Island of Dr. Moreau, a notoriously difficult production. Kilmer reportedly showed up to set late, started arguments, recited lines meant for other characters, and, infamously, burned a cameraman with a cigarette. (Kilmer and the movie’s producers say it was an accident, but others say it was intentional.) ***

And fuck the Christian Scientist approach to health care. Val didn't have cancer, he had a "suggestion" of cancer. 

So he talks through a tube now because of his silly faith beliefs?

Just found the documentary on Dean Dillon. Country Songwriter and artist that wrote for King George Strait and other top stars ( except it has Tony Keith, fuck that sooner). Its called Whiskey River- The Dean Dillon Story. If you like great old school country its great. If you like new bro country u can fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Just found the documentary on Dean Dillon. Country Songwriter and artist that wrote for King George Strait and other top stars ( except it has Tony Keith, fuck that sooner). Its called Whiskey River- The Dean Dillon Story. If you like great old school country its great. If you like new bro country u can fuck off.

Tennessee Whiskey 

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Good Girls Revolt.   Its a story of female journalists in NYC at the inception of the Women's Liberation movement.  It's been interesting to watch and see how different things were just 50 years ago, even in the center of a culture that was supposedly so woke for the time.  

They nailed the amount of ashtrays all over the place.

I have a friend who is about 15 years younger (he grew up in the 90s) and he mentioned something about a 60s movie or TV show and how much smoking/ashtrays there seemed to be, and couldn't believe it, and I was like "dude, until I got into high school, every home had at least one ashtray for guests, and they were at every table in restaurants, etc."

• Hook 'Em 1

I Shouldn't Be Alive

I randomly clicked on this show. I'm only a few episodes in, but It is solid. Definitely worth checking out.

It's a UK Production depicting events where humans toughed it out against a shit ton of odds (guy gets lost in a blizzard with his young wife and newborn in an old pickup, a single-person, single-engine plane crash in the Zimbabwe bush, Khmer Rouge kidnapping of volunteer Brit in Cambodia).

"The show was compiled using footage of interviews and graphic reenactments of the situation. The main focus of the show is the reenactment, with narration and commentary by the participant(s). Each episode also explained how the person(s) survived the ordeal against typical odds and outlined the decisions they had made that kept them alive."

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

If there are ladies in your life they may be watching LuLaRich. Documentary about the LuLaRo leggings mlm. I haven’t finished it so I’m not sure the extent to which the business broke out into scandal but it did a good job of illustrating how MLMs are pyramid scheme cults and the founder couple are enormously full of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

If there are ladies in your life they may be watching LuLaRich. Documentary about the LuLaRo leggings mlm. I haven’t finished it so I’m not sure the extent to which the business broke out into scandal but it did a good job of illustrating how MLMs are pyramid scheme cults and the founder couple are enormously full of shit.

We watched it and enjoyed it. It helped that my wife knew some people who had signed up and briefly entertained the idea but assumed it was bullshit, so she never got involved. 

In the end, it seemed more like a lot of little scandals combined with brazen executive negligence than anything overtly evil.

The characters made a good doc. I didn't really feel that bad for any of the "entrepreneurs" involved though

Edited by Chips O'Toole
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:52 AM, Not a cat said:

Just finished up third season of Loudermilk and really enjoyed it.  Ron Livingston is a substance abuse counselor.  Written by Peter Farrelly.  Think of a misanthropic Peter Gibbons running AA meetings with typical Farrelly dialogue.

If you watch first ten minutes and don't laugh go ahead and turn it off, because it's not for you.

Started this week and loving it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 6:00 PM, Macklemore said:

El Candidato is also very good.

El Candidato is awesome. I'm not a full season in yet but it's definitely impressed me. I'd describe it as Narcos Mexico meets Homeland. Not based on IRL though like Narcos. Half english, half spanish languages, filmed in Mexico City, written by a gringo lawyer. I'm surprised it didn't get more buzz and I presume that's because few think Mexican tv could be so sophisticated. But this show certainly is. So far there's 2 seasons worth on Prime.

• Hook 'Em 3