Thursday night Big 12: Texas Tech vs TCU

Longboard Horn

43 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This.  I F-ing hate playing Tech in Lubbock.  Going back to '98 game with McGarity's 4TD night to the 2008, 5-finger-of-death dick-punch game.  There's bad juju out there.  This game, and the WVU could easily both be losses to this team.  I just can't bring myself to completely trust this team yet.  My Battered-Longhorn-Syndrome is still flaring up....

It will be a tough game.  Since we all look at past performances there I just delude myself with the fact that Garrett Gilbert did beat Tech at night with a 5-7 team.

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I saw that the QB was out with a collapsed lung. Any chance he makes it back this season? Specifically for the Texas game?

Different player in true Freshman Alan Bowman.  He’s actually who came in to the Ole Miss game after McLane Carter was injured.  Yes Bowman should be back.  I’ve heard best case scenario is for the Kansas game.  He took an absolutely crushing hit between two defenders in the pocket against WVU.

Carter opened the 2nd half for Tech last night, before Duffy returned.

IMHO, Bowman should be the starter.  The offense is incredibly efficient with him at the helm, yes, even though he’s a true Freshman.  The other guys are truly backup caliber QBs.

12 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

Watching all 7 TTU fans on Twitter celebrate today is hilarious. They’re not even important enough to talk shit to. Texas Tech. Lol. 

Thank you for posting in the Game thread though...

Kliff Kingsbury is a pretty damn good coach, and he's an exceptional OC.

The fact that they're playing better defensively is a pretty impressive feat, given how rare that's been since the Spike Dykes days.

They'd be foolish not to keep him for a long time.  Sometimes it takes more than a few years to build a program.

3 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

It will be a tough game

We're gonna need Sam to help us with his legs and protect the ball when he runs.  In the first half, Robinson was getting chunk yardage on the ground, but fumbled pretty much every time he advanced the ball.

3 minutes ago, Augustus said:

The fact that they're playing better defensively is a pretty impressive feat, given how rare that's been since the Spike Dykes days.

They'd be foolish not to keep him for a long time.  Sometimes it takes more than a few years to build a program.

Kliff is an ideal coach for Tech. he could build a legacy there if he wanted to as long as the administration is honest with themselves about their expectations. If he can keep his defenses more consistent, he could have Mike Leach level success. 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Kliff is an ideal coach for Tech. he could build a legacy there if he wanted to as long as the administration is honest with themselves about their expectations. If he can keep his defenses more consistent, he could have Mike Leach level success. 

Mike Leach says Hi!

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think Kliff is more creative offensively than Leach.  And if, as you say, he can build some consistently good defenses, I believe he could surpass what Leach accomplished, i.e. winning the Big 12.

Threre's no reason he couldn't accomplish what Gundy has.

Edited by Augustus

I think Kliff is more creative offensively than Leach.  And if, as you say, he can build some consistently good defenses, I believe he could surpass what Leach accomplished, i.e. winning the Big 12.

Leach's success wasn't due to creativity...it was due to repetition.  They had very simple sets and formations they worked from, but they did it over and over and over.  It was very much like Vince Lombardi's approach.  Practice the same play over and over with a goal of perfection.

I think at the college level that approach is what works.  Don't overthink it.  Don't get too cute and creative.  Do what you do, and work to perfect it.  

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

Different player in true Freshman Alan Bowman.  He’s actually who came in to the Ole Miss game after McLane Carter was injured.  Yes Bowman should be back.  I’ve heard best case scenario is for the Kansas game.  He took an absolutely crushing hit between two defenders in the pocket against WVU.

Carter opened the 2nd half for Tech last night, before Duffy returned.

IMHO, Bowman should be the starter.  The offense is incredibly efficient with him at the helm, yes, even though he’s a true Freshman.  The other guys are truly backup caliber QBs.

Kliff essentially named Bowman the desired starter in his post-game presser by listing starting QB as one of the guys they didn't have last night. While he could have meant Carter's inability to play at 100%, it sounded more like he was referring to AB. I just noticed that the QBs at Tech are AB, C, and D.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

Leach's success wasn't due to creativity...it was due to repetition.  They had very simple sets and formations they worked from, but they did it over and over and over.  It was very much like Vince Lombardi's approach.  Practice the same play over and over with a goal of perfection.

I think at the college level that approach is what works.  Don't overthink it.  Don't get too cute and creative.  Do what you do, and work to perfect it.  

Kliff's no different in that respect, when it comes to repetition.

But I think he's better at adapting a gameplan to a QB's strengths/weaknesses, both in preparation and as the game unfolds.  He's not as rigid as Leach, and that's an asset.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

The scheme itself was highly innovative at the time.  100% shotgun, extremely wide line spits, regular use of 4 and even 5 wide.  Many of Leach's concepts are widely used now but that just wasn't the way football was played in the year 2000.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

This is wrong...and correct at the same time.

Leach’s scheme allowed for ‘creativity’ or interpretation from the QB in the form of reads by both the QB and WRs. The OL schemes and sets were absolutely innovative, or ‘creative.’

CKK is a little more flexible, for sure.  I was definitely in disagreement with how much ‘ interpretation’ he was allowing Duffy to make in the first half.  It looked like his reads and processing were going through mollasses...and then he was getting hurried/ sacked before he could react.  Part of the success of the Air Raid through the years has been quick reads and getting the ball out of the QB’s hands.  I still don’t understand some of that crap from the first half last night. It was putting Duffy in the worst possible situations for success.

Kliff's no different in that respect, when it comes to repetition.

But I think he's better at adapting a gameplan to a QB's strengths/weaknesses, both in preparation and as the game unfolds.  He's not as rigid as Leach, and that's an asset.

Agree with you 100%.  Leach's stubbornness that allowed his offensive success ironically was also what kept him from being more successful.  Your use of the word "rigid" hits the nail on the head perfectly.  He sometimes refused to adjust his scheme when it was needed because he refused to give up on his philosophy of execution over adjustment.

I loved Leach...but I also got very frustrated with his stubbornness...which ultimately proved to be his downfall.  I think he has become less rigid at WAZZU.  

Watching Kliff change his offensive approach last night to fit the personnel he had on the field as well as to counter what TCU was doing was a beautiful sight to behold.  

19 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Klff is not more innovative.

He does seem to be a little more flexible in his approach to the gameplan.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

This is wrong...and correct at the same time.

Leach’s scheme allowed for ‘creativity’ or interpretation from the QB in the form of reads by both the QB and WRs. The OL schemes and sets were absolutely innovative, or ‘creative.’

CKK is a little more flexible, for sure.  I was definitely in disagreement with how much ‘ interpretation’ he was allowing Duffy to make in the first half.  It looked like his reads and processing were going through mollasses...and then he was getting hurried/ sacked before he could react.  Part of the success of the Air Raid through the years has been quick reads and getting the ball out of the QB’s hands.  I still don’t understand some of that crap from the first half last night. It was putting Duffy in the worst possible situations for success.

His scheme was innovative, to be sure.  But when I attended Leach Fantasy Camp and had Lincoln Riley & Seth Littrell break it down for us in film studies and then later on the field, it really is quite simple and yet genius at the same time.  

27 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

His scheme was innovative, to be sure.  But when I attended Leach Fantasy Camp and had Lincoln Riley & Seth Littrell break it down for us in film studies and then later on the field, it really is quite simple and yet genius at the same time.  

tenor.gif?itemid=11663330

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

True genius often seems obvious in retrospect but is wildly against the conventional wisdom at the time.

It's extremely complicated when it comes to execution.  That's why it requires the massive amount of reps.

It matters not as Leach's place in football history as an innovator and  influence of the game is cemented already.  It's just frustrating when people, either ignorantly or with amnesia; seem to downplay his contributions.  

It's not malicious or anything, it's just a bit puzzling.  

Edited by slorch

One really notable trend where I think Leach was a key contributor is going for it on 4th down.  20 years ago, nobody went on 4th and more than 1 at the opponent's 45 yard line.  I think Leach even supported it with an expected value analysis.  He may be crazy but he's not stupid.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, slorch said:

It's extremely complicated when it comes to execution.  That's why it requires the massive amount of reps.

It matters not as Leach's place in football history as an innovator and  influence of the game is cemented already.  It's just frustrating when people, either ignorantly or with amnesia; seem to downplay his contributions.  

It's not malicious or anything, it's just a bit puzzling.  

To be clear, I was not downplaying his contributions.  He changed high school football in Texas forever.

My only point was that his schemes were not complicated, but the execution of them was a thing of beauty.  People at the time called it a gadget or gimmick offense, and in all honestly it was anything but.  It was just masterfully executed.

L post="619193" timestamp="1539360202" name="sushihorn" userid="3844"] The scheme itself was highly innovative at the time.  100% shotgun, extremely wide line spits, regular use of 4 and even 5 wide.  Many of Leach's concepts are widely used now but that just wasn't the way football was played in the year 2000.

Also pioneered the strategy “there’s no way they’re gonna call holding on every play.”

• Like 1

Leach has a bit of the Roy McAvoy in him, meaning I could see Leach dropping ball after ball and hitting each into the water, score be damned. Talented yes, but seemingly more intent on making a point than accomplishing the task at hand at times. The story of him at Pearl Harbor will always be one of my favorites.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Leach has a bit of the Roy McAvoy in him, meaning I could see Leach dropping ball after ball and hitting each into the water, score be damned. Talented yes, but seemingly more intent on making a point than accomplishing the task at hand at times. The story of him at Pearl Harbor will always be one of my favorites.

Yes.  Never thought about it that way, but you nailed it with ole Tin Cup.  Loyalty to his starting QB was maddening sometimes.

4 hours ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

It will be a tough game.  Since we all look at past performances there I just delude myself with the fact that Garrett Gilbert did beat Tech at night with a 5-7 team.

That 2010 defense was pretty good. 

Our offense on the other hand was like watching old people fuck...ugly.

Aggy after their game with Kentucky- “now that’s a sec defensive battle of skull cracking hits”

aggy after tech Vs. tcu “bfd game bringing the zzz’s of shitty offenses”.

This is exactly how sec fanbases talk. Any other conference  it’s shitty offense, in the mighty sec it’s powerful defenses.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, slorch said:

The Bro-man is clearly the best of those 3. 

I'm wondering if Tommy Maddox worked with him over the spring (Maddox was coaching baseball at Grapevine last year) because he's much improved.

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

Was anyone else here at that game at DKR against Mizzou when it rained so hard they called the game off for a while? Wasn’t because of lightening but just the incredible downfall of rain. Seems like it was 1996. Never been at any event with harder rain.

Yup, 1996.  The season opener and home opener that year, and our very first game in the brand new Big XII.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Was anyone else here at that game at DKR against Mizzou when it rained so hard they called the game off for a while? Wasn’t because of lightening but just the incredible downfall of rain. Seems like it was 1996. Never been at any event with harder rain.

Yes, great game. We stopped them, then they punted into the wind for very little gain. Then we scored. Ricky f'n Williams.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Aggy after their game with Kentucky- “now that’s a sec defensive battle of skull cracking hits”

aggy after tech Vs. tcu “bfd game bringing the zzz’s of shitty offenses”.

This is exactly how sec fanbases talk. Any other conference  it’s shitty offense, in the mighty sec it’s powerful defenses.

This is the truth.  I remember distinctly after the NC game vs USC seeing conversation on one of the SEC boards where they were incredulous that people were talking about it being one of the greatest games ever.  "It looked like an average Saturday in the SEC" or some crap like that.

aggy fits in well with those deluded jackholes.

Yeah I was there. Lightning out the ass and frog strangler rain. We were in the north end zone with our pre teen kids and it starts pouring and lightning and they said to evacuate. Well we were trying to go down the stairs and the line wasn't moving so I ran to another exit and back up the stairs and these two teenage boys were blocking the way trying to go back up into the stadium and wern't letting people go down. I told them that there were a bunch of people trying to get away from the lightning and that they needed to go down and get out of the way. They informed me that they were going to go up and not get out of the way. Whereupon I informed them that my kids were up there exposed to lightning and if they did not get out of the way that I WAS GOING TO THROW THEIR SORRY ASSES OVER THE SIDE. The saw the error of ways and got out of the way.

That is the only time I have left a game early. I had four soaked little kids freezing so we left and went to the car in one of the garages by the drum. Turned on the radio and the game had started back up so we drove to the top floor, put on the heater, warmed the kids up and listened to the end of the game and watched the tower go orange.
  • Like 1

This.  I F-ing hate playing Tech in Lubbock. 

CSB time, I told this on shaggy as well.

My father who is in his 70s was at his lease 5 or 6 years ago in Graham on Friday and said he was going to go over to lubbock to catch the game that Saturday night.

I told him to DO NOT wear orange since night game. He did. Texas won, and on his way to his car he got rolled up on a Tahoe, hit the windshield and rolled off. He somehow wasnt hurt. The Tahoe sped off, but the tech fans in the car behind checked up on him and offered a ride but he said he was fine.

10 hours ago, Augustus said:

This^. I'm sure KSU is glad it didn't let Synder go after his underwhelming first five seasons.