Thursday night Big 12: Texas Tech vs TCU

Longboard Horn

Focus on Baylor. Beat Baylor.
Then focus on Okie State. Beat Okie State.
Then focus on WVU. Beat WVU.
Then focus on Tech. Beat Tech.
Then focus on Iowa State. Beat Iowa State.
Then focus on Kansas. Beat Kansas.

The more shit y’all talk about destroying a team, the least likely it occurs. History agrees with me.

Please don’t get me wrong, I want Texas to win out, and fuck stomp their way through the playoffs and kill Bama for the national title.

But talking shit when there’s more than half a season to play is just fucking stupid.

• Like 5

Lel
Tech doesn't have a defense btw. They will get schemed on then wore the fuck out by a real offense. TCU has been playing sloppy sweaty Fatterson football this year.
I enjoyed all the announcers shuddering and mentioning "Texas... errr...  TCU with the ball" it's like they dont know what it stands for or they have realised Texas is the only Texas and the other teams are aggy, tech, froggy, rapelor, cougar high, and HOOT HOOT rice Owls.

How old are you?
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Since then, he's (Duffey)  been arrested like 12 times.

For the record he's been arrested a total of one time, and that was for a misdemeanor.

i feel like his detractors here have been a little overboard in their criticism of him tonight.  He's a third teamer who had virtually no experience getting his first start on the road against what is not a bad defense.  Thought he got better as the game progressed.

He was 13 of 24 passing with 83 yards rushing and one passing TD and one running TD.  Had one interception that was the equivalent of perhaps TTU's best punt of the night.  Was sacked twice which given TT's OL injuries wasn't too bad.

He's certainly not without issues,  but I'm not sure how realistic the expectations of him were to find great fault with his performance tonight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

TCU had 411 yards of total offense. They lost this because of self-inflicted mistakes. 

I won't  pretend I know who will win UT/TT at this point.   I believe I recall UT giving up 370 yards to TCU, however.  That's not a lot of difference. I think I also recall UT being the beneficiary of 4 TCU turnovers.

I also get a kick out of the frequent references  in this thread to TT losing to ol Miss, like UT didn't lose to a mediocre at best Maryland.  While I won't bore you with the reasons for their loss, there were explanations.  It happens.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah they get Kansas at home, then on the road at ISU. After that it's OU and Texas at home back to back. Their loss to Ole Miss and ours to Maryland is the noose around the Big 12's neck right now.

We lost by 20 to Ole MIss in a neutral site while losing our starting QB in the 1st quarter and our starters at DB by the 3rd QTR.

That game ain't nearly the indictment of Tech as Maryland is to UT.  If we could have one back, I'd rather have the 1st QTR against WVU...

Teams are not monolithic entities. They are capable of getting better as the season progresses. 
We of all fans should understand this. But then again, 97% of college football fans are total fucking idiots. 
Yeah, but nothing about Tech last night looked like an average team wouldn't still have beat them soundly. TCU was absolute dogshit last night and was right there into the end.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Focus on Baylor. Beat Baylor.
Then focus on Okie State. Beat Okie State.
Then focus on WVU. Beat WVU.
Then focus on Tech. Beat Tech.
Then focus on Iowa State. Beat Iowa State.
Then focus on Kansas. Beat Kansas.

The more shit y’all talk about destroying a team, the least likely it occurs. History agrees with me.

Please don’t get me wrong, I want Texas to win out, and fuck stomp their way through the playoffs and kill Bama for the national title.

But talking shit when there’s more than half a season to play is just fucking stupid.

You don't happen to live in Sinton and be named William?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slorch said:

We lost by 20 to Ole MIss in a neutral site while losing our starting QB in the 1st quarter and our starters at DB by the 3rd QTR.

That game ain't nearly the indictment of Tech as Maryland is to UT.  If we could have one back, I'd rather have the 1st QTR against WVU...

I read that as a perception thing.  The B12 has an ongoing perception problem, and if the teams at the "top" of the conference are losing to Maryland and Ole Miss then it's an overall problem for the B12-- the noose around the conference's neck.

Ultimately I care a lot less about that, and a lot more about our team just playing well and winning football games, but the perception does become an issue at the end of the season, especially when the selection committee is weighing the faults and merits of a couple of 1-loss conference champions.

• Like 1

Between this clash of titans and Eagles/Jints there was a lot of shitty football on display last night, other than the Eagles offensive first half and Saquon Barkley. Couple thoughts on this one. 

Mentioned in an earlier post this week that I thought Tech and ISU wouldn't win the conference but would shape the race. Tech just shaped the race by eliminating TCU. TCU's defense is very good, but Shawn Robinson is horrible as a QB right now. Should be interesting to see if Justin Rogers gets some playing time in the last 3 games. That Qb competition in the spring will be one to watch. 

I am now more convinced then ever that OU will win out to the WVa game. In the giddiness of the win last week, there seemed to be a bunch of folks thinking that OU might trip up on the road at either TCU or Tech, but nothing last night convinced me of that. OU comes to Ft Worth next week off of a bye. Will it get Oklahoma trailer park woman ugly?

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Didn't know they played yesterday, but Tech is probably the most concerning game on the schedule for me

Why?  It’s an easy win according to Horn fans in this thread...

16 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

My biggest take away from this game is that Patterson is a mouth-breathing fat slob that likes to scream at everybody. He's particularly embarrassing when the camera crews zero in on his tantrums.

My wife casually watching said "Who is that guy? He seems like an asshole."

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I only saw the first half and a few minutes of the third quarter, but Shawn Robinson seems very meh to me. 

I think Todd Orlando broke him.  Robinson seemed terrified of throwing into anything resembling traffic or zone coverage.

Edited by sushihorn

28 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

My biggest take away from this game is that Patterson is a mouth-breathing fat slob that likes to scream at everybody. He's particularly embarrassing when the camera crews zero in on his tantrums.

Even the announcers couldn't help but take shots at his sweatiness.

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

Why?  It’s an easy win according to Horn fans in this thread...

lol, I haven't considered any upcoming game for Texas an "easy win" in nearly a decade. And there haven't been many. 

Certainly Tech, Ok St, WV will be tough; hell people shouldn't be expecting Baylor or ISU to be easy. 

How TCU defended that 4x1 WR set was retarded (Tech's first TD).  I dunno if Patterson just missed it on film, or if they didn't make the correct check/alignment.  But that was doomed to failure before the snap.

Shawn Robinson sucks.  QB play was terrible on both sides but at least Tech has an excuse for it.

Is there anything Patterson does besides yell at the refs and his assistants every down?

30 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Didn't know they played yesterday, but Tech is probably the most concerning game on the schedule for me

This.  I F-ing hate playing Tech in Lubbock.  Going back to '98 game with McGarity's 4TD night to the 2008, 5-finger-of-death dick-punch game.  There's bad juju out there.  This game, and the WVU could easily both be losses to this team.  I just can't bring myself to completely trust this team yet.  My Battered-Longhorn-Syndrome is still flaring up....

The narrative from ESPN was that TCU wasn't prepared for the sudden shift in offense, but they did fine until 3Q.  What I noticed is that either the light suddenly just came on in Tech''s D backfield (unlikely) or Robinson is a really bad QB when in panic mode (likely).  That last is really weird because he's better in the hurry-up.  It's like the hurry-up is fine for him unless he needs to run it.  

From the late 3Q on he missed receivers like he was just guessing.  Tech basically blitzed on every down and Robinson couldn't hit the outlets.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

This.  I F-ing hate playing Tech in Lubbock.  Going back to '98 game with McGarity's 4TD night to the 2008, 5-finger-of-death dick-punch game.  There's bad juju out there.  This game, and the WVU could easily both be losses to this team.  I just can't bring myself to completely trust this team yet.  My Battered-Longhorn-Syndrome is still flaring up....

Our team is fun but hardly dominant. Baylor this weekend could get us. We have to continue to get better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Home team hasn't won since Mayfield was around. The streak favors us.

5 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The narrative from ESPN was that TCU wasn't prepared for the sudden shift in offense, but they did fine until 3Q.  What I noticed is that either the light suddenly just came on in Tech''s D backfield (unlikely) or Robinson is a really bad QB when in panic mode (likely).  That last is really weird because he's better in the hurry-up.  It's like the hurry-up is fine for him unless he needs to run it.  

From the late 3Q on he missed receivers like he was just guessing.  Tech basically blitzed on every down and Robinson couldn't hit the outlets.

Seems like they juiced him full of pain killers for his shoulder and he had a little bit of trouble focusing in the 2nd half. Kids a great athlete playing QB, and the list is very long on names of players just like him who never figured it out. Names like Jerod Heard, Tyrone Swoops, Blake Bell, Reggie McNeal, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Seems like they juiced him full of pain killers for his shoulder and he had a little bit of trouble focusing in the 2nd half. Kids a great athlete playing QB, and the list is very long on names of players just like him who never figured it out. Names like Jerod Heard, Tyrone Swoops, Blake Bell, Reggie McNeal, etc.

He did seem kind of spacy and missed obvious defenders in his way. The painkiller theory makes sense.

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Seems like they juiced him full of pain killers for his shoulder and he had a little bit of trouble focusing in the 2nd half.

Possible, but he seemed to react the same in Austin - he started missing really bad on mid-range routes and outlets when they were behind late.

Edited by Liquor and Poker

6 hours ago, slorch said:

I saw that the QB was out with a collapsed lung. Any chance he makes it back this season? Specifically for the Texas game?