2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Space City Weather guys are saying the forecast is pretty grim for all of Texas being able to see the eclipse.

People with those $600 per night non refundable hotel rooms…spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I know it was discussed somewhere upthread last year but not going to go back and look for it right now:

how much better is it to be near the center line of totality vs the fringes?

you get the same effect on the fringe just not as long?

With this forecast and the expected trafficpocalyose, thinking I’m just going to stay in Austin proper and enjoy my 2.5 minutes of totality vs driving out west for ~4.5 minutes 

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I know it was discussed somewhere upthread last year but not going to go back and look for it right now:

With this forecast and the expected trafficpocalyose, thinking I’m just going to stay in Austin proper and enjoy my 2.5 minutes of totality vs driving out west for ~4.5 minutes 

As long as you're inside the area of totality that's all that really matters. I think the difference between center line and edge is a few seconds. But having said that, I've always heard there's no comparison between 100% coverage and 99.999999999%. Just make sure you're in the red zone

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

As long as you're inside the area of totality that's all that really matters. I think the difference between center line and edge is a few seconds. But having said that, I've always heard there's no comparison between 100% coverage and 99.999999999%. Just make sure you're in the red zone

Thanks.

right. I had just completely forgotten Austin was still in the totality path. Was set on getting as close to the center line—and the longest exposure (4.5 minutes) as possible. My work and kid’s school in austin proper will still get 2.5 minutes of totality. 

But considering both are now forecasted to get a whopping 0, looks like it won’t matter 

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

28 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I will disagree, slightly, for a few reasons:

1. I can go 5 minutes from my place in Vermont, just over the line into totality, I will get 20 seconds of totality. I drive a few more miles into totality, I get that up to 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. You get to the center line, you're well over 3 minutes.

2. If you are close to the edge, you will get some light bleed over from near by reflections.

I won't deny once you are well into totality, it's just a matter of time. But I do want to be a little further in for both a little longer of an experience and to avoid some of the light bleed over.

• Hook 'Em 2

We're debating cancelling our plans.  Not much point in taking off for work when you won't be able to see shit with rain dampening the chances for outdoor activities over the weekend on top of it.  We have to head back home after the eclipse anyway because I have to be back at work Tuesday morning now because of some stuff that came up.

Yeah, same here. Wife was told she has to work and since she will be out in the field she can see it anyways. Don't feel like dealing with the masses so going to fire up the grill, get a 12 pack, and watch from home. If it rains, oh well. We need the rain!

We have some idiots at work who wanted to close their offices not because they want to watch the eclipse, but because they are convinced the power is going to be off all afternoon because the eclipse is going to somehow make the electrical grid go down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I just posted the following in another eclipse thread, but this one looks like higher traffic:

I've tentatively planned a 9-hour drive to central Texas area with the fam to get into ~3.5+ minutes of totality.  The weather forecast is currently not abiding.  No fires at least, but likely cloudy... hopefully forecast changes (source=Space City Weather):

PXL_20240401_170036779_MP.thumb.jpg.2ff2e86839fe297f3e39716d835d879e.jpg

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think it's just about guaranteed to be cloudy that day.  Rain isn't for certain, but the forecast is about as locked in as possible for clouds.

Yeah, the only hope I saw from SA Express News is that the American GFS weather model shows low pressure moving through with clear blue skies by.... Tuesday.  The glimmer of hope is that the weather system tracks east faster than currently forecasted.

Edited by 7KHorn
Typo

36 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We have some idiots at work who wanted to close their offices not because they want to watch the eclipse, but because they are convinced the power is going to be off all afternoon because the eclipse is going to somehow make the electrical grid go down.

Not sure I would underestimate the frailty of the Texas power grid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Even if it's cloudy, won't it be pitch black for 2 minutes? I mean, that's pretty wild.

Yeah but if its cloudy, you can't post the pics of the eclipse on Instagram for the likes and clout. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b95223k9821zh3lxdv3hcqv

44 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

100% serial.  A teacher at my school came in this morning huffing and puffing.  She had heard that they were going to move the eclipse to July due to the rain.  She was not joking when she asked if they could even do that.

Geez. No, they can't change the date, but they can move it west where it will be sunnier.

• Haha 2