2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It makes it look like kind of a cloudy day for a few minutes, just without clouds. I have no idea why people get excited about eclipses.

I don’t get why people get excited about Amazon chains and plain white tee-shirts, and overpaying guys that play 60 games/year….yet here we are 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

That was a lot of fun. I got my normally "home-ridden" 82 year old mother outside and interested and my kids saw their first. The inside effects were cool too.

PSA for future one, the libraries give away glasses and our local one also had a telescope with filter for close up view.

Though I'm sure April will be nutty and packed at official locations.

PXL_20231014_170911646.thumb.jpg.af7577083d8babe9e05405d533978770.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, DaysOff said:

This is a bust. I thought it'd be way darker out even with the ring.

It got pretty dark in Uvalde county.  

At its darkest, butterflies started swarming out of nowhere and some hawks that were around got off of their perches and flew in erratic circles.  No four leggers were to be seen.  Animals are more attuned to sun and moon phases than we are.  An event like today’s must really set them into tailspins.   

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, deadshank said:

At its darkest, butterflies started swarming out of nowhere and some hawks that were around got off of their perches and flew in erratic circles.  No four leggers were to be seen.  Animals are more attuned to sun and moon phases than we are.  An event like today’s must really set them into tailspins.   

I caught a few bass after it started.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Didn't look but was cool biking down Alamo Street in San Antonio and seeing peeps bursting out the doors of local establishments and looking at the skies and a few minutes later in Hemisfair Park hearing a faint collective gasp and applause. Anything that gets people amped about the same thing and doesn't hurt anyone else, I'm for. 

Screenshot_20231014-122910-123.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

ah!  myein eyes!  ze googles, zey do nothing!  

Family meeting tonight, we've all agreed that the children have dentist's appointments for the next Monday eclipse and can't make school.  So we're going camping Sunday night and staying to watch the eclipse closer to the totality path.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, deadshank said:

My dog was acting weird as fuck the whole time. Outside it was like dusk and he didn't know what to make of it. 

• Hook 'Em 2