Graduate? First watch a video on how to act to police

crash_davis

0203_authoritah1.jpg?quality=0.8

holy shit.  what fucked up times.  that this is even mandated and that there is even a need for this video.  video in the link.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/10/17/texas-students-required-watch-police-stop-video-before-graduation/1668465002/

Students in Texas must watch an instructional video about how to act when stopped by police officers before graduating because of a new Texas law. 

The 16-minute video, a byproduct of the Community Safety Education Act, opens with flashing lights and dramatic music. Sen. Royce West, a Dallas Democrat who authored the new legislation explains the goal of the video and the act is to "define" behavioral expectations of citizens and officers during traffic stops. 

"This content is designed specifically to make certain that the trust factor between law enforcement and citizens is stronger than ever," West says in the video.

that trust factor between citizens and law enforcement is stronger than ever?  

You think compulsory videos demanding subjugation and categorical obedience is going to strengthen trust?  Holy shit Royce, didn't realize Goebbels was running your PR team.

It's weird to me this needs to be taught. My parents reared me always to be polite. I'm not particular cop fan, but regardless I "yes sir / no sir" when pulled over vs. being a jackass. I guess my parents taught me to be polite to everyone, and clearly that's a minority POV these days.

• Like 2

This reminds me. My employer a few years ago paid for me to get a graduate degree, and before I could matriculate, I had to watch some absurd sexual assault and alcohol abuse videos of about 4 hours long. Society has problems with things (booze abuse, sex assault on campus, people being killed by cops) and I guess are told by risk management to do a cursory video?

in a perfect world, people would be nice and respectful to each other, which includes when getting pulled over.  but also in a perfect world, a person wouldn't be pulled over and harassed because the color of his skin.

like i said in my original post, we lived in a fucked up world.  

• Like 1

It's weird to me this needs to be taught. My parents reared me always to be polite. I'm not particular cop fan, but regardless I "yes sir / no sir" when pulled over vs. being a jackass. I guess my parents taught me to be polite to everyone, and clearly that's a minority POV these days.

Can you imagine how for some, they can apply what you described and it still doesn’t matter?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

it's the dismal tide......

24 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

in a perfect world, people would be nice and respectful to each other, which includes when getting pulled over.  but also in a perfect world, a person wouldn't be pulled over and harassed because the color of his skin.

like i said in my original post, we lived in a fucked up world.  

Ain't that the truth.

39 minutes ago, Kyle said:

What doesn't matter?

Your dealings with the police haven't been what they've been to this point because of how you were raised by your parents, but because you're not dark-skinned.  

Screenshot-20181018-170839-Chrome.jpg

Are these the cops in question? I could be down with a movie demonstrating how to interact with these modern day heros protecting the community from miscreants like myself. At times I can be a very bad boy. 

It would be nice if they turned the lights down low in class, and probably wouldn't hurt to turn the volume up a little. Might have to watch it a couple times.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Screenshot-20181018-170839-Chrome.jpg

Are these the cops in question? I could be down with a movie demonstrating how to interact with these modern day heros protecting the community from miscreants like myself. At times I can be a very bad boy. 

It would be nice if they turned the lights down low in class, and probably wouldn't hurt to turn the volume up a little. Might have to watch it a couple times.

I'd be down for a little B&E with those two. But I'd skip the B and go right to the E. 

Are civics and Texas history still required to graduate high school.  I know when I was in school they were mandatory, or has crap like the curriculum above replaced them?

Gotta have World Geography, World History, US History, and Government/Economics

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Your dealings with the police haven't been what they've been to this point because of how you were raised by your parents, but because you're not dark-skinned.  

Or maybe when dealing with the police I'm not aggressive or an asshole?

My wife and her family are dark skinned. None of them ever has had a problem. (absolutes are the hobgoblin of a lazy mind)

I don't deny many are pulled over for "driving while black," but much of what happens after that largely is driven by how one interacts with police. (this is true in virtually all relationships)

No cloak room, but sometimes nuance is required. (don't be tempted to jump to the "you love cops, hate all non-whites" straw man,  which of course is not what I'm implying)

Everyone faces injustice, and it is how one responds to that injustice that often determines the ultimate outcome. (no, responding politely does not excuse or promote said injustice)

Demanding cops treat citizens with respect and coaching citizens to respect cops are not mutually exclusive. (they're not, now matter what twitter says)

20 minutes ago, Kyle said:

My wife and her family are dark skinned. None of them ever has had a problem. (absolutes are the hobgoblin of a lazy mind)

I don't deny many are pulled over for "driving while black," but much of what happens after that largely is driven by how one interacts with police. (this is true in virtually all relationships)

No cloak room, but sometimes nuance is required. (don't be tempted to jump to the "you love cops, hate all non-whites" straw man,  which of course is not what I'm implying)

Everyone faces injustice, and it is how one responds to that injustice that often determines the ultimate outcome. (no, responding politely does not excuse or promote said injustice)

Demanding cops treat citizens with respect and coaching citizens to respect cops are not mutually exclusive. (they're not, now matter what twitter says)

Did you never see the Philando Castile shooting video?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/06/21/philando-castile-shooting-dashcam-llr-orig.cnn

I’m always been polite during my few interactions with police. However, I’m sure it’s a lot easier to be polite if you’re not constantly harassed for no reason. You are right in that there are no absolutes, but I don’t think anyone can deny that minorities are much more likely to be forced to interact with police.

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

Will need to see pictures posted of her to show just how dark.   Minimal clothes to highlight any tan lines would be helpful too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a white Hispanic, I've found being visibly white; middle-aged; driving a boring, late model car; and, having USAA auto insurance help with cops. It's like they're looking for a reason not to give me a ticket, like that old Dave Chappelle skit.

So people should be respectful to officers who have already violated their rights? That's absurd.

And if it helps, I don't hate you because of your myopic worldview, I hate you because of how many parenthetical statements you use.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

So people should be respectful to officers who have already violated their rights? That's absurd.

And if it helps, I don't hate you because of your myopic worldview, I hate you because of how many parenthetical statements you use.

Yes because:

1. The person being accosted has no definitive way to accurately ascertain whether her rights were violated (maybe you have a magic way to judge another person's heart or intent -> if so, share as that sounds awesome)

2. Even if one could fiat #1 above, not the time or place to engage (being disrespectful or rude to a cop or anyone because your judging her or making assumptions is usually not helpful in any relationship)

(FWIW - I don't hate your or anyone but ousux; I do love the irony you bring to your comments)

Here is the video:

lol @ officer D.VO.  Yeah, it's all about public safety all the time.  It's never about a cash grab or worse.

... and Fuck Acevedo's smirk at ~9:20 when he tells you you can take your case to court if you think the officer acted inappropriately.  He knows the court won't do shit.

What are the chances Texas will also promote some civics lessons like these:

Edited by bernorange
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m always been polite during my few interactions with police. However, I’m sure it’s a lot easier to be polite if you’re not constantly harassed for no reason. You are right in that there are no absolutes, but I don’t think anyone can deny that minorities are much more likely to be forced to interact with police.

Tap the brakes, please. 

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Yes because:

1. The person being accosted has no definitive way to accurately ascertain whether her rights were violated (maybe you have a magic way to judge another person's heart or intent -> if so, share as that sounds awesome)

2. Even if one could fiat #1 above, not the time or place to engage (being disrespectful or rude to a cop or anyone because your judging her or making assumptions is usually not helpful in any relationship)

(FWIW - I don't hate your or anyone but ousux; I do love the irony you bring to your comments)

...do you think an officer has to be thinking "I'm going to violate this black asshole's civil rights today!" for a civil rights violation to occur?

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

Absolutely false. Being polite to cops / treating them with some cursory level of respect goes so far that in most instances it know no color. That and not dressing like an idiot (applies to all races) are huge factors in how you’ll be treated by cops. 

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Absolutely false. Being polite to cops / treating them with some cursory level of respect goes so far that in most instances it know no color. That and not dressing like an idiot (applies to all races) are huge factors in how you’ll be treated by cops

I foresee a fun conversation about to start.

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

That and not dressing like an idiot (applies to all races) are huge factors in how you’ll be treated by cops. 

No racist

I think what you meant to say was if only black people would dress like white people, the cops wouldn't notice they're black.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

No racist

I think what you meant to say was if only black people would dress like white people, the cops wouldn't notice they're black.

Nope. Plenty of whites people dress like morons. 

So dark jeans/slacks with a fleece vest over blue dress shirt will keep us from being harassed by the police?  I can only assume a pastel polo and visor on the weekends will also keep one safe from undue violence?  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So dark jeans/slacks with a fleece vest over blue dress shirt will keep us from being harassed by the police?  I can only assume a pastel polo and visor on the weekends will also keep one safe from undue violence?  

Yep. Or a suit. Or a kickass sport coat. Jorts should result in a tasing.