2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Crazy stat I heard on a pod, only one other team ever has gone 12-0 with winning every game by 22+...the 1888 Yale Bulldogs went 13-0 beating an undefeated Princeton team 10-0 in their final game.

That's crazy. I had to check to be sure; the 1995 Nebraska team only had one win under that 22-point threshold, a 14-point win against Wazzu in Week 5. Same with 2013 FSU, a 14-point win against Boston College in Week 4.

The system is beyond broken. 

Alabama can go two straight years losing to Georgia in the championship game, and still make the playoffs. 

They will get the benefit of playing the next best team in their conference with nothing on the line and a playoff berth locked up for the second straight year.  

Figure Skating 

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The system is beyond broken. 

Alabama can go two straight years losing to Georgia in the championship game, and still make the playoffs. 

They will get the benefit of playing the next best team in their conference with nothing on the line and a playoff berth locked up for the second straight year.  

Figure Skating 

Alabama did not lose to UGA in the championship game last year. They didn't even get to the game.

• Like 1

The CFB is not the NFL. The CFB does not have 32 teams of roughly equivalent parity. A 10-6 Giants team that finished second in a four-team division winning it all in a playoff that nearly half the bloody league gets to go to is exciting in the NFL. The CFB equivalent would be unpalatable, and for good reason. It would end up like the NFL with teams resting starters and not caring if they win or lose.
Blindly making the group larger and larger doesn't 'fix the problem'. Neither does aping the NFL system. They make much more money under the current system and no one thinks there is so much parity that the number 16 team has a legitimate claim at a championship. The absolute most I would ever want to see is 8. All P5 conference Champs get an auto bid if they're above a minimum win threshold, highest ranked G5 champion gets in, next 2 highest ranked teams. 

It’s generally a safe bet to have the exact opposite opinion Satya.... so expand to 16 it is.

Still would be the most exclusive playoff in all of football.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:18 AM, Huckleberry said:

They are the best team in the country, so if that's the criterion then they clearly deserve to go.

But if they lose to Georgia then they will have only one win over a team with fewer than 4 losses (LSU) and an absolutely atrocious non-conference schedule. It's not their fault that Louisville is so awful this year but Alabama's non-conference opponents were ranked #114, #85, #111, and #161 in Sagarin's ratings. That should definitely be a topic of discussion, but of course it won't and they'll just sail right into the playoff. In all honesty if they lose to Georgia then their résumé won't be that impressive if you only look at wins, losses, schedule, etc. I'd obviously bet on them straight up against any other team, but you mentioned the word résumé and typically that's what people mean by that.

I agree with all of this. Having said that, shouldn't the same hold true for Clemson, who is obviously the second best team in the nation? I'm guessing you will say no. What if Pitt was 11-1 like Georgia is? I'm guessing you would still say no, because 1) only the secsecsec and maybe the Big 10 would ever be considered to get two teams in the playoffs, and more importantly 2) the idea of a possible rematch of a game just played is asinine. Under no circumstance should an 11-1 conference runner up go ahead of a 12-1 conference champ. The reason this is even a possibility is "Bama" and nothing else. 

Everybody is rioting for an expansion of the playoffs, well here it is. Here's your first elimination game. 

I don't necessarily have a problem with a non-conference winner winning a title. The problem I have is that the team got an invitation over another conference's title winner. (And it isn't like all the other conferences had underdog, low ranked champs.) The current system is stupid and capricious. Other systems have their own biases, which is why conference autobids should be a part of the selection process. If all P5 conference champs have a spot, then there is a clear pre-season path to the playoffs. Any At-large spots can be doled out using a biased method, though I would hope that and seeding would be done with some transparent, pre-defined metrics taken into account. 

18 hours ago, satyanash said:

That's crazy. I had to check to be sure; the 1995 Nebraska team only had one win under that 22-point threshold, a 14-point win against Wazzu in Week 5. Same with 2013 FSU, a 14-point win against Boston College in Week 4.

1995 Nebraska played a more difficult regular season schedule than 2018 Alabama. They played three conference opponents that finished ranked in the Top 9. 

20 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

1995 Nebraska played a more difficult regular season schedule than 2018 Alabama. They played three conference opponents that finished ranked in the Top 9. 

Yeah, that 1995 NU team obliterated a murderers' row of teams.

#9 Kansas was crushed, 41-3.

#7 Kansas State lost 49-25.

#5 Colorado went down 44-21.

And of course, #2 Florida was eviscerated 66-24.

That's four teams that finished in the Top 10, defeated by an average margin of 32 points each. And the one team they only beat by 14? A Podunk Wazzu team that went 3-8 on the year. Weird.

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

#9 Kansas was crushed, 41-3.

#7 Kansas State lost 49-25.

#5 Colorado went down 44-21.

That's four teams that finished in the Top 10, defeated by an average margin of 32 points each. And the one team they only beat by 14? A Podunk Wazzu team that went 3-8 on the year. Weird.

Players just can't get up for every game-- not even the 95 Huskers, which IMO is the best college football team of all time.

(Although somehow time-warping and seeing them play the 2005 Longhorns would have been a lot of fun)

All P5 conferences play 8 conference games and three non-con games( against FBS teams)

Have a CCG and the five winners go to playoffs.

Fill the remainder with 3 three highest ranked teams using a BCS type poll system. To be eligible for playoffs all teams must play 11 FBS teams

1 hour ago, Deguello said:

Even if the 12-1 conference champ’s loss was to the 11-1 non-champ with a better resume?

”No circumstance” is bold. 

Wait what? 

I'm saying no matter how awesome Bama or Clemson or any other undefeated team looks, if they lose in the conference championship game, and finish 11-1, they should never go ahead of a team from another conference who won their conference and is sitting at 12-1.

Obviously there are are circumstances, such as last year, where putting Bama in was defensible, but Bama didn't play Georgia last year and there wasn't another conference champion with one loss. It's just absurd to put them into the playoffs with a team that just beat them last game, when there are other teams with a better record who won their conference. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Wait what? 

I'm saying no matter how awesome Bama or Clemson or any other undefeated team looks, if they lose in the conference championship game, and finish 11-1, they should never go ahead of a team from another conference who won their conference and is sitting at 12-1.

Obviously there are are circumstances, such as last year, where putting Bama in was defensible, but Bama didn't play Georgia last year and there wasn't another conference champion with one loss. It's just absurd to put them into the playoffs with a team that just beat them last game, when there are other teams with a better record who won their conference. 

Hard to play in a conference championship game and be 11-1, so I’m not sure what to make of that condition.

Alabama beats Clemson in an out of conference game.

Clemson crushes the ACC and finishes 12-1.

Alabama 12-0 plays Georgia 12-0 and Georgia wins a close game. 

Clemson 12-1 won a weaker conference. Alabama 12-1 beat Clemson but didn’t win their conference. You’d put Clemson in over Alabama if UGA and ND were undefeated?

Edited by Deguello
  • Like 1

NYD PROXY pre-Big12

Rose   Ohio State vs Washington

Sugar  Alabama vs Notre Dame

Cotton Texas vs Georgia

Orange Oklahoma vs Clemson

Fiesta Michigan vs Washington State

Big12 Era

Rose Ohio State vs Washington

Sugar SECCG Winner Bama vs Notre Dame

Fiesta (Big12 Champion) vs Michigan

Orange Clemson vs Georgia  SECCG L

As always, the pre-BCS bowls would have been just as good if not better.

Edited by notre dame joe
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Why you gotta bring this up man?  Shit!

oh, what's that?  Frazier just scored again...  sigh

I don't like the idea of conference autobids because some teams have much easier roads to winning their conference due to scheduling and what division they are or arent in.  If they ever go to autobids they need to first get rid of divisions and CCGs and make sure everyone eligible is playing the same number of conference games and FBS opponents first.

Also, I thought going into the year Clemson would be the second best team.  I don't now.  The ACC is terrible and the best team they have played seems likely to have been aggy and they were not impressive.  They almost lost to Syracuse.  I think whoever they get in the first round, seems like ND at this point, is going to beat them.  I think we see Bama-an ohio state university and Clemson-ND, giving us a rematch of the BCS snoozefest that featured an imaginary girlfriend.  And it will be almost as one sided as that game.

I don't get all the bitching from the #5-#16 teams who get "left out". Prior to the BCS, the polls decided everything. Not the best system but rarely did a #6 team have a compelling argument for deserving a shot. You don't like that your #6? Don't get the shit kicked out of you by Purdue. 

One of my favorite things about college football is that EVERY DAMN GAME MATTERS. I loathe the thought of an NFL type playoff system where the regular season is meaningless.

/old man rant 

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I don't get all the bitching from the #5-#16 teams who get "left out". Prior to the BCS, the polls decided everything. Not the best system but rarely did a #6 team have a compelling argument for deserving a shot. You don't like that your #6? Don't get the shit kicked out of you by Purdue. 

One of my favorite things about college football is that EVERY DAMN GAME MATTERS. I loathe the thought of an NFL type playoff system where the regular season is meaningless.

/old man rant 

That's the rub.

Bama can lose and still advance.

Clemson can lose and still advance.

ND can stay home and still advance.

16 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

That's the rub.

Bama can lose and still advance.

Clemson can lose and still advance.

ND can stay home and still advance.

Only two of those involve a game that would question "every game matters".

And only one of those two statements is true.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:43 PM, utee94 said:

Eh, that's a completely pro-sports driven view of the college postseason.  Which isn't surprising given that the author, Dan Wetzel, went to a college with no notable sports (UMass-Amherst).  And it's similarly not surprising that Dan Patrick would view it similarly, having gone to Dayton University.  They just have no idea what big-time college football is all about, where rivalries and conference championships are meaningful.  Guys like this always tend to want to make college football into an NFL-Lite, and I have zero desire for that to happen.

Hit the nail on the head. Fuck this nfl-lite crap.

Every game should matter and the regular season is what makes it interesting

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

/old man rant 

Here is the problem with that.

1. Alabama 12-0

2. Clemson 12-0

3. Notre Dame 12-0

4. Georgia 11-1

5. Oklahoma 11-1

6. Ohio State 11-1

7. Michigan 10-2

8. UCF 12-0 (Obviously they aren't near as good without Milton and probably don't deserve to be in because of that unfortunately)

Of those 8 teams, Michigan is the only one as it stands today that doesn't deserve to go into a playoff and settle a National Championship on the field.

I hope we kick the shit out of OU this Saturday, that being said, if they win and their only loss was a 3 point loss to us. Objectively speaking do you think they don't deserve a shot at playing for a title? If so you're pretty much saying we didn't deserve a shot in 2008 because we lost to Tech on the road on the last play of the game. Most on here unequivocally (myself included) believed we deserved a shot that year. People are human, we lost on the road at night to a top 10 team on the last play of the game. Now I know we went into the bowl game ranked 3rd so we would have gotten into a 4 team playoff regardless that year. I still don't see how going to 8 teams devalues any game. 8 is the limit for me, and 8 allows it to be settled on the field without subjectively leaving out a conference or even two because 13 people deemed it so.

Go to the drawing board, come up with a better ranking system similar to the BCS that puts a huge emphasis on efficiency ratings, SOR, and margin of victory. Take those 8 teams and whoever can win 3 games regardless of conference affiliation is your champion.

I don't like Baylor or TCU, but what happened to them (in part because we have incompetent conference leadership) in 2014 is stupid. They both essentially got left out because they didn't have Ohio State across their chest. In 2014 TCU was 2nd in total efficiency in the country, 3rd in the FPI, and 4th in SOR. They could have easily have been Ohio State that year. Now I know, I know, "Don't lose to Baylor by 3 and you're in". Well I could say the same thing about Ohio State who lost to a shitty Virginia Tech team at home. I could same thing to Oregon who lost by 7 to Arizona that year. Both got in. It is a beauty contest at 4 teams, and you just hope your team gets the golden ticket.

Sorry, that was a long rant

I would rather go back to winning conference and playing meaningfull games means more that a shot at this so called best team annointment.

Teams should look to play bigger, better games every week rather than worrying about losing one. Now feels like half the fans check out once their team loses its first game.

Bowl games used to be great... Now ehh?

On 11/28/2018 at 4:47 PM, BurntEyes said:

Your last point of starting the hype cycle pre-season is why I think the polls are worse. That said, I'm okay with agreeing to just as bad. Finally, we agree, preseason polls are never going away. I'd just like to see the value of polls diminish at least.

You're one of my favorite posters because I won't see you on here for a week and then you'll come in and just blast someone with 7 posts in a row.

It's like when you are flipping channels and catch yourself 5 rerun episodes of Fraiser later then don't watch an episode for years.

No sarcasm.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

/old man rant 

It wouldn't be meaningless if they would quit beating around the bush and give auto-bids to P5 champions.

Using the data of a BCS computer tally vs that of the committee vote on the CFP: the XII is still currently ahead of the (probable B1G champion)...

#/ CFP /BCS
1 Alabama Alabama 12-0 (0) Alabama Alabama 12-0 (0)
2 Clemson Clemson 12-0 (0) Clemson Clemson 12-0 (0)
3 Notre Dame Notre Dame 12-0 (0) Notre Dame Notre Dame 12-0 (0)
4 Georgia Georgia 11-1 (+1) Georgia Georgia 11-1 (+1)
5 Oklahoma Oklahoma 11-1 (+1) Oklahoma Oklahoma 11-1 (+1)
6 Ohio State Ohio State 11-1 (+4) Ohio State Ohio State 11-1 (+4)
7 Michigan Michigan 10-2 (-3) UCF UCF 11-0 (+2)
8 UCF UCF 11-0 (+1) Michigan Michigan 10-2 (-4)
9 Florida Florida 9-3 (+2) Florida Florida 9-3 (+3)
10 LSU LSU 9-3 (-3) LSU LSU 9-3 (-3)
11 Washington Washington 9-3 (+5) Washington Washington 9-3 (+5)
12 Penn State Penn State 9-3 (0) Penn State Penn State 9-3 (+2)
13 Washington State Washington State 10-2 (-5) Texas Texas 9-3 (0)
14 Texas Texas 9-3 (0) Washington State Washington State 10-2 (-6)
15 Kentucky Kentucky 9-3 (0) Kentucky Kentucky 9-3 (0)
16 West Virginia West Virginia 8-3 (-3) West Virginia West Virginia 8-3 (-5)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

OU or tOSU. No way Bama goes from 1st to 5th. Plus, Bama will keep it close. 

Before I was off the he opinion no way does bama get left out. But if they keep playing like this and don't make it close I am not sure. They really haven't played a real team until now.

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Before I was off the he opinion no way does bama get left out. But if they keep playing like this and don't make it close I am not sure. They really haven't played a real team until now.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, it’s actually possible Bama was way overrated this year.  Their schedule was pretty dog shit overall.

It doesn't matter. They can lose by 21 and still be ranked 4 after this.

Sure but look at how many SEC teams are in the top 20. It's a system set up to artificially inflate the top of the SEC. I mean short of Bama losing by 21, they should be in. The committee makes this shit up as they go. They will say, outside of today, Bama went undefeated all year and that's hard to do. 

8 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Big12 did all they could to get their guy in, and BOOM, the SECSECSEC happens.

Georgia and Bama gonna get in. 

There is a small part of me that wanted to see OU get in there just to see how good they would stack up against these SEC teams and Clemson.   Notice I didn't say Norte Dame because regardless of their record, they are the most overrated team in the top ten right now.  Right above LSU.   OU would dog stomp Norte Dame.  

But I comeback to Earth and there is no way on Earth I want those Land Thieves in contention to win a national title.  Screw that! 

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

There is a small part of me that wanted to see OU get in there just to see how good they would stack up against these SEC teams and Clemson.   Notice I didn't say Norte Dame because regardless of their record, they are the most overrated team in the top ten right now.  Right above LSU.   OU would dog stomp Norte Dame.  

But I comeback to Earth and there is no way on Earth I want those Land Thieves in contention to win a national title.  Screw that! 

Well, they go to playoffs, we get a much better bowl.

Fuck it. I hope Bama loses enough to get booted from the playoffs, maybe by 35, then we play em in Sugar.

17 minutes ago, ApocalyseTexas said:

So if Georgia wins over Bama what do y’all think will happen.  Who will be left out?

If Georgia wins then both Bama and Georgia will be in the playoff with Clemson and Notre Dame.

We will be in the Alamo Bowl.

I will be shocked if that is not how it goes in that situation.

Edited by Valmy77

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Sure but look at how many SEC teams are in the top 20. It's a system set up to artificially inflate the top of the SEC. I mean short of Bama losing by 21, they should be in. The committee makes this shit up as they go. They will say, outside of today, Bama went undefeated all year and that's hard to do. 

Yep. Totally a controlled system. 13 people are somehow better than computer rankings and 60 people in the AP polls.

Just now, mdmost said:

You people want an expanded playoff? This is how it happens. I hate OU but there is no way they should be left out of the playoff over Bama. Championships have to mean something. Losing by only 3 has to mean something. 

After we got fucked in '08, fuck'em

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

If Georgia wins then both Bama and Georgia will be in the playoff with Clemson and Notre Dame.

We will be in the Alamo Bowl.

I will be shocked if that is not how it goes in that situation.

Yeah, the officials need to help bama keep it close here though, its gettin out of hand. Down 14 now, they need to keep it under 20 for sure.

Just an off night for the best team in the country. They have been called that all year. They get in, then two SEC teams play in both sides of the bracket, and they hope for an epic rematch between Georgia and Bama.

Shits becoming like basketball.

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You people want an expanded playoff? This is how it happens. I hate OU but there is no way they should be left out of the playoff over Bama. Championships have to mean something. Losing by only 3 has to mean something. 

I think it's been obvious for a few years now, and certainly since the 4 team format, that championships don't mean shit.

Edited by phdhorn

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

I think it's been obvious for a few years now, and certainly since the 4 team format, that championships don't mean shit.

4 teams isn't the best obviously, but it's better than only 2. Thing is, now you have a bullshit corrupt system to pick the 4 teams. It's just a money grab.