Cleveland Browns Fire Hue Jackson

Vic Mackey

I posted this on the NFL thread, but I'll repost it here, because it's intriguing to me and I'm interested to hear others' thoughts:

If the Browns were smart, they would hire Lincoln Riley and reunite him with Mayfield.  And no, I'm not kidding.  But the Browns are not smart, so they will hire someone really shitty instead.

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I posted this on the NFL thread, but I'll repost it here, because it's intriguing to me and I'm interested to hear others' thoughts:

Why the hell would Riley leave OU? At college, especially at a program like that, you are the king. You recruit your own players. You have full control and can bench whomever with no real consequences. He can coach for damn near 20 years like Stoops if he wants. You go to Cleveland or really any NFL team and have a couple of down years, you will soon be looking for a new job. Lincoln is going nowhere.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why the hell would Riley leave OU? At college, especially at a program like that, you are the king. You recruit your own players. You have full control and can bench whomever with no real consequences. He can coach for damn near 20 years like Stoops if he wants. You go to Cleveland or really any NFL team and have a couple of down years, you will soon be looking for a new job. Lincoln is going nowhere.

Fair point, but I can definitely see how the constant grind of recruiting can wear a coach out.  If I had to guess, I bet NFL coaches work less hours and have more breaks than college coaches.  Yes, NFL has a longer season but recruiting had turned into a year round full time thing.

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If he's smart, he'll play this up for a raise.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Hue Jackson will have made something like $4M per win once the Browns pay off his contract.

13 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

More money and way, way less work. College coaching now a 24/7/365 job, lose more than 1 game and alumni start up with pitchforks type job

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

The Browns are just a total clown show.  What do they expect out of a head coach?

Jackson had shit to work with when he arrived, and he has his team competing week in and week out now.  

The Browns will regress again because of this move.  

What a terrible take. Hue Jackson was the Jeff Fisher of that team. There was more than enough talent on that squad to win at least once last season.

I don't see it happening with Lincoln Riley, not that the NFL couldn't lure him away, but he can do better than the Browns if that's his choosing.  Is this college vs NFL grind verified?  I just assumed if you are a successful coach that it's pretty much a year around job regardless.  Nobody is handing someone 5 million a year and thinking they aren't doing anything for months out of the year.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What a terrible take. Hue Jackson was the Jeff Fisher of that team. There was more than enough talent on that squad to win at least once last season.

Hue Jackson is a clown.  I have watched most of the Browns game this year and they have actually managed to get worse every week.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

The Browns are just a total clown show.  What do they expect out of a head coach?

Jackson had shit to work with when he arrived, and he has his team competing week in and week out now.  

Win more than 10% of his games???  The Browns are indeed a dumpster fire, but Hue was part of the problem, not the solution. 

35 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Others have already mentioned the time/grind of recruiting.

Here are some other factors:

• In the NFL, you have a lot more help with assistant coaches/analysts than you are allowed in college.
  • In the NFL, he has a lot more time with players (who are not going to school, etc.) to install his system and continue to develop his offensive scheme.
  • You don't have to be "perfect" in the NFL.  In College, you basically have to win all but 1 game in order to make the playoffs.  You only need to win 60+% of your games a year in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Others have already mentioned the time/grind of recruiting.

Here are some other factors:

• In the NFL, you have a lot more help with assistant coaches/analysts than you are allowed in college.
  • In the NFL, he has a lot more time with players (who are not going to school, etc.) to install his system and continue to develop his offensive scheme.
  • You don't have to be "perfect" in the NFL.  In College, you basically have to win all but 1 game in order to make the playoffs.  You only need to win 60+% of your games a year in the NFL.

NFL is much more cut throat. And at a program like OU, you are going to be pretty good almost every year. And in college, you can develop your scheme and then recruit players to fit that scheme and keep winning. OU did it with Stoops his entire tenure. And let's not pretend the NFL doesn't have turnover. It has a ton. Plus, you are now dealing with a different element. These aren't college kids. These are grown men making tons of money with huge egos you have to manage. Sure there are egos in college but you can control those much better as a head coach there opposed to the pros. Look at Saban. He went to the pros and flamed out quickly and now is a legend in college. You think he would ever go back pro? Not a chance. I mean Lincoln already went to the playoffs as a first year head coach and has his team in contention again. Not sure why he would leave a situation like that for the Browns. I get the Baker Mayfield connection but that's not enough.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Jackson went 3-36-1. Tough to regress much farther than that. 

23 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Hue Jackson is a clown.  I have watched most of the Browns game this year and they have actually managed to get worse every week.

23 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Win more than 10% of his games???  The Browns are indeed a dumpster fire, but Hue was part of the problem, not the solution. 

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yep yep and yep.

Go rewatch Hard Knocks and you can see for yourself that most of the coaches and players thought Mr Bus Driver was an imbecile.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Did I read that the Browns are $59M under the salary cap??!??!?

Just now, Message Board User said:

Surprised about Haley - I’d have figured he would be interim HC.

Why?  He's been horrible too and undercutting Hue, which is a Haley staple.  Apparently Al Saunders is rumored to be interim HC and come in and work with Baker.  

Dorsey may end up blowing all the capital Brown built without making the playoffs.  Next hire is crucial but the coaching staff Dorsey foisted upon Jackson was a recipe for disaster.