Right Wing Extremist Violence Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Meanwhile, in a Houston Kroger parking lot, another Trumpkin is upset.

Let's give it up for the Kroger employee acting like the grocery store is some sort of Top Secret installation where you can't take cameras. 

Edited by Eggo

14 hours ago, tjhooker said:

God forbid make a fairly logical jump they are both immigrants due to fairly thick ascents.  Oatmeal you are a racist!

14 hours ago, tjhooker said:

It doesn't except according to many of y'all there probably is no Trump supporting immigrants since he hates them all. 

Usage and agreement errors in two consecutive posts. English must not be your native language. 

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I served in the Army in the early 90s.  Never saw any action outside of bars in Hawaii, El Paso/Juarez, and Lawton, Oklahoma.  I have relatives and friends who will bring it up as some kind of awesome thing I did.  If they knew and saw the kind of shit my 20-year-old self and my buddies did while in the military, they would ask me to seek counseling with a pastor or swear that it was a real-life adaptation of the movie Stripes, only with a really hard R-rating.  Getting laid and getting paid were the most important things.  To us, serving under Clinton was no different than serving under Bush, because we were so far removed from them.
I think the hero worship is way overboard for the most part, but I still appreciate it when it's directed towards friends of mine who stayed in and served in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I fucking hate it when somebody "thanks me for my service" as the saying goes, because they are putting me, at least in my mind, on par with folks who served in those two areas.  I've even told a couple of folks "don't thank me - your tax dollars kept me in booze for a few years", and they think I'm trying to be funny.
I think it's based on two things.
9/11 is the big one.  A whole shitload of people gave up civilian careers and lives to join up, and/or many who were already serving stayed in ( a lot of folks joined under Reagan when the military ramped up, and they were hitting their 20 years not long after 9/11).  That is really hard to understand for a lot of folks who have no experience with the draft. Numerous and documented cases of people who up and joined up, even though they didn't have to, which brings me to my second point:
Military service is becoming really rare, particularly with the WWII and Korean vets going rapidly, and the Vietnam vets starting to go as well.  I remember about 10 years ago, I was working at a large company, and our group had over 100 employees in it.  We had a big lunch/party (had just shipped a product and won some contracts), and it was close to Veteran's Day.  Group president asked the veterans to stand - there was four of us (two of us born in the 70s, two born in the 60s).  None of us saw combat and one was only a vet because he got into a service academy, and then finished his requirements as quickly as possible so he could make good money in the private sector, and another had joined for the GI Bill and because his girlfriend was pregnant.  It was the easiest way for him to get through college with a kid.
A lot of my high school friends served, but then again, a lot of my high school friends were in JROTC with me, so we were biased towards the military. If I walk into a room of random 40--somethings and 30-somethings, the amount who actually served in the military is going to be really low.
That last point is a huge problem - I think it's a major part of why our government is so willing to engage in frequent military conflicts, and I think it will only get worse as my generation moves into more and more power.

I grew up a usaf brat under my dad, who retired at O6 after overcoming some rough odds having started out as an older, reserve O3 who went active duty when I was young.

I had s lot of friends whose parents were enlisted, and saw with my own eyes the difference in quality of life afforded to those who weren’t commissioned. Whether by necessity, sense of duty, or other factors I respected that. I never had ‘officer dependents syndrome’ like a lot of my peers.

So out of respect for their circumstances I try to thank enlisted folk for their service...especially if I see them traveling in uniform.

Now the whole obsession with flags and ‘patriotism’ the far right seem to hold...I don’t get that at all.

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

"Houston man DESTROYS immigrant woman with FACTS and LOGIC"

Ben Shapiro totally DESTROYS SJW high school lesbian wearing flannel shirt and wallet chain and whose FAVORITE vape juice is called "BONESAW" who is ALSO the bassist for a WHITESNAKE cover BAND and her stepdad RONNIE is a total DICK about her sexuality but PAYS her phone bill AND he's nice enough, really, but THEY don't see eye to eye on many issues like for EXAMPLE he uses way TOO MUCH DVR memory on 'Ice Road Truckers' because instead of choosing to RECORD each NEW episode he chooses EVERY EPISODE and unnecessarily has multiple recordings of the SAME episode and anyway BEN SHAPIRO totally OWNED her with ONE SENTENCE.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Missouri man charged with trying to burn down local Planned Parenthood clinic
Firefighters found the remains of a Molotov cocktail and two 5-gallon buckets near spilled gasoline inside the clinic in February.

190304-wesley-brian-kaster-ac-901p_b6a65

KANSAS CITY, Mo.— A 42-year-old Columbia, Missouri, man has been charged with trying to burn down a local Planned Parenthood clinic last month, federal prosecutors said Monday.

Wesley Brian Kaster was arrested Saturday after investigators searched his vehicle and found evidence linking him to the fire at the Planned Parenthood-Columbia Health Center. No one was hurt in the attack, which happened in the pre-dawn hours when the building was empty.

Kaster faces a preliminary charge of using fire or an explosive to maliciously damage a building that receives federal funding, but that could change. The FBI had said it was investigating the attack as a possible hate crime.

In an affidavit included with the charging documents, FBI agent Curtis Bryant said surveillance video showed a distinctive minivan park in the clinic's lot at around 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 10 and a suspect, believed to be Kaster, break the clinic's framed glass door, place what appeared to be two stacked 5-gallon buckets inside the building and then throw a Molotov cocktail through the door.

After watching from the sidewalk for a few minutes, Kaster then went back inside the building, as no fire or smoke could be seen in the videos. Kaster then fled as two unidentified pedestrians approached but returned at around 4 a.m. holding an "undiscernible" item and approached the broken door. Smoke began billowing out about a minute later and Kaster fled, Bryant wrote.

The clinic's sprinkler system extinguished the blaze before firefighters arrived. Only the front room with the broken door was damaged, Bryant wrote.

Firefighters found the remains of the Molotov cocktail and two 5-gallon buckets near spilled gasoline inside the clinic.

The Columbia clinic, which reopened Feb. 18, does not currently provide abortions.

• Like 1

On February 28, 2019 at 8:45 AM, Homercles said:

Now the whole obsession with flags and ‘patriotism’ the far right seem to hold...I don’t get that at all.

It's a form of idolatry. People have a tendency to get caught up more in the symbol than in that which it represents. Hug the flag while trampling on the Constitution and assaulting the institutions of the federal government. 

• Like 2

The Department of Homeland Security tried to warn us and the Republicans knifed it. (link)

Eight years ago, I warned of a singular threat — the resurgence of right-wing extremist activity and associated violence in the United States as a result of the 2008 presidential election, the financial crisis and the stock market crash. My intelligence report, meant only for law enforcement, was leaked by conservative media.

A political backlash ensued because of an objection to the label “right-wing extremism.” The report also rightly pointed out that returning military veterans may be targeted for recruitment by extremists. Republican lawmakers demanded then-Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano rescind my report. The American Legion formally requested an apology to veterans. Some in Congress called for me to be fired. Amid the turmoil, my warning went unheeded by Republicans and Democrats. Unfortunately, the Department of Homeland Security caved to the political pressure: Work related to violent right-wing extremism was halted. Law enforcement training also stopped. My unit was disbanded. And, one-by-one, my team of analysts left for other employment. By 2010, there were no intelligence analysts at DHS working domestic terrorism threats.

Since 2008, though, the body count from numerous acts of violent right-wing terrorism continued to rise steadily with very little media interest, political discussion or concern from our national leaders. As this threat grew, government resources were scaled back, law enforcement counterterrorism training was defunded and policies to counter violent extremism narrowed to focus solely on Muslim extremism. 

Maybe I’m just not paying close enough attention to this  but why is any remark that doesn’t fully support Israel or Zionism automatically “anti-semitism” which mean literally “anti-Jewish.”   That’s like a catholic saying if I claim I believe in God but I’m not a catholic that means I’m automatically really an atheist. 

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Maybe I’m just not paying close enough attention to this  but why is any remark that doesn’t fully support Israel or Zionism automatically “anti-semitism” which mean literally “anti-Jewish.”

Because Israeli money has corrupted our political system and it really is on both sides.

Netanyahu is more aligned with the Republicans so their selective outrage sirens go off when a democrat criticizes the nation of Israel.  They paint it as anti-semitic when it’s really anti-Netanyahu/Israeli government.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

He’s not wrong though.

Yeah, but it’s a false equivalency.  One side has Nazis marching and committing actual hate crimes with zero accountability from their party leaders. 

Chuck Todd is the epitome of lazy journalism that is too morally bankrupt to see the truth and just blames everyone instead of a more nuanced and honest assessment.

Yeah, but it’s a false equivalency.  One side has Nazis marching and committing actual hate crimes with zero accountability from their party leaders. 
Chuck Todd is the epitome of lazy journalism that is too morally bankrupt to see the truth and just blames everyone instead of a more nuanced and honest assessment.

I didn’t (and don’t think he did) suggest that there was an equivalency. To ignore that there is plenty of anti-semitism in both parties is a failure in vigilance.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He’s still a thing?

No, he's not, but it's all the trolls and CHUDs have.

Right-wing anti-Semitism: Actual Nazis, mass murder, vandalizing cemeteries and temples

Left-wing anti-Semitism: Criticism of Israel's "let's murder women and children" policy

BOTH SIDES

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 11:18 AM, Lurch said:

He absolutely IS still a thing.

How do Dems support him? I vote Dem, how am I supporting him? Has he ever been or even desired to be a standard bearer for the Dems or the left or the libs or whatever the radio gods are calling non-adherents these days?

This is a really good but long read on the history of racism over the past 100 years in America and it’s influence.

I’ll post the end in spoilers below but the full article is worth a read:

White Nationalism’s Deep American Roots

A long-overdue excavation of the book that Hitler called his “bible,” and the man who wrote it

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/04/adam-serwer-madison-grant-white-nationalism/583258/

America has always grappled with, in the words of the immigration historian John Higham, two “rival principles of national unity.” According to one, the U.S. is the champion of the poor and the dispossessed, a nation that draws its strength from its pluralism. According to the other, America’s greatness is the result of its white and Christian origins, the erosion of which spells doom for the national experiment.

People of both political persuasions like to tell a too-simple story about the course of this battle: World War II showed Americans the evil of racism, which was vanquished in the 1960s. The Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act brought nonwhites into the American polity for good. The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 forever banished the racial definition of American identity embodied in the 1924 immigration bill, forged by Johnson and Reed in their crusade to save Nordic Americans from “race suicide.”

The truth is that the rivalry never ended, and Grantism, despite its swift wartime eclipse, did not become extinct. The Nazis, initially puzzled by U.S. hostility, underestimated the American commitment to democracy. As the Columbia historian Ira Katznelson writes in Fear Itself: The New Deal and the Origins of Our Time (2013), the South remained hawkish toward Nazi Germany because white supremacists in the U.S. didn’t want to live under a fascist government. What they wanted was a herrenvolk democracy, in which white people were free and full citizens but nonwhites were not.

“It was America that taught us that a nation should not open its doors equally to all nations,” Hitler told The New York Times.

The Nazis failed to appreciate the significance of that ideological tension. They saw allegiance to the American creed as a weakness. But U.S. soldiers of all backgrounds and faiths fought to defend it, and demanded that their country live up to it. Their valor helped defeat first the Nazis, and then the American laws that the Nazis had so admired. What the Nazis saw as a weakness turned out to be a strength, and it destroyed them.

Yet historical amnesia, the excision of the memory of how the seed of racism in America blossomed into the Third Reich in Europe, has allowed Grantism to be resurrected with a new name. In the conflict between the Trump administration and its opponents, those rival American principles of exclusion and pluralism confront each other more starkly than they have since Grant’s own time. And the ideology that has gained ground under Trump may well not disappear when Trump does. Grant’s philosophical framework has found new life among extremists at home and abroad, and echoes of his rhetoric can be heard from the Republican base and the conservative media figures the base trusts, as well as—once again—in the highest reaches of government.

The resurrection of race suicide as white genocide can be traced to the white supremacist David Lane, who claimed that “the term ‘racial integration’ is only a euphemism for genocide,” and whose infamous “fourteen words” manifesto, published in the 1990s, distills his credo: “We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.” Far-right intellectuals in Europe speak of “the great replacement” of Europeans by nonwhite immigrants and refugees.

In the corridors of American power, Grant’s legacy is evident. Jeff Sessions heartily praised the 1924 immigration law during an interview with Steve Bannon, Trump’s former campaign chief. Bannon regularly invokes what has become a cult text among white nationalists, the 1973 dystopian French novel The Camp of the Saints, in which the “white world” is annihilated by mass immigration. Stephen Miller, a former Senate aide to Sessions and now among the president’s top policy advisers, spent years warning from his perch in Sessions’s office that immigration from Muslim countries was a greater threat than immigration from European countries. The president’s stated preference for Scandinavian immigrants over those from Latin America or Africa, and his expressed disdain for the Fourteenth Amendment’s guarantee of birthright citizenship, are Grantism paraphrased.

That nations make decisions about appropriate levels of immigration is not inherently evil or fascist. Nor does the return of Grantian ideas to mainstream political discourse signal an inevitable march to Holocaust-level crimes against humanity. But to recognize the homegrown historical antecedents of today’s rhetoric is to call attention to certain disturbing assumptions that have come to define the current immigration debate in America—in particular, that intrinsic human worth is rooted in national origin, and that a certain ethnic group has a legitimate claim to permanent political hegemony in the United States. The most benignly intentioned mainstream-media coverage of demographic change in the U.S. has a tendency to portray as justified the fear and anger of white Americans who believe their political power is threatened by immigration—as though the political views of today’s newcomers were determined by genetic inheritance rather than persuasion.

The danger of Grantism, and its implications for both America and the world, is very real. External forces have rarely been the gravest threat to the social order and political foundations of the United States. Rather, the source of greatest danger has been those who would choose white purity over a diverse democracy. When Americans abandon their commitment to pluralism, the world notices, and catastrophe follows.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:45 AM, Homercles said:

Meh.  if it didn't hold value on the left, they wouldn't trample or burn the flag with such love.

FTR, I agree.  The flag is a symbol of freedom and liberty...or SHOULD BE, IMHO.  When people do what they are going to do with no repercussions from the state, it is an absolute demonstration of said values, intended or not.

I'm not saying I would celebrate someone desecrating the flag, but in my mind, they are only emboldening the values Ole Glory represents.  They damned sure do not rate to be assaulted or arrested for it.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:45 AM, Homercles said:

It’s nationalism in its purest form.  The American flag has some magical holy power for these people and it is beyond reproach.  

The thought of the American flag ever being seen in the same way most people view the Nazi flag seems like an impossibility and incomprehensible.  

They don’t understand the flag is only as benevolent as the values of the society waving it. 

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s nationalism in its purest form.  The American flag has some magical holy power for these people and it is beyond reproach.  

The thought of the American flag ever being seen in the same way most people view the Nazi flag seems like an impossibility and incomprehensible.  

They don’t understand the flag is only as benevolent as the values of the society waving it. 

And much of the doom & gloom crowd ignores how much is right about what the flag represents. Writing it off as worthless is equal folly. 

Ughhhhhh

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Is Target of Anti-Semitic Graffiti in New York

A poster hanging on the walls of New York City subway stations advertises a new book celebrating the life and work of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, calling the Supreme Court justice a “trail blazer” and a “history maker.”

On Tuesday, the advertisement at one Brooklyn subway stop included another message: an anti-Semitic slur and a swastika scrawled over her face.

The poster, which was hanging at the Nassau Avenue stop on the G line in the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn, was defaced with the phrase “Die, Jew” and another profane slur written in capital letters in what appeared to be black marker. Underneath the expletive, which was punctuated with an exclamation point, was a swastika drawn over Justice Ginsburg’s lips.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/nyregion/ruth-bader-ginsburg-poster-swastika.html

21 hours ago, slorch said:

And much of the doom & gloom crowd ignores how much is right about what the flag represents. Writing it off as worthless is equal folly. 

No we get it.  

We understand the flag represents the memory of the sacrifices men and women made for our freedom.  

We also understand we’ve been taught to interpret the flag this way which happens to be a convenient jingoistic form of control that can be exploited by our political leaders when it suits them. 

We hate that last part. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

I was perusing Anning's twitter feed and my god....he makes Steve King look like a raving leftist.  How the fucking fuck does this guy hold any position of power?    

Ooof I did the same after seeing Egg Boy on my timeline.

It was mildly reassuring and nauseating that we aren’t the only country that elects complete and utter bastards.

Ooof I did the same after seeing Egg Boy on my timeline.

It was mildly reassuring and nauseating that we aren’t the only country that elects complete and utter bastards.

Australia has some SERIOUS issues with this shit. We like to think they’re all nice folks with cool accents. They aren’t.

I'm missing it.  help me out.  I read it with the 'pretend notion' that one of my sons was the perp.  Neither freaking cover warms the heart very much... nor should it.