2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Gotta brag on us people today. Yesterday the woman sent me a text at 10AM saying a dog was lost at her work. I told her not to worry about as it probably knows where it lives and just went exploring. Well 5PM comes around and she tells me it's still there and they called animal control of one city and they said it was out of their jurisdiction and the animal control of another said they had been trying to catch it since FRIDAY (trying really hard apparently). Well I wasn't going to let some random dog freeze to death or come close to it so I go out to her job at 8 last night with water, a blanket, and some HEB chicken to help out. I get there and sure enough there is a cold looking dog just sleeping on the grass with no shelter, but right next to it is a middle aged lady laying there with complete winter gear on and she stayed with it until it was eventually picked up with wind chills in the teens. Good to see people willing to help out a dog that isn't even theirs.

• Like 2

Saturday will be interesting.  AM snow, then straight up rain mid-day through late night with some snow trailing it up into Sunday.  Hopefully the rain melts off enough snow that we don't end up with any more than we currently have.

Long term, it looks like a slow thaw, which is what we need with thus much god damned snow.  Also, lots of high 20's and sunny, which helps melts snow quite a bit.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Aaaaaaaaaaaand Weather Channel now calling for 4-8" between Saturday and Sunday AM.  With some rain and ice all rolled in there.

Between this and the complete meltdown going on in Ames, I'm going to just be outside breaking shit all afternoon.

35 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Lol sucks man. Especially with that rain mixed in.

National Weather Service and Accuweather still going for very little accumulation.  So I'm hoping they're right.

In my experience, when you see conflicting forecasts, it means no one has a damn clue and it could be anything from a nice snow-melting rain, to 8 inches of snow.

National Weather Service officially on the 3-5" bandwagon now.

Jesus titty fucking Christ.  It won't end.  It won't ever end.  I'm just going to curl up in a ball and start crying (yes Parlaiment, I'm a pussy), while I forgot that it's really only been going on since the last week of January (but feels so much longer).

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Lousy Smarch weather.

Honestly this wouldn't bug me so much if it weren't for how much nicer the forecast looked just yesterday.  We just went from "it's going to rain and melt snow" to "fuck you, fuckers.  Here's a bunch of snow you have no place to store".

8 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Mods should probably move this to IPIHB, so much pussy in here.

Or the "Buncha Guys From The Northern. U.S. Talking About Unsurprising Cold/Snow Weather In The Northern U.S. In Forum Where The Weather Where Most Of The Posters Live Is Nothing Like That" thread.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Or the "Buncha Guys From The Northern. U.S. Talking About Unsurprising Cold/Snow Weather In The Northern U.S. In Forum Where The Weather Where Most Of The Posters Live Is Nothing Like That" thread.

That's the thing - we're all surprised.  I know you guys think we live in igloos and that there's snow on the ground 10 months out of the year once you get north of I-40, but it's not the case at all.

This is a record winter in many parts of the northern US.  From snow totals, to cold, to the intensity of the blizzards.  Your lack of surprise is based in an inaccurate perception.  Those of us who live in it are a bit surprised by this.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Exactly. This thread gets no more traffic except for the four northerners who keep talking about snow.

50 minutes ago, Parliament said:

To be fair, your winters down there are kinda boring, nttawwt.  The traffic will flip in a few weeks, when we're done moving snow.

Oh the traffic will flip in a few weeks alright, when you fuckers all start driving north from the RGV.

• Like 1

or just dont read it.

Exactly. I hate cold, but I’m a weather dork so I follow the weather fairly closely. I’m not Frankie....errr, PhD. level dorky, but I do enjoy the discussions about the weather. There is absolutely no way I could deal with the winters up north, just as there is now way most of the people up there could deal with our summers.

32 minutes ago, Hate said:

Exactly. I hate cold, but I’m a weather dork so I follow the weather fairly closely. I’m not Frankie....errr, PhD. level dorky, but I do enjoy the discussions about the weather. There is absolutely no way I could deal with the winters up north, just as there is now way most of the people up there could deal with our summers.

I think we could transition to southern summers more easily than you guys would transition to northern winters.

It's not some kind of bullshit "we're tougher than you" shit, it's just that there's less of a difference between our summers than our winters.  Our high temp is probably 10-15 degrees less than yours, max.  Everyone up north has had 100 degree heat in the summer.  We don't get 105 and beyond, and we sure as shit don't get a month or two straight of it, but we get it.  I'm sure we'd bitch about the heat, but it's within the realm of something we've had to deal with with some semblance of regularity.

Our winter low temp is probably 50 degrees lower than yours.  You guys never see subzero.  Our overall temperature spread from low to high is ridiculous.  Basically, your hot isn't anywhere as much hotter than our cold is colder.  If that makes sense.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Makes total sense and why I don't live in Iowa, or anywhere in the upper midwest.  Great people; intolerable weather.  

I was talking to a guy from the east coast once, and climate came up and the conversation went something like this:

Him:  It's cold as hell all the time there, right?

Me:  No.  It gets to be 100 in the summer.

Him:  How bad is it in the winter?

Me:  -20 is a pretty sure bet most years.

Him:  That's 120 degree swing over the course of the year.  Human beings aren't designed for that.