The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing

tantric superman

17 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yeah, in my hood there are a dozen or so signs for local city/county races but almost no state-wide signs.  I have a Beto sign up and I recall seeing on Abbott sign but that's it. 

I haven't seen many Abbott signs anywhere in my part of Houston, but then again, there's no room since de Moral Mealer (aka, Mattress Mac's bitch) has taken up every available space for her giant green signs. 

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They’re still voting R, they just feel a little shy about advertising it. 

I don't think this is the case in my 'hood, multiple vehicles with "Let's Go Brandon" stickers on their back windshields and bumpers. My little informal straw poll that is my conservative neighborhood has me thinking that it's not about shyness but about energy and enthusiasm and Abbott just doesn't inspire the masses like Cruz did or maybe it was a more important election or perceived to be, as most people fall into the trap of "Texas will always have an R governor, what's the point".

11 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

In my very conservative neighborhood, in 2018 there were many Cruz signs in yards. Same neighborhood in 2022 (I know, governor not senate so it's different, I guess), there are zero signs save one BETO sign in the yard of one of the houses on the entrance. Nothing else. I don't quite know what to make of that.

I'm choosing to believe those Cruz voters are embarrassed to admit it in public because deep down they know they are pieces of shit, but are going to yank that R lever like they are starting a mower.

Edited by Biff Tannen
finished thread, hope you are right. maybe they will stay home.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm choosing to believe those Cruz voters are embarrassed to admit it in public because deep down they know they are pieces of shit, but are going to yank that R lever like they are starting a mower.

Same as it ever was.

I have no evidence but it doesn't seem that the Beto campaign or even supporters are pushing the yard signs like in '18.

Perhaps they had some negative impact by reminding more casual Cruz voters to show up at the polls. It can also encourage the strong GOP supporters to get their yard signs up. They love signs and flags.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have no evidence but it doesn't seem that the Beto campaign or even supporters are pushing the yard signs like in '18.

Perhaps they had some negative impact by reminding more casual Cruz voters to show up at the polls. It can also encourage the strong GOP supporters to get their yard signs up. They love signs and flags.

In Austin there is no point. And I think most people are thinking they already know who they are voting and are just waiting their turn to yank the lever against these fucking fascists

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Abbott's problem is that he's at least trying to look like he's working and leading the state and that doesn't excite the base -- owning the libs is what excites the base.  

Abbott's campaign needs to lock him in a room with twitter and have him spend all day arguing with muppets and shit like Traitor Ted, and that will get his people excited.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Beto and his crew are sending out signs to counties for free, but they can't seem to get enough out.  Collier is sending signs to folks for a donation as small as $4.  Collier is building a big following in North and East Texas, btw.  

This yard sign thing has been an oddity for sure.  Especially the lack of republican signs on a statewide basis.  A few Abbotts out there but haven't seen one of any of the down ballot R candidates.    Waxahachie drive through sampling was about 8 houses with Beto and 1 with Abbott.  Nice neighborhood too.   

I know my friend and I have dispersed over 2000 Beto signs so far throughout mainly rural Texas.  Beto signs, like 4x4s and 4x6s as well as yard signs get targeted nightly.  They leave the Collier, Garza and the others pretty much undisturbed.     There is a lot of intimidation going on concerning signs and people who put them up.  We had a Dem candidate tour come through our county, and I put up a sign in this little town that basically said "Dem meeting this way ======>"   It was in the right of way right by some self storage sheds.  Within the hour, the owner was messaging us through facebook we better come take it down.  Three people had already called him and harrassed him for being a Democrat.  In a town of like 500 people.   It's fucking ludicrous.

It's reached KKK levels of unabashed harrassment in some areas, so that might be why you don't see more Dem signs, even in the suburbs.    

We've got a lot of these out, wanted people to start thinking team, not just Beto.   

I'm hoping the lack of R signs is an indication of over confidence, or a general lack of interest.  

TEX ST Candidate signs proof-02.jpg

TEX ST Candidate signs proof-03.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

On 10/10/2022 at 12:51 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

All great points. 

I rarely watch local channels so I have no idea about the types of ads that Beto broadcasts but I think the following would be effective:

Are you a teacher, retired teacher or know one? Abbott has fought to keep your income below the national average.  Show a few retired teachers lamenting how long it's been since their monthly check has increased. For many, it's never occurred. 2004 is the answer, btw.  And how laughable it is when Abbott talks about how teachers in Texas can earn 100K.

Remember your favorite teacher from high school? She's likely struggling to get by now. Thanks greg.

Great idea Eddie.  I have reached out to Collier's staff to see if they can put some talking points on this together for us.  So we can state facts with citations when we talk to teachers or retired teachers.    

• Hook 'Em 1

I support Beto, but I live in the heart of mouth breather county. I'm not going to get my cows shot, fields burned or fences trashed by putting up a Beto sign. I put it up down at the Farm to Market road intersection a mile away. I do have a Beto sticker on my car.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, RPM said:

I support Beto, but I live in the heart of mouth breather county. I'm not going to get my cows shot, fields burned or fences trashed by putting up a Beto sign. I put it up down at the Farm to Market road intersection a mile away. I do have a Beto sticker on my car.

We looked at a property out in rural Texas. Driving out the dirt road, several of the homesteads (there's only like a dozen in total) had Trump signs out on the fence by the gate. It wasn't THE reason we passed, but it definitely sticks in your mind. 

44 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

The reason is you woke types are REALLY triggered by Cruz signs, ha ha ha..

Nobody really cares about hot wheels so you don't get as many liberal tears with an Abbott sign. 

Not worth the effort to put up the sign.  But sure as shit will vote for him because fentan y'all.    

here's your daily reminder to take your meds everyone!

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I put my Beto sign up on Saturday morning and had a canvasser knock on my door right before the big fourth down stop against OU.  

did you shoot them?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

here's your daily reminder to take your meds everyone!

did you shoot them?

Thought about chasing them down after I went upstairs and realized I missed a big play.

If Beto wanted my vote, he wouldn't send out his canvassers during college football days! 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I put my Beto sign up on Saturday morning and had a canvasser knock on my door right before the big fourth down stop against OU.  

Why would a canvasser knock on your door if you have a sign up? I feel like if you have a sign, you're going to vote.

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Why would a canvasser knock on your door if you have a sign up? I feel like if you have a sign, you're going to vote.

It was more "what's your voting plan, do you know where to go, do you know when you can start voting" 

Don’t tease me with that “commercial polling groups are missing these groups (women, young voters and new registrants)” and we are all in for a good shock on Election Night across America. I can’t handle that

image.gif.cca51a1bd874027d1a11e26feaaa3e29.gif

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

It was more "what's your voting plan, do you know where to go, do you know when you can start voting" 

Yeah, that's pretty much the basic GOTV strategy now.  If people take the time to plan something out, the more likely they will follow through.   "Do you know where your polling location is?   Do you need any help finding out when they are open?  Who are you going to vote with? Maybe go have lunch afterwards, or run down some shopping," etc.     The good ones will toss in a little "good chance we'll contact you after the election, to see if you had any problems casting your votes."    

Kind of puts a little extra social pressure on folks in a good way.  And we do follow up, particularly in areas we suspect intimidation and other nefarious bullshit going on from the right.  

On 10/11/2022 at 12:13 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

In Austin there is no point. And I think most people are thinking they already know who they are voting and are just waiting their turn to yank the lever against these fucking fascists so they can take their selfies with their “I Voted” stickers and post them on social media.

Fixed, given that it’s Austin.

10 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the basic GOTV strategy now.  If people take the time to plan something out, the more likely they will follow through.   "Do you know where your polling location is?   Do you need any help finding out when they are open?  Who are you going to vote with? Maybe go have lunch afterwards, or run down some shopping," etc.     The good ones will toss in a little "good chance we'll contact you after the election, to see if you had any problems casting your votes."    

Kind of puts a little extra social pressure on folks in a good way.  And we do follow up, particularly in areas we suspect intimidation and other nefarious bullshit going on from the right.  

Though it’s ironic I was even on the list of people to canvass, considering I vote in every election but I guess I may be considered a “new” voter on their list since I went inactive in 2020/2021 when I lived out of state. Though I voted in the Dem primary and the run-off 

I'd be interested to know what the hell Beto is doing with all that cash he raised. I see Abbott ads all the time that slam Beto... including one on Telemundo when I was watching Exatlon. 

Occasionally see a Beto ad with the trauma surgeon, but it doesn't really seem to hit that hard. 

1 minute ago, DaysOff said:

Exactly. I don't watch much TV but I shouldn't be seeing the crippled man more. Where are the Lincoln Project type ads? There's tons of cash and material to be had.

There's the could been worse ads, but they seem to have slowed. 

I feel like you could just get a video of the Uvalde parents for 30 seconds. On their Twitter feeds it seems like those folks absolutely hate Greg Abbott. 

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

There's the could been worse ads, but they seem to have slowed. 

I feel like you could just get a video of the Uvalde parents for 30 seconds. On their Twitter feeds it seems like those folks absolutely hate Greg Abbott. 

There’s one with the mom of the girl identified by her chuck Taylors, that I’ve seen several times. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing