CA fires: 75k homes evacuated in SoCal, NorCal town of 26k destroyed

clapclapclap

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-wildfires/thousands-flee-three-swift-moving-california-blazes-idUSKCN1NE0WQ

PARADISE, Calif. (Reuters) - Three fast-moving wildfires burned in California on Friday morning, including one that spurred the evacuation of 75,000 homes near a city that was still reeling from a mass shooting.

Voluntary evacuations of 75,000 homes were called for because of the Woolsey Fire that affected parts of Thousand Oaks in Ventura County northwest of Los Angeles, the site of a shooting massacre this week...

...In Northern California, the Camp Fire advanced rapidly to the outskirts of the city of Chico early on Friday, forcing thousands to flee after it left the nearby town of Paradise in ruins, California fire officials said.

Evacuation notices were set for homes on the east side of Chico, a city of about 93,000 people about 90 miles (145 km) north of Sacramento...

...Paradise, located on a ridge, has limited escape routes. Traffic accidents turned roads into gridlock and residents abandoned vehicles and ran from the flames, carrying children and pets, officials said. One woman stuck in traffic went into labor, the Enterprise-Record newspaper reported.

“It’s very chaotic,” said Officer Ryan Lambert of the California Highway Patrol.

Rescuers used a bulldozer to push abandoned cars out the way to reach Feather River Hospital and evacuate patients as flames engulfed the building, Butte County Supervisor Doug Teeter told reporters.

The hospital was totally destroyed....

cd0e20dd-b246-42b7-aa4a-c3e2c9fe3180-AP_

And sometimes in situations like these, social media is awesome.

There was a horse farm in danger of having all its horses caught in the fire, so they put the word out on Twitter.

A bunch of folks showed up with trailers and offered up space on their farms and stables and saved all the horses.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Paco said:

I'm in Sonoma county, 120 miles southwest of Chico, and the smoke is intense.

My friend Alyssa lives in Chico so this hits close to home. I told her she could crash at my place, so I'm doing my part.

I'm much further South and the smoke is very intense here as well.

My in-laws live in Paradise and have lost everything but the clothes they were wearing that day. My father-in-law was the driver of the school bus in this CNN video. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/11/10/paradise-california-camp-wildfire-destruction-simon-nr-vpx.cnn

I'm absolutely heartbroken for them but grateful they made it out alive. 

They have fire insurance, thankfully, but they have a long road ahead of them and don't have anything but a few items of clothing. If any of you drunk assholes are in the charitable spirit, please read and share, then go hug your loved ones. https://www.gofundme.com/help-dave-amp-irene-rebuild

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 11/9/2018 at 2:43 PM, Bama Chick said:

And sometimes in situations like these, social media is awesome.

There was a horse farm in danger of having all its horses caught in the fire, so they put the word out on Twitter.

A bunch of folks showed up with trailers and offered up space on their farms and stables and saved all the horses.

Man, I can tell you from personal experience that in a disaster, social media is absolutely golden.  

It's so damn valuable that it makes you not care how shitty it is when things are normal.  

as a newb....how in the hell do you contain these things? Im watching videos of a single fire truck trying to put out a fire in an obviously destroyed house thinking to myself "theres hundreds of other single fire trucks doing the same thing and this sucker is still spreading"

Basically does it burn out an area of land until it reaches a highway and you pray it doesnt jump the highway?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/california/articles/2018-11-11/the-latest-death-toll-in-northern-california-fire-now-23

...Authorities called in a mobile DNA lab and anthropologists to help identify the dead as the search went on for victims of the most destructive wildfire in California history. The death toll stood at 23 Sunday and appeared likely to climb.

With the town of Paradise reduced to a smoking ruin and the fire still raging in surrounding communities, Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said the Northern California county was bringing in a fifth search and recovery team.

An anthropology team from California State University at Chico was also assisting, because in some cases "the only remains we are able to find are bones or bone fragments."

The department compiled a list of 110 people unaccounted for, but officials held out hope that many were safe but had no cellphones or some other way to contact loved ones...

...High, gusty winds predicted from Sunday into Monday morning mean another 24 hours of "red flag" conditions that could spark "explosive fire behavior" of the sort that leveled Paradise and other Sierra Foothill communities Thursday, he said....

so today, some fuckhead out here tried to start a fire out here near fallbrook, which was hammered last December.  @Bernard has a sister that lives out that way.   Cops got him, and luckily, the fire was stopped at 5 acres with minimal property loss.   

We've been getting the Santa Anas, but so far we've been lucky in this neck of the woods (N. San Diego County). It's been hot and dry here, but the winds haven't been blowing too bad.  If today it had been windy, Mr. Arsonist asshole may have caused us to lose our home.