CA fires: 75k homes evacuated in SoCal, NorCal town of 26k destroyed

clapclapclap

Tornadoes don't also have hurricanes, but hurricanes can also have tornadoes.  So give me tornado country over hurricanado country.

Or put me in a Phoenix subdivision on a hill, so minimal wildfire/floods/tornado/hurricane/earthquake risk.  But bark scorpions and death by electricity going out in summer risk.

Edited by clapclapclap
& "Son you've got a panty on your head" risk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, but you damn well know when a hurricane is coming and can gtfo. put me in hurricane country over tornadoes, earthquakes, or fires.

I looked at a house in Emerald Hills in Redwood City, CA. It was at the top of a hill and used wire suspensions to hold it in place. Great views but if there was an earthquake or mud slide, I'm not sure where I would end up. Just the thought of living there gave me anxiety. Fuck that.

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, but you damn well know when a hurricane is coming and can gtfo. put me in hurricane country over tornadoes, earthquakes, or fires.

Then you want out of Austin because F5 Jarrell, and though it isn't as naturally common as in CA, the wildfire risk is there in the hill country.  Given the right conditions CenTex could easily lose 1000 homes to fires.  I just shake my head when driving by so many houses on big lots with such a huge fuel load of brush and trees all the way up to the homes.  Heaven help places like Lago Vista, Dripping Springs, Wimberley, etc if wildfires crank up in a drought.  

Then you want out of Austin because F5 Jarrell, and though it isn't as naturally common as in CA, the wildfire risk is there in the hill country.  Given the right conditions CenTex could easily lose 1000 homes to fires.  I just shake my head when driving by so many houses on big lots with such a huge fuel load of brush and trees all the way up to the homes.  Heaven help places like Lago Vista, Dripping Springs, Wimberley, etc if wildfires crank up in a drought.  
Yeah, it seems like Westlake could get nailed. I'm surprised it hasn't yet

20 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d guess it’s because they’ll lose over 100,000+ customers and the fact that major system repairs will be O&M and not capital work costing them a fuck load of money.

No, I think the lawsuits from last year's fire in Napa/Sonoma/Santa Rosa, which likely stemmed from poor maintenance and arc-ing power lines are the reason the stock dropped. That's a much bigger draw on revenue. 

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

actually, to be totally pedantic, it was camp creek road. could call it that. camp creek fire. or creek fire. 

it's just a strange thing for me to focus on. i know that.

it just seems weird to call a catastrophic fire "the camp fire"

The name was given long before they realized it was going to be catastrophic. However, you’re correct that a better name could have been chosen. 

30 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

This came up when we were talking about it --  I vividly remember walking out of the garage on a Saturday morning in September 2011 and getting hit by 30mph north winds.  It had been in the 90s all week and hadn't rained in forever.   I walked back inside and told the wife, "This is going to be bad."

A couple of hours later I walked outside and it smelled like someone was starting up the world's biggest BBQ -- fires in Dripping, which were thankfully contained.

A Model T, Abandoned as Paradise Burned, Emerges With Barely a Scratch

merlin_146843361_b684ceb7-011f-48d7-af42-97ff091b122e-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

PARADISE, Calif. — Ron Westbrook’s house is gone. The burned hull of a washer is visible in the rubble. A mangled satellite dish, too. In his collapsed garage, two cars, including a beloved 1941 Plymouth, are no more than blackened shells.

But at the end of Mr. Westbrook’s driveway, in the shade of charred pines, a 103-year-old Ford Model T somehow escaped with only minor paint damage, standing out like a museum piece in a vast landscape of destruction.

The wooden steering wheel, the leather bench seat, the brassy grill, even the for-sale sign on the back — “Runs Very Well,” it attests — were left untouched as the Camp Fire tore an indiscriminate path through the town of Paradise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/us/california-wildfire-antique-car.html

8 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

this is heartbreaking, because the number of dead and the number of missing delta means that eventually one is going to rise as the latter falls. this day and age, missing for more than a couple of days in a major tragedy sadly means dead.

i hope i'm wrong, but those are stunning numbers.

19 hours ago, bolverk said:

A Model T, Abandoned as Paradise Burned, Emerges With Barely a Scratch

merlin_146843361_b684ceb7-011f-48d7-af42-97ff091b122e-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

PARADISE, Calif. — Ron Westbrook’s house is gone. The burned hull of a washer is visible in the rubble. A mangled satellite dish, too. In his collapsed garage, two cars, including a beloved 1941 Plymouth, are no more than blackened shells.

But at the end of Mr. Westbrook’s driveway, in the shade of charred pines, a 103-year-old Ford Model T somehow escaped with only minor paint damage, standing out like a museum piece in a vast landscape of destruction.

The wooden steering wheel, the leather bench seat, the brassy grill, even the for-sale sign on the back — “Runs Very Well,” it attests — were left untouched as the Camp Fire tore an indiscriminate path through the town of Paradise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/us/california-wildfire-antique-car.html

The Holy Spirit at work. 

18 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I guess we’ve been inured to mass casualty events, but this seems like it should be a bigger deal?  

i know i said it earlier, but the number that stands out to me isn't the 60+ dead, which is terrible in and of itself. but more than 600 people missing? fucking hell. in this age of connectivity, to have that many missing bodes terribly. 

The 1000 missing number is horrific, but I can only hope that the overwhelming majority of those are people that just got the fuck out, didn't know where they were going, ended up somewhere and don't  realize that they need to report to the authorities.   

I hope.  

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

I just got a cnn alert that more than 1000 people are missing. Sweet jesus. 

According to this article by WaPo writers, at least 329 names have been cleared off that missing list containing 1,011 names.  But of course the idiot media still puts "1,000 missing' in the headline, then jabs at Trump for saying the number could be 600, then finally mentions that the actual missing is below 700 (if you do the math.)  Journalism is dead:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Camp-Fire-death-toll-continues-to-rise-while-13400822.php

Camp Fire death toll continues to rise, while missing persons surpass 1,000

...The list of people unaccounted for exceeded 1,000 on Friday, after authorities released 600 names in an effort to identify those who had been found by friends and relatives. The astonishing tally raised fears that the death toll would rise exponentially.

The lengthy list confused even President Donald Trump, who tweeted Friday that "as many of 600" people could have perished in the flames.

"Burned beyond recognition, they can't even see the bodies, it's incredible," tweeted Trump, who is scheduled to visit the area Saturday.

But as the names of the unaccounted for expanded into the quadruple digits, Honea cautioned that it's possible many of those listed are safe but had not called authorities to confirm. Some names on the list could be duplicates with different spellings, he added.

"We have a significant event, an unprecedented event, where massive numbers of people were displaced and scattered all over northern California," he said, explaining why it's been difficult to confirm the missing on the expanding list of names.

Just 329 people have been cleared from the list of 1,011, he said.

Among those who had been found but were still listed as unaccounted for was Suzanne Heffernan's mother, Shirley Woodhouse. Heffernan had spoken with her parents as they evacuated their home in Paradise a week earlier, and she and her four siblings had been in close contact about their parents' welfare ever since.

So Heffernan was surprised to get a call from a local sheriff's office on Thursday telling her that her mother, who is in her 80s, was on the missing list. One of Woodhouse's high school friends had added her.

It's interesting, she said, "if outsiders and nonfamily members are adding people to the missing list."

Authorities and residents of Paradise - a community of 26,000 residents nestled in the Sierra Nevada foothills - said the death toll will likely rise in this town where many came to retire and escape the bustle of the city, though it's unclear how high. Among the residents are many elderly or infirm who may have been unable to flee as the flames approached.

Honea said it's "certainly within the realm of possibility that we will never know" the exact number of people killed in the blaze.

"It is my sincere hope that we identify everybody who is missing and identify any remains," he added. "But that is the nature of this tragedy."

Despite days of searching the scorched acreage with the largest search-and-rescue team in history, authorities said they have barely scratched the surface of the area that could contain human remains....

Edited by clapclapclap