CA fires: 75k homes evacuated in SoCal, NorCal town of 26k destroyed

clapclapclap

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what's starting these fires?

I can't say about these fires, but I had an uncle who lived up near Running Springs in 2003 and he had to evacuate due to a fire up along Rim of the World Highway. If I recall correctly, it was determined to be started by arcing power lines that were swaying in the high winds and/or due to branches coming in contact with them or falling on the wires.

often it's power lines that are blown down by high winds, although in the cases of the current fires, I'm not sure it's been determined.

In the deadly Fallbrook Fires last December, the authorities have determined the point of origin of the fire, down to a single square foot, but couldn't determine a cause.  They suspect it was a spark from a passing vehicle. like a truck pulling a trailer with a dragging safety chain or something similar.

Edited by Gil Bang

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

"I can’t believe my truck and my dogs made it,” he said. “I can’t wrap my brain around it. This is the Holy Spirit at work.”

No. No it's not. Your friends all died. Your dogs just got lucky. 

• Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

"I can’t believe my truck and my dogs made it,” he said. “I can’t wrap my brain around it. This is the Holy Spirit at work.”

Man, that dude went through quite an ordeal. I'd cut him a little slack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I might believe you if his truck didn't make it out too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Read the article and get back to us. 

I read it. He shot video of the aftermath. OK, I can see somebody take umbrage with that. But somebody else shared it on YouTube -- not him. Again, he went and warned these people of the coming fire and damn near died himself.

• Like 1

No shit. The one up in Lake county earlier this summer was the Car fire. Or maybe Carr, but whatever. I couldn't figure out what people were talking about.

i know about how naming the fires goes, but surely we could have done better than the "camp fire?" that sort of cheapens it, in my opinion.

as a newb....how in the hell do you contain these things? Im watching videos of a single fire truck trying to put out a fire in an obviously destroyed house thinking to myself "theres hundreds of other single fire trucks doing the same thing and this sucker is still spreading"

Basically does it burn out an area of land until it reaches a highway and you pray it doesnt jump the highway?

Air tankers, fire lines and Backburns......the engines will be assigned to structural protection no hand line will touch a fire like that, you basically try to get far enough ahead of it and bulldoze out all the fuel or backburn the fuel out ahead of it so when the fires converge there is nothing left to burn. The problem is with wind that fast it’s a real dicey guessing game choosing where an anchor point that’s far enough ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

You have to understand the weather out here, at least for most of these areas. The last rain we get is in April, maybe May. It's then more or less bone dry until October. Usually we see the first rains by now, but we haven't. So: dry, unseasonably warm and the weather pattern has a strong wind which is forming East to West. It doesn't take much to create a catastrophe. It's not supposed to be warm dry and windy in November. 

That said, the dropping stock price of PGE may tell you where the pundits at least thing the spark initiated from.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:51 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I mean why don't you just piss on his friends grave and tell him God don't exist.

15 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

It's Camp Fire because it stated on Camp Road, fwiw. 

actually, to be totally pedantic, it was camp creek road. could call it that. camp creek fire. or creek fire. 

it's just a strange thing for me to focus on. i know that.

it just seems weird to call a catastrophic fire "the camp fire"

Was discussing this with the wife last night... The Cali wildfires have gotten so prominent (over 5% of the state has burned in the past 5 years), that if you're asking me which natural disaster I'd prefer to risk living in (quality of living not considered)...

1.  Hurricanes

2.  Tornadoes

3.  Western wildfires

26 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Was discussing this with the wife last night... The Cali wildfires have gotten so prominent (over 5% of the state has burned in the past 5 years), that if you're asking me which natural disaster I'd prefer to risk living in (quality of living not considered)...

1.  Hurricanes

2.  Tornadoes

3.  Western wildfires

Gimme a hurricane if I have to ride something out.

41 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  Hurricanes

2.  Tornadoes

3.  Western wildfires

This is why I regret leaving Washington state.   The only thing I had to worry about was mudfllows and lava from the next time Mt. Rainier decides to burp.

18 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

This is why I regret leaving Washington state.   The only thing I had to worry about was mudfllows and lava from the next time Mt. Rainier decides to burp.

yes, but then you would have still been subjected to rando people from the internet mailing you whataburger's so you could get the smell but not be able to eat them.....

36 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I had a housemate at the U-Dub (who grew up in Renton) who once asked me how people could deal with living where there are tornadoes. 

Me: "I lived in the Dallas area for 20 years and never got hit by a tornado.  Here, I wake up and it's cold and raining and shitty for 8 months of the year.  How do you deal with that?"

Him: "That's actually a good point."

I looked him up a few years ago -- he lives in San Diego now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I had a housemate at the U-Dub (who grew up in Renton) who once asked me how people could deal with living where there are tornadoes. 

Me: "I lived in the Dallas area for 20 years and never got hit by a tornado.  Here, I wake up and it's cold and raining and shitty for 8 months of the year.  How do you deal with that?"

Him: "That's actually a good point."

I looked him up a few years ago -- he lives in San Diego now.

Finally got me to move back to Texas..... almost 25 years of that bullshit.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  Hurricanes

2.  Tornadoes

3.  Western wildfires

You know the rules.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  Hurricanes

2.  Tornadoes

3.  Western wildfires

Tornadoes are the dickheads of natural disasters. YouTube will not let me embed this so they are dickheads, too.