Colt vs. The Cowboys - Who do you cheer for?

SMUlawUTgrad

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Jerry wasn't supposed to either.  The old owner was going to fire him before he sold the team, and Jerry said that It's only right for him to do it. 

It's almost like he was eager to be the one to take credit for it. Let's not see this as some sort of noble sacrifice or anything.

Edited by Rimbo

19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You can argue that it was handled poorly but it's hard to argue that it wasn't time for Landry to go. Bum Bright, an aggy, was too much of a pussy to do it himself so Jerry jumped on the grenade.

Exactly. I was born in 84 so I can't say I knew the Landry years. But from everything I read, the game passed him by and got real bad towards the end of the 80s. And it was definitely time to let him go. But like you said, Bright didn't want to do it himself. So enter Jerry. A young wildcatter who didn't give a shit. He could have went about it in a different way. My dad stopped being a fan of the Cowboys when Jerry did that. Then he did it to Jimmy years later. Yet he still hangs on to Jason...

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It's almost like he was eager to be the one to take credit for it.

Yeah that's not the way either.  It's more like he felt that since he was taking over the team, it was his responsibility to clean house and bring new bodies in, instead of getting a clean slate handed to him.

It's almost like you're being obtuse on purpose. I

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It was time for him to be put out to pasture, yes.

Saying "it was handled poorly" is a gross understatement that borders on historical revisionism. One does not summarily fire a legend and brag about it. One does not let one's arch-rival have a motherfucking parade in honor of said Legend because you are too much of a dipshit to do so.

And when the aforementioned Legend is a Longhorn, and the dipshit and his new hire are Arkies, those just compound the above. Oh, and let's see, did the aforementioned dipshit not hire Barry fucking Switzer to be the next head coach after that?

I would go as far as to say it takes a little bit of cognitive dissonance to be both a Dallas Cowboy fan and a Texas Longhorns fan, for those reasons alone.

Go Colt. Fuck the Cowboys.

I was never a Cowboys fan growing up. I was a fan of the Oilers. Became a Cowboys fan during the Parcells years, Quincy-be-damned. Loved watching Romo play. I don't live-and-die with Cowboys losses, never have. But it's my adopted city's team. Gotta root for somebody and I don't mind Jerry. In fact I find him quite entertaining. He means well.

Edited by C-Man

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I was never a Cowboys fan growing up. I was a fan of the Oilers. Became a Cowboys fan during the Parcells years, Quincy-be-damned. Loved watching Romo play. I don't live-and-die with Cowboys losses, never have. But it's my adopted city's team. Gotta root for somebody and I don't mind Jerry. In fact I find him quite entertaining. He means well.

I agree with Jerry being entertaining. His scotch-fueled escapades make following the Cowboys quite a joy, whether in victory or defeat. 

Edited by Blanton

3 minutes ago, Blanton said:

I agree with Jerry being entertaining. His scotch-fueled escapades make following the Cowboys quite a joy, whether in victory or defeat. 

And if you expect them to lose, it's actually quite satisfying when the opposite happens.

There is some moronic statements in here and now we are adding being upset that a privately ran business with a arkie boss fired a longhorn and hired a sooner down the road?
Would you apply that to all businesses?

Honey we need to switch power companies because some executive of wrong school fired an alumni of ours

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

There is some moronic statements in here and now we are adding being upset that a privately ran business with a arkie boss fired a longhorn and hired a sooner down the road?

...You don't do that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Yeah that's not the way either.  It's more like he felt that since he was taking over the team, it was his responsibility to clean house and bring new bodies in, instead of getting a clean slate handed to him.

Remember what I wrote above about "bordering on historical revisionism?" OK, this is now no longer merely "bordering on."

59 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

...You don't do that?

I seriously hope you're kidding. Caring where people went to school in the professional world is fucking retarded aggy shit (or - on the other end of the spectrum - douchenozzle Ivy league shit). I work for a Sooner - my closest work friend is a Sooner - she works under an aggy. No one cares. They are all great people. There are kids that I pledged with at SMU that I wouldn't work with let alone talk to anymore. It don't make a shit. You are a good person and employee and coworker or you aren't. 

That said - you have a right to be upset at how he handled the Tom Landry situation and/or the Jimmy situation. But I don't see how anyone's alma mater is relevant. 

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

Honey we need to switch power companies because some executive of wrong school fired an alumni of ours

Taking you off ignore. Have a rep.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I seriously hope you're kidding. Caring where people went to school in the professional world is fucking retarded aggy shit (or - on the other end of the spectrum - douchenozzle Ivy league shit). I work for a Sooner - my closest work friend is a Sooner - she works under an aggy.

Well Walmart has upped their pay/benefits in recent years, no shame in that job at all. Did you get stuck working the Black Friday shift this year? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well Walmart has upped their pay/benefits in recent years, no shame in that job at all. Did you get stuck working the Black Friday shift this year? 

No but I'm working Sunday so I'm going to miss watching the Texans play. Maybe my manager will let me off early - she's chill sometimes. 

To make your joke better in the vein of this thread - Walmart's CEO went to Arkansas and then Tulsa. 

40 years ago Earl was of course my favorite. If the Oilers played the Cowboys I would root for Earl to rush for 250 yards but for the Cowboys to win the game. Now I have no allegiance to any NFL team so it's Colt all the way.

On a side note, I was listening to Earls first preseason game of his rookie year on the radio and it happened to be against the Cowboys.  I can't remember who called the game, but I remember the play by play guy saying Tony Dorsett had a nice run, looked over at Earl on the sideline and shook the ball at him. TD was a classy guy in my opinion, but I remember that pissed me off. I know, csb.

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

That said - you have a right to be upset at how he handled the Tom Landry situation and/or the Jimmy situation. But I don't see how anyone's alma mater is relevant. 

It's relevant because this is a goddamned fucking Longhorn fan site.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:57 PM, Bone3421 said:

Colt was amazing and is texas legend...BUT he is on wrong side now...fuck skins when they play the cowboys. I wouldnt shed a tear if colt got hurt and we stomped the shit out of them

This is the worst post I’ve ever seen on the internet. We should kill this guy.

I’m a Cowboys fan. Im also a heterosexual, married man for 23 years and have three kids and I would SUCK Colt McCoys cock I love him so goddamn much. He’s been the nfls stepchild for 10 years. I hope he stomps the Cowboys in the dick and takes redskins to the super bowl.

I’m a Cowboys fan. Im also a heterosexual, married man for 23 years and have three kids and I would SUCK Colt McCoys cock I love him so goddamn much. He’s been the nfls stepchild for 10 years. I hope he stomps the Cowboys in the dick and takes redskins to the super bowl.

Man I don’t think heterosexual means what you think it means.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. I was born in 84 so I can't say I knew the Landry years. But from everything I read, the game passed him by and got real bad towards the end of the 80s. And it was definitely time to let him go. 

Not entirely true. 

Not sure about dates but mid to late 60’s cowboys started using a software to grade their scouts. All draft eligible players were given a grade. Then the next few years those players were graded against scouts grade. Better scouts were given more weight in their evals. 

The scouts evals were not updated about mid 80’s so drafts suffered. 

No clue why anyone would root for an business organization that has zero ties to texas that’s full of mercernaries that would up and leave this state if they dont get what they want

vs

rooting for a lifetime longhorn that represents the best of my alma mater and this great state

pretty fucking easy choice. Interesting that many adults are actually choosing the former... as if the cowboys organization actually gives a fuck about them... lol

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

No clue why anyone would root for an business organization that has zero ties to texas that’s full of mercernaries that would up and leave this state if they dont get what they want

vs

rooting for a lifetime longhorn that represents the best of my alma mater and this great state

pretty fucking easy choice. Interesting that many adults are actually choosing the former... as if the cowboys organization actually gives a fuck about them... lol

We get it, you don't give a shit about professional teams.

Millions of people do. Many of those people even support college teams at the same time.

• Like 2