Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Interesting parallels today for our posture against Russia considering it's the 70th anniversary of a massive shift in the Korean War against Russia, obviously via proxy war.  Weird day to defend North Korea and Russia though, both nations led by douchey cunts.  though I suppose I can offer empathy.  So many deaths left to celebrate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

The Ukrainians have been firing their own ballistic missiles (Tochka) throughout the war. The only thing holding back ATACMS had been our (silly) hesitancy.

This is true, the Hrim-2 has been operational since at least August, and the Tochka is an old soviet weapon in theater.  However, both are much shorter range and their service ceiling is lower, while still suborbital.  Also, and perhaps most importantly, the russians are well aware that these exist, so if/when they are used, this shouldn't come as a shock to them.  ATACMS flies much higher and could easily be confused by them for something else (also, it was designed as a tactical nuclear warhead carrier).  We've learned that their air defense is no where near what anyone thought it was, so I don't think its a big leap to think that their radar isn't very good either.  

13 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

All of those dead from one day in one Wagner location. 

Could it be that they are rationing ammo right now since they are running low or have inflated they numbers due to corruption? The $ was stolen and they said they produced X amount when they didn’t?

• Like 1

Jdam ER now in theater.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/02/22/ukrainian-pilots-could-toss-their-new-gps-guided-bombs-50-miles-behind-russian-lines/?sh=4ebce87c4b40

As some one earlier said, now you are locked in a room with me, and there is nowhere to hide.  This ER version gives the Ukrainians at least 50 mile range of precision guided aerial bombs.  With some flight strategies this range may be significantly extended.  

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

What a hardcore clown that blubbering idiot is.

A bit of Monte Python from the comments….

Biden knew Putin would never dare to even think of silent-farting in the general direction of Kyiv. It was a display of power. «Sit Putin. Gooood dog.»

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow, Prigozhin is straight up challenging Gerasimov and Shoigu.  Dude clearly wants to commit suicide by shooting himself multiple times in the back of the head and then throwing himself out a window.

At this point, the only thing that makes sense to me is that the MOD, and by proxy guys like Gerasimov and Shoigu are legit scared of this guy, probably because of his relationship with putin.  I think he will get it in country with himars glsdb strike in the next few weeks or days.  However, I suspect it will be a long time but eventually it will come out that someone in the MOD leaked his location to be done with him.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I love how Russian state TV openly lists their mouthpieces: Tucker Carlson, TFG, DeSantis, and Sloth Toes.  Seriously, we have a gleeful fifth column here in the US, and they are the leading voices of an entire political party.  A party that, for 90% of my life, stood firmly against an authoritarian Russia, and loudly sang the refrains of freedom.  And now.....they're simps for a Russian dictator.  If you'd have told me this was how shit was gonna turn out 20 years ago, I'd have told you to quit with the crazy pills.

Still, it's refreshing to see even the pathological liars on Russian state TV be unable to deny that Biden just dragged America's nuts across Putin's face.

Meh, meh!  No Cloak Room!  

Seriously, I have grave reservations about our support of Ukraine for reasons I have shared and will continue to share.  But it is just so fucking beyond me that of all the people in this country to truly undermine our efforts and those of Ukraine/NATO would be the people who 2 years ago were the most Anti-Russian.  And then the fucking kicker on top of that was somehow this is a "Anti-Nazi" campaign by Russia supported, albeit tacitly, by folks who share more in common with Nazis than they care to admit.  I mean, this beyond the pale even for 2020's America.  this is fucking insane.  And to be balanced, on the other side, the same people who used to lecture me on the military prowess of the Soviet Union during WWII are now saying Russia's "meat-grinder/attrition" formula won't work against a determined foe.  Fucking Twilight Zone Day at Army War College is what this is.  

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Still, it's refreshing to see even the pathological liars on Russian state TV be unable to deny that Biden just dragged America's nuts across Putin's face.

Damn straight!  

One of them states that Zelenskyy was so happy he was crying. Admits that it was a morale boost for Ukrainian troops.  They also mention that Biden looks like a hero and was not afraid to go to a war zone without being protected by our troops, noting it’s the first time since the Gettysburg address by Lincoln that this happened. Granted, his history sucks, but it’s great that he’s telling that to the Russian populace.    

I keep seeing these left-handed comments noting that Biden is in a war zone— which highlights the fact that Putin hides away, like a frightened child, and will only appear 50 to 100 feet away from anyone and a speech or meeting at a long table.   This is as close as calling out Putin on something as they can get away with I think - saying something by the unsaid. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Damn straight!  

One of them states that Zelenskyy was so happy he was crying. Admits that it was a morale boost for Ukrainian troops.  They also mention that Biden looks like a hero and was not afraid to go to a war zone without being protected by our troops, noting it’s the first time since the Gettysburg address by Lincoln that this happened. Granted, his history sucks, but it’s great that he’s telling that to the Russian populace.    

I keep seeing these left-handed comments noting that Biden is in a war zone— which highlights the fact that Putin hides away, like a frightened child, and will only appear 50 to 100 feet away from anyone and a speech or meeting at a long table.   This is as close as calling out Putin on something as they can get away with I think - saying something by the unsaid. 

I won't leave it unsaid.  Putin is a gutless cowardly pussy.  And he should die as one -- alone, poisoned in his Sochi compound.

• Hook 'Em 5

Whenever we get glum, just remember that there is no country and no leader in the world besides Francis that can get this type of crowd to turn up away from home. I’ll grant that Poland is friendly turf, but all the same. There is no one who will wait hours to hear what Xi might say, and no one who imagines he might say anything interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Whenever we get glum, just remember that there is no country and no leader in the world besides Francis that can get this type of crowd to turn up away from home. I’ll grant that Poland is friendly turf, but all the same. There is no one who will wait hours to hear what Xi might say, and no one who imagines he might say anything interesting. 

first ich bin ein berliner, then gorby tear down this wall, now this.

Just now, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

first ich bin ein berliner, then gorby tear down this wall, now this.

or, as putin is finding out:

first ich bin ein berliner, then gorby tear down this wall, nowthis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The whole crimes against humanity ratchets this up to 11.

All senior leadership in RU is in a fight for their survival. 

I still think those of y’all that think this ends with a whimper are wish casting.

Putin controls the media.  Putin eliminated any serious government official or oligarch that can threaten him.  Putin can have anybody thrown in jail, that says anything negative about him or the war in Ukraine. Putin arguably let 700,000 or so of the potential biggest troublemakers flee the country last year.

Zeihan has talked a lot about how in the US, we have literally thousands of people that are capable of being President (everything from business leaders to political leaders (from Congress down to local cities) to military leaders to leaders of other organizations (universities, etc.)), but he thinks Russia only has two hundred at most who could truly grasp the role of running the country. Almost all of those are the oligarchs or high-ranking government officials, and both groups rely heavily on Putin being around to stay in power/wealth themselves.

I've wondered about why the oligarchs don't do anything, but they have to worry on some level that somebody taking over after Putin may confiscate their assets and throw them in prison - yeah, Putin is the devil, but he's the devil they know, and he's the devil that only asks for part of their companies/wealth.  For better or for worse for them, Putin is protecting them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

TLDW

1) there are a shit load of tanks all around the world sitting in warehouses in various stages that’ll need upgrading to battle readiness

2) all things said the Abrams tank is a bad ass and probably the best choice for Ukraine

3) it takes longer than we would wish to upgrade many of those stored tanks

4) (this is my personal take) after all the blah blah blah there are enough tanks, ready right now, to be sent to Ukraine to help in any Russian spring offensive.  We dick around for political reasons, and because we don’t want to give up many of our current best battle-ready tanks due to the requisite delay in upgrading the ones in storage

5) (also my take) the US has enough combat ready Abrams tanks, even if not the most modern, that if uncle Joe wanted to send a bunch right now on drawdown he sure as shit could.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

that guardian article is interesting.  it talks about the claim that russians using cell phones allowed for the triangulation that led to all the deaths at once two months ago.  the quotes though are that claim is "ridiculous" attempt to blame the soldiers themselves for their deaths because the whole area knew that the building was where all the soldiers were staying.  we've talked about it on here too.  in retrospect we might have been passing off russian disinformation in adopting the phone story -- not designed to deceive the west but to protect military leadership from the russian people.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Putin controls the media.  Putin eliminated any serious government official or oligarch that can threaten him.  Putin can have anybody thrown in jail, that says anything negative about him or the war in Ukraine. Putin arguably let 700,000 or so of the potential biggest troublemakers flee the country last year.

Zeihan has talked a lot about how in the US, we have literally thousands of people that are capable of being President (everything from business leaders to political leaders (from Congress down to local cities) to military leaders to leaders of other organizations (universities, etc.)), but he thinks Russia only has two hundred at most who could truly grasp the role of running the country. Almost all of those are the oligarchs or high-ranking government officials, and both groups rely heavily on Putin being around to stay in power/wealth themselves.

I've wondered about why the oligarchs don't do anything, but they have to worry on some level that somebody taking over after Putin may confiscate their assets and throw them in prison - yeah, Putin is the devil, but he's the devil they know, and he's the devil that only asks for part of their companies/wealth.  For better or for worse for them, Putin is protecting them.

I think the whole crimes against humanity ensures there isn’t some “depose Putin and say we’re really sorry” off-ramp here. There probably never was, but it feels like at this point it really is an existential fight for survival

I used to think Putin was all-in. Feels like everybody on that side with any power is all-in.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

this is a "Anti-Nazi" campaign by Russia supported, albeit tacitly, by folks who share more in common with Nazis than they care to admit. 

Do keep in mind that what we think of as a Nazi/nationalist (WWII German Nazis), is not necessarily the same thing as what they are thinking - they consider Ukrainian "nationalists" (those that believe Ukraine is a separate nation) as evil, because Ukraine is a part of Russia as far as they are concerned.

Sure, Russia will mix and match the two, but ultimately when they are talking about stamping out nationalism, they are talking about stamping out this idea that Ukraine is a separate nation.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

One war at a time... or in this case, it is much easier to finance supplying Ukraine when we aren't in a trade war with China.

Naaah.  At the very least, backchannel to let China know what's coming -- either now, or after we finish dealing with Russia.  Either way, play genocidal games, get shitty prizes.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think the whole crimes against humanity ensures there isn’t some “depose Putin and say we’re really sorry” off-ramp here. There probably never was, but it feels like at this point it really is an existential fight for survival

I used to think Putin was all-in. Feels like everybody on that side with any power is all-in.

We can declare it to be a crimes against humanity situation, and it certainly is, but nobody is going to enter Russia and drag Putin off to The Hague.

As long as no other Russians try to depose him, nothing will happen to Putin over this, even if he pulled out of Ukraine tomorrow, or tried to hang on as long as possible, and even if he ramped up the killing of Ukrainian civilians.

And everybody around Putin is all-in, because like I said, Putin is the devil they know and the devil that lets them keep whatever wealth and businesses and power they have, versus somebody like Navalny, who might actually do something about the oligarchs and Putin's cronies.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1