Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

About 12 years ago I talked to an Army two-star who was at the time overseeing recruitment, and he was raising the alarm about this. His main concern was a rising combo of “chronic unfitness,” extensive drug use, seriously concerning criminal history, and crazy low ASVAB. Really hurt things at the enlisted ranks.

Even the super staid FBI is getting beyond a freak out over pot-smoking and of course the military is, too.  But if you’ve made drug use into a big part of your lifestyle it’s a problem. 

Wait, you're telling me there's a white supremacist problem in the US military? You don't say. 

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I guess it’s not as much fun discussing how Ukraine’s air defense can run out of munitions in May, with far too few Patriots in replacement, setting up a scenario where Russia can have air superiority, and deliver more accurate bombardments of Ukrainian positions. 

It’s also not fun to think that there could be accurate privileged Russian info in the docs, setting up our assets in Russia for arrests and executions. 

It’s more fun to imagine that it’s all a feint, and that we have in actuality given Ukraine what they need to overwhelm the Russians and have this all finished by early summer. 

Saw and interesting take from Ben Hodges on all this yesterday.  Also, I'm still not sure what to make about a report that seemingly out of the blue showed up on of all things a minecraft discord room for a Philapino youtube guy.  The entire thing is odd.  

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

There’s also a rise in anti war feelings among the younger generation. Not necessarily anti military the way it was post Vietnam, but a general feeling of the US military aren’t necessarily the good guys

Military recruitment difficulties are a multifaceted, mostly CR problem.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Saw and interesting take from Ben Hodges on all this yesterday.  Also, I'm still not sure what to make about a report that seemingly out of the blue showed up on of all things a minecraft discord room for a Philapino youtube guy.  The entire thing is odd.  

They're from an even more obscure place, actually:

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/04/09/from-discord-to-4chan-the-improbable-journey-of-a-us-defence-leak/ 

However, the WowMao server may still not be the original source of these documents.

Bellingcat spoke to members of a separate Discord community who claimed that other images had been posted earlier on yet another, since deleted, server often called “Thug Shaker Central” but which also had several other names at different times. Image files shown to Bellingcat detailed a further document in the same style and formatting of those posted in the WowMao server that was dated to January 13. 

Yet given the images shared were screengrabs and not a link to the original server post which has been taken down, it is not possible to independently verify their authenticity. The content of these documents beyond the date and classification was also blurred out when shown to Bellingcat.

The Thug Shaker Central server was originally named after its original founder, one member of the server with the username “Vakhi” told Bellingcat. Server administrator duties then passed through various users before a new member took on the responsibility and it went through one of many name changes. Vakhi did not want to name this person but said they were the original source of the leaked documents. According to Vakhi, and two other users who spoke to Bellingcat but declined to be identified by their usernames, the files that were leaked onto WowMao are only the “tip of the iceberg” compared to the quantity of documents posted onto Thug Shaker Central.

There are no traces left of this server outside of testimony from these users, and scattered references to its existence on 4chan. Bellingcat is therefore unable to independently verify all of the information shared by these users, including the aforementioned January document or if the other uploader described as the source of the leak was indeed the original source. 

However, Bellingcat was able to confirm that Vakhi and the other users who spoke to Bellingcat, as well as another who shared documents on the WowMao server, were part of the Thug Shaker server given that they shared member lists with Bellingcat which matched in key details.

Their accounts of the server’s general nature also independently coincided. The name of the Thug Shaker server frequently changed, sometimes to that of a racial slur, and had around 20 active users making up a tight-knit community, members said. Posts and channel listings show that the server’s users were interested in video games, music, Orthodox Christianity, and fandom for the popular YouTuber “Oxide”.

This server was not especially geopolitical in nature, although its users had a staunchly conservative stance on several issues, members told Bellingcat. Racial slurs and racist memes were shared widely.

Bellingcat contacted Discord to ask about the existence of the Thug Shaker Central, WowMao and Minecraft Earth Map servers, as well as whether Discord had any knowledge that “Top Secret” documents were apparently being shared there 

• Rage+1 1

Here’s what to know about the Pentagon’s purported classified-document leak
https://www.wsj.com/articles/pentagon-leak-classified-intelligence-documents-takeaways-6dd576b8?st=cy7fvwlqp16wtp2&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

I know nobody wants to discuss the leak, and what it suggests about the Ukrainian counteroffensive (that it will be ineffective due to lack of air defense). If Ukraine really falters, I would like to see the US drop the half measures and go into a wartime  production rate for shells and Patriot batteries and missiles. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pentagon-leak-classified-intelligence-documents-takeaways-6dd576b8?st=cy7fvwlqp16wtp2&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

I know nobody wants to discuss the leak, and what it suggests about the Ukrainian counteroffensive (that it will be ineffective due to lack of air defense). If Ukraine really falters, I would like to see the US drop the half measures and go into a wartime  production rate for shells and Patriot batteries and missiles. 

For Darkmode:

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't think it's possible for us to go to wartime production without a declaration of war. These are all private/independent companies that do this stuff, and the step-level changes in production would be massive. How can that even remotely happen without a declaration of war?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Air defense has been an issue for a while - the OSINT people all could have given similar numbers to what the "leaked" documents claim, and have been, but we also know there are ongoing deliveries (and MANPADs are not as much an issue, as they are all over Ukraine, and so CAS is still nullified).  And the S-300s were produced by Russia, so there would be a replacement issue at some point - it wasn't some top secret thing.  In fact, the OSINT folks have the info on S-300 numbers if you poke around their websites.

The US has ramped up artillery shell production rates a lot, and are expanding capacity, as are the Europeans.  As for building Patriot batteries, that's a lot tougher - HIMARS production has been ramped up - Lockheed was building 48 a year, went up to 60, and is aiming for almost 100 a year.  Patriot is a lot more complex though, and there's never been wartime production of the Patriots, they are more expensive than HIMARS, but we can send older models (especially as the Army is in the midst of working on a replacement). I'm not even sure if we have full-on Patriot production any more - I know there are upgrade packages being made, and obviously we are still making missiles, but I'm not sure if they are producing actual billion-dollar Patriot batteries from start-to-finish or just producing replacement/upgrade parts for older systems that we are selling to the Swiss and Ukrainians (and Poles).

The leak is just difficult to discuss, because it's exactly what misinformation would look like - for instance, it freaks out the Russian milbloggers because they think all of the comms are penetrated, which is what you would want an adversary to think if you wanted to make them scramble to less-effective backup comms systems (or dispatch runners on foot, which could be picked up as showing where HQ units are). If I was an signals intel official who wasn't able to see a lot from current Russian battlefield comms but I knew I could see a lot from their older comms systems, how would I fix that?  I would make them think the current comms systems are compromised and force them to a backup system.

Or this bit in the leak below, about Patrushev and Gerasimov undermining/sabotaging Putin while he's getting chemotherapy starting on March 5.

That's the kind of misinformation you want to put out there to make Putin even more paranoid and not trust the people under him.  If he believes this, how do Patrushev and Gerasimov survive? 

And if that info never makes it to him because he's in a bubble controlld by the people under him, then that means that the people under him have their own channels of communications and are keeping him out of the loop at somebody's instance, which means you want to make them paranoid - make them all think "what if another underling gives this info to Putin?"  If you are Patrushev and Gerasimov, even if this is misinformation and you know it, you may have to act against Putin in order to save your own life.

That's why it gets tough to discuss.

1681231392641-copyint2.jpeg?resize=1600:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The Defense Production Act does not require a declaration of war.  It was passed in response to the Korean War and merely requires Presidential authorization.

This.  Along with cooperation from the private sector, an understood requirement that existing but decommissioned assets be used first (upon upgrade and recommission), and that convenient little logistics thing called real estate.  The DoD needs no Congressional approval nor declaration to backfill equipment into our current Euro-Asiatic installations.  If a couple of soldiers happen to take a fixed wing squadrons out to get washed and they end up in Czech or Ukraine, so be it.  It's like going into Wisconsin.  Buncha shit 'bout to get lost up in here.  I'm sure people will blame somebody here in the U.S. for losing so much Armed Forces hardware, but I doubt all the living children of Ukraine will give fuck one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Incorrect.
They’re worse.

Yeah. The Red Army committed plenty of atrocities going west in WWII. (The Germans called the Berlin Red Army monument the “Tomb of the Unknown Rapist”), but I always figured that was tit for tat, an understandable reaction to seeing their families slaughtered by the Nazis. 

Now, I second guessing that. Maybe they’re just as bad as the Nazis. 

• Like 4
  • Rage+1 3

40 minutes ago, statsman said:

Yeah. The Red Army committed plenty of atrocities going west in WWII. (The Germans called the Berlin Red Army monument the “Tomb of the Unknown Rapist”), but I always figured that was tit for tat, an understandable reaction to seeing their families slaughtered by the Nazis. 

Narrator:  they were

We should have let Patton do what he wanted. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

My son just flew home from Berlin to Scotland, and shared a scene he watched - three Russians trying to convince the German passport control to let them fly out:

Russian freak out at Berlin airport

I was at the check station where they look at your passport and documents before your gate, and at the EU citizens line, there were 3 Russians practically throwing themselves at the German border police

They had like a stack of 100 different documents, and the whole time, first Russian is with one of the two guards throwing every document he can through the window, saying it’s all ok

Second Russian is frantically running around howling “nein” “bitte” and other bits of broken German, even goes to the second guard while she’s dealing with another person and interrupts it, begging at the window and shoving documents through

Third Russian was just some babushka. But security had to come and make them calm tf down, eventually they did get through
——————-
And my daughter’s observation:

Ya like buddy. As the Russian graffiti in the Bundestag says, you reap what you sow
——————
The Russians know how this goes. They can get fucked.
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nice touch. I hope we did something similar for the Ukrainians who trained at Fort Sill. Probably just gave them some Oklahoma BBQ. 

Ukrainians will only kowtow to Russia when they are dead.  they know everything about Russia and now they know a hell of a lot more about the west.  They are never going back. Ever.  And if for reasons, I cannot comprehend, Russia is ever able to occupy most of Ukraine, the number of dead and occupiers will never go down until almost all Ukrainians are dead.

I also believe in my heart that before Russia takes over Ukraine, that Finland and Poland are just gonna say fuck it and move in. We will see.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:
27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My son just flew home from Berlin to Scotland, and shared a scene he watched - three Russians trying to convince the German passport control to let them fly out:

Russian freak out at Berlin airport

I was at the check station where they look at your passport and documents before your gate, and at the EU citizens line, there were 3 Russians practically throwing themselves at the German border police

They had like a stack of 100 different documents, and the whole time, first Russian is with one of the two guards throwing every document he can through the window, saying it’s all ok

Second Russian is frantically running around howling “nein” “bitte” and other bits of broken German, even goes to the second guard while she’s dealing with another person and interrupts it, begging at the window and shoving documents through

Third Russian was just some babushka. But security had to come and make them calm tf down, eventually they did get through
——————-
And my daughter’s observation:

Ya like buddy. As the Russian graffiti in the Bundestag says, you reap what you sow
——————
The Russians know how this goes. They can get fucked.

(Brief thread sidetrack)

nations have different personalities. 14 years ago, flying back from Paris, in a crowded Orly, the French ticketing agent booked us on a flight that had only 15 minutes left to board, which was surely against all the rules. We had to run after getting through security, but we made it. The French don’t really see any point in rules that don’t help. 

Everyone agreed that there was no way in hell that would have happened in Germany. 

5 minutes ago, statsman said:

(Brief thread sidetrack)

nations have different personalities. 14 years ago, flying back from Paris, in a crowded Orly, the French ticketing agent booked us on a flight that had only 15 minutes left to board, which was surely against all the rules. We had to run after getting through security, but we made it. The French don’t really see any point in rules that don’t help. 

Everyone agreed that there was no way in hell that would have happened in Germany. 

Similar story - was running through CDG to catch a connecting flight back to the US the day before Christmas and all the luggage carts were gone so I had to drag all my crap between terminals.  Customs guys did their security stop close to the gate and asked "why are you sweating???" (said with a shitty French/Inspector Clouseau accent...)

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, statsman said:

(Brief thread sidetrack)

Oh, and to be clear- she was really helping us out by putting us on that flight. Our scheduled flight out, requiring a transfer in Boston, was delayed five hours, meaning we would probably be spending the night in Boston. She put us on a direct flight to DFW; it just requires us to hustle to the gate ASAP in order to not miss it. 

I think I love France, even though it can drive me crazy b

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Russians abroad whose current place/nation of residence, if it's not very secure and they could be easily deported back to Russia, are probably shitting bricks now that the Russian government has declared they will lock down passports and drivers license of eligible men, and they are no longer allowing them to leave Russia, and they are drafting people electronically and not just showing up and grabbing them in person.

And the only reason I can think of for them to use electronic means is that either a shitload of them fled their primary residence (draft them through email, lock down their passport/driver's license, the moment they get a "papers please" check while out and about they are fucked), draft officers were being threatened/harmed/bribed, or more likely they are ramping up the size of the conscription and it's just more efficient.  Or a combination of those.

I wonder how close they are to really hitting Moscow/St. Petersburg for large-scale conscription.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The UAE cares about 1 thing. Money. Well that and control. When I lived there it was full of Russians and from what my friends are telling me it is only getting worse. It was where a Libyan was beaten to death and tossed out the window of the Burj over a diamond deal. Now it is high rise buildings with signs in Russian. Glad I was there when the worst thing I had to deal was were American Contractors looking for pussy (probably Russian) and drunk Brit tourists. 

How should we counter this if true? Pull the USAF out of the country, stop patrolling their EEZ and freeze any known companies that are going around sanctions. 

In 2004 I was working a project to move food into Iraq and Afghanistan. US company was the lead, we were in country support. Chassis they were buying were made in Iran, under US Sanctions, and the UAE just gave them a new "license" in a free zone. Yeah.... Money 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I watched the video. It was ISIS style. There are a few who really believe ISIS was created by the release of jihadi's from Russian jails, not from US from detention facilities. I have read the analysis and tend to agree. Same faces from Dagestan somehow are leading the charge into Eastern Syria and Iraq. And why did the Sunni Caliphate not attack the Shia leaders of Syria? Questions, I know, and not the right thread. 

My thoughts are these, if they are Wagner, they fought in Syria where this is normal to do. Or they are Wagnerites from the Caucus. Or it could be another group seeking to discredit Wagner and its leadership. Either way hope they all end up in The Hague, or better, under a memorial in the Russian equivalent of Kyle Field (same architecture). 

Either way, horrendous and not for the faint of heart. +Rep to all who did not post it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1