Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yikes. This is brutal. What this smells of to me: the Army directed the conscription and training units to deliver X number of troops to Bakhmut on X day, some money changed hands to get the original draftees out of training and fighting, and then these guys got grabbed up and delivered as a substitute. I have a difficult time believing it’s a general practice or directive. 

I posted it before the war— it is absolutely true that Ukraine was absolutely besieged by corruption, nearly all of it encouraged by and inherited from Russia/USSR.  It is extremely hard to change mentalities and practices all the way down the line and war offers chances for  heroism, but also all the grift and bribes you can hope for. 

Some corruption, yes. But at least they didn’t go along with [redacted because CR reasons] plans, so it wasn’t absolute. Pretty good reason itself to help them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

It is sort of surprising that people stealing toilets wouldn't be able to figure out how to make hyper-sonic weapons.  Maybe they should recalibrate their collective goals to not shitting in a bucket or outhouse.  You know, start small, before you know it, they might have washing machines.  

This is what I try to explain to dipshits fearing Russia is going to nuke us.

That may have been possible 30-40 years ago, but now they are more likely to nuke themselves attempting it.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Some corruption, yes. But at least they didn’t go along with [redacted because CR reasons] plans, so it wasn’t absolute. Pretty good reason itself to help them. 

It was pretty rampant in their government and the guy who got Zelensky in office and behind his campaign was very shady but I think he finally totally cut ties completely with him recently.  Ihor Kolomoisky was actually indicted in the US in 2020.  

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

In some of the biggest news I've seen in a while, the Wall Street Journal is reporting South Korea has a confidential agreement with the US government to provide 250,000 artillery shells in a first tranche eventually to reach 1 million shells. 

Not sure what happens with the agreement being reported in the press, but I am excited to hear about it. 

The article is behind a paywall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/south-korean-artillery-supply-allows-u-s-to-delay-decision-on-cluster-munitions-for-ukraine-4e41c04b

I have this low grade theory the South Koreans want a chunk of the Ukrainian arms trade, as well as possibly future armor supplies (they have a Diesel Abrams) and have been twisting our tits on ammunition to get a foot in the door.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

It is sort of surprising that people stealing toilets wouldn't be able to figure out how to make hyper-sonic weapons.  Maybe they should recalibrate their collective goals to not shitting in a bucket or outhouse.  You know, start small, before you know it, they might have washing machines.  

To be fair, the embezzlers and yes-men are a completely different crowd from the toilet-stealers. Kinda like how we share a country with Land Thieves and aggies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I have this low grade theory the South Koreans want a chunk of the Ukrainian arms trade, as well as possibly future armor supplies (they have a Diesel Abrams) and have been twisting our tits on ammunition to get a foot in the door.

It would help defray the costs of their own military needs as well.

Russia (and by proxy China) is giving them a helluva an opening with such a poor showing of Russian gear in Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 2

Some questions:

1) Many countries are training Ukrainian soldiers.  How consistent are the practices on the respective trainers? Are the guys coming back from New Zealand gonna be trained on the same protocols as the guys trained in Canada (or wherever)?  Is it at least universal across all NATO countries?

2) The training schedules are necessarily compressed.  How good are these guys gonna be exactly?

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Some questions:

1) Many countries are training Ukrainian soldiers.  How consistent are the practices on the respective trainers? Are the guys coming back from New Zealand gonna be trained on the same protocols as the guys trained in Canada (or wherever)?  Is it at least universal across all NATO countries?

2) The training schedules are necessarily compressed.  How good are these guys gonna be exactly?

You answered your own question with “NATO.”

yes even Australia, NZ, Japan, and Taiwan probably follow the same standard.

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's an old article.  It says that Berdyansk was only recently occupied, and Mariupol was still not in Russian hands.  I wonder why they bumped it, because it is dated May 25, 2023, while the date in the link is March 24, 2022.  Weird.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

It's still exciting to think of Ukraine hammering Russian shipping in Berdyansk, though.

Maybe they bumped it because of the Ivan Khurs for some reason,

Here’s a fresher drone  hit. I did not realize Krasnodar is so far inside of Russia.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There was almost no fire directed at the sea drone from the ship.

Yeah, the more this conflict drags on  and the more video (albeit anecdotal) we see, the more  the incompetence of the RU military shines through.  Hard to discern the totality of the war and the command structure, but it sure seems like they are leaderless. 

It always reminds me of how good our boys are, the middle management line of officers ( I don't know the correct military terms) that we possess is so critical.  Leadership is so important in sports, business and really any endeavor worth taking on, you have to have core competency of job function, training, initiative etc...  I am so proud of our military.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Guess the Rooskies don’t have a Phalanx type defensive weapon?

Many Russian ships do, although I don't know if that particular ship is equipped with a close in weapon system. E.g., 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashtan_CIWS

The Kortik (Russian: Кортик, "dirk") close-in weapon system (CIWS) is a modern naval air defence gun-missile system deployed by the Russian Navy. Its export version is known as Kashtan (Russian: Каштан, English: Chestnut), with the NATO designation CADS-N-1 Kashtan.[8]

The Kortik is found on the Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov, the Kirov-class battlecruiser, the Neustrashimy-class frigate, as well as the People's Liberation Army Navy Sovremenny-class destroyers, and other modern designs. Typically deployed as a combined gun and missile system, it provides defence against anti-ship missiles, anti-radar missiles and guided bombs. The system can also be employed against fixed- or rotary-wing aircraft or even surface vessels such as fast attack boats or targets on shore.

The Kortik will be replaced in Russian Navy service by the Pantsir-M CIWS, which uses similar rotary cannons but different missile and radar systems.[9]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Help me understand this... are they there to try to sell their weapons because their case studies and value props are a bit lacking.

124212072-a3e3143b-9111-4c7e-95fa-9fd9ac

Look, this is your T-55.  You ask "can I afford to buy this tank?"  Man, you can't afford NOT to buy a tank like this!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

NCOs or non commissioned officers: Sgt., SSG, Top, etc. The backbone of any effective army. 
I couldn't tell you what I did 3 weekends ago but I remember my NCOs from 20 years ago. They and their motivational techniques. 
When I'm getting gassed in the 3rd mile of running the dog I always tell myself, 
"Don't cheat your body, High speed!"
Thanks SSG Teal
I did not serve, but I did a few endurance events that were led by former SF cadre and each one had their own little trick for motivation.

By far my favorite reminder to suck it up came from Cadre Roony.

He would say during some evolution "Think of someone that isn't with us anymore, you don't think they'd do anything to trade places with you right now? Stop feeling sorry for yourselves."

That one comment from years ago has stuck with me.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yeah, the more this conflict drags on  and the more video (albeit anecdotal) we see, the more  the incompetence of the RU military shines through.  Hard to discern the totality of the war and the command structure, but it sure seems like they are leaderless. 

It always reminds me of how good our boys are, the middle management line of officers ( I don't know the correct military terms) that we possess is so critical.  Leadership is so important in sports, business and really any endeavor worth taking on, you have to have core competency of job function, training, initiative etc...  I am so proud of our military.

When something other than the effectiveness of the military becomes the biggest priority, it's unsurprising that the effectiveness of military suffers. In Russia's case (and China's, to a significant degree) the military is seen as a potential threat to the rulers of the state. Therefore mediocrity, the ability to survive in a backstabbing bureaucracy, the ability to project complete loyalty, personal ambition (but only within certain parameters), and a certain incompetence in leadership so no one would actually follow you in a coup attempt, become what is valued most. 

Frankly, when we try to make the military an instrument of social justice we do the same thing in this country. That doesn't mean we shouldn't. It doesn't mean Russia shouldn't be prioritizing making the military a non threat to take over the government. But if the focus becomes something other than building a force that is extremely efficient at killing large numbers of the enemy, then it can deteriorate from that purpose. In Russia's case, astonishingly so. 

But it's the same thing Gibbons talked about in The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Weak emperor/weak generals means fragility. Weak emperor/strong generals means a replacement. Strong emperor/weak generals means weak military. Strong emperor/strong military is the ideal, but it doesn't last long because one or the other is replaced. Rinse and repeat. 

• Hook 'Em 7