Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

For my own understanding:

rvc are bad guy nazis that are being left alone (are they being aided by anyone?) because what they are doing is helpful to ukraine at present

the other group- Russian legion something, are a group of good guys wanting to unseat putin but are also not being aided at this time?

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65681806

Good quick summary. As someone upthread said these are groups whose interests are currently aligned against Putin so they are working together. There's also the National Republican Army https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Republican_Army_(Russia) who are responsible for attacks deep within Russia and take responsibility for killing Dugina (which many find dubious). 

Anyway there's a whole rabbit hole you can go down but if these groups manage to coordinate and work together they can cause problems. Right now Ukraine is using them to make Russia move forces out of Ukraine to defend its own borders from Russian rebel attacks. Ukraine doesn't really care what they stand for as long as they help get Putin's Russia out of Ukraine. 

This.  "Enemy of my enemy is my friend" is really validated in wartime.  I don't give a shit if it's the Aggy-Sooner legion, I say arm them and turn them loose in Moscow.

• Hook 'Em 6

Question for Surly:

I have taken the liberty of plotting various Ukraine targets within the past few weeks. I have omitted the targets within occupied Ukraine for clarity.  Take all this with a decent size block of salt.

The targets to the SE proximate to the Black Sea are small refineries and storage terminals, which are self explanatory.  Belgorod area is Ukraine, "Slava Ukraini", as well as Russia v. Russia.

The targets in Russia east of Belarus are interesting; haven't seen a lot of detail on what exactly was targeted/hit, but just the geography indicates an effort to compromise infrastructure (airbases, rail, power, etc?) between Belarus & Moscow, ~ 180 miles away from Ukraine proper (blue line), well away from the Uk-Ru front lines.

Ukraine, overt or covert? Russia v. Russia? Isolate Belarus? Pull Russia troops away from Ukraine? The Iraqi mind fuck?

Thoughts?

ScreenShot2023-06-02at9_20_34AM.png.d2343b9843eb8e4c013b8e43ab094d43.png

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When we rotate aircraft into Europe, they need to be painted like this

Most of our air guard planes should have this type of paint scene. I would also like to see FAFO on them as well just as a nice gesture 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, statsman said:

I wonder if there isn’t a hard set time and place for the counter. Maybe the plan is to keep ratcheting up the pressure with raids and drone swarms, until Russia Re-positions defensive troops in response, and then hit the opening? 

Given how much NATO and Ukraine have Russia under surveillance, both tactical and strategic, I have a feeling they can spot any areas that Ukraine hits that suddenly become problematic. Hertling or Hodges have talked about how it may not even resemble a traditional counteroffensive, but instead kind of have a rolling start where they have a lot of assets in play (drone strikes, etc.) hitting s lot of areas, and then something clicks and they just point their forces that way. Also, it may not be a traditional massed counteroffensive, but instead multiple fronts at once with smaller actions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dimyh said:

Things not only getting more heated around the border but also in the studio. Gotta love this one guy's "bitch please" looks when arguing with these morons.

Buzz cut, black t-shirt and a sport coat.  Look out, Guys.  We got a badass over here.

I'm gonna keep asking for more of this.  Throw shade, talk shit.  Have some fun with it.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, dimyh said:

Things not only getting more heated around the border but also in the studio. Gotta love this one guy's "bitch please" looks when arguing with these morons.

Can someone remind me why Russian political programming always looks like a game show?

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Can someone remind me why Russian political programming always looks like a game show?

I'm not sure, but in fairness if the Russian people ever see our stuff I'm sure they are left speechless trying to figure out what Chuck Todd is.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So I’ll ask again, is this the biggest geopolitical blunder in the history of mankind?

Amateur historians, please stack rank…

It's right up there with the bombing of Pearl Harbor and Napoleon's march on Moscow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So I’ll ask again, is this the biggest geopolitical blunder in the history of mankind?

Could be, given where Russia was seen prior to February of 2022, as the second most powerful country in the world.

And being this is 2022-2023, it’s particularly bad given the interconnectedness of the world’s supply chains, economies, etc. as well as how high-tech things are - economic sanctions have an incredibly powerful bite now versus say a century ago. They can’t even put fucking airbags in their Lada shitboxes.  They struggle to make more than a few dozen tanks a month, they are firing off nearly as many cruise missiles as they make every month. Gone are the days of peasants cranking out T-34 parts in low-tech factories. Now the parts they need for just their tanks rely on other countries’ manufacturing capabilities, which makes it harder for Russia.

As the former second most powerful nation in the world, this really has to sting for them. I’d consider these things major factors in your calculations of biggest blunder:

1. They’ve put their economy on the path that could break Putin’s grip on power.  Economic problems doomed previous Russian governments in the 1910s and after the Afghanistan war (and US’s SDI) in the late 80s.
  2. Russian demographics heading into 2022 were already suffering. Now they are inarguably worse as the prime male population has taken a hit with deaths and injuries.  And many of those returning from the war will be broken and looked down upon, just as they were in Afghanistan and the two Chechen wars, and will struggle to provide for families. And they’ve lost potentially 750,000 young men in their prime who fled the country’s mobilization.  
  3. Russian influence on surrounding countries, including former Soviet republics, has been greatly weakened, and these countries even mock Russia.
  4. NATO is strengthened and has been given a brand spanking new lease on life. NATO is also expanding in a way that has shocked everybody - Russia forced Finland and Sweden to drop their neutrality, which is stunning.
  5. Ukraine is going to be left much, much stronger in the long run.
  6. Putin has gutted Russia’s conventional military.  They no longer have a reserve they can rely on. They could not stop a conventional invasion before it reached Moscow without nukes. They’ve lost so much institutional knowledge.
  7. Putin has made Russia a vassal state of China, and India to a lesser extent. This is the biggest blunder.  The Chinese will take advantage of them, and are.

Given Russia’s power in the world prior to last year, I feel like it could be the biggest blunder., especially since it was mostly an attack on a single neighbor a third it’s size, and not a full-on war of conquest against an entire continent.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Only other one I can remember:

Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Honestly, there may be worse, but the 1890s Russian attack on Japan, that went so badly that Teddy Roosevelt was needed to mediate a truce, comes to mind first. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

I dunno.

There was the time in college when there was this really, really pretty girl who I'd seen several times on campus, and even made some nice eye contact at a party or two, was at a smaller party I was attending.  Eye contact again, and it's undeniable, so I'm heading over.  And right before I get to her, the crowd parts enough for me to notice that she was a...big girl from the waist down.  So, I peeled off like a fighter plane after its attack.  I could even see the look of betrayal on her face.  COLLOSAL blunder, because 1) that was just a dick move, and I owe her an apology, and 2) she was plenty cute and clearly interested in me and you realize at a certain point that you regret EVERY girl you ever turned down.  That was a pretty colossal blunder.

There's also the time I drank half a 1.75 liter bottle of cheap tequila in about 30 minutes, Spring Break 1990, Padre.  Haven't been able to even stand the smell of tequila since.  HUGE blunder.

I mean, the most important things in history are the things that affect me directly, right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1