Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

As an aside, I see people getting excited about the use of ATACMS to take out the Kerch bridge, and rightfully so, but that's target B for me. I want to see them used to take out the airfields in Berdyansk and Crimea. 

If Russia can be pushed back to operate their air power deep inside their own country, it changes the dynamics of the battlefield for this counter offensive dramatically. Russia has terrible air refueling capability. 

And on that note, a fuel depot was apparently hit in Berdyansk this morning:

Kerch would kind of be a cherry on top, the damage they could do to command centers and bases the Russians consider to be sanctuary areas would be pretty valuable. The fear of having no place to run or hide would good.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

The Bradley was a success and always was. As funny and entertaining as Pentagon Wars was, it was nothing more than an exercise in cynical post modern mental masturbation contrarianism. Lazer Pig, a youtuber who works in UK defense analysis, has a funny video about the Pentagon Wars book writer, James Burton. Start at 8:03:

Mma Reaction Pack GIF by UFC

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

FYI he's gay

Name an analyst who was? Hodges and Hertling were the only ones close IIRC.

So? What does that have to do with his terrible ties? Most gay guys I know are pretty fashion conscious, as well. Not looking like they raided the closet of someone who died in the 80s.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Here's some cheerful news about Russia pulling personnel out of the nuclear power plant. I wonder why?

"The Russians are reducing their presence at #Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Ukraine’s Main Intelligence Directorate reports. The Russian representatives of #Rosatom have already left, and Ukrainian employees of the plant who signed contracts with Rosatom are being advised to evacuate by July 5. Meanwhile, the number of military patrols in #Enerhodar is gradually decreasing."

Another article from the Kyiv Independent. No less cheery!

Military intelligence: Russian occupation forces 'gradually leaving' Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant (kyivindependent.com)

Reveal hidden contents

Russian occupation forces stationed at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant are "gradually leaving" the premises amid the rising threat of Russia's sabotage attack, Ukraine's military intelligence reported on June 30.

Among the first to leave the station were three officials from Russia's state-owned nuclear company Rosatom, who had managed Russian-installed personnel at the plant, reads the report.

Ukrainian employees who previously signed a contract with Rosatom were advised to evacuate before July 5, while the personnel remaining at the station were instructed to "blame Ukraine in case of any emergencies," the Ukrainian intelligence agency wrote.

As of today, the head of the plant's legal department, the chief inspector, and the deputy in charge of the plant's supplies are known to have evacuated to Russian-occupied Crimea.

The number of Russian military patrols is also decreasing in the city of Enerhodar, which hosts the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant.

On June 23, Ukraine's military intelligence head Kyrylo Budanov told the New Stateman that Russia had completed preparations for an attack on the nuclear power plant, mined the plant's cooler, and placed the equipment loaded with explosives near four of the six power units.

According to the Institute for the Study of War, Russia may be signaling its readiness to sabotage the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant to prevent a Ukrainian counteroffensive in the area.

No bueno.

Then the Poland tweet about wanting nukes.

No bueno.

• Rage+1 2

Only if they get lucky. Those are relatively small, unguided rockets. And without a computer targeting system that would be found in a helo, accuracy is pretty much non-existent. Not like firing a grenade launcher where you can make a pretty good guess as to it's trajectory, these are really for shooting targets maybe a mile or two away. Good luck eyeballing that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

That tweet re: Biden admin is spot on IMO. I know folks here have praised this admin for how they’ve handled this but I’m more and more disappointed frankly. Asking UKR to take back their country and defeat the Russians without giving them to tools they need is frustrating…and that they have taken this stance based on their hope that Putin will somehow lose the war but remain in power is stupid.

Biden seems to be still, more or less, on the "help but don't help too much because nukes are scary."

There's more to say on the different GOP responses to that, but it gets borderline CR.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've probably asked this before but is there any chance our defense/intel/state communities have decided that dragging this out somehow benefits the US? I feel like that is China's position on the flip side, it is possible we think the same?

I see some value to it: bleeding an army out until they essentially do not have one to do these types of actions for another 20 years and forcing the population's hand in making change in their governing systems being the biggest. I'd love to see the data set our government is working with guiding our decision making. Maybe they think if we give Ukraine all they need to take over their territory too quickly, Putin could regroup in some way. Or maybe this buys time for the rest of Europe to ramp up production of their military. 

:shrug:

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Biden seems to be still, more or less, on the "help but don't help too much because nukes are scary."

Which is EXACTLY what he should be doing.  I support Ukraine, but I also support the continued existence of mankind.  So yeah, that's the play.  If this was similar to Kuwait/Iraq it would be different, but less oil and more nukes.

I've probably asked this before but is there any chance our defense/intel/state communities have decided that dragging this out somehow benefits the US? I feel like that is China's position on the flip side, it is possible we think the same?

Gotta give all that TB time to work!