Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

16 hours ago, Viper said:

The first competition between a Ukrainian athlete and a “neutral” russian athlete since the start of the full scale war went exactly as you’d imagine.

Ukraine’s Olha Kharlan defeated “neutral” Anna Smirnova in fencing. Despite Kharlan clarifying before the match that she wouldn’t do the handshake afterwards, the “neutral” russian attempted it anyway and then feigned confusion and hurt when she was rejected. The defeated Smirnova then staged a protest, refusing to leave until Kharlan was disqualified and she was declared winner instead.(Fortunately, she was ignored.)

Absolutely no decency or sense of perspective amidst their country’s ongoing imperial genocide. Turns out russians can protest though.

Not understanding how this is the "first competition" between a Ukranian athlete and a Russian. There's been several high profile incidents in Women's tennis between Ukranian and Russian competitors.

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

These guys are the turncoat pussies that sided with Russia. The Muslim guerilla fighters are the ones that gave them hell, then showed up in Afghanistan and gave us hell. 

Yep, the hard line was killed or left. Fuckers hit me a few times. We had reports of them in Helmand and the British got real nervous. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Definitely should do this. 

I also am old enough to remember that.  And I would also observe that about half our wars start over a dispute over freedom of navigation--the Quasi War, the Barbary Wars, the War of 1812, the Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II (if you drill down far enough into our dispute with Japan).

So that's a real good way to start a war with Russia.  And I'm just not sure we're going to do that for the benefit of . . . checking notes . . . people in the developing world.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Everyone should read that FT piece.  It's a fantastic summary of Russia and its way of being in the world.  And of the rest of our collective shortcomings in realizing the truth and addressing it.

From the author's description of Prof. Snyder: "Snyder has been chided as a perma-pessimist; a leading figure in a western liberal intellectual elite so browbeaten in recent years, the critique runs, that it is now hopelessly addicted to catastrophising."

Hey, @Brisketexan--I might say that you've been revealed, but then nobody would ever accuse you of being "a leading figure" any "intellectual elite."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Hey, @Brisketexan--I might say that you've been revealed, but then nobody would ever accuse you of being "a leading figure" any "intellectual elite."

Hey.  I am in the top 3 of Surly rep points.  That DEFINITELY makes me a leading figure.

But, you've got me on the "of the intellectual elite" part of it.  And the FT ain't gonna write a piece on "a leading figure of a bunch of assholes."

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hey.  I am in the top 3 of Surly rep points.  That DEFINITELY makes me a leading figure.

But, you've got me on the "of the intellectual elite" part of it.  And the FT ain't gonna write a piece on "a leading figure of a bunch of assholes."

You're Top 3 in rep points solely as a result of your number of posts.

On a per-post basis, . . . you aint looking so hot, friend.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

a0bd00f8-aba0-40d3-bf9c-ae4084ddcbb8_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Patton was correct, we should have marched our boys all the way to Moscow and pushed the RU out of Germany, I think had we done that, perhpas the last 60 - 70 years history is different, but that's another matter.

For another thread to delve into it, but it would have changed the entire world - the lack of proxy wars, how the Middle East would look, how Africa would look.  Nuclear proliferation might not have been as prevalent (or at the least, they wouldn't have been deployed to Turkey, Cuba, etc.). The amount of civil wars from lack of proxy wars, etc.

• Hook 'Em 6

52 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

For another thread to delve into it, but it would have changed the entire world - the lack of proxy wars, how the Middle East would look, how Africa would look.  Nuclear proliferation might not have been as prevalent (or at the least, they wouldn't have been deployed to Turkey, Cuba, etc.). The amount of civil wars from lack of proxy wars, etc.

Our perceptions of who the good guys are if we invaded — and presumably nuked, otherwise we probably don’t win — someone that was an ally just days before might be different. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Heard a report today that Ukraine is struggling to build it's own drones at the quantity needed because China is selling the necessary components to Russia. However, an area of focus for Ukrainian research has been developing AI for the drones so that when the Russians are able to interfere with the drones on the battlefield, instead of just falling to the ground, they can attack a target without ongoing communication with the operator.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I would be interested to read the restaurant and menu commentary from the FT's time with you.

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Jesus christ dude, save some pussy for the rest of us. 

I imagine the number of sexual encounters that were procured after referencing one's Surly status is well into the negative numbers.

Which is why I just don't talk about any of this shit with my wife.

• Haha 5