Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Remind him that aggy thought that changing conferences to the SEC would solve all of their woes and make them great and that they would no longer be a mid-tier/bottom-tier team, and ask him how many conference or division championships they have since joining the SEC.

Like that would work. These are the people who think funding a terrorist campus is a good idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

GA_BmIAW8AA_r1_?format=png&name=medium

People on top blaming the people on bottom and the people on the bottom blaming the people on top, and everybody constantly in CYA mode, making sure that when the music stops, they still have a chair.

Soviet Union of the 1940s or Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s or Russia of the 2020s?

Episode 8 GIF by MacGruber

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, statsman said:

Russia sees that the west is not producing enough shells for Ukraine, that Israel is embroiled in a war (that heats up as soon as Hezbollah enters), and…a potential Taiwan blockade or invasion. 

Really, the U.S. and NATO need to recognize the reality and commit to major increases in defense spending. No bad actors are currently deterred. 

I don’t know if I agree with that take. Russia is getting smoked by cheap ass FPV drones. They’re losing like a thousand to ten thousand men per kilometer they take from Ukraine right now. We have a fuck load more firepower around Taiwan and taiwan itself isn’t as defenseless as Ukraine was. What exactly is Hezbollah waiting for if they’re not deterred? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, B00M said:

I don’t know if I agree with that take. Russia is getting smoked by cheap ass FPV drones. They’re losing like a thousand to ten thousand men per kilometer they take from Ukraine right now. We have a fuck load more firepower around Taiwan and taiwan itself isn’t as defenseless as Ukraine was. What exactly is Hezbollah waiting for if they’re not deterred? 

I, personally, have an agenda, and I’ll admit to it. I think the world has a lot of bad actors that are unwilling to adhere to accepted order. Russia has already invaded Ukraine. China is increasingly aggressive in the Pacific, and there is a very good strategy proposed for them wrt Taiwan- a naval blockade. What would the U.S. do, if that happened? Also, Iran has been destabilizing the ME for well over a decade. Russia, China and Iran have an alliance, an axis, based on mutual opportunism. Each sees opportunities to further their own goals by weakening or distracting the west (the US) in the other theatres. 

My agenda is that I would like to see US foreign policy emphasize deterrence by increasing the defense budget. We are entering a new Cold War, and winning it will require a commitment. I agree with the old answer, from the first Cold War, in regards to how much the U.S. should spend on defense- “enough to keep us out of a war and not one dollar more”. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, statsman said:

I, personally, have an agenda, and I’ll admit to it. I think the world has a lot of bad actors that are unwilling to adhere to accepted order. Russia has already invaded Ukraine. China is increasingly aggressive in the Pacific, and there is a very good strategy proposed for them wrt Taiwan- a naval blockade. What would the U.S. do, if that happened? Also, Iran has been destabilizing the ME for well over a decade. Russia, China and Iran have an alliance, an axis, based on mutual opportunism. Each sees opportunities to further their own goals by weakening or distracting the west (the US) in the other theatres. 

My agenda is that I would like to see US foreign policy emphasize deterrence by increasing the defense budget. We are entering a new Cold War, and winning it will require a commitment. I agree with the old answer, from the first Cold War, in regards to how much the U.S. should spend on defense- “enough to keep us out of a war and not one dollar more”. 

Perhaps, but China, Russia, and Iran are allies of convenience. Like you said they're opportunists and definitely seems like they could just as easily fuck one another over.

48 minutes ago, statsman said:

The unfortunate reality is that we can’t afford to take on much greater deficit with interest rates increasing debt payments to $1T and rising. Inflation could easily spike again if we fuck around, and then the appetite to support Ukraine (or anyone) will really turn. We need Israel and Saudi to hold the Middle East together while we support Ukraine with scraps, to hold Russia in forever war until they collapse, while our focus is containing China.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

China is increasingly aggressive in the Pacific, and there is a very good strategy proposed for them wrt Taiwan- a naval blockade. What would the U.S. do, if that happened?

Their strategies suck though.

If they do a blockade and Taiwan starts sinking Chinese naval ships, then what?   China going to take that laying down?  Or do they try and pull a Russia and hammer the shit out of Taiwan and end up killing a shitload of Taiwanese civilians and wiping out factories and workers that Western companies depend upon?

What about a strategy to challenge the US? What if the US sails into the area, does China have the balls to pop off a missile or two and then watch numerous Chinese ships sink to the bottom (which ends the blockade)? Or do they tuck their tails between their legs and do nothing? 

The problem with a military action on the part of China, is that up until a military action is initiated, China is fully in control of their future. Once they pull the gun out of the holster, they are no longer fully in control of their future, and they do not know how things will actually play out. Whether we will initiate a military response or an economic response, they only know that there will be a response. They may think they know, but their neighbor Putin thought he knew, and he is on day 650+ of a 3-day or 2-week war.

But wait, there's more!

How long does Xi remain in power if hundreds of millions of Chinese are suddenly out of work, in the streets, looking for food, because we and a few other nations stop trade with China?

Even if it's just 200 million out of work, how does that story write itself?  Can China's 2 million man army keep hundreds of millions of pissed-off/hungry Chinese out of the streets across the world's fourth-largest country? Can they keep those people fully fed if they have even a drop of of a few percentage points of food imports (which will lead to food hoarding and runs on existing stockpiles - we saw things go to shit with COVID there)? How does the economy work if the money stops flowing in?

And given that most of the largest tech companies that do business in China, rely on Taiwan at some point for this or that critical part, and that most of them have been skittish over China's COVID shutdowns and logistics issues, how does it work for China when those companies get fully spooked and pull the plug and move their manufacturing to India, Vietnam, maybe even the Americas, etc.? (especially if those companies are told to stop trading with China, but many are already taking measures and looking elsewhere).

How does all of that work out for Xi and his oligarch buddies?  Do the hundreds of millions of out-of-work and potentially hungry Chinese cheer him on and throw parades for him?  Is that how that works when dictatorships fail to keep the people out of the streets?

statesman, that comes across as being a dick and I apologize, but Xi has 1.4 billion people whose economic well being would be threatened by his actions towards a country of 24 million people. Is Xi an actual gambler like Putin? Or is he a risk-taker?

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

Perhaps, but China, Russia, and Iran are allies of convenience. Like you said they're opportunists and definitely seems like they could just as easily fuck one another over.

They would absolutely fuck each other over if it would improve their position in the world. Xi hasn't given Putin what he wanted with Ukraine because he cares more about not pissing off the West than satisfying Putin, plus he's got Putin in a bind as it is, and is taking advantage of him. The Soviet Union of the old days would not have allowed the Chinese to use them like Xi is doing in 2023, but the Soviet Union of the old days wouldn't struggle like Russia is in 2023.

10 minutes ago, statsman said:

Also, Iran has been destabilizing the ME for well over a decade.

I would argue that we destabilized the Middle East (and North Africa) more between 2003-2013 than Iran did in decades.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Oh wait, now our deficit levels are an issue because of Ukrainian aid?  Was I asleep the last 25 years?  Foreign aid has been, and will continue to be 1-3% of our federal budget.  The weapons systems we're giving have already been manufactured and purchased.  Now, there is a proper conversation to be had on the encumbered debt service on some of those platforms which have fluctuated with interest rates but it's nowhere in the same ballpark as some of the "STOP AID TO UKRAINE NOW!" crowd in the U.S. thinks it is.  It's not even the same fucking sport.  

Tying it to Israel is one thing.

Tying it to the current interest rate environment is another thing.

Tying it both at the same time is insane.  

Our government has a proud, proud history of intertwining funding bills with other random shit in all kinds of fiscal and monetary policy environs.  But we usually cut that shit out when allied lives are on the line.    

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even if it's just 200 million out of work, how does that story write itself?  Can China's 2 million man army keep hundreds of millions of pissed-off/hungry Chinese out of the streets across the world's fourth-largest country?

Give them an SKS and boat ticket to Taiwan?  We've seen Russians be just fine with their boys being sent into a meat grinder.  Are we sure China is any different?

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Give them an SKS and boat ticket to Taiwan?  We've seen Russians be just fine with their boys being sent into a meat grinder.  Are we sure China is any different?

Even if China could get them transported over 100 miles of open ocean to Taiwan, it doesn't fix their cratered economy. It doesn't bring back Western companies who are either prevented by sanctions from continuing business with China, or who are more likely to say "fuck this, we relied upon stable Taiwanese and Chinese markets and you fucked around and we'll go with India and Vietnam who are stable and who aren't trying to take over more and more of the surrounding areas."

And that doesn't even get into the fact that this would disrupt/shutdown some of the largest companies in the world - https://companiesmarketcap.com/taiwan/largest-companies-in-taiwan-by-market-cap/

And if China throws up a blockade/creates a war zone, insurance companies will put a stop to most ships going into those areas, which will hammer the Chinese economy even more and/or cause more food problems.  Ukraine is providing a blue print for what happens when a major power fucks around and finds out, only Russia could somewhat skate by some of the economic problems because their economy and population are a small fraction of China's. China won't have that luxury.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Navalny is missing.  Putin must be worried.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/11/europe/russian-opposition-leader-alexey-navalny-missing-intl

Lawyers have made several attempts to get access to two penal colonies near Moscow where Navalny, who has suffered serious health issues, was believed to be, spokesperson Kira Yarmysh said on X on Monday. They were informed that the 47-year-old was not at the IK-6 or IK-7 penal colonies, Yarmysh added.

“On Friday and throughout today, neither IK-6 nor IK-7 responded to them,” Yarmysh posted, adding that Navalny had been missing for six days. Navalny was last imprisoned in the IK-6 penal colony east of Moscow.

• Rage+1 5
  • Prepare your anus 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even if China could get them transported over 100 miles of open ocean to Taiwan, it doesn't fix their cratered economy. It doesn't bring back Western companies who are either prevented by sanctions from continuing business with China, or who are more likely to say "fuck this, we relied upon stable Taiwanese and Chinese markets and you fucked around and we'll go with India and Vietnam who are stable and who aren't trying to take over more and more of the surrounding areas."

And that doesn't even get into the fact that this would disrupt/shutdown some of the largest companies in the world - https://companiesmarketcap.com/taiwan/largest-companies-in-taiwan-by-market-cap/

And if China throws up a blockade/creates a war zone, insurance companies will put a stop to most ships going into those areas, which will hammer the Chinese economy even more and/or cause more food problems.  Ukraine is providing a blue print for what happens when a major power fucks around and finds out, only Russia could somewhat skate by some of the economic problems because their economy and population are a small fraction of China's. China won't have that luxury.

I heard a podcast from a former ambassador to the PRC, who said it is a mistake to think, because Jimping is a dictator of an authoritarian state, to assume China acts under a single will. He said the PLA leadership is extremely hawkish and spoiling for a war, so don’t count on rational actions. Of course, that may just be their version of strategic ambiguity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, statsman said:

I heard a podcast from a former ambassador to the PRC, who said it is a mistake to think, because Jimping is a dictator of an authoritarian state, to assume China acts under a single will. He said the PLA leadership is extremely hawkish and spoiling for a war, so don’t count on rational actions. Of course, that may just be their version of strategic ambiguity. 

I kind of doubt it after Xi has spent the last 10 years purging the Communist party leadership and the military of potential threats to his power.

44 minutes ago, statsman said:

10 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I kind of doubt it after Xi has spent the last 10 years purging the Communist party leadership and the military of potential threats to his power.

I don't know fuck about shit when it comes to the internal workings of the CCP or the PLA, but I do know people well enough that even within an authoritarian state like China, there are bound to be factions, some more hardcore than others.

https://thediplomat.com/2023/12/the-rising-tide-of-imperial-han-nationalism-in-china/

The Imperial Han movement in China, a robust expression of Han nationalism, is defined by three distinct subgroups: the radical, conservative, and revisionist factions. Each offers a unique perspective on Han ethnicity’s role in China’s past, present, and future.

The Radical Faction: The most assertive of the three, radicals seek to restore the vast territorial expanse of Chinese history, encompassing lands governed by both Han and non-Han dynasties like the Yuan and Qing. Their expansionist ideology is driven by a desire to reclaim “lost” territories and reinforce Han dominance. 

Radicals harbor ambitions that extend across a broad historical canvas, aiming to avenge past humiliations, particularly against countries like Japan. Their stance includes extreme measures, such as economic and cultural colonization, to assert China’s dominance.

The Conservative Faction: More restrained in territorial claims, conservatives base their aspirations on ancient Chinese literature and records. They advocate for a China that mirrors territorial descriptions from these texts, encompassing an ambitiously large area from Lake Baikal in Siberia to the Rocky Mountains in North America. Unlike radicals, conservatives’ territorial ambitions are rooted not in the peak territories of various dynasties but rather in historical texts – like the “Classic of Mountains and Sea,” which is read by this faction as a historical account of ancient Chinese exploration, reaching all the way to today’s western United States. 

Their approach also includes aggressive strategies against perceived historical violators of the Han people, with extreme suggestions like using nuclear force as retaliation for past aggressions, specifically against Japan for its actions in World War II.

The Revisionist Faction: Representing a blend of traditionalism and modernism, revisionists revere Han history while acknowledging the Chinese Communist Party’s role in continuing the Han legacy. They view the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) as a modern manifestation of this legacy. The revisionist segment of the faction parallels the achievements of the PLA with those of ancient Han warriors, creating a narrative continuum of Han dominance. 

This approach not only validates the present through the past but also crafts a vision for the future. This faction synthesizes traditional Han worship with contemporary Chinese identity, occasionally leading to syncretic beliefs, such as viewing Mao Zedong as the new leader of the Han nationality, to symbolize the continuity of China’s historical and modern narratives.

These three factions collectively form the intricate fabric of Han nationalism in modern China. While the conservatives and radicals each have their unique interpretations and extreme demands, they, along with the revisionists, contribute significantly to the ongoing narrative of the Imperial Han. As China’s influence grows globally, the ideologies and actions of these factions gain increasing relevance and warrant close scrutiny for their potential impact on both domestic and international fronts.

Let's not get too focused on China in this thread, though, as I recall early on, any posts not directly associated with the war in Ukraine were promptly deleted.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

IMG_2036.gif.45a2b35dfe9283d372b2ef865c6cf40d.gif

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised.  Putin can't risk people supporting Navalny come next March.

And there's an uptick in pro-Russian accounts pushing all kinds of Israel/Gaza stuff, among other things, trying to dominate the trending sections of social media sites.

• Hook 'Em 1

Back in November this happened

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/14/russias-putin-imposes-new-curbs-on-election-reporting

The changes Putin greenlighted limit coverage of Central Election Commission sessions to registered media outlets, which could exclude freelancers or independent journalists, according to the reports on Tuesday. The amendments prohibit media from reporting on the commission’s actions at military bases or in areas under martial law without advance clearance from regional and military authorities.

They also bar the publication of any campaign content on “blocked sources”, referring to restricted websites and social media services. Under an intensifying crackdown on the opposition and the flow of information, Russia has banned an array of websites and services, including Facebook and Instagram.

To enforce this ban, the Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media also reportedly plans to block certain virtual private networks (VPNs) that Russians widely use to bypass internet restrictions. The state-owned news agency RIA quoted the ministry on Sunday as saying that it could block certain “VPN services and VPN protocols” that an expert commission identifies as a “threat.”

Meanwhile a few days ago, the Russian news agency mentioned that March 17 is the date, and that the Central Election Commission (right out of the USSR) must approve any candidates.

https://tass.com/politics/1718037

Russia’s self-nominated candidates for president must submit paperwork to the Central Election Commission by December 27, while party-nominated candidates must do so by January 1, said commission member Natalia Budarina.

"The CEC of Russia will have 10 days to make a decision whether to register a candidate. So no later than February 10, registration will be granted to the candidates that all of us, citizens of Russia, will then see on the ballot during the voting days," she said.

On December 7, the Federation Council passed a resolution setting the date of the Russian presidential election as March 17, 2024.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is why I think the west needs to prioritize defense budgeting

Alarm is growing over Europe’s weakened militaries and empty arsenals. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has revealed the risk.
https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/alarm-nato-weak-military-empty-arsenals-europe-a72b23f4?st=kly7ar39d2e6a1i&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, statsman said:

This is why I think the west needs to prioritize defense budgeting

Alarm is growing over Europe’s weakened militaries and empty arsenals. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has revealed the risk.
https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/alarm-nato-weak-military-empty-arsenals-europe-a72b23f4?st=kly7ar39d2e6a1i&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

Yeah, after the Berlin Wall fell and the Warsaw Pact/Soviet Union started falling apart, and then we wrecked shop in the first Gulf War, it was pretty easy for everybody to take a breather for a few decades.  Kosovo should have been a wakeup call. Afghanistan was fairly low-intensity and didn't need the kinds of forces needed in Europe. Iraq in 2003...we did it with 250,000 or so troops, a fraction of what we had in the first Gulf War, and that ultimately proved to be a huge problem as we couldn't secure a lot of areas, and how we fought that would be far different than say a European battlefield.

With that said, European defense industries are starting to pick up quite a bit of steam, and American defense contractors are really picking up steam.

The good news is, as the article mentions, Russia is pretty limited on who they can actually invade right now.  I disagree with the article that Russia can fully rearm in 3-4 years.  They have lost/are losing a shitload of vehicles whose production lines shut down years or even decades ago, and they recently just restarted production of armored vehicle turbines (which they are having to do by hand, which is fucking insane). And they can't bring many of those production lines back online due to the machinery being stolen/sold off/repurposed.  They are still losing more vehicles per month than they are able to produce.

Belarus or Georgia are about it for Russia.  I'm not sure they could take any of the CSTO countries outside of Belarus or Armenia, but even Armenia would present logistics issues.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, after the Berlin Wall fell and the Warsaw Pact/Soviet Union started falling apart, and then we wrecked shop in the first Gulf War, it was pretty easy for everybody to take a breather for a few decades.  Kosovo should have been a wakeup call. Afghanistan was fairly low-intensity and didn't need the kinds of forces needed in Europe. Iraq in 2003...we did it with 250,000 or so troops, a fraction of what we had in the first Gulf War, and that ultimately proved to be a huge problem as we couldn't secure a lot of areas, and how we fought that would be far different than say a European battlefield.

With that said, European defense industries are starting to pick up quite a bit of steam, and American defense contractors are really picking up steam.

The good news is, as the article mentions, Russia is pretty limited on who they can actually invade right now.  I disagree with the article that Russia can fully rearm in 3-4 years.  They have lost/are losing a shitload of vehicles whose production lines shut down years or even decades ago, and they recently just restarted production of armored vehicle turbines (which they are having to do by hand, which is fucking insane). And they can't bring many of those production lines back online due to the machinery being stolen/sold off/repurposed.  They are still losing more vehicles per month than they are able to produce.

Belarus or Georgia are about it for Russia.  I'm not sure they could take any of the CSTO countries outside of Belarus or Armenia, but even Armenia would present logistics issues.

The bolded part is the key.  They certainly have to finish with Ukraine before trying to take on anyone else.  A two front war is absolutely out of the question for them.  Which makes me wish a motherfucker would.  

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/12/europe/russia-alexey-navalny-missing-intl/index.html

The trial of Alexey Navalny was postponed on Tuesday, one day after his team said it had lost contact with the jailed Russian opposition leader, who was believed to be imprisoned in a penal colony about 150 miles east of Moscow.

Concern was sparked on Monday after spokesperson Kira Yarmysh put out several social media posts, highlighting that her team had lost contact with Navalny, who was supposedly being held in the IK-6 penal colony.

The spokesperson for Navalny, who was jailed for 19 years on extremism charges in August in addition to a previous sentence, cited a prison employee who claimed the 47-year-old had “left their colony” but still could not confirm his whereabouts on Tuesday.

Ivan Zhdanov, the director of Navalny’s Anti-Corruption Foundation, said in a post on X that the politician’s trial was postponed again on Tuesday. When the judge asked a question regarding Navalny’s whereabouts, he was redirected to the Federal Penitentiary service, Zhdanov said

Speaking on a conference call with journalists Tuesday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov expressed the Kremlin’s strong objection to US intervention after the White House said it was “deeply concerned” about reports of Navalny’s disappearance.

“We are talking here about one prisoner who, according to the law, was found guilty and is serving his sentence, and in this case, we consider any intervention by anyone, including the United States of America, unacceptable and impossible,” Peskov told reporters.

He added that the Kremlin had neither the capacity nor willingness to monitor prisoners’ whereabouts.

Navalny’s disappearance came just days after Putin announced he would run for president again in Russia’s elections in March 2024, in a move that could see him retain power until at least 2030.

cheryl-cole-okay.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

they Romanov'd his ass for sure.

Yeah, if you have the Kremlin spokesman out there saying the Russian government can't keep track of, and doesn't care to keep track of Navalny, he's most likely dead.  They'll say he's been shuffled around the penal colonies for the next 4 months.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I think it's worse than that, remember we are typically conservative in KIA/WIA forecasting.  

And we know they leave their wounded behind way too often, and that their battlefield care is not even close to Western nations.

The fact that verifiably they've lost 3,200+ officers is also pretty telling.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brakeman said:

more!

Link to the Sky News article: https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-russia-war-latest-putin-sky-news-blog-12541713?postid=6910575#liveblog-body

US intelligence officials have assessed that Russia has suffered 315,000 dead and injured troops since its invasion of Ukraine.

Officials say this represents nearly 90% of military personnel Russia had when the conflict began. 

That means they only have 35k troops left? That and a buncha conscripts?  That can't be right.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And we know they leave their wounded behind way too often, and that their battlefield care is not even close to Western nations.

The fact that verifiably they've lost 3,200+ officers is also pretty telling.

And losing roughly 10 men to one officer, 300+ kia seems about right.  

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Link to the Sky News article: https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-russia-war-latest-putin-sky-news-blog-12541713?postid=6910575#liveblog-body

US intelligence officials have assessed that Russia has suffered 315,000 dead and injured troops since its invasion of Ukraine.

Officials say this represents nearly 90% of military personnel Russia had when the conflict began. 

That means they only have 35k troops left? That and a buncha conscripts?  That can't be right.

keep in mind that 350k troop count was talking about Russian troops involved in the original  3 day invasion.

since then they have also transferred an undetermined number of troops (sailors, airmen) from other Russian bases that werent part of the original attack force, plus the conscripts, and I think the 315K # includes Wagner, which Russia doesnt count as being part of their troops.  

But 315k KIA/WIA is a fucking huge number. 

our total CASUALTY number in Vietnam was something like 215,000. That includes everything, WIA/MIA/KIA/Captured and was over 20 years.

These fuck sticks managed to beat that number by almost 50% in less than 2 years.

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2