Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Have to agree. I worked in close proximity (same PRT) with Aussies and they were always ready to go do some shit. However had a group in Helmand from Norway. Brits told me they would not come and support our teams. Norwegian gives me his mobile number and says " we will." Ended up giving him 10 cases of Tiger beer and throwing a bbq at our house for him and the senior NCO's. Well worth it.  

It's funny how we are motivated by beer 

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

It's funny how we are motivated by beer 

Man, I always carry beer. In earlier times I carried newspapers as well. Those two have gotten me past so many damn checkpoints. Want to cross a bridge? Para says no, well what if I told ya I have a case of ice cold beer in the back of that vehicle Sgt. It is 108 and your boys from Liverpool look a bit parched. 

General Order #1 never applied to me so why not. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is interesting - talking about the PR/propaganda war being waged, and how the Russian propaganda may not be aimed at the West, but instead BRICS.

Implications include that Russia really did think this would be over quick, and when it bogged down, they began getting the social media machinery to really churning, hence the 6-7 day delay.

Also indicative of their collapse on this issue in the West and a bit of opportunism.  The Russians have these networks and tools in the West but aren’t scaling up now on Ukraine.  Why? Because of the near universal disgust in the West for Russia’s war.  They’ll keep their baseline activity up but it’s not worth an offensive using these tactics because people will realize it and because they aren’t going to move the needle much.

BRICS, Africa, Asia is a place where there’s less knowledge on the issue, less emotional investment, and a more open to influence population. And, with the West united Russia can- and is- playing the old colonial grievance card and picking old scabs.  This is really effective in these places, and could eventually come back around to re-sway part of the Western left.  South Africa’s president has already come out as “full Russia.” These are also the client states for Russian arms and Russian resource extraction/heavy machinery. 

This is more about reactivating old Cold War era networks and messages than creating new ones, playing on USSR anti-colonial street cred. Ironic given that this is a war to re-capture a former Russian colony. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Can you people appreciate what it’s like for me to work with Brisket? I mean, it’s just like this day in and day out.

God, it makes me pine for the days of working with @DDD Dad, and that was no picnic—believe me.

Makes me think I need @Shady Ray up for a job—at least he’ll take half of September off to drink bier.

Prior to this past week, I would agree with you.

But after the past week spent in the UK, which consisted of workdays mixed with booze, dinners mixed with booze and work, and a couple of nightcaps that got way too boozy and ran way too late, I have come to the sad realization that I have four consecutive nights in me - max. The horrors of getting old.

But I would definitely find a way to "enjoy the sites" during the latter half of that time, so I guess your point nevertheless stands.

spacer.png

That said, I am miles behind on this thread. Will read up while my pounding head and aching body recovers now that I am safely back home.

But I can report without reservation after a sample size of approximately one dozen very chatty London and Edinburgh cabbies: Nukes over Moscow would be a widely acceptable next step to this voting block. 

Edited by Shady Ray

23 hours ago, Bevo said:

Well, we don't even try. There has been no discussion about what led up to the war. And there has been no discussion of what Putin's next step will be. At best we talk about the US and US politicians but that is a huge mistake making us the center of everything. It isn't political to talk about how Putin will react and his reaction is to the West anyway, not just the US.

There is a thread on the causes. I think it is mainly about the undeveloped oil and gas in Ukraine being a threat to Russian domination over European energy. Ukrainian moving west and starting development is what set this off with invasion of Crimea and Donbas which are the most critical gas areas. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

There is a thread on the causes. I think it is mainly about the undeveloped oil and gas in Ukraine being a threat to Russian domination over European energy. Ukrainian moving west and starting development is what set this off with invasion of Crimea and Donbas which are the most critical gas areas. 

There was a post earlier in this thread that had a fantastic video about just this.  It showed the identified, but untapped oil reserves that are in the Black Sea and that was in Ukrainian territory based on Crimea…which Putin took.  There are also untapped reserves in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.  The third area is in the west near the Moldova border…near the Transnistria area that Russia is occupying in Moldova….seeing a pattern.

Large US oil companies were working with Ukraine to access this oil around Crimea when Putin invaded…but they have abandoned those projects.

Net was that Ukraine could potentially provide as much oil and gas as Russia which would be great for their economy, but would not be great for Putin’s plan for growth and for having leverage over Europe and Germany.

4 minutes ago, ABSR said:

There was a post earlier in this thread that had a fantastic video about just this.  It showed the identified, but untapped oil reserves that are in the Black Sea and that was in Ukrainian territory based on Crimea…which Putin took.  There are also untapped reserves in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.  The third area is in the west near the Moldova border…near the Transnistria area that Russia is occupying in Moldova….seeing a pattern.

Large US oil companies were working with Ukraine to access this oil around Crimea when Putin invaded…but they have abandoned those projects.

Net was that Ukraine could potentially provide as much oil and gas as Russia which would be great for their economy, but would not be great for Putin’s plan for growth and for having leverage over Europe and Germany.

It's also a pattern that all of those regions are highly Russian speaking and in Transnistria's case never wanted to be part of Moldova.

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

The main problem with this theory is similar to theories about how the U.S. invaded Iraq for its oil.  The old saw about catching more flies with honey than vinegar applies.  If Russia’s primary interest here was to keep itself secure as Europe’s leading energy provider, tools such as corrupt networks in Ukraine and other forms of economic coercion would have been more successful and far cheaper. Russian firms could have easily been in place to control the development of these resources and integrate them into Russian energy networks. 

Russian aims are not economic in nature, as evidenced by the fact that Putin embarked on an economically ruinous war that destroyed his biggest EU energy project— a scenario that was utterly predictable.  Unavoidable, even.  We need to look elsewhere for Russian motivation. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

5 Russian generals dead in three weeks.  

4 Soviet generals died in Afghanistan in 10 years.  

This is starting to get into American Civil War territory when it comes to generals being killed.

Well lets remember who shot Stonewall Jackson. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Jackson's shooting seems to have been accidental, and he was well respected by his troops, but your point stands.  It could be a fog of war own goal.

I was not implying he was fragged. Yes, his troops loved him, but shit happens. After seeing the video of their ambush response not sure I would stand between the troops and the Ukrainians. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The main problem with this theory is similar to theories about how the U.S. invaded Iraq for its oil.  The old saw about catching more flies with honey than vinegar applies.  If Russia’s primary interest here was to keep itself secure as Europe’s leading energy provider, tools such as corrupt networks in Ukraine and other forms of economic coercion would have been more successful and far cheaper. Russian firms could have easily been in place to control the development of these resources and integrate them into Russian energy networks. 

Russian aims are not economic in nature, as evidenced by the fact that Putin embarked on an economically ruinous war that destroyed his biggest EU energy project— a scenario that was utterly predictable.  Unavoidable, even.  We need to look elsewhere for Russian motivation. 

Did Putin fancy himself as reuniting Russia and USSR to the glory days he thinks they deserved, absolutely.   But he also felt he was going to have a 3 day excursion where they would do what they had done before in Georgia, Crimea etc.

And of course they spoke Russian, as they had been taken over for 50 years by USSR and forced to teach and use Russian as the primary language

But Ukraine was wanting to be it’s own country, and if Ukraine could access and leverage their oil reserves it would make Russia less powerful and influential, and even superfluous to Europe or other countries.  Putin and the Oligarchs are state sponsored Mafia, and a Ukraine that could compete or supplant Russian oil/gas could be economically and politically devastating.  

So Putin could work to diversify his industries, become better economically overall, be a better global partner….or he could make up Nazi, bio-warfare, nuclear, NATO, etc issues and do what he has always done as the head Russian Mafioso.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

5 Russian generals dead in three weeks.  

4 Soviet generals died in Afghanistan in 10 years.  

This is starting to get into American Civil War territory when it comes to generals being killed.

Probably not a coincidence. In the Civil War era, somebody like a Brigadier General or at least a full Colonel would have to get within rifle range to personally see to it that shit happened. Captains, Lieutenants, Sergeants, they were all there too, but with less freedom of action than now.

By WW1 and 2, lower and lower ranks got to be deciders, based on the spread-out formations, better commo, and better training. 

With the Russian Army (or anybody else who's poorly trained) you get to roll that back. They've got dudes with most of the same ranks we do, but as far as initiative, well, you've seen the videos.

• Haha 1

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-russia-uses-hypersonic-missiles-122753468.html

LONDON, March 19 (Reuters) - Russia said on Saturday it had used hypersonic Kinzhal (Dagger) missiles to destroy a large weapons depot in Ukraine's western Ivano-Frankivsk region. Russia's Interfax news agency said it was the first time Russia had deployed the hypersonic Kinzhal system since it sent its troops into Ukraine on Feb. 24.
Defence ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov told a briefing that the underground depot hit by the Kinzhal system on Friday housed Ukrainian missiles and aircraft ammunition, according to a recording of the briefing shared by Russian news agencies.

1 minute ago, rpspeed said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-russia-uses-hypersonic-missiles-122753468.html

LONDON, March 19 (Reuters) - Russia said on Saturday it had used hypersonic Kinzhal (Dagger) missiles to destroy a large weapons depot in Ukraine's western Ivano-Frankivsk region. Russia's Interfax news agency said it was the first time Russia had deployed the hypersonic Kinzhal system since it sent its troops into Ukraine on Feb. 24.
Defence ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov told a briefing that the underground depot hit by the Kinzhal system on Friday housed Ukrainian missiles and aircraft ammunition, according to a recording of the briefing shared by Russian news agencies.

I wonder how many of those they actually have

11 hours ago, BamaATL said:

One chorus of that, and I was back in 1970s Acapulco with my drunken uncle and our chimp sidekick, getting ready to track down the pair of black jaguars in the jungle across the lagoon, only to stumble across the mad scientist's lair.

Or maybe it was the tiger and the vampire. Ah, Mexico.

Russian terrorists blew up a dam near the mouth of the Irpin River near the village of Demidov

The village of Demydiv itself is under threat of complete flooding. Also a similar fate awaits the coastal villages to the river.

The fighting mascot of Chernihiv pyrotechnicians brilliantly performs the task of protecting the civilian population! Since the beginning of the war, SES sappers have used it to neutralize almost 90 explosive devices.

The safari on the occupiers continues.

Are the KAMAZ over? Now ZIL-131.

Anecdote of the day: in the Voronezh region (Russia), local officials are asking retailers to give the Rosguard some food "in connection with the situation in Ukraine."

A new valuable trophy for the Armed Forces - "Mercury-BM".

Mariupol, Russian T-72B3 destroyed

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Russia pulling out the hypersonic weapons is insanely telling. Real world data on those things in actual combat scenarios is probably the most valuable military intel on the planet, right now.

one will fall out of the sky and be a treasure of information 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

does that help develop an intercept missile ?

Their speed is over stated and by what we can tell they are no faster than our regular missiles.  Real time data will show us what we are up against.  Just the pure fact that they have claimed to use it might sound like Russian disinformation.  Because even if they have crumbs of it left we would snatch every little.piece up

• Hook 'Em 6

18 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Their speed is over stated and by what we can tell they are no faster than our regular missiles.  Real time data will show us what we are up against.  Just the pure fact that they have claimed to use it might sound like Russian disinformation.  Because even if they have crumbs of it left we would snatch every little.piece up

Lots of Russian super weapons fall somewhere between “vapor ware” and “disappointing” on the spectrum, inclusive. 

My favorite remains the MiG-25, which we believed was this Eastern Bloc super fighter capable of taking on anything in the skies.  We built an actual super fighter, the F-15, in response.  It turned out to be this hellacious hand welded rat rod of an interceptor, designed solely to shoot down bombers with gravity bombs that were really no longer the most important pillar of the nuclear triad.  A literal missile that you could sit on and kind of turn a little bit,

I love the MiG-25, to be clear. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2